Think of a comic book you HATE. Got it? You have to rewrite it to be good while keeping its premise intact...

Think of a comic book you HATE. Got it? You have to rewrite it to be good while keeping its premise intact. You can change practically anything about it except the basic premise. How do you go on about it?

What if the premise is part of what's wrong with it?

>the unfunnies
Easy.

In my case, I would rework several things. The first one would be to have it take place in an infinite multiverse, so that way when a hero/villain dies, they're not permanently lost.
The second would be to have it be independent of any events, so it's no longer a Countdown tie-in. The name would be the same though, and I'll explain why in a few.
I would make the Monarch more of a showman, with these matches being shown to a public from a different multiverse altogether. Of course, he has some secret motivations for doing this, and those would be explored in future issues. Oh, and he wouldn't be Captain Atom.
In order to play up his showmanship, I'd have the Monarch create different kinds of matches: duel (one versus one), trio fights like in the original, team fights, free for all, and the main event: the Countdown Arena, where the most powerful of heroes and villains fight each other in a dead Earth that's about to be destroyed.

Oh yeah, I would just make it so that at the end of the story everyone got what was coming to them.
Also before he would be killed, the penguin would realize he had control of the comic since he would be in the real world and would fix everything forcing the creator into a cartoon hell.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. It's funny because I was actually working on a story to make it good, but I scrapped it after seeing that Superman Red and Blue was so much better than anything I could ever come up with.

Avengers Arena. The comic which shows that the surname Hopeless couldn't be any more fitting.

The cast consists entirely of new characters. The premise itself should be enough of a selling point without pissing off the fans of the characters that did get killed off.

Also by having no clear "hero" character there creates true suspense on who lives and dies. By the end of it, you've created a new character who is broken by all they've seen, and this can even be turned into an Anti-Hero or even a sort of "justified" villain.

Arcade doesn't get away. If anything, the perfect ending would be that the final survivor(s) look to kill them (though we don't find the body if your MUST bring him back). Arcade's game finally works as he plans, but his cockiness costs him when he tries to legitimately congratulate the winner.

Also a specific scene I would change would be Red Raven's death (Though I guess it would be a new winged character here). Because what is a fucking waste of everyone's time is having a character fly up to the ceiling and break her neck before they even say a word just to say "LOL UR TRAPPED". A scene made worse because none of the young heroes gathered there even try to catch her as she falls. You can still get that exact same point across by having the character fly up and injure themselves. A desperate and wounded character will ALWAYS be more interesting than a dead body with no backstory.

These are cool.

>New 52 Swamp Thing

First off I'd do the Alan Moore thing and have Alec dead. Swamp Thing is a plant, not a glorified guy in a plant suit

Why are "Arena" comics always so shit? It's like writers can't help but fuck up such a simple premise. The only good one I know of is Ewing's Contest of Champions.

Come on man, use your imagination

So the premise is that she is a spic lesbo superhero from another dimension where that is perfectly normal.

I would have her keep her personal life separate from her superhero life after her girlfriend dies because some idiot tracked her down through Chavez's twitter feed and fucked her to death. She'll keep a secret civilian identity and avoid social media like the plague.

This shit heap.

Fixing it is super easy too, just get rid of the Batwank, get rid of the utterly absurd OOC behavior, be fair (if super technology stopped working ALL of it should stop working, not just GL rings or whatever), depower the supervillains as well, and if you're going to kill off someone make their deaths have some real impact and not some random stupid bullshit like Atom's death.

>Identity Crisis
Sue and Ralph are both killed and while half the league goes to war to find the killer while the other half investigates the Dinby's last case and the conspiracy they uncovered. Turns out all the mind wiping isn't perpetrated by a bunch of Leaguers but a group of long forgotten characters who use mind powers to made everyone forget they exist so they could work in secret and protect the identities of heroes. Doctor Light never rapes Sue, Slade never rapes the League, Jean Loring still goes nuts and is responsible for a bunch of bad shit but only because she was a member who crossed the others so they turned her into a pawn and made her set up all the killings.

Way to ruin a masterpiece

Masterpiece of shit?

Very clever user.

We all know Identity Crisis is well within the top 20

Top 20 worst comics of all time, sure.

I can't save this thing.

>New 52 Swamp Thing
It wasn't a horror/thriller title, but it was still really fucking good.

That's the best thing Kirkman ever wrote though?

bump

>Totally Awesome Hulk
Bruce comes back and punches Cho's head off.

>the good the bad and the ponies
I put twilight on a bus so they don't have to come up with bullshit excuses for her not using her magic and I make sure nobody who is supposed to be a good guy fucking kidnaps public servants and forges legal documents.

