Canadian LCS owner blames current Marlel for store's closure

>One of the biggest factors in the sales decline, [owner of London, Ontario, Canada-based The Comic Book Collector Tim] Morris says, is the proliferation of needless, low-quality books the last few years from Marvel Comics especially. “Marvel Comics has been doing a bunch of crap for the last five years,” he said. So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four. “Give me one good Deadpool book,” Morris said.

>There’s also a disconnect between the company’s comic universe and the cinematic one.

>“(Fixing) continuity would bring a lot of people back,” Morris added.

>He’ll have customers come in the store fresh from the multiplex who are confused because they don’t understand why the Hulk’s alter ego, Bruce Banner, is dead.

>And Spider-Man is Hispanic.

>And Thor is a woman.

Sauce: lfpress.com/2017/08/25/forest-citys-first-comic-book-store-shutting-doors-after-38-years-due-to-declining-sales-and-changing-times

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/02/22/retailers-now-know-exactly-how-many-comics-to-overorder-to-qualify-for-those-incentives/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>So where there was once a single monthly title starring self-reflective mutant antihero Deadpool, there are now four
see this is what they keep doing, one book does good so they make 5 versions of that book and wonder why they don't sell

>he says, while wearing a Batman shirt
I'm not saying he's wrong about the general quality of Marvel books but he's doing a poor job of looking unbiased.

Peter's still around and so is "Odinson" and movie synergy didn't ever bring shit for sales.

>There’s also a disconnect between the company’s comic universe and the cinematic one.

Good.

It's weird, synergy was bad but what Marvel has done lately is the opposite and actually worse.

So is this a jab at DC or Marvel? Does it mean Marvel is not pulling in their fair share of readers with good stories? Or that DC's books are not better than Marvels to make up the difference?

But... original flavor Spider man and Thor have books about them.

People here keep talking about how they dread the MCU becoming popular because this meant synergy with the movies.

So far, the OPPOSITE is what's killing Marvel.

Miles only got ONE book. There are literally THREE peter parker books.

Stores closing is a very good thing, sooner this industry dies, closer this medium will get to being taken seriously.

Marvel fans say Marvel sucks now.

The article has no mention of DC or any of its characters and titles.

The article also forgot to respond to those aforementioned customers that Peter Parker STILL exists.

>This guy ruined his livelihood and is blaming Marvel because his shirt clearly outs him as a DCFag.

Not to mention, Bruce banner is back.

>The article has no mention of DC or any of its characters and titles.
Sorry but BATMAN is mentioned.

The Comic Book Collector also has a Facebook page but its posts are mostly about capeshit and mainstream geek culture.

why didn`t he stop to buy the Marvel`s "needless, low-quality books"?

Then why OP blame it on marvel?

are the LCS obligated to buy all the books? Can not they choose which to buy and in which quantity?

Absolute cretin here today.

>Morris says, is the proliferation of needless, low-quality books the last few years from Marvel Comics especially.
>From Marvel Comics especially
>Marvel Comics especially
>Marvel Comics
>Marvel

I wonder who it was a shot at.

Soooo DC, Indie Books and(Possibly) Mangas are nothing as well??

Marvel makes it so you have to by "x" amount of America to get "x" amount of variants on "x" book.

Basically if you want what the casuals will buy you have to take what nobody will buy.

>clearly doesnt like marvel
>continues to sell marvel
why didnt he stick to selling just DC like a bitch?

>diversity is our strength

wheres your sauce on that. I havent heard that before

Oh fuck off, I'm getting tired of these sanctimonious LCS owners. For fuck's sake, you bet your monies on a dying medium powered primarily by an ass-backwards industry, if you were a smart business man (and not a fanboy, like most of them) you would know this is a bad idea. And if Marvel's practices were so bad, why the fuck didn't you stop ordering their shit a long time ago?

Marvel's job is to sell. DC's job is to make good comics. Only one of them is holding up their end.

>Why doesn't he just refuse to sell 45% of his possible business?
Lot of econ majors here in Sup Forums.

honestly, you must be pretty new. This is and has been well discussed here.

I have no interest in archiving this. bleedingcool.com/2016/02/22/retailers-now-know-exactly-how-many-comics-to-overorder-to-qualify-for-those-incentives/

Many other sources from the alst 5 years on google. "Marvel variant order practices" or something should do.

This is pretty common info.

Hi Alonso, how is ms Amanat in bed?

Why don't these fucks just start selling manga as well and cash in on the weeb market?

marvel?

this guy sounds like an idiot.

