Ed Skrein Exits 'Hellboy' Reboot After Whitewashing Outcry

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ed-skrein-exits-hellboy-reboot-whitewashing-outcry-1033431

Other urls found in this thread:

twiststreet.tumblr.com/post/164493067485
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>SJW films bomb nonstop
>Hollywood still thinks listening to SJWs is a good idea

They'll just make the character black and everyone will be okay with it.

>mixed heritage

He has a Japanese sounding name and he looks white as fuck. Literally who cares. Fucking Hollywood.

is this what Sup Forums argues about? skin color?

That's what the THREAD IS ABOUT DIPSHIT

Humanity is retarded.

I feel really bad for Ed Skrein. Seriously.

This

exactly go back to Sup Forums

I hate in what you have become US. There is no saving you. Corrupted to the core.

Everything is offensive to SJWs. Soon we won't be able to show anything on screen.

>105 minutes of an all-black screen with no music or sound whatsoever

>implying they won't make him full asian and played by a korean actor

I didn't make the thread you actual retard.
The thread is about an actor deciding not to play a role because he got pressured out of it because he's not the "right race"
When Hollywood CONSTANTLY includes characters that aren't the "right race", most notably in the past few years having black actors play nonblack characters. But Hollywood is applauded for making these choices, whereas the moment a white guy plays a half-asian character people are up in arms.
I don't get how it's Sup Forums to think that this double standard is a problem, a problem that's symptomatic of the overall artistic bankruptcy that's plaguing western entertainment media. At the end of the day, it's not about black or white, asian or latino, man or woman, it's about artistic integrity and it's about having some god damn consistency and not being a fucking hypocrite.

Good. Daimio should be asian. Casting Ed Skrein was a stupid decision in the first place.

WHERE'S THE JUSTICE FOR ALL THE GINGERS BEING REPLACED?!

TL:DR

skin color issues are the worst bait of them all, the only issues with skin color are the ones we make.

Of course.

"Diverse" means Black.

>japanese grandmother
>implying we will ever get far enough in the franchise to see this have any consequence

Why would you even change the race of this character? fucking why?
You people are idiots.

If only the pavement ape actors were so gracious.

Being Japanese is actually important to Daimo's character, so im not bothered about this.

twiststreet.tumblr.com/post/164493067485

>The reboot that no one reasonable anywhere wanted or cares is happening is also super-racist now?? They cast a white rapper to play BPRD’s Japanese-American character Major Daimio. I mean, I subscribe to the “it was cool that Michael Clarke Duncan played Kingpin because who gives a fucking shit” school of thought, so there’s probably a degree of hypocrisy to me getting annoyed by this shit, but I guess I kinda do! It’s just so weird. Why are white folks so allergic to seeing Asian people in their shit? Tony Leung– cool. Chow Yun Fat– cool. Toshiro Mifune– cool. Asian girl I saw dancing on a couch at a party 19 years ago– cool. But none of that ever seems to matter. Folks don’t even want to see Asian people in their movie about red-skinned hell creatures who eat pancakes! A hell creature wearing a trenchcoat? Sure, sure. But an Asian person in there? Whooooooah, that is a step too far! “A heroic Asian? Not believable. Now– somebody get more red paint on the guy from Stranger Things’s dick. No one’s going to believe that dick came from