Holy shit this looks awesome.

>Trouble

If you wanna get technical, the Spider-Man connection is basically minor. So first off, I change the names.
Second off, I make May's character less of a cunt. I make her affair with Richard more of a mistake and less of her being a bitch. A girl looking for a summer fling that inadvertently realizes she fell in love with a kind hearted man. I also take out the needless "Ben gets his ass kicked" scene, which is completely pointless. I make it less about shitty people and more about shitty decisions and their consequences.

You hate Lucifer? Why?

Bump

This makes me miss that Infinite Crisis game... Sigh

One More Day but it's Mary Jane who gets shot so the dilemma actually makes some fucking sense.

Trouble

I honestly have no idea how it could be saved. Cut out of continuity and make it another mediocre teen drama comic?

It's not.

because most people don't understand the actual story beats of a "forced to fight" story.

In order for the characters to have any agency, they must rebel against the system that's forcing them to fight one way or another. Without that, whatever the cast does has no meaning.

That's an actually pretty easy concept to execute.
Less outright stupidity, asspulls and obnoxiousness more maxing out the feeling of discomfort in the reader, clever ruses and manipulations, subtle sociopathy on Octavius' part and general psychological thriller elements.
Take lessons from Wagner's Grendel on how to write arrogance that doesn't cross into dumbassery too.

So I can just make the original arc. That was easy.

I hate volume two, because it gets literally everything and everyone wrong, nevermind the fact that Lucifer coming back at all goes against the point of the original in the first place.

Nice take! Probably the best way to go about it.

Though Red Raven wasn't an OC for that series. Yeah, she's pretty obscure, but it showed the level of 'effort' put into it.

Still, I want to give it a go.

Keep the cast mostly the same, but change damn near everything else.

First, the rules are closer to Battle Royale (ie; 3 day time limit, random someone dies every 8 hours if no one is killed, and if no one is alive at the end of the time limit, everyone dies).

Second, the first character to die would be an OC and I'd do my damndest make people give a damn about everyone who dies. (tell the story from their perspective as they find out who the kiryama of the 'game' is).

At least one character sees the time limit coming and commits suicide to buy the others more time as he/she's alone.

Past friendships are acknowledged and drawn upon for drama, as are past adversaries.

Every character gets a focus issue. No one is ignored, belittled, or used as a plot device for other characters to be boosted up.

The final arc has the remaining cast, after they 'end' a few people who just want to win and are scared, and do the heroic thing and let the end come. "The only winning move is not to play."

Then the reveal comes in.

It was indeed VR. See killing is easy for Arcade, but heroes always seem to elude him, and death doesn't stick to heroes much anyway.

So he defames them, or at least tries. the 'winners' beat the thing, but the ones who broke did so in front of their peers, and to a live audience since the whole thing was streaming live.

He tries his big escape plan, but he's foiled and, yeah, given a death scene that can be copped out from. The last scene is some of the kids meeting up and doing one hell of a meta commentary about teaming up to make sure no other young hero 'falls through the cracks' and being distrusting of the establishment even more.

>wah why do they have to give a new take on a character

>The Mighty Thor
Retitle it "What if Jane Foster picked up Mjolnir?"
Boom, easy enough

It's supposed to be the same character and direct sequel though, and nothing in it earns why his characterization is so different.

Mr. Terrific new 52

Rewite almost all of the dialogue so the characters aren't just sjw cunts and make the characters genuinely likeable.

On a tangent is there any Mr.Terrific that is good? Readinvmg this totally turned me off the character and I want to give him a second chance

The only good Mr. Terrific I've ever read was in JSA.

Up for a challenge

OK, so Jane is dying of cancer
Thor sacrifices his power to save her life

Thor is temporarily turned into a mortal
Jane can however wield the hammer
She temporarily fills in for him, with Thor sticking around as a mentor

no femminist or SJW agenda pushing
just pure monster ass kicking action and high adventure

Slotts "Amazing Spider-Man"
Basically instead of Peter Parker being a manchild SJW hes just a normal acting dude when not in costume. He's just a teacher, nothing that would put him in the publics light.

Also he fucks Mary Jane.

>Squirrel Girl

Lol, I just change the artist.