I wonder if people on Sup Forums actually believe this... there must be a couple of them, at least.

>Claim product doesnt sell
>Stock it anyway
econ 101

>Marvel
>selling
Did you miss the fact that their sales are so bad that they're causing the industry to literally collapse on itself? They are solely responsible for dozens of LCSs shutting down.

Because he is
>He’ll have customers come in the store fresh from the multiplex who are confused because they don’t understand why the Hulk’s alter ego, Bruce Banner, is dead.
>And Thor is a woman.

Let's say that's all true (he gets a significant amount of customers that watched capeshit movies and want to read comics), but it's probably not. Sell them a FUCKING TRADE with Banner or Peter or Thor, do your job.

You don't understand how comics, particularly marvel, work.

You can't just not order it.

If you made it past econ 101 you would know that supply and demand isn't the end all be all fuckwit.

>amazing bookstore in town
>usually pick something up from there every time I'm there for some reason
>has been awhile
>huge fantasy section, tons of boardgames too
>go in recently after a year of not seeing it
>entire fucking fantasy/sci-fi section is nothing but manga

DRIZZT. MANGA AND FUCKING DRIZZT. Don't shovel that manga shit into a perfectly good store, it ruins everything. Read your chinese panty books online like everyone else does.

It could also be because Canada's economy is in the shitter and we don't have the cash to spend on comics

Why would they pay what it costs there? People don't want to buy a book they want to buy a comic. It's a thing, not a story to them. They think "gee I just saw a comic movie, lets check out these comic things." then they get to the store it's all different characters and they're told "buy this 20-30 dollar book of stories from 5-30 years ago".

Then they say no, go online and steal the comics if they're interested int he story, or buy the book for 15 dollars on amazon if they wanted a thing still.

did you miss their earnings report because your bias opinion?

>The store’s third owner, Morris, 60, says he simply can’t afford to sink any more cash into the venture.

>Steve Jewett sold it to Morris, a self-described “huge geek” in 2001. He regrets it’s closing before what would be the Comic Book Collector’s 40th anniversary in 2019.

Bwahahaha, so a JEWett sold it to this dumbass fanboy (>muh continuity) who sunk it and he's blaming Marvel.

Good job, idiot.

>And Thor is a woman.
Yeah, that would confuse a lot of people

I don't mean to get into another debate but there was one of those "manga publication vs. comcs" threads the other day and when someone brought up that 'manga is better because one author, one publication, one story. You don't need to go reading back issues or crossover events to understand things" he was responded with "hurr that's why there's relaunches and new arcs you don't have to read everything".

Well sure, you don't have to read everything but if you're new, you have to read something, maybe even a fair amount of "somethings". And that's what's killing Marvel right now

Beyond even that, Peter has like 5 books while Miles has 1. If someone comes in wanting a Spider-man comic after having seen Homecoming, do you:
>try to sell them one of the 5 books about Peter
or
>tell them that Peter was replaced by some hispanic kid and not to bother
Or sell them back-issues or trades.

>You can't just not order it.
sounds like bullshit. His claim is it doesnt sell. he doesnt have to buy it

Did you miss the shift key, shill?

>sounds like bullshit. His claim is it doesnt sell. he doesnt have to buy it

He does have to buy it. Comics distribution is handled by a monopoly that will blacklist any store that tries to pick and choose which titles they order. This is what happens in an excessively laissez-faire economic system.

Look, all I'm saying is, you've already fucked up by investing your livelihood in a retarded industry. Mistakes have been made.

Now, if a dumbass normie customer walks into your store asking to read about Thor, sell him one of your cheapest, Thor trades from 2000. Tell him it's fucking awesome even if it's not. Tell him the next movie is based on this story even if it's not. That's all you need to do. No customer walks out empty handed.

I don't read manga but I know that every nerdy fuck at my high school used to read manga and only me and one other kid used to read comics and would constantly complain about the local bookstores/libraries having an extremely limited selection, I only graduated last year and I'm just saying that it's currently very profitable.

There are three LCS in my town, and I can attest one of the store owners does that. He complains aloud about the stories that he's selling to his customers. Why the fuck would you do that? It may endear him to his regulars of course, but it's a retarded practice that will take him out of business sooner or later.

There is a not small amount of LCS owners that are dumb fanboys and shit businessmen.

Peter still exists in 3 main books, but in one book, he's Tony Stark, in another book, he's a married man and father, and in the the third book, he's a cartoonishly absurd manchild.

The term is "biased opinion" user. Not "bias opinion". A biased opinion is a bias (in a sloppily defined sense).

