Ultimate Avengers Volume 1

Just recently bought the omnibus so I thought I might share a part of it. Can't do a full thread but I can do six issues. Starting with the first issue of Ultimate Avengers which takes place after Ultimatum.

>first panel
>millar shits on Loeb
Based.

Shame that he couldn't keep up the quality through the whole run.

In one page Millar describes exactly what kind of Captain America this is.

I might be in the minority but I fucking love the widescreen approach to comics. Generally it uses the 2x4 grid and hovers around 4-5 panels per page. I'm tried working with those limitations and while I argue it led to some of my better work, I just use the 2x4 and try to use as minimal panels as possible.

So Cap is murdering these people right?

I'm more of a gin man myself.

If I remember correctly Iron Man had his armor hijacked and he personally murdered Wolverine.

Except he forgot the issue where he wrote that Cap never wears a chute

Oh fuck...

It doesn't seem to like it when I post text.

Experiencing the same fucking problem from last night. Fucking unreal.

What's Ultimate Cap's backstory? Was he also meek and skinny as his 616 counterpart? Because he often comes off as someone whose lived the macho way all his life.

Glad to see Hawkeye isn't moping anymore.

Pretty sure he started out meek. I think it was just his continued successes and new abilities let loose something that was in him for a while.

I dont know the backstory, but he misht just be compensating for the years of abuse. A former dweeb getting superbody would likely to go on a long powertrip.

And this is why I love the Ultimate universe

>dad was most famous for punching Nazis
>tattooes a nazi iron cross on the forehead
so edgy

kek this meta commentary

I enjoyed this run. Millar even touched upon some no go zones when it comes to The Punisher. His Frank revels in the violence, unlike his stoic counterparts, and also thinks saying," it was an accident," makes up for collateral damage.

>Leave it on.
Proceeds to take it off.

The more I think about it and the more I reread it, the more I realise that Ultimate Avengers might actually be one of my favorite comics.

>You're all perfectly safe at this altitude.
God dammit Steve.

I've waited for so long for Danvers to turm into a Ms Marvel and she never did.

It's not murder if the government says it's ok.

Weird thinking that this kid could have potentially been an even more effective Captain America than we had seen. Shame

So he's an evil Doc Savage. You'd think all that male influence would keep his neurosis in check.

Pacheco sure loves his black blood splatters.

Man I'm almost ashamed about how much I love this borderline edgy stuff.
It just feels so much like a complete and united universe than standard canon

And now we get our first sight of Gregory Stark, Tony's older brother.

Oh man, this guy is the worst. Ultimate made some missteps and this guy is definitely one of them

Is it he one that intorudces a on of Charles Xavier and Peter Parker, who is also asian for some reason?

Racist Hulk when?
Supermanito when?
Your mom's sex tape when?

Wew, I thought you were gone there. Thanks for continuing.

Also
>It's SkipslegsdayMan

Right there with ya. The early Ultimate Universe was something special that felt like so much more than standard comic history. The use of consistent writers helped a lot. Millar is write at home writing the Ultimates and while I like what Ewing is doing, Millar is still the reigning champ in my eyes.

Wew now that's edgy

Bingo. Also I'm pretty sure he was fucking with Danvers when he gave the origin.

>Lamotrigine.
Prozac made it so I couldn't jerk off. When you're depressed and can't masturbate, you fucking hate yourself.

>making fun of Hillary
Times have changed for Marvel

To say this didn't catch me off guard first time reading would be a lie. Gotta love the Ultimate Universe.

I am so glad I bought Millar's tenure on the Ultimates in hardback. Probably my favorite Avengers run period. Then again, maybe I should give the Busiek run a try.

You think with how pompous Gregory is, he'd insist on a better code name than "Nerd Hulk"

I certainly miss them.

I think he likes the thought of having a Hulk have a shitty codename. A way of mentally keeping him down. Like it's purposely patronizing.

Man this guy turned out to be such a disappointment in the end, didn't he

I genuinely believe Millar had a plan but editorial fucked his shit up. Like Perun, although that got a laugh outta me.

>Captain America disguised as a Canadian when overseas
Typical

Also
>Cap HATES the French
Ultimate Cap really was a bastard

Looks like Cap gave Wasp the ol' Hank Pym special.

I prefer the term complicated. But yeah, he could be a real douche sometimes. Some may not like it, I really did. 1940's patriotism dialed up to the absolute maximum would probably look insane.

I really see the Terrence Howard influence here. Still prefer Don Cheadle.

So how's everyone liking this so far? By this point I would have expected tons of people to bash me for posting Millar but so far so good.

It's fun.
The Ultimate Universe was a hell of a ride, for better or for worse

I hate this subplot because I used to love it until the awful resolution came along.

Except that most American troops from back then would tell you the French fought as hard as anyone else back when they were side by side.