I've never seen morel orel before so I decided to marathon it tonight. is it as good as people say...

I've never seen morel orel before so I decided to marathon it tonight. is it as good as people say? what else should I watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=klkBrCjyqv8
youtube.com/watch?v=RksP2GrmJBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Payoff in season 3/end of 2 is great if you're into dramatic turns in comedies. If you don't find the formula funny the first two seasons will be a bit of a slog. I think it's fantastic.

>I hope I lie and tell everyone you were a good wife and I hope you die I hope we both die

First season is a bit slow but hilarious.

Second season gives more depth to the characters and is still funny, but major changes happen in the final two episodes.

Season 3 is more or less a drama. If you've seen Bojack Horseman, you'll know the same feeling

Also go support Dino's new comic at the Starburns Industries website

>Bojack Horseman

Not going to lie. While Bojack Horseman manages to spread their depression and drama throughout multiple seasons, Morel Oral manages to punch even MORE drama in such a short amount of time.

I actually really like that song

I think Moral Orel is alot more powerful in that regard too. Especially since I grew in a hyper religious environment.

Watch Axe Cop. But stop at season 1. Season 2 isn't that great.

you should the mountain goats are great

It's essential 4chancore television

That's because you have good taste user.
No Children is great, but Old College Try was my personal favorite Mountain Goats song in Morel Oral.
Up the Romans is my favorite song from them though.

it has the best song
youtube.com/watch?v=klkBrCjyqv8

Bojack Horseman vacillates between stale animal-puns, eye-rolling wacky comedy and forced melodrama. Even Futurama's few forays into drama were more sincere than what Bojack Horseman does--a predictable build up that hits the same beats, explores the same territory, and then releases itself in a overly sentimental and overly rehearsed soliloquy. Moral Orel on the other hand never pulled its punches devoted its entire third season to serious story-telling that while dark in nature still managed to be touching at moments like with Nurse Bendy and her son. Compare Clay's bar speech and how it came about to Bojack's 'am i a good person' spiel. One feels like a raw & organic climax and the other like an actor running on stage and giving his speech.

Start with the Christmas Special. That gives you a taste. Did you watch the sickly sweet Christian cartoons when you were young? If so watch Season 1. It's a parody of those. If not then skip season 1 and go straight to season 2. Season 2 starts off as a parody of Christian cartoons but by the mid season it starts actually looking at the people of Moralville. It's a great show but man does it get dark.

hah doing that too.

getting some weird sense of nostalgia.
also what happened to god flipping the bird in the opening.

I gave it a chance this year, too. Seasons 1 and 2 really are terrible.

Moral Orel does it better because it forgoes all comedy in the last season in order to deliver the story as it is from there on out. It pays off because the punch too the gut during the hunting trip is that much stronger when you've gone from a full parody into full drama. What follows after in the last season is completely devastating and anguishing all the more once that abrupt change is made.

To me, it failed where South Park succeeded with parody of holiday specials.

Christmas special is more Simpsons, less South Park. The point of the special is that Moral Orel's family is shit. It's a promise of what the show will be in the 2nd season and also lets you know that they understand Moral Orel's family isn't as wonderful as they pretend it is.

>them

One of the worst things you can do while watching a show is to marathon it.
Watch one or two eps a day. You'll digest it properly instead of gorging it all and you'll thus be able to enjoy it for a longer time period.

Fuck you.

be prepared to feel dead inside by the end it gets pretty dark.

"Moral Orel" went the dramatic route in Season 3 because the [adult swim] head honchos asked for it. Of course, then they saw a rough cut of "Alone" and regretted getting exactly what they wanted.

But Season 3 also went dramatic because that was the direction it was headed during the back half of Season 2. "Moral Orel" was a satire of authority figures who hypocritically claim a God-like righteousness in public while being horrible people in private. In the first half of the show, Clay was more or less a parody of the kind of father figures you might see in classic family sitcoms such as "Leave It to Beaver". In the second half, he became a much more nuanced character -- and with his flaws exposed, we saw just how horrible a father he really was. The entire town of Moralton had similar failings, all hidden behind a false sense of "Christ-like" moral superiority. A good chunk of Season 3 is dedicated to exposing those failings, then redeeming the handful of characters who worked to overcome them.

But none of that would have worked without the first two seasons. "Moral Orel" had to get viewers invested in the characters before it could go where it went. If anything, the route it took was for the best, as the back half of the show's run is still some of the best shit that [adult swim] has ever aired.

You know it's true.
Marathoning is a sign of severe escapism.

As someone who marathoned the entirety of "Evangelion" across two days when he was a teenager...yeah, it is. Fuck binge watching.

>One feels like a raw & organic climax and the other like an actor running on stage and giving his speech.
Imo, I think it is because Bojack runs on the self-aware trope. It is also why its characters are less sympathetic: they know their flaws and don't change. Moral Orel is more life-like: people are deep in denial of their own misery and its causes.

Get out Grandpa.

Solid advice. We all should get out more often.

I did the same but high off my mind the first time and it was a very bad experience

>newfags

My only criticism of Moral Orel is that it doesn't make any claims for how to solve the issues it presents. It just parades them around, "hey, look at how shitty the world is!" in a masturbatorial fashion. Most viewers enjoy the self-loathing, but that's cheap validation without much depth.

Wow, everyone sure hates Jesus!

Whoops.

It's alright but nowhere near as "deep" or "dark" as Sup Forums likes to claim it is, nor does it handle all of its dramatic elements greatly. In fact I found the whole character of Clay just to be so cartoonishly evil I couldn't take anything he did too seriously, even with his given melodramatic backstory. "more drama" doesn't mean anything unless the drama is handled well, and I just don't think it is for a good 30% of the show. It's like saying one comedy show is better than another because it has "more jokes" despite it overall not being as funny. The final season feels a little rushed and not all the ideas it had got fully developed or room to breath. I still think it's definitely a "good" show with some excellent episodes that live up to the pandering Sup Forums gives it but it is definitely pretty flawed.

