Does anyone here honestly believe that Harley Quinn isn't a slut that slept her way through college to get to Arkham to...

Does anyone here honestly believe that Harley Quinn isn't a slut that slept her way through college to get to Arkham to eventually fuck her Joker?

Is her being a doc even still canon anymore? With all the redesigns and reality punches I've lost track.

And how is her sleeping her way to the top possible? With hyper realism now, fucking your way to a PHD is impossible with all the shit one has to go through.

Can't it be both user?

No she's still a psychiatrist friend, being redesigned doesn't actually change a character's backstory.
New 52/Rebirth origin includes her skin being stained by chemicals just like the Joker tho. Which is garbage.

yes

if we go back to her being a brilliant shrink and getting into arkham legitimately it partly explains why the joker wouldn't just kill her the second her single use was over

but she still needs to have the same vat-like transformation to explain everything else about her being able to stick with the big villains and superheroes; having a big hammer and being able to swing it are two different things

etc

The vat didn't make her stronger tho. Pretty sure the hammer is wooden, it's not like she's wielding something heavy.

A wooden mallet is still going to be heavy, archers were killing knights in Agincourt with mallets

mmm, i thought it would have had to have made her stronger - have you seen the size of that thing?

also, she and the joker may not be invincible but they have to have some ability to take the punches and explosions they get as much as they have to be able to give out enough to kill henchmen and stave off characters who are supposed to actually have powers ...

It was always Poison Ivy healing her, right? I just pegged it as some weird plant shit happened to her.

Actually, her super strength, agility and everything else is thanks to Ivy. Ivy gave her a special serum to make her heal faster but also make her more strong, agile and faster. Of course that was retcon in the reboot and I don't know if Ivy giving Harley the serum is still cabin in Rebirth

You would have to be really fucking lucky to do that. Sooner or later you meet a prude or another woman, there would be a lot more hot sluts with high degrees if thats all it took.

It's a little more complex than that.

The origin shown in the Mad Love cartoon adaptation worked better anyway. Having a genuine professional like Harleen becoming corrupted by the Joker like that is a lot more frightening than some dumb bimbo getting played.

The thing is psychiatrists must go through med school and the idea of sleeping your way through all of medical school is utterly ridiculous. More realistic if it was at a few key points. Getting through all of that shit totally dishonestly in the U.S. would take a ton of intelligence on its own. Not that there are no stupid doctors, especially stupid about all areas outside of medicine, because there are plenty. But being completely clueless about all medicine, no. Even dumbass doctors know at least some shit. But knowing about one field doesn't mean you have common sense or critical thinking or any other crap.

No, In the modern world that's normal.

I don't think it was the level of super strength was it? It was like a small healing factor, immunity to most toxins and I heard she could breathe underwater? Anyway, I don't think the mallet is that much of a stretch.

It was super strength too, basically Ivy made the serum for Harley so she could defend herself against Joker. People forget that before the serum Harley was just a regular human in a jester costume, it was after Ivy's serum that Harley started going being a major player in Bats rogues gallery

Guess that's why she usually uses a baseball bat instead in recent years.

Only in comic books could you spend 8 years being a whore and end up a doctor.

I thought she only fucked a professor to pass her thesis? She does have professional training.

>I thought she only fucked a professor to pass her thesis?
That makes way more sense. That it was one or a few times. She's still crazy though. And that makes the Joker thing more interesting anyway, him being able to fuck up a professional like that.

No that never happened right? cuz that would be garbage

It doesn't matter what you "believe" because it's not real. Writers say that's no longer canon therefore it isn't.

Stop trying to make yourself feel superior to other Harley Quinn fan mongoloids by going "Oh well I'm a TROO fan because I like her ORIGINAL origin story!"

I always liked the idea that he gave her a bad grade at first because it was some creepy or crazy shit about how fascinating serial killers are not because it was poorly done or sourced or anything. When she goes to Arkham she's making eyes at Ivy and talking about dangerous personalities being fascinating. Maybe she was always a little unhinged that way.

it sort of ruins her character.

it would be better if she was academically brilliant, but naive and weak willed.

