Things Sup Forums likes too much to discuss

I'm going to start with Hellboy and Conan. Story times tend to result in nothing more than "This is pretty great" and general discussions seem to be pretty empty.
What are some others?
ALSO, general discussion for any of these topics, since they seem unable to keep their own threads

Everyone ignores the lgbt preaching in ssndmsn (one scene a character writes in giant red lipstick the female name on a trannys grave that was buried under his male name by southern conservative family. his ghost appears as a tall but attractive female version of himself) reminds me of when I stopped reading ex machina when there was a giant spread of a Sikh man getting lynched under the pretext that he was a muslim. I was tolerating the gay marriage preaching until that point

Sandman*

That was a great story, and the fact that you disavow the quality of any writing purely because it meets a political agenda is ridiculous.

Plus, you have to understand the context. Sandman was written during AIDS, Ex Machina during the Iraq War. Stop reducing everything down to your sjw boogeyman, you drooling fool.

I don't buy the theory that things don't get discussed just because everyone likes them. There are plenty of things people like but can discuss, because they'll talk about new things coming out, people will ask for recommendations, etc.

I think the truth is simply that not many people here actually read them, because barely anyone here actually reads comics in the first place, let alone ones with more niche appeal like Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo, etc. I notice on the rare occasions that there IS a thread about one of those things, it does get a decent amount of discussion.

Imagination being this easily triggered.

People don't usually talk about Hitman, Nexus or the rest of First Comics line despite them always being recced.

You're pretty pathetic if you can't handle slightly progressive comics from over twenty-five years ago.

I didn't disavow it, I read all of sandman and I continued to read ex machina despite political disagreement. I dont think that kind of on the nose giant spread is particularly adept. This thread is about what people never mention. you've mischaracterized my position in your haste to call me a fool. Itt: people being more offended at someone who is more tolerant of views they disagree with than them.

>I think the truth is simply that not many people here actually read them, because barely anyone here actually reads comics in the first place, let alone ones with more niche appeal like Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo, etc.

Came here to post this.

Also we're swarmed by cartoonfags.

Venture Brothers.

Usagi Yojimbo is discussed occasionally but it loved by Sup Forums

GrimJack is always on lists but no one talks about it in detail.

I will add Dreadstar as another that is well liked but not talked about.

Who else has read this?

We had a month of Hellboy threads, and it was great. I think we discussed everything we wanted to, and now we're waiting for new issues.

>Also we're swarmed by cartoonfags.
My experience is that most fans of Hellboy on Sup Forums are also into animation.

I think I'm one of the weird people that doesn't enjoy Sandman.

We had a decent Usagi Yojimbo thread a few weeks ago and I catch storytimes here and there of it. That's more niche than Hellboy though.

Definitely. Hellboy has its own universe. A ton of spin-offs, movies.

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions comics like The Winter Men and Fear Agent.

I loved the Buseik Conan run and I topped when he was done writing. Are there any good books I may have missed?

Some is exposure. I read a lot but I've never read The Winter Men or Fear Agent.

Conversely, I have never found anyone else on this board that has read Strontium Dog.

Depends??

I love the old Savage Sword of Conan books by Roy Thomas, Michael Fleischer, John Buscema and others so I would recommend those.

>Everyone ignores
I don't ignore it, I agree with it because I'm not a drooling moron. Your post reminded me of that tumblr user (IIRC, maybe it was just a blog) who got mad at the same thing that you do but for the exact opposite reason; accusing Gaiman of being transphobic because his depiction of the struggles of Wanda were too cruel and because the moon didn't give a shit about transpeople.
So keep in mind that you're not alone, you have the retards from the other side of the coin of missing the point to keep you company.

I guess that's the type of comic you had to grow up with.

Which one?

Yo.

I hate that Dark Horse recolored them and only issued them in shrunk trades. I'm holding out hope that they'll do new 20 issue phone book style reprints with original coloring. That's more like what they've done for Usagi, Nexus, etc.

Fear Agent's hard reset ending pissed me off to no end. I still love it. I have every issue, trade, and Absolute sized hardcover. But that fucking ending.

I missed the Kickstarter for the tabletop and I can't decide if I regret that or not. I'm not much for tabletop, but Fear Agent Fuck Yeah, ya know?

Strontium Dog.
Haven't heard of or seen it anywhere. Is it any good?

Pretty sure it's a 2000AD comic that exists in the same universe as Judge Dredd. You haven't heard of it because aside from scans and very recent paperbacks, that material hasn't come to the US much.

Real talk, not sure how much sense this thread makes. there are several shows Sup Forums likes but they still get threads:
>Venture Bros
>Avatar the last Airbender
>ATHF
>KotH
>American Dad
>Samurai Jack
>Megas XLR
>Black Dynamite

I have never seen anyone discuss Winter Men, I picked it up because of based JP Leon.

I've never been able to get through Fear Agent, sometimes Remender's writing is... I don't know what's the word for it, it's just hard to keep reading. Love Deadly Class though.

Yeah see because those are active or have something about them that gets people upset.

What to do with Hellboy where we get one core issue every month?

Or Usagi that has been on extended hiatus's?

Or Fear Agent that has been over for, what, nearly a decade?

Based JP Leon.

WM is one of the few comics that made me actually feel.

FUCK COCA COLA AAAAAAA

Also there is the daily EEnE thread(s)

It's been over for a decade, but there are still threads for other irrelevant stuff.

I love it. It's in my top 10 list.

It's a John Wagner 2000AD character that was a Bounty Hunter set in the same universe as Judge Dredd but centuries later.

