Name times when casting a black actor in a traditionally white role actually went well

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Sh7an-Y5D0c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(2017_film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The best part is if this thread dies without responses, that in and of itself is a statement

Nick Fury works well as a black dude, although that could just be Sam's acting ability.

Better than the guy MCTV has in Daredevil

Agreed. I like Samjack Fury

Every single one. Even Death Note, which is why Sup Forums started this thread in the first place.

Sup Forumssshole had nothing to do with this

The best part about black actors killing it in white roles is farming the salt from anons like you

I actually really like Black!Joe. I think he does a great job.

He's best dad, and double kudos for being a black dad that not only didn't walked out on his family but also raised the son of another man

Sup Forums seems to be generally in agreement that L is the only thing worth watching the new movie for.

Seriously I cannot comprehend how Hollywood still keeps failing with these shitty anime adaptions. It's like how comic book movies were in the early 2000s, it's like literally nobody in Hollywood with any power has ever even WATCHED one, despite it having decent footing in the states since the turn of the century.

>it's like literally nobody in Hollywood with any power has ever even WATCHED one
That's exactly right. And they never will. Japanese cartoons will never break into the mainstream outside of Asia and you need to accept that.

Unironically this. I love the actor but fuck, he was terrible as Kingpin.

God thank you. Thought I was the only one who didn't like Spergpin

>since the turn of the century.

How old do you think Hollywood executives are?

I promise you that they are not your peers. Whatever number you imagine in your head, you need to add at LEAST thirty years to.

>Tfw you like the Netflix ending better than the anime
The Movie was still shit tho

Not really it was a waste for Idris he could have been black panther

And a waste for heimdall

Heimdall looks like he'll have a rad as fuck sideplot in Ragnarok.

I fucking hated the delivery of his lines. Kingpin should be suave as fuck.

>Not really it was a waste for Idris he could have been black panther
I love Chadwick Boseman but this. And if not BP, then he could've been Man-Ape or something. Huge waste of casting, actually.

These are really shameful

Why?

Holy shit, Man-ape is a real thing.

>Being this much of a newfag

IMO this doesn't count as a white role because he's just playing Ult-Fury.

Idris Elba

The reason why you can't make good adaptations of most manga or anime is because most of them have terrible stories. Way too many of them are made purely on the promise of the premise, end up getting dragged on for as long as they can with random and irrelevant sideplots to milk out all the shekels they can, and end terribly with unsatisfying endings because there was no plan from the beginning.

So it's just like Capeshit then?

I liked this. Made me think of Marcellus Wallace.

.. using a black actor to be the god of light and slaves?
okay user. What can possibly go wrong with that

not Sup Forums but whatever

>god of light and slaves?
You say that like the average MCU viewer or reviewer knows that. To them he's the god of watching really far.
Also, isn't Balder god of light?

Nothing did.

Hamilton

Not Sup Forums but he was great as Jack Crawford.

Similarly, Buddy in Out of Sight was a white guy in the original novel.

nope

Ditto. I'll never understand why he gets so much praise.

Because he's autistic rage monster. It's relatable for Sup Forums.

He's basically Snyder's Luthor, but done better.

To be honest I wouldn't count this, but for the opposite reason as usual. I think Elba is wasted on Heimdall.

Hiring a Dane (which is essentially a nigger among Nordics) was also a good idea.

That actually sounds like the most plausible reason why people here seem to love Kilgrave.

Nigga, this is Sup Forums What are you doing?

Didn't Jackson Fury predate Ultimate Fury?

Ultimates debuted in 2002, broheim.

Something something sliding timeline

Fuck alright fine I'm retarded

>Posts the only example that isn't bad

You're a retard.
So are you.

Retards are infesting Sup Forums more than tumblrinas.

He really was fantastic in the role. Always wished he'd get to play Kingpin again.

They said times it went well.
The movie hasn't even come out yet, and this is already being poorly received. At least wait until you see her performance, stupid.

Did he even have a comic counterpart?

She's already a smash hit.

Yes but more like Wells

Not a cop and not named Joe

Eartha Kitt was another case of purrrrrrfect black casting.
>tfw she made a catwomanesque music video when she was almost sixty, that centered around her clawing clothes off buff white men and it was sexy as fuck.
youtu.be/Sh7an-Y5D0c

It's still retarded af. Especially when you remember that Heimdall is Sif's brother.