The writing sucks too desu

>in a metaphor for growing up and becoming your own person, Lucifer leaves God's creation once and for all
>lol no, he is back
>Lucifer has always detested God and wanted nothing to do with him
>lol no, he secretly loved his father all along
>Lucifer makes a point how he doesn't make people commit evil acts
>vol. 2: lol no, his very presence makes people do that
>Gabriel is dead
>lol no, he is fine
>Elaine is God, the heavenly host serves her now
>lol no, God is dead
>Hell is no more
>lol no, it is still there
>Morpheus is dead, Lucifer has personally attended the funeral and met his successor
>lol no, Lucifer still thinks Dream is Morpheus
And that is just issue 1. Goes well beyond a new take, doesn't it?

whyd he kill Juston/Sentinel
I care

Sounds like a new take to me

It's not a reboot, it's a sequel where nothing connects to the original.

Because he needed a cheap power up for his OC to be a big threat.

And he is a jerk.

So a soft reboot

Soft rebooting and fucking up a sexual are two different things, soft reboot will give a new status quo i.e. force awakens is a soft reboot of star wars,new characters,old ones have changed but it's all explained due to the new status quo th a is to a time jump

vol 2 does no such thing,things have changed because the writer did not care or remember how things went originally,everything that changed just happened,no time skip,no event,no change in the old status quo,Lucifer going from a tragic character to just a supernatural maker of sin is not explained or at least explained,it's just that the author didn't care about the original

>The Unfunnies

Fuck, I'd somehow have to get all Grant Morrison about the power of narrative and fiction and memes and story and whatnot, probably do a lot of occult stuff as well. I guess two quick fixes to ensure a positive ending would be to borrow a page from Something Wicked This Way Comes and make it so the power of laughter and comedy defeat Troy Hicks, as the comedic nature of his universe means that he's more or less trapped himself in a cartoon version of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and he's a victim of just as much comic misfortune as his characters.

Alternatively, you could stick with the original story almost entirely, but with a coda that points out that since the comic has now been ruined by Hicks's influence, no one will read it and no more comics will be made, essentially ensuring that he will die alongside his creations (who mock him for the pointlessness of his machinations, embracing their death as a way of defeating Hicks).

>>civil war 2

Ulysses vision always come true,no matter what if he sees a future it happens unlike other future seers he can not see alt time lines just real ones,if he sees a future where Spiderman 2099 happens then all the other timelines like ewings 20XX or canals future are eradicated,basically his powers allow him to project an inescapable event

Carols side is that they should use the knowledge to prepare for the future since it can't be changed,Tony believes the future can be changed

Better tension since you have Carol being reasonable in that she knows Ulysses visions are inescapable due to her failing to save rhodes even after she had months to prepare and keep him away form thanos but still failing and having genuine reason to want to watch over people like banner whose actions have been predetermined,and Tony who refuses that the visions can be changed and has faith that his allies can avoid there predetermined actions and.that rhodes death can be learned from

We get some nice conflict from banner,Miles and Hawkeye who all have visions involving there actions,trying to decide whether there actions will make sense when the time comes or can be avoided.The inhumans/X men/Rogers want to kill Ulysses because if he's dead his visions can now be avoidable.and.the future can return to being variable

Ulysses starts of an optimist and fan of helping the world,gradually becomes a cynic and alcoholic and now is incapable of discerning nightmare,hallucinations and fears from his actual visions,in the end he lies to both Carol and Tony,he tells one that Tony will attempt to kill him,he tells Tony that Carol is going to kill Cap because of the visions,they fight Ulysses final vision is his own suicide,he dies right as the battle ends after giving the scavengers some cryptic taunt about a vision he refuses to share,Carol regrets pushing the kid,Tony regrets not helping the kid deal with alcohol,depression etc rather than opposing him.

Also to mirror the ending of the original with the major status quo change rather than civil war 2s fart ending,Maria hill had 100s of private visions of Ulysses regarding the heroes/villians recorded and uses them as black mail,excuse to monitor the heroes and gain increased power from the state

Ha yeah, I was actually thinking of it while writing that.

BUMP

Zatanna has been murdered. As a publicly performing celebrity who is also a known superhero, she was the easier target for a serial killer targeting superheroes. While the mystery killer seems to be impervious to magic, in her death throes, Zatanna casts a spell to warn superheroes worldwide that this killer is out there, but her spell comes out mangled and as a result, the Justice League switch identities and minds with a number of new OC superheroes and can't remember who they are. Batman knows he's Batman but can't prove it, since most of the younger heroes who now find themselves in the Justice League's bodies don't want to change back, and worse, don't think that their new identities leave themselves vulnerable to this mask-killer. Only the world's greatest (unaffected) detective, Ralph Dibny, is willing to believe the body-swapped veteran heroes, but this just paints a target on his and Sue's back.

tl;dr - I want to turn Identity Crisis into a means of creating new characters and seeing the JL from the perspective of newbies, and making Ralph a badass detective instead of a victim/psycho.

This sounds really fun.