Posts some random pages I have.

Except Harley these days is written so out of character that she might as well be a different character entirely. The problem is now shes beyond consequence, next to nothing comes back to bite her in the ass. Shes gone from a cautionary tale of abuse to a loony tune in the same vein as Deadpool. Thats not progression, thats watering her down

>Except Harley these days is written so out of character that she might as well be a different character entirely.
Are you sure about that?

problem is master/doctoral thesis are graded by committee and you have to give an oral defense.

so fucking one professor wouldn't be sufficient to change her MD degree thesis from a d- to an a+.

never mind all the standardized tests, the hospital work, etc that medical students have to do.

Why would anyone believe otherwise? It's literally what DC said she did. She's failing class, sleeps with her prof and gets an A. Done.

Pretty much, yeah. Her surge in popularity and push sadly kind of flanderized her. All anyone cared about was this wacky woman who was fucking The Joker, and then she turned into an antihero who dont need no man who again, is rarely held accountable for the crimes she has/will do. Its not really a case of "not muh", because she shares very little with her original incarnation.

Shut the fuck up

Just because it doesn't show her going to them all doesn't mean she didn't user. This is simply saying that she did indeed use sex to her advantage.

>oral defense
The best oral defence is an oral offence my man.

Not only are you just confirming exactly what I said about making yourself feel superior but what you said is absolutely retarded.

Harley was a comedic sidekick for a literal clown. Not a "cautionary tale" of anything. When they eventually gave her a backstory it was not some tragic tale of abuse. It was just made up to explain why the Joker has an inexplicably dedicated sidekick.

You thinking that Harley is some classic character to be cherished whose tragic and deep backstory has been ruined by those dastardly FAKE fans is even more pathetic than the people whose entire knowledge of her is as a slutty Halloween costume.

She is a JOKE CHARACTER and putting her in a zany, consequence-free comedy book is a million times more true to that than whatever horseshit story of love and betrayal that's going around in your head.

So what exactly does she do that isn't in character? Is it sleeping around or sometimes betraying the Joker because she's mad at him or having stories of her not being dependent on the Joker but still being crazy or what?

Posting this to help clarify things

Oh I dont really care about the sleeping around bit, I just dont like that shes gone from tragic villain to cartoon hero is all.

But wasn't the entire thing that the Joker was manipulating her? So without the Joker's sustained influence wouldn't it make sense for her to do less evil things.
Unless you simply want her to always be under Joker's influence which isn't really a problem with being out of character.

user, you're free to like whatever Harley you like. Im not going to try to feel superior to you or anybody, thats just silly. Not sure where you're getting the "fake fans" thing. And I disagree, she was a cautionary tale, one about what people will do for what they think is love. Harley was in an abusive relationship with the Joker, and her madness centered around that imaginary affection she thought he had for her. She fell in love with the Joker because he was an escape, a chance to do whatever. The tragedy was no matter what Joker did, she would keep coming back. All Im saying is personally I think her current incarnation isnt as good.

She was depicted as clever but a poor student. The only time they depicted her seducing a professor was to get a pass on her thesis.

In Mad Love it was literally shown how she fucked the professor to pass medical exams, so yes she is a slut.

Just because she is shown only sleeping with one professor doesn't mean she didn't do it with others. In fcat, Batman implies she seemed to prefer getting through that way than by studying. "Oh, but they only showed her sleeping with a single Prof!" is a terrible argument.

And that was all. I hope it was insightful

Not sure if that comic was good, mediocre or bad.

yeah, immune to deadly toxin, good on the rings, and is actually committing justice

thanks for the storytime but it still doesn't actually answer the questions - how did she get immunity? did she have that, or anything else, before she first met up with joker?

and what have her half-wit jesters gotten her into?

until next week, same bat-time, same bat-place ...

