Got hired at a major studio right out of college

>Got hired at a major studio right out of college
>Show just happened to be one of the biggest game changers of the 2010's
>Got a show greenlit on her first try
>Two other shows even got passed up in favor of hers (Princess Amethyst and Super Best Friends Forever)
>Has crazy amounts of creative freedom that is unusual for most showrunners...
>...and uses that freedom to let her boarders run amuck and turn the show into shit with inconsistent drawings and shipping cancer.

Is she both the luckiest and the stupidest showrunner around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aDuLP-ImfgM
vimeo.com/227563486
youtu.be/MKEfQGoviQQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

164 animators around the globe collaborate to redraw the episode of Steven Universe "The Answer" in their varying styles

youtube.com/watch?v=aDuLP-ImfgM
(alternate link for non-americans) vimeo.com/227563486

For something like this to happen, the people involved need talent, skill, creativity, drive, passion, and the self-discipline to see something through to the end.

This video is definitive proof that the fans have more of these qualities than the critics, who will never do anything remotely as impressive. The malcontents here are all talk and no action.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt

nah, that was still Alex

also I think you confused freedom and lack on interest. Your parents never being around to support or raise you isn't them giving you personal freedom its them not giving a shit. and honestly CN just doesn't give a shit about their shows anymore

wait, princess Amethyst was overlooked for this?
okay that's made me a little depressed

CN definitely treated SU early on like it was going to be their next Adventure Time, especially considering Sugar was seen as the second face of Adventure Time next to Pen Ward. And while it took off in fanbase and even converted many AT fans, it didn't take off in the same mainstream regard as CN hoped. I think they had a ton of interest in the show and allowed for creative freedom because that's what they did for AT and was hoping lightning would strike twice if they recreated the same events.

Is this another, "You can't criticize bad food if you don't cook yourself"?

I can point out that the Gemanimate video looks like horse shit and I've seen other people pull off the animation collab thing ten times better despite not animating myself.

>"You can't criticize bad food if you don't cook yourself"

Oh you certainly can, but your criticism is meaningless, worthless, less than nothing. A vague shadow and mockery of those who actually do things.

Someone who cooks a bad meal has still done more than the person who cooks nothing and criticizes them. The person who does things matters. You do not.

Perhaps someday she'll deliver a much-needed kick to our Sup Forumsllective gnads.

Does this collab make Steven sound less like an unsufferable douche?

Isn't that a fallacy?

This is often the shittiest and more insecure way of blowing off critique you don't like to make your bad work look better than someone's no work.

It's the artist's job to create and the audience's job to react. My reaction is, "This is a bad fucking meal". By saying, "W-well, it doesn't matter what you think, because you're not another chef like me!" completely robs the entire relationship and makes it apparent how thin-skinned you are.

its the Answer, he was barely in that episode

and honestly I don't get why fans like the Answer so much, I always that it was kinda lame

I think he's being serious, though it almost feels like bait. Just a bit too cemented in one belief, so that user could just be young/in college.

Why do you keep posting this?

it's the critics who are the most thin-skinned, spewing out any mindless opinion that pops into their cheese heads and acting like their words are masterpieces unto themselves, to be treated with reverence and awe

No sorry, any moron with a keyboard can pop onto Sup Forums and call something bad. the critic isn't nearly as important as he believes himself to be, and the people he criticizes are far more important than he gives them credit for

Was gonna say he was serious until he posted this. Definitely tryhard bait.

That would be Hayley Mancini, an actress who was mistaken as a writer, lied and said she was, and now showruns the PPG reboot.

Because the animation is proof positive that those who love the show are a different tier of people than those who hate on it. A much higher quality of people, and it's good to remind folks here of that.

>globe

Nice post NASA shill

The animation is proof that me typing this post is more effort than some of the artists put into that video.