I feel that a lot of people are claiming to love this show in an act of contrarianism so they can shit on Bojack Horseman, because it's relatively newer and more popular, when really, if you can see the flaws in Bojack you would definitely be able to see them in Morel Orel.

>It's alright but nowhere near as "deep" or "dark" as Sup Forums likes to claim it is
youtube.com/watch?v=RksP2GrmJBA
Name a modern cartoon that would do this scene today

The problem is there is no "solution" the only hope is that you can recognize what's unhealthy in your environment early enough to acknowledge It and hopefully break the cycle.

Rick and Morty, though it would either be way "edgier" to try and be funny or done in a way that would be an extremely embarrassing attempt to be "dark".

I think that episode was one of the better ones that I said lives up to the standards Sup Forums likes to give this show.

there was sort of a solution
just be a good person and make the best of life

>I've never seen morel orel before so I decided to marathon it tonight.
user, DONĀ“T!

I can still remember when I marathoned MO with Sup Forums. Nature... nobody told me...

>to try and be funny
Exactly, they wouldn't play it straight, or they'd make Nurse Bendy a bad guy, the darkest R&M has got is suicide which is a really fucking tame topic today kids bond over jokes about it. R&M would never have the balls to do that scene to summer or beth even in an alt universe, especially not with the female writers
>I think that episode was one of the better ones
Outside of that scene it's depressing but not especially dark, pretty much any episode involving Orels dad is much darker

No, its ham fisted shit

If ever there was a show that justified a Deus ex Machina ending, it was Moral Orel.

back to Redit with you

>Shapey and Block grow up to be a firefighter and cop.

Nice to see them finally realizing that they needed to really grow up and mature into functioning adults.

The show is terrible, stop projecting, idiot

If there's one thing I miss from the last season getting truncated, it's an episode dedicated to them.

"When I'm thirsty it feels how I feel when I'm alone."

Darnielle does collaborations with many of his albums, buddy

It's not really a deu ex machina ending, shit like it happens more often than you think. Not as often as it should yeah but people can break the cycle of abuse and self hate, morals religion has some to do with his asscension into adult hood but it was him being a bright kid and a good person that gave him the strength to perservere through his awful town and family. It criticizes American ambivalence and willful ignorance through religion but it's never saying religion is the root of the problem it's merely a catalyst to exacerbate it.

Season 1 is funny.

Season 2 is a mix of funny, worldbuilding, and depression.

Season 3 is just about the most depressing work to ever air on US TV as "fiction".

I disagree. When you marathon a show you can fully remember all of it, even the little details. When I marathon something I can "hey, they're using a little bit of X character's leitmotif in Y character's scene here" or "hey, this is a call back to a tiny scene a full 2 seasons ago", shit that I could never remember if I was watching those episodes almost 2 months apart like you suggest. If you have a problem digesting something then just fucking take a few minutes after each episode to think about the episode, grab a bite to eat or go to the bathroom while you think, and by time you get back there's nothing to gain from waiting a day for the next episode.

Note there are totally shows that shouldn't be marathoned, like Slice of Life shows that don't really have a plot and repeat the same gags in almost every episode, but Moral Orel isn't one of those.

If it tried to claim how to fix those issues it would just be a shitty forced moral, we don't need them to drop an anvil on us at the end of each episode the way South Park used to do.

The ways to fix most of the problems are obvious. Don't hide behind lies, and think for yourself. Half of the problems in the show can be fixed by one or the other, if not both.

The truth about that specific line of dialogue is really interesting. Dino said that his kid actually said that word-for-word one day, and it always stuck with him.

I'm watching Moral Orel since I've got nothing to do thanks to Harvey

I didn't think the first season was that bad. The episode where Orel drinks always stuck with me when watching the three. The but God is in me line always makes me giggle too.

The only episode I really hated was the creationism episode. I'm not even Christian but that one just felt forced to me.

True, it's not an asspull or anything, and even before then Moral has been able to decide what is right on his own without just listening to the town. But going from the unhappy Christmas to a happy one, as the Reverend says, feels like a miracle. And I think the show's clever enough that it doesn't feel like an unearned asspull.

ITs impressive that it dosen't feel like an asspull considering they canceled it mid season and cut the number of episodes in season three.

Though op if you haven't started it look up season ones true episode order, if you plow through it all today it doesn't matter but the Christmas episode was supposed to be the season finale and there are things built up throughout to make the episode pay off better. Though if you start from there just know it dosen't get much worse honestly, I won't say it gets much better but it dosen't get worse

Bojack kind of holds your hand through the drama through comic relief. When you experience drama in Moral Orel there is none. You face it head on with no comic relief whatsoever.

Does anyone have a mega for all the Orel episode?

*Episodes

Just watch them on Youtube

>In fact I found the whole character of Clay just to be so cartoonishly evil I couldn't take anything he did too seriously
You never had to deal with grown ass men who acted like petulant children with a huge chip on their shoulder, then. They exist and Clay is at least a decent depiction of them.

Also, the final season being rushed was purely a result of adult swim pulling the plug on it.

>The show ended almost ten years ago
>We'll never have reaction threads to Nature

>"Hey, Let's rant about why I hate this show while also not giving any clue whatsoever as to why I hate it!"

>tfw this show is never mentioned on reddit

is this, dare I say, /our show/?

My favorite LGBT character tbqh

Closeface was heartbreaking yet sweet