>bloodlines

i would make it so that all the heavy hitter characters are off earth somwhere leaving the main cast of the book be members of the bat family, the outsiders and various members of young justice/teen titans to deal with the parasites. that way the tension is real when they start to fuck with the heroes and we dont have scenes with superman in a fucking net. the end deals with the newborn metas and base level heroes teaming up to push the parasites shit in

I mean, is he really IN anything other than JSA?

All it would take to fix America would be have Jaime Hernandez write and draw it in the style of early Love and Rockets, just with the superhero stuff dialed up a notch. It would be cool as fuck

Christ, yes. Too bad JH would never work longterm for corporate comics. There was a time when I think he would have taken over WW but that ship has sailed.

Did any of Ulysses's visions actually come true at all?

>Deadpool Corps.

Ok this is gonna be tricky.

Firstly replace kidpool with a direct reference to deathstroke, hereafter referred to as deathpool. Just a black deadpool costume with orange eye circles. No nonsense personality.

And replace lady deadpool with gwenpool.

Each arc is gonna be a single issue long. It deals with only one deadpool's perspective (exception headpool, who acts as a comic foil for deathpool and dogpool rotates between pools) on then preparing to do a job with the last issue in the arc being the ensuing aftermath. Instead of being a cohesive team, they're a loose association all competing for the same paycheck all living in deadpool's apartment because they all have legitimately the claim that it's "their" place. Except gwen but she refuses to leave because they're an ensemble cast.

america:

didn't read past issue 2, but here's what i would change

america is a cunt who wants to be loved and admired. this becomes the central defining character trait that drives the drama of the book.

she is not the leader of the ultimates, that's just a position that she assumed and what she calls herself.

the world does not love her. it is ambivalent about her but it likes superheroes in general. she's just another meta who 'fixes' things by punching them really hard.

despite her powers, she's kind of a poser, and would be kind of a desperate loser except that she's undeniably effective.

the world comes to love her because she's scrappy. she's an proud, oddball latina character but she's loveable because she never gives up and she always comes through, sometimes in unexpected ways.

she secretly knows she's a cunt but she doesn't know how else to be.

sotomayor university has nothing to do with sonia sotomayor. the school is owned by another young latina named sotomayor, who is an interesting character in her own right. the old latina in the poster is not sonya sotomayor but the administrator. you have to be some kind of odd person to come up with a university for metas.

also, no more bland lazy art. i want vibrant artwork, even to the point of being tacky.

If i hate a comic book, it's probably because of the premise. Your rules suck op

>admitting to being an unimaginative cuck when everyone else managed to work around the premise
kek

>Champions

I DON'T have Ramos on art, and I cut most of the gimmicky twitter stuff. The Champions are still socially focused, but instead of blundering from one scenario to the next based on whatever issue Waid feels is topical, the Champions slowly uncover a conspiracy by Roxxon to make a ton of money through various shady and dangerous business practices such as mining in other dimensions where fearsome creatures lurk, using addictive monster secretions in their cereal, and making deals with demons to use souls to power office buildings and so on. Basically really ridiculous, fun, evil corporation stuff.

Also I directly build off of King's run for Viv's characterization, exploring the aftermath of losing most of her family. I make Cho less of a bully/meathead and more of an impulsive hothead, I attempt to give Miles some sort of personality, and I make sure no one kisses anyone in really weird camping situations.

Honestly, Champions should have just been Marvel's Young Justice. Every other take is doing it wrong.

There's a lot of wasted potential in that comic, and it makes me sad to think about.

>Faith

making it a bbw porn comic

>Distant Fires

The initial apocalypse on Earth doesn't kill only non-metas/aliens, but offs a significant portion of either side. Supes finds the remnants of society after being bummed out about the end of the world. NO SUPES/WW/BILLY ROMANCE AT ALL. Some of the metas split from the main society because they want to get their powers back, creating crazy camp 2.

Blah blah, the metas eventually get some powers back through technology but not before totally fucking over the world again, civil war starts between the main camp and camp crazy--ah fuck it, this book is irredeemable.

That comic shit made me hate Superman and Kyle. All that whining and moping.

torch every copy of Countdown

bump

One more day. Keep it exactly the same except peter and mj both agree the deal isn't worth it. Mephisto is pissed, it ends with aunt mays funeral, mj consoles a mourning peter but they both agree it was for the best seeing as how making a deal with the literal devil is a bad idea. Then do an arc of Pete and mj on the run from kingpin and find some other better way to give peter his secret identity back somewhere down the line.

lol

I'm in the middle of this and honestly it's pretty boring so far

>... replace lady Deadpool with Gwenpool..
Sold, user