JSA Storytime: Omega the Unknown

Good evening owls,

last issue (sort of)

Other urls found in this thread:

yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot.ca/2017/07/dc-rebirth-collection-sales-june-2017.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hi OP

:(

if there was comic news/drama today I missed it

enjoying the stock photo meme and shitting on Taylor Swift though

All these LCSes saying they are not ordering marvel's lenticular covers at all

Ultimately it just means that the numbers won't be as inflated as a normal launch, I guess?

You safe down there, OP?

What exactly are their problems with it that are different from the way Marvel has been doing cover gimmicks for the last 20 years?

Yeah + bad will with comic shops

curious how low the sales are cause Secret Empire is the lowest or second lowest marvel event since they started doing a bunch starting with mid 00s

this just got too real

Hello, Storyteller.

>Last issue(sort of)
... Okay. I'll just assume that will be evident once it comes up.

I'm inland and high ground, worried for the coast

> for the last 20 years
I think that's part of

They aren't free order like DC's where you can get as many as you please on their own.

It's one of those "bankrupt yourself and take up space ordering 150 copies of America for this one variant of another more popular book" things.

Does anyone have any recommendations for their favourite collected editions? The only chain bookstore in Canada is having a sale, and I am thinking about picking up a few nice looking collected editions. I read mostly anything.

You talking just trades or like omnis?

Do they have omnibuses? Generally it's good to get those even just to resell when they go out of print. My mind is drawing a blank on specifics though.

You should ask /shelf/ too if there's a thread up.

it's this stupid "You must have ordered 175% of this issue of this comic to be able to order the special cover" stuff

I think they're sick of having to deal with bullshit arcane order prerequisites

the hip hop covers were silly but it sounds like ordering lenticular covers is even worse, I don't blame shops for not wanting to put up with this bullshit so often

man, Omega is cute in his little suit with his glasses and his headband

Good on them, then. The way they sell those to retailers is a literal scam.

It's just so obviously insidious too since they're trying to hide how sales are getting raised for certain titles. At least on the simple 25:1 sort of requirements it's straightforward and the extra books you'd order are probably for a series people care about.

Are we gonna get Cliffhangered? Is Omega gonna get FOOLKILLED?

Omnibus or thicker trades. I think I might be swayed more to thicker trades for things, even though the omnibus would have resale value.

I love how he keeps the headband

Unfortunately, yes. The story continues into Defenders, and Gerber promised for several years that he was going to finish the story eventually, but broke ties with Marvel before he could get around to it.

Well you shouldn't say no to Mind MGMT and Stray Bullets if you can find it.

The Metal #3 preview reminded me of how sick I am of Jon and Damian already.

Somebody at DC must be aware of possible burnout of them cause I remember Priest said he couldn't use Damian in Defiance for that reason.

in a lot of cases the lenticular variants will sell enough to make up for having to buy tons of copies of regular covers that will collect dust in quarter bins, but it's still a huge waste of the store's resources and a really transparent way to inflate sales

>Figures punctuality would turn you on
Shit, she's got me figured out.

This being Canada, I was expected the Uber Allies omni to be well over $150, but it is actually only $59 (CAD). I think I will add that to the possible list, thanks!

I read that a free months ago, I think they pulled a "Rocks fall, everybody dies" ending?

is this a fight or an existential own?

Speaking of burnout, you ever wonder if there's even a point to having a superhero genre anymore, when literally the only thing anyone gives a shit about is Batman?

At this point, I kinda wish DC would just discontinue all their non Bat books so that the other IPs aren't forced into being supporting characters to a single franchise.

Hell, since Batman is apparently the only thing that sells anyway, why are they even bothering with the pretense? It's just gotten sad now.

Cranky, your thread failed. Give it up.

I was going to make an offensive joke here but I'm just gonna let it slide, today

Jon triggers me too much because I'm a dumb Chrisfag and even him being back in some form didn't un-trigger me so I just inherently avoid anything with him. He hasn't shown up in anything I care about though so it's not too difficult.

Not my fault everyone seems to be in denial.

Everything non Bat related you like is filler that DC only keeps around out of habit. It's time you acknowledged that.

>wild craggy Pennsylvania?

It's not like that's anything new. This series we're reading right now got cancelled after 10 issues. In the 90's Marvel split into editorial divisions: an X-Men division, a Spider-Man division, and an "everything else" division.

As Tommy Wiseau said, "das life!"

WELP

You might have had more of a point before the breakout success of Wonder Woman and to a lesser extent DCSHG

Please offend OP

The corporate bookstore near me had a shit load of Wonder Woman stuff on the shelves, and a random Mister X collection, which honestly surprised me.