Being Wagner and 2000AD it's a little bit like Judge Dredd but the character has a clearer arc and is more human than Dredd.

You can find the trades under

Strontium Dog: Search/destroy Agency Files

I think there's 4 volumes.

Sandman

This is a thank you for this thread bump

Oh, I'll definitely check it out then. I'll see if I can find a dl, I won't order it on the whim of a rogue user on Sup Forums. Thanks, mon amigo.

>niche appeal
> Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo

Pick one. It seems like everyone but me has read hellboy. Glamce at a shelf thread and nearly every board has the entire run

I found an extensive Torrent of it a few years ago... might still be floating around.

That might be true for Hellboy but not Usagi. Rarely is that on shelfs.

Still there, getting it right now.

Are you the same guy that didn't read Sandman? Have you read Cerebus?

Nearly all of those have regular threads
Not as much as Hellboy but at least half of them have it

I got my first issues of Hellboy ever today at a con.

Is it weird I was a Baltimore fan first then decided to give hellboy a try

>Are you the same guy that didn't read Sandman? Have you read Cerebus?
Haven't completed Sandman read all the extras...working my way presently.

Haven't started Cerebus. First three or four are at a second hand shop. First one is pretty badly damaged but i think i will get it anyway and just negotiate it down

I suspect that's because Usagi doesn't have everything in print in a uniform format. The Saga's help. I just got the Special Edition for the Fantagraphics stuff, and I'll be buying the Sagas starting in a month or so.

That is actually very very weird.

But whatever gets you to the good stuff. How did you find Baltimore without Hellboy first?

And what issue of Hellboy? There's a 50/50 chance it's something you should wait to read.

I feel really bad for not starting Cerebus yet. The fucking backlog is too long and I can't commit to such a huge project.

Same. Especially with its legendary clusterfuck of a final half.

And can you even get a complete set of trades anymore?

Instead of halting your backlog and binging Cerebus, just read 1 issue per day alongside your other reads. Stretching it out will bring your mindset slightly closer to the True Experience of how it originally came out over 27 years.

I'm too much of a binge reader. In fact, I don't read any ongoings, I only read collections.

Before you ask, I already read several titles (Promethea right now) between binge reading complete comics.

Not only this, but I'm always hesitant to read interesting manga because the backlog grows and grows

>tfw you'll never run out of comics to read

I just don't like reading digital. So i want to buy it and read it...but that's a ton of books and money. I read some digital but just never enjoy it as much

>How did you find Baltimore without Hellboy first?

I knew of Hellboy, thought the movie was meh, and hated the art style of Richard Corben. Then one year I get a Baltimore promo for FCBD and become a fan. Read the novel, got most of the issues, learned about Mignola's style and inspiration. Tried re watching the movie still meh still hate Corben's art style.

I got all five B.P.R.D. 1947 and the November 2010 Double feature of Evil for $10

Double Feature of Evil you can read right now and be fine.

1947 kind of assumes you know a bit about vampires in the Hellverse It's also a fairly direct follow up to 1946. I suggest waiting.

Corben's style kind of grows on you like a weird weed. I'm not keen either. I think his older stuff is better. He's ancient and I think he's lost a step. But he's done very little Hellboy work overall. Why get hung up on him?

The movie is great in its way. Lots of great casting and moments, but the mood and some changes miss the mark.

>Dreadstar
my niggas

Oedi is bro-tier.

>I find it unbelievable that people can't tell the difference between Sikhs and Muslims

You'd be amazed, there's an entire country below Canada that can't tell the difference between Saudi Arabia and Iraq

Also, lgbt 'preaching' isn't a thing, unless you believe gay people are actually fairies because people call them that.

3/10, you tried.

To be fair, a lot of those are still active, or have recently been active in one fashion or another.

All that for 10 dollars? Neat. Special deal or flea market?

last day of a con I'd bought some old mangled 80's issues of man thing from the guy yesterday for $5

Yeah, last day prices get slashed so people don't have to carry shit back out.

Also, frankly for a store wanting to get rid of older stock, 10 dollars for six back issues doesn't sound too weird.

Pretty sure Sup Forums likes orc stain, whenever there are threads generally everyone has praise. The only bad thing people talk about is the indefinite hiatus that it's stuck in. Also the reason no one seems to discuss it anymore.

Stokoe is getting a big variety of work now. Number 8 seems like a distant dream now. Sad days.

Considering that MUCH more people speak italian and French, you would think that there would be more french and italian comics around translated.

But its SO HARD to talk about euro comics, even when they are clearly superior to american ones.

The only hope is that he can parley his growing fame into recognition for his passion project.

I hold out some hope that he really dreams of getting it done.

How long did he want Orc Stain to be anyway?

Issue 8 is done. He just doesn't want to put it out cause he wants to make a trade before he starts outting it out.

>Considering that MUCH more people speak italian and French
No there are not. Most of those good authors only get good payouts when they are translated to english.

Most are clearly superior though

Damn, it is? I mean I can understand that kind of reasoning. But c'mon James you bastard, I need more Orc Stain

Okay, they are not CLEARLY superior to American comics. If anything they are pretty equal, eurocomics may have slightly better quality control than the US. It's just that big comic publishers in America let shitty comics get more publicity because that sells.

But otherwise, fuck me I wish more Siegfried was translated.

I want more Vampire Requiem!

What we get of eurocomics is always in Heavy Metal first. Which is better now with Morrison

I'd like to think Steve Lichman's never discussed because people like it too much, but really nobody actually seems to know about it in the first place