Death Note on its own is a passable movie. The sound composition and cinematography aren't bad, and L and Light's actors play their roles fine. Light is a whiny bitch in over his head for almost all of the movie (until his KEIKAKU DOORI moment at the very end), and Mia was pretty flat of a character, but the overall plot is actually pretty compelling for a thriller. Now, if you go in expecting it to be anything like the original, you'll be disappointed and probably call it shit

>Especially when you remember that Heimdall is Sif's brother.

Loki is a son of a Frost Giant still looks just like any other Asgardian.

As a mythology buff, I've come to appreciate this change. If only because gods are shapeshifters; meaning that, at some point, hundreds of years ago, Heimdall felt like being a black dude for a while, snapped his fingers and presto change-o.

On top of that, black actors seem to be pretty good with portraying characters who are stoic, serious-silent badasses.

Valkyrie, on the other hand, I don't care for. I don't know if Valkyries can shapeshift, but even if race wasn't a factor, the actress playing as her is just kinda plain looking. And this is coming from a guy who loves black chicks.

I dont even care that shes black, the make up is just lazy. If anything she isnt black enough.

Loki can alter his form though.

As an adult, through magic. Not when he was just a small child.

That's okay. Bringing in normies only ruins things. The same happened to comics and video games, after all.

Lokis children have included a giant wolf, a snake that can wrap itself around the world and a bitch with half her body rotting. Someones brother being black doesnt seem that odd in comparison. That said I would ar least have cast the black dude as a god that wasnt described as the whitest.

Odin could use some magic spells to make him look normal.

As himself?

Eartha Kitt in general was just perfect
RIP in piece

In what? The Dark Tower isn't out yet. And while I will give him a chance, Roland's whiteness is a major plot point in later books, so I'm still skeptical. Also his blue eyes always felt like a nice visual balance to the Crimson King's red ones.

Nice headcanon.

>The Dark Tower isn't out yet

How else could you explain this though?
This is a logical conclusion. This is headcanon.

>Someones brother being black doesnt seem that odd in comparison
Yeah, especially when everyone else isn't black. Anyway I don't even think that Heimdall is Sif's brother in MCU. They must've simply forgot to do any research before the casting and decided to not even aknowledge their kinship.

>you now realize that the fact that she was cast inadvertently led to someone dying because they needed an equally black female stunt person

>the actress playing as her is just kinda plain looking

Seeing pictures of the actress normally makes me think they really dropped the ball with her. Terrible, unflattering hairstyle and drab clothing that looks like it was sewn together from bedding they found at a thrift store.

>How else could you explain this though?

How do you explain that he never uses his "true" form, not when talking to Frost Giants who despise him for being a small runt?

God, there are so many MCU apologists here. Can't you people just admit that there are some retarded things and flaws in your beloved Meme Clusterfuck Universe?

I mean, no one else is an eight legged horse either but no one complained about that. And Loki might just look like a human.

Because he choose not to use it?

oh shit you're right. sorry I'm a eurofag, its still not in theaters here.

Or asgardian whatever. The point is gods produce some bullshit when they fuck.

>Wentworth Miller is of African-American, Jamaican, German, English, Russian, French, Dutch, Syrian, and Lebanese ancestry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(2017_film)

>that plot

what the fuck. they michael bay'd my favorite series.

>Jake tracks down an abandoned house from one of his visions, discovers a high-tech portal, and travels to a post-apocalyptic world called Mid-World.

>Jake has enough psychic potential to destroy the Tower single-handedly.

no. NO. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WENT AT ALL.

Most people have pretty varied ancestries. Sound like he got a DNA test and just made the results public.

>Vox's Aja Romano wrote that the film's disjointed narrative structure, favouring fast-paced action over exposition and backstory, gave it a "basic, wondrous glee" that made it "feel more like a Stephen King film than any other Stephen King film since Stand By Me", and applauded its faithfulness to King's fictional multiverse, an idea usually discarded by adaptations.

So, did this person see a different movie than we did?

Because a small runt looks Asgardianish. It's clear in the first movie something beyond Loki's control altered his form to be full asgardian, that's why his skin went all weird on Frost Giant contact.

>Acting

Sam is one of these actors who reach a point where they can "act" one and only one character in every movie: themselves. Sam's a great, extremely entertaining character, so we love him for it, but he can't act for shit.

He's just a human pug

>Basically, all my ancestors were sluts