The argument is more like you can't just sleep with people to get through the sheer amount of crap you need to go through to pass medical school. It's impossible. Yes sure maybe she did it a few times and would prefer that because she was a lazy student or thought some classes were a waste but at least at times she would need to buckle down and pull her weight on things (they mention she had stellar grades, too). Anyone who thinks it would be possible for someone to get through med school only being a slut doesn't understand anything about how med school and becoming a doctor works. It's stupid.

>how did she get immunity? did she have that, or anything else, before she first met up with joker?

Already answered in the thread, it was thanks to Ivy serum. Pic Related

The whole run is pretty good, you only feel that way because you've read a issue that its midway through an arc.

Maybe, I'm just don't like the idea of Harley having this many secrets in the past. I'll prolly buy the series eventually I'm buying the other two so it's only fitting.

That's her original origin story, sure.

No idea what they're doing with her these days though, and I don't really give a shit either.

that does answer a few things, but somewhat late in her overall arc

still, it makes her more believable in her place in the universe

now, if you'll just post any rule 34 of her you have we can (cough) finish this thread

this point hasn't been clear, I think she's a little stronger since the panel showed her almost lifting Joker to kiss him and she's shorter.

She was so strong then, real superpowers, the only line I liked from convergence "coming among the smoke, the Devil's girlfriend" and Morrison said somewhere "she was fast like nobody else could be"

I could do with much less Harley Quinn, but I could do with even fewer tripfags.

Go make a storytime thread instead of co-opting some one else's

It happened in the comic version of Mad Love but it was cut from the animation and I think they didn't use it again except for Palmiotti in a confusing flashback where Harley says she doesn't remember what really occurred.
Harley Quinn Rebirth #1

shutup

poster contributed something not just relevant to the subject but raised the level of discussion

Are you sure that happened in Rebirth and not the new 52? I have that comic in front of me and I can't see that scene.

God I want to fuck her so much.

Sorry, I'm just being pissy and not really sure why. Don't mind me.
I'd delete my post, but this is the only way a faggot like me will learn.

darkseid. i knew it

go back to apokolips and don't come back til you've learned your lesson!

How would a rational, smart and un-whacky Harley Quinn play out?

Like the one in the live action Birds of Prey series.

What if Harley was a cat?

?

Strange to think a minor gag character would evolve into this.

I know a girl who tried to fuck for grades but she got turned down. I still make fun of her for it to this day.

Wait, is she a psychologist or psychiatrist?

Has she been to med school or does she have a PhD?

You know there was always one really big problem with that moment, it literally wouldn't work to sleep with the professor. When you submit your thesis you then have to come back later to defend your thesis to a board of professors/doctors at the university. They will have read your thesis and will attempt to completely destroy it. The point of this whole exercise is that you aren't a normal student anymore, you have completed your education. There is literally nothing new they can teach you and so any papers you make from that point on wards are supposed to be actual professional papers on what ever subject matter you wrote about. Its a final test to see if you can stand up to professional scrutiny and defend the points you made. You can't just bribe one prof with sex, you would have to bride an entire committee of them. And on top of that this is literally the last step before they accept you as one of their own. Its one thing to give some bimbo a better grade in one your classes because she showed you her impression of a vacuum cleaner, its another thing to give that same bimbo the honor of being called a doctor just like yourself.

Someday is one some days the other for both of those things. Some stories have her as a psychologist some others as a psychiatrist, some has her gone through med school others has her with a PhD. I blame writers that don't kno the difference between psychologist and psychiatrist

This is probably the most exciting and original conflict involving Darkseid I have read in a while.

Thing is she had to have some degree of competence otherwise she'd have never made it through her first day at Arkham regardless of what her credentials say.
At the same time though regardless of any potential she obviously is weak minded or Joker couldn't have smelled her bullshit and broke her.

So, yeah, I'mma fence sit on this one. It seems the most rational position otherwise you have to go through more mental gymnastics to explain the alternatives.