In celebration for what would have been his 100th Birthday, lets have a Jack Kirby thread

In celebration for what would have been his 100th Birthday, lets have a Jack Kirby thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sCb_JFGQpto
youtube.com/watch?v=5BQthlhkKI0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I kinda find it depressing that while DC is celebrating Jack's birthday with all those one-shots being released and marvel is doing squat for that time.

Happy Jack Kirby Day!

You can't topple the King.

You know, I expected way more from (you), like a bunch of storytimes or something.
Not even the comic sites seems to care that today Jack Kirby would have celebrated his 100th birthday.

Marvel has put out some one dollar issues, for instance Eternals #1. I bought that one, it was in the dollar rack of my LCS, not very prominently displayed. The layout makes it seem like its not celebratory but just a regular old #1 one dollar test issue of some series.

Dunno if they did much more. They have put out a best of Kirby type volume, though.

So is anyone getting the new fourth world omnibus it's going to be massive and they reliisted the Kamadi omnibus for next year

Fuck yeah, Eternals.
Ajak is still one of my top three favorite Kirby helmets.

>"But I am the revelation! The tiger-force at the core of all things!"

YES.

That's great phrasing.

I'll contribute throughout the day too if the threads lives and doesn't get buried by Sup Forums shitposting.

Haven't read anything but that number 1 yet. Also read the Gaiman miniseries but that didn't impress me too much to be honest. However the first issue of the original series was great and I'll keep reading once I find some time.

Also really liked the letters column. In most of his stuff, Kirby seems like a highly creative individual fascinated by Ancient Aliens theories. The letters column shows that that's not all surface and that he did think a few layers deeper about it than his comics show.

I really wish he would have collaborated with Alejandro Jodorovsky on a project, like Moebius did with Stan Lee. I think they would have been in tune to some degree, but Jodorovsky would never go for that.

I love this picture.

>the threads lives and doesn't get buried by Sup Forums shitposting.

>Be Sup Forums for many years
>every time a political thread happens get told "go back to Sup Forums
>have never been to Sup Forums
>2017 happens every thread is a "go back to Sup Forums" thread on Sup Forumsmblr
>actually go to Sup Forums
>there is far more diverse opinions on Sup Forums than the "liberal boards"

I don't even...

You're not fooling anyone.

Hot Opinions coming:

While Jack Kirby was good and added to the language of comics, Romita Senior was the best thing to happen to Marvel. Where's his parade, yo?

>Romita Senior was the best thing to happen to Marvel

In what way?

I really think you don't understand what Fantastic Four did for Marvel Comics as a whole while Stan and Jack were at the helm. A vast and HUGE bulk of the Marvel universe and lore was created in those pages. Same goes for Thor and Cap, along with everything else they touched to a lesser extent. Spidey was off on his own corner really.

As for the art aspect. Romita Sr. was initially hired, like many others in the bullpen era, to draw like Kirby. The dynamic sense of movement and ACTION. The larger than life quality that Kirby gave to his characters. That was the Marvel way and Romita was part of the crew that helped pave the way under the methods of Jack Kirby. There's an old quote, I forget by who. But it says something to the tune of "Stan wanted Ditko to draw like Ditko. He wanted Kirby to draw like Kirby. And he wanted everyone else to draw... like Kirby."

Every page of The Pact is an unmitigated masterpiece of form and function.
The main core of the saga is the best example of "comics as mythology"

Those were the first real science fiction blockbusters, man. And they're doing it better than all modern Hollywood sci fi movies.

What nonsense. Kirby literally created the way comics are produced at Marvel. Saying any single person is more important to the history of Marvel is a non-starter.

If you haven't experienced F4 and Silver Age Marvel in general first hand you owe it to yourself. I know the stories can be formulaic and Lee's dialogue is wooden but it's worth it.

Storytime: OMAC #1

Thanks user

>Read Devil Dinosaur expecting a "boy and his x" shenanigans
>Get shit like this
Glorious.

Sorry, missed a page.

It was also his last work at Marvel and he just got a job with Hannah Barbara so he was riding his contract out. He said fuck it and did whatever he wanted.

It's a pity that modern Marvel goes out of its way to ignore the Eternals and the Deviants. The Celestials seem to be the only thing from that series that ever gets referenced.

>It's a pity that modern Marvel goes out of its way to ignore the Eternals

They've tried, it just never works. The most recent push was during James Robinson's Invaders title. Which was pretty good but got fucked over by editorial basically pulling all his cast members into one event after another.

From Marvel's perspective, the Eternals are just Inhumans only without anything they can rip off from the X-Men.

The end...of the beginning!

I think it'spretty neat that Kirby predicted in 1974 that in the future we would have destruction rooms and lifelike sexdolls.

youtube.com/watch?v=sCb_JFGQpto

youtube.com/watch?v=5BQthlhkKI0

Lee didn't have a mustache back then

Rare for Kirby: Superman with his face not redrawn

Looks fine to me, don't know why DC insisted on redrawing it every time.

>In this amazing photo: the co-creators of Superman, Batman, Captain America, the X-Men, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, the Fantastic Four hanging out with Lost in Space’s Will Robinson, Star Wars’ Luke Skywalker, and Twin Peaks’ Albert Rosenfeld.

Let that sink in for a moment.

>(Bill Mumy, Jack Kirby, Jerry Siegel, Bob Kane, Mark Hamill, and Miguel Ferrer in January 1987.)

Street Code, Kirby's sole autobiographical comic.

I wonder what Kirby and Moebius are writing and drawing together in Heaven?

The crazinest, coolest Sci-Fi epic in existance.

Got the Galactus Trilogy prepared.

Save it for it's own thread, or storytime here?

Own thread, I think its best this one is free for general Kirby discussion and some shorter stories.

OK So I am not the only one who has had that experience

Does anyone know what the big white and black tube shaped craft to Superman's bottom right is?

And that's it, a glimpse into Jack's childhood.

Stop trying to derail

Really glad to see this thread today. Let's all become justified.
Happy birthday to the King!

Fun Fact: For a brief period Kirby and Simon were working on both Captain America and Captain Marvel. Obviously Captain America won out in their priorities.

Anyone got any cool Kirby tattoos or some neat collectibles?

I don't know that I'd have gotten into comics that heavily if Kirby's Fourth World hadn't smacked me upside the head so hard when I was a kid. Some things you read/see make an impression that lasts a lifetime. Happy Birthday, sir.

It's very rare to find modern artist that can do fights as well as Kirby. Which is a very sad thing.

HOLY SHEEEIT WHAT
A 100TH BIRTHDAY OF JACK KIRBY?
TODAY?

>tfw normies will only recognise Groot and Fin Fang Foom but you can name all of these fuckers because you wasted so much time of your life reading old 50s sci-fi

VERILY!

You say that like it's a bad thing...

I actually just read New Gods, Forever People and Mr Miracle. They hold up really well.