This picture makes me physically uncomfortable and I don't know why.

you know that something has seriously gone wrong in human society when flat earthers are on the rise

I wager she's the (((luckiest)))

>Two other shows even got passed up in favor of hers (Princess Amethyst and Super Best Friends Forever)

I feel like that had more to do with how DC and CN didn't really get along well back then. They tanked DC nation and cancelled those shows. It's only now that CN has decided only autistic shows should be on CN proper that they've found success with TTGO. They still don't air any ads for JLAction though

*airhorning intensifies*

Im trying to understand, Because a group of people did an animation that makes all the people that like a show superior to anyone that dislikes it. Okay, so MLP:FIM is the best show ever because people that love it have made copious amount of content including several animation collabs, music and books?
I'm not trying to strawman but to comprehend your position.

Lauren Faust mentioned in that animator's panel how CN passed up on Best Friends Forever because "they already had Steven Universe as their girls show", though she could have been being coy because what you're saying is true.

Though CN seems to make exceptions with TTGo so I don't know why they won't play nice with them.

Yeah, my gut was right then. Too bad people will still fall for this. Did the average channer just become an idiot over the past year? A lot of stuff like this wasn't AS prevalent compared to now.

Guy has a point though--a chef's comment on food is going to hold more weight than than comments from a regular shlub.

An artist/creator has no inherent obligation to the mass audience--if they so choose their intended audience can be those that excel or practice in the same field.

Like how in rap you have people like MF Doom, known as "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper."

Ahem

the most skilled.

>Guy has a point though--a chef's comment on food is going to hold more weight than than comments from a regular shlub.
No one said that, but the other user is arguing that NOT being a chef makes everything you said about food virtually worthless.

If the only person you listen to as a chef is other chefs, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to run a career that way.

You do know Teddy Roosevelt was an imperialist?

honestly it becomes a question about art

is popularity at all important? The majority of people don't understand any given art at all, so why should their opinions regarding the art matter at all.

If your goal is to be popular and make money then yes you should listen to the loudest and most numerous voices, but most people would agree that isn't how you make the best art

Its literally the difference between something being for plebs and being for patricians

I don't know if I would consider Alex "lucky". He had to work on Fish Hooks for years which is basically the equivalent of working on a throwaway Teletoon show.

Not true.

If a creator/artist wants to keep employed they have to cater to their audience's demands. Art for the sake of art doesn't put food on the table or pay the bills.

Giving your fanbase what it wants and expects does.

Food for thought, little snowflake.

it's funny how trump supporters call others snowflakes, since his backwards global warming policies will soon end all snowflakes.

How is that even related to the topic?

so all artists/creators should pander to their audience as hard as they possible can

I guess you probably think that Game of Thrones has just become better each season and is as perfect as possible then

I don't watch game of thrones.

>He only lives in extreme spectrums and doesn't know what a middle ground is

I think that's the sign of an actual mental disability.

Not that user, but that is not how I interpreted the original quote. I read it as the weight or credibility does not matter as much as from those who are in the field of expertise of whatever the criticism is given to.

Does it mean anything if a non-cooker comments on food? Yes. But does it matter to the cooker more than a chef giving him criticism? Maybe not. But maybe yes as well. It is all subjective. The comment merely points that the person in that "arena" usually holds the words of those other in the same arena in higher regards because at least they know their shit to the point of having actually practiced it. Is it better? More likely more in depth and learned. Is it more true? Not really. Sometimes the uninitiated can see things that the learned can't.

Learn what snowflake means, you snowflake.

i don't think it's stupidity. I think it's more due to inexperience and a lack of oversight. it's good to have creative freedom but there has to be some guiding hand to rein in these ideas to adhere to your vision

Where that con panel where some Lauren Faust starts talking about how hard it is to get a cartoon made, and how CN told her they didnt want her cartoon because they already had a girls cartoon, which was Steven Universe and didnt need more.

And then Sugar starts mumbling into her mic "e-e-e-exscuse m-me, b-b-but Steven Universe i-is a b-boys cartoon....."

That's a she?!

>given improperly cooked food
>get food poisoning
>possibly die
>'nah you can't criticize it because the cook actually did something while you just ate it'

Nice.

>you XJ9 looking ass bitch
Every fucking time

164 chiefs around the globe collaborated to make these chicken sandwiches in their varying styles

For something like this to happen, the people involved need talent, skill, creativity, drive, passion, and the self-discipline to see something through to the end.

This picture is definitive proof that the fans have more of these qualities than the critics, who will never do anything remotely as impressive. The malcontents here are all talk and no action.

“We’ve always had deeper songs and more emotional stuff on our music. The whole idea of what ‘Miracles’ is to me sums up the band. It’s like, of course these things we’re talking about aren’t real miracles, according to what a miracle is in Webster’s Dictionary or whatever. But anybody that can stand there, looking at a rain forest or something and not think that’s a miracle — I mean, that’s their loss. Anybody that can sit there and look at shooting stars or a fucking full moon when it’s red and hanging over the city and not sit there and think, ‘That looks awesome, and that’s a miracle that we get to see that and have that on this earth and all this shit,’ you know, that’s their loss. Instead, everybody just makes fun of us because we said it. It’s like, that’s fucked up. We will say it, and we’ll continue to say it, and think that.”
-ICP

A chef is fucking worthless if the people eating his food don't like it.

It honestly pains me to see Becky waste her talent like this. Maybe she should've waited a few years before trying her hand at heading a project.

is there a clip of that?
something I really need to see

Politics has infected every board on Sup Forums, every form of social media, every aspect of our daily lives. I'm just tired.

Yeah, there is. Sugar's voice starts cracking and everyone's afraid she's going to break into tears, so Lauren quickly starts backpedaling. It's hilarious.

He looks like a retard so it's to be expected

youtu.be/MKEfQGoviQQ

Start at 20 minute mark

You're an idiot.

>An artist/creator has no inherent obligation to the mass audience
They do have that obligation if they want to get paid and stay in business.

yo don't lie to us about the time. i don't want to sit through 10 minutes of these people patting themselves on the back just to get to the relevant part

Jesus Christ what an ugly human specimen. She's like living, breathing cringe.

>An artist/creator has no inherent obligation to the mass audience
Inherent? No. But most artists who work in a field that DEMANDS an audience in order to stay alive in the first place, like say, a TV show or comic or movie, then yeah.

And most of the time we're talking about artists on this board, we aren't talking about gallery artists who sit in their cabin and draw privately to themselves everyday and the only reason they got exposed is because their friend pushed them to show off their work. We're talking about people who depend entirely on people looking at them, enjoying their work, buying their merch, and so on just to stay afloat.

I don't think you have to resort to bending over backwards for your audiences and do things like make ships canon, but you should also be aware of what audiences want from you to avoid you going way too experimental and scaring off people who liked what you were doing in the first place. If SU suddenly killed off the entire Earth and became a hardcore action show where all the characters spoke like Fullmetal Alchemist characters, yeah some people would love the sudden shift, but a huge portion of your fanbase would be turned off and annoyed and you'll just create a split group in your own viewers.

Look at AT and how many people started to drop it when it stopped being about its original "boy goes on adventures" premise.

Hold up. Are you saying that because a bunch of talented animators got together and redrew in episode all SU fans are creative, superior, fantastic people? Those animators are probably less than 1% fanbase. By your logic the fans who sit like baby birds waiting for Sugar to vomit new content into their mouths are just as bad as the reviewers. You both only contribute your words and ideas you've already said is worthless. Based on your own logic if you weren't an animator in the project shut the fuck up.

The power of being a jew. Say what you will, but they look out for their own.

go to 35:20

do you have autism

he's a steven universe fan so it goes without saying

holy fuck please tell me this is real

Not everyone is a creator. For a creator's work to have value, there must be consumers.

If someone's creating JUST for themselves, like they're doing it just for fun and aren't trying to please anyone, fine, criticism is meaningless. But if you're a professional, trying to put out a product for others to consume, their opinions have weight.

>If SU suddenly killed off the entire Earth and became a hardcore action show
just imagine
>steven and the gems go to homeworld to confront white diamond
>white diamond just blows up the earth and shatters garnet and amethyst
>pearl is imprisoned
>steven is saved by the snake people
>timeskip
>steven is now a hardened soldier working with the snake people to destroy the gem empire
>no more crying and shitty songs

She looks better with longer hair.
Like most women

>look ma I posted it again!

>Steven Universe is a boys cartoon.
In what way, Sugar?

Yeah, and?

MC is a boi. That's enough

>>no more crying and shitty songs
What's the point then?

From an art point it fails, SU is for plebs who buoy it up with unwarranted praise because THIER shitty thing THEY wanted got into the show and everyone else thinks maybe if they scream loud enough they'll get something too

She was the only jew amongst the 3 people proposing their ideas. And hers was the only one that purposefully subverted stable societal norms with degenerate culture to further (((((their)))) agenda. It was a foregone conclusion.

So basically Doom but with a different paint job.

It's not a terrible idea in concept but I would rather just play Doom than radically change something.

My gif is better because of it's filename.

>SU is for plebs who buoy it up with unwarranted praise because THIER shitty thing THEY wanted got into the show and everyone else thinks maybe if they scream loud enough they'll get something too
That makes no sense.

>filename
That only makes it better.

Patrician taste my friend.

>>Two other shows even got passed up in favor of hers (Princess Amethyst and Super Best Friends Forever)
Princess Amethyst and SBFF for Steven Fucking Universe...
Tell me this isnt true

>Guy has a point though--a chef's comment on food is going to hold more weight than than comments from a regular shlub.
Not if the chef is Guy Fieri.

Game's in english, go crazy.

If you don't recognize the source, you don't deserve to be helped.

Prequel's out too.

thanks for derailing the thread

anyway, yes Sugar got incredibly lucky. I feel like practically anybody else would've done a better job with similar resources. All things considered SU seems to be heading towards a pretty limp climax.

Getting on Adventure Time was totally at random since Ward actually hired a complete random group without much thought behind it.

But in 2011-12 when AT became fuckhuge all the suits at Cartoon Network worshiped the AT crew as the perfect infallible team and gave them whatever the hell they wanted without question. So yea no shit she was picked for a pilot on her first try over others, she was incapable of doing any wrong at that time in the eyes of the CN suits.

She largely fell into success by mere chance.

>Princess Amethyst and SBFF for Steven Fucking Universe...
>Tell me this isnt true
Sugar was smart user.
She realized that the networks would never pick up SU if it was just the Gems so she used Steven as a Trojan horse. With a male protagonist, network heads couldn't call it a girl show and could just center the merch around Steven ala Avatar.

And Sugar's gamble ended up working greatly; not only was SU a success but numerous pilots with female protagonists were commissioned. We're even getting a DC Superhero Girl show with Lauren Faust at the helm.

So all things considered, SU getting picked up was probably the best timeline.

>All things considered SU seems to be heading towards a pretty limp climax.
We're not even close to a climax.

how do you figure?

>wanting comic book adaptions over an original IP.
I'm not even surprised; this is the board with MCU threads and was home to the Horse Show.

>She largely fell into success by mere chance
user, that's what luck is.

Story wise, there's a ton of plot threads that need to be tied.

Production wise, there's at least a sixth season in production, with the cast still recording, the crew still working and characters confirmed to be returning.

Its a touch pedantic but Doom deserves his reputation, anyone can enjoy him. Case in point: I'm not a rapper. Doom is easily in my top 3. You just can't infer backward like that.

Considering what happened to BtB and GL, do you really think those shows would have had a chance?

Who the fuck is this guy?

this wouldn't happen if people didn't vote a living meme into office, and instead a competent person who would have at least kept the fucking status quo.

Jewish nepotism.