Well, look at that

:(

>Omega cancelled
>Star-Lord returns in black and white by popular demand
What a world.

It's a little bit like Longshot in Vegas

>You're right, Harry-- it would be characteristic of Steve to create an entire series just as a practical joke

>It’s probably no real surprise that Batman continues to be DC’s most lucrative property, with 54 of their 100 placing titles being Batman or Batman-related (“Nightwing,” “Batgirl,” et al), totaling over 562K copies sold, larger than many publishers just with a single family.
>Batman is DC’s most lucrative property, quelle surprise – a staggering forty-seven of the ninety-eight DC branded books are either directly Batman, or a member of his extended “family” (“Nightwing”, “Batgirl”, and so on), and account for 599k of DC’s sales.

Despite Batman selling more than entire comic publishers, they still need some other titles to push them over the edge.

Justice League, Superman, and recently Harley, Flash, Wondy, and Suicide Squad in addition to the usual Sandman and other Vertigo titles.

Also they need those c listers to generate stories for future shows and movies.

look, new frontiers of /d/

>Wonder Woman
Please, sure the movie made money, but she didn't make Batman money. You have to remember this is a corporation, and just making money isn't good enough. The only measure of success is making ALL the money. Anything less than eight digits is a failure.

Does anyone have that page of some Amazing Heroes editors talking about what a loon Waid was handy? I'm pretty sure somebody's posted it around here before

this comic has been pretty /d/-adjacent overall

Well, they've still continued to publish and put top talent on all of these characters for decades and decades now, so it seems like they're all making enough to warrant continuous publishing into the foreseeable future.

the anger issues page?

You mean this?

this is some primo COMICS shit, owls

>but she didn't make Batman money

Except her movie has made more money than every other superhero origin movie, including Batman movies.

Don't be so pessimistic. People like things.

that's the one, thanks friend

what the fuck

>Batman Vol.1...19074
>Flash Vol.1...14972
>Wonder Woman Vol.1...12798
>Superman Vol.1...11685
>Detective Comics Vol.1...10427
>Batman Vol.2...9896
>Justice League Vol.1...9406
>Nightwing Vol.1...9333
>Green Arrow Vol.1...8595
>Wonder Woman Vol.2...8434

Wondy and Flash are doing good so far

this character arc is amazing

Yes, but that's just it, I don't understand why they keep doing that. It is, once again, the disingenuousness that bothers me. They clearly don't give a fuck about anything that isn't their precious cash cow, so why even bother?

Also,
>top talent
Venditti is STILL on Green Lantern, and Robinson is more than likely going to be meh at best.

This is not the most recent numbers (missing July) but here are all the trades so far:
yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot.ca/2017/07/dc-rebirth-collection-sales-june-2017.html

These don't even count Bookstore sales, the month of movie opening first 2 Rebirth trade were in top 10. By comparison first Rebirth Batman trade was outside of top 15 when it came out.

damn, he mad

Oh hey, Stan's talking about the KISS comic, that was going to be a massive boon to Gerber's career, but that ultimately wound up falling through after only two comics.

It's the one that the band members put their fucking blood in the ink of, but actually due to a printing error, the ink they put their blood into ended up in some other kids cartoon tie in or something, I gotta look it up again.

HA HA CLIFFHANGER

;___;

SON OF A BITCH

>His rage transcends mere verbage.
Oh that's good.

yeah, this one smarts

There are two Defenders issues to come and then we're going to dive into the imaginative remake

I've read all of Defenders, so if anyone needs character backstory, ask away.

ORCA!!!!

Thanks for reading, we'll be back either late Sunday or normal Monday (but Saturday is right out)

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

With this cliffhanger, I can't help but think of Vexx. Though at least Omega got a chance to finish.

god, what little Vext we got was so good

Unfortunately, the chance to finish is years later by a different writer.

Thanks again OP.

Missed the thread again. Time to bump the thread with conversations with no one again.

That Jolly Giant is a sex offender and we all know it.

This page may be the most outright "these guys are Steve Gerber's avatars" of the entire series.

"Getting cancelled, am I? Well fuck you, my ball comes home with me"

Jon a cute, but I share your pain. Damian was the much worse permanent addition to chose, Batman was already festooned with kids.

OMETAPHOR THE UNAMBIGUOUS

...WHO KICKS A GUY WHO JUST GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL?

children are assholes

Going out on a limb here and saying the bully who put him in the hospital or one of his goons, because Bullies gonna Bully.

Or, honestly, anyone. Marvel Civilians are assholes.