But also, Marvel's earnings are beside the point. You don't know much about comics if you think they matter to this discussion.

I'm not even wasting time telling you why your wrong when I've provided a link in this very fucking thread you insufferable faggot. You don't know a fucking thing about business or econ. Shut the fuck up.

Look, you think you know what the fuck you're talking about, that's clear, but you don't, that's even more clear.

Welcome to comics, your in for some fun with a whole lot of bullshit. I suggest you check the req lists so you don't waste your time reading garbage. But, what am I saying, you don't want to actually read comics. You just want to act ike your HS business class knowledge is anything more than useless.

This. You're literally FORCED to buy Marvel's garbage and if you try and tell them no then they put you out of business by not allowing you to get ANY comics. Every LCS owner has to desperately tip-toe around and do whatever Marvel wants or else they get the dreaded:
>sorry, you're not diverse enough to be a LCS
email from Diamond and that's it. Try being a LCS when you're not able to sell comics because you didn't order enough copies of America or Squirrel Girl.

Hello /x/. nice conspiracy.

>ITT: People who took a business course think Marvel is running a business instead of a scheme.

alternatively

>ITT: People who know how the business works are being told they're idiots by people who don't know how the business works.

Anyone saying "why don't they just not sell marvel" are the type of idiots that say "if you don't like their casting make your own movie". Completely devoid of any semblance of a factual basis.

The big 2 and comic shops thrive on selling NEW comics. Not trades or back issues. You don't know how the industry works.

In most comic shops only the big 2 really sell that much so if Marvel doesn't sell, it's hard for just DC to keep it afloat and vice versa.

>but if you're new, you have to read something
Wikipedia. It's what I did. Works fine.

You literally can't you fucking faggot. You have no idea how the industry works.

Casuals are the last people who give a fuck about variants. No casual is going to spend $50+ for a $4 comic just because it has a different cover. That's something collectors and speculators do, neither of which actually give a fuck about the contents of the comic.

>I don't know how the industry works but I totally got a C in my high school econ class so I know everything about this industry that I know nothing about!!!
Holy shit the people in this thread are fucking retards. Stop pretending like you know what you're talking about because you don't. That's not how the industry works. You can't just not order their comics. See: There's this thing called "diamond." Look it up.

It's abundantly clear that anyone disagreeing with these posts has no clue what they're talking about. They took econ 101 (just econ, not even micro or macro), learned supply and demand and think that it applies to comics.

Comics are most like the drug trade. If a dealer has a kid that wants to be fronted an OZ he's going to tell the kid to do two. Knowing he wont flip enough by the time he has to re-up, or at a price that he can't recoup, so that he HAS to take the next two in the hopes that he can pay off the remainder from the first two.

You've got your sellers as hooked on the product as their customers.

any store selling variants for that much is likely on the brink of closure. And variants are exactly what casuals want, what the fuck are you talking about? Normies don't know about them but that's the type of shit a casual will go in and buy thinking "thise could be worth something".

>And Thor is a woman.
You know I can understand these complaints because the iconic characters should be available in some recognizable form, but Amazing Spider-Man is where you go for Peter, who cares about Bendis's pet project that will only exist as long as he's around and will disappear once he stops writing it.

Not to mention, the store owners themselves either collect the variants or try to sell them online for big bucks. Can't complain about the problem when you're part of it.

>buy thinking "thise could be worth something
That's called a speculator, which I mentioned. A casual speculator buys #1s thinking they'll be worth something, not variants.

Why don't LCS just contact DC and other companies directly? I can't imagine that DC wouldn't be on board to hurt the competition

DC has problems as well but if you're walking in from the movies or even the TV shows you can find a title with the heroes you're looking for.

You can't, retard. You have no idea how the business works. See:

>y-you can't just stop ordering Marvel
>you have to comply to everyone of their demands
>tons of reports coming in this week about retailers cutting down orders on Marvel
>b-b-b-but!!

Maybe they're just scared little bitches?

Why are retards from Sup Forums allowed to post on this board?

>Amazing Spider-Man is where you go for Peter,
Have you read ASM lately? And by lately I mean the last 10 years. Slott has been ruining the character for that long. Spidey was once their top seller in the entire industry. Now he can't outsell event books, and those event books can't outsell regular Batman books.

Why do you continue to ask these questions. Please, I know it's unarchived but jsut go read that story. It touches on it Google diamond as the other user said.

None of this is secretive or even attempted to be hidden. It's very well documented. I know it stings to find out your high scool econ teacher was wrong but no two industries are the same.

>Thor is a woman
Not an issue when her story is good.

The issue is when it's shit, or if the character isn't white. At least those are my issues with a lot of current Marvel.

Cutting down orders on Marvel, yes. Not cutting out completely. Despite Marvel's low sales, they're still what brings people into shops. If Marvel dies, the industry dies. As a DCfag, even I know this.

>The big 2 and comic shops thrive on selling NEW comics.
Not judging by the OP they don't.

>Diamond has monoply on distribution
>cut out the middle man (diamond) and contact the companies directly
>???
>profit
I don't see the problem

You don't understand the mindset of casuals.
>I want to buy Thor
>Wait, dat ain't Thor, it's some girl
>Never mind, I'll buy something else somewhere else

But Rooney if this comic book that I haven't been following in YEARS isn't exactly how I think it should be than it must be bad.

Don't get me wrong this was a legit gripe when it started but by this point people walking in surprised about Jane clearly aren't part of the regular comic readership and likely isn't going to be buying comic books with any sort of regularity.

DC comics can't make up the difference. Marvel are the main money earners for comic book shops.

Without Marvel, the comic books industry dies.

Do you have reading comprehension? He went out of business because his new comics wouldn't sell. This confirms that new comics are the lifeblood of the industry.

Why doesn't Warner Bros just make marvel movies to compete with Disney?

This is what you sound like.

If DC Comics and other smaller publishers were able to make up for Marvel's unit share, there'd be no problem, unfortunately they can't. Marvel Zombies, deprived of Marvel comics they want to buy, simply don't come into the store at all.

Marvel is too big, if they go down everyone goes with them.

The companies have to work through Diamond. DC is literally not allowed to sell comics directly since they have to use Diamond and Diamond has deals in place with Disney's Marvel where they won't distribute to stores that don't stock enough orders of Marvel's "recommended" (read: required) comics which are almost all exclusively SJW pandering comics that don't sell. Then they'll also overship comics so if you buy the required, say, 5 issues, then they'll send you an additional 15 issues and you have to pay for the shipping on that. So now you have 20 issues of a comic that doesn't sell and you just blew your weekly budget on shipping costs for books you didn't want in the first place.

That's just how the industry works. If you're not going to google diamond and look into this stuff yourself then just fucking leave. Don't even reply to this post until you've educated yourself.

>when her story is good.
But it isn't. When Whor isn't constantly winning, she's punching the "patriarchy" or throwing meta jabs against fans of the REAL Thor.

Fucking "Asgardia"? Fucking "All Mother"? Really, Rooney? You're better than this, even for a tripfag.

>if they aren't already religiously buying comics then they don't matter

And yet everyone wonders why comic books sell like shit despite the movies constantly breaking box office records.

Superior was huge, Slott just dropped the ball with Spider-Verse and Dead No More. He can bounce back, he's done it before (Spider-Man sales before Superior).

user, you aren't smarter than an entire industry. You may think we're just to deluded anons on Sup Forums but we're not telling you you're wrong because we like Diamond. We're telling you you're wrong because we all hate Diamond.

What? That would mean DC and Marvel are owned by the same company.

All-mother and Asgardia happened in Fraction's run years before Jane became Thor.

So why does DC even have this deal in place? How does it benefit them?

if it applies to sjw than it applies to the once a year characterfags

You can't cater to people that don't buy.

So shouldn't we place more of the blame on DC (or Image) for not being able to surpass Marvel, even when Marvel's quality is an all time low. You'd think that right now is the time to take their true place at the top of the hill. I mean, DC comics are so wonderful.

Maybe blaming DC for anything is taboo on Sup Forums? Hmmmm.

Superior was a gimmick that banked on the fact that Peter Parker was fucking DEAD and one of his villains was wearing his skin. It also arbitrarily turned Black Cat 180 degrees into a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Fuck that.

Are you really this fucking dense?

It benefits them because its their only option. Stop asking stupid questions that could be answered just by doing some googling and light research into diamond.

Irrelevant. It's all part of the same push to embrace feminism by tearing down a perceived patriarchy. It's all the same meta context. "tear down patriarchy and build up matriarchy" Whor was just the shit cherry on the shit sundae.

So you're saying that comic books should just give up and accept that their biggest book will never sell as much as the average movie last, game, or television show?

LCS owner has only themself to blame for stocking inferior quality product

>It's all part of the same push to embrace feminism
Again, this happened back in early 2011, years before any of the "SJW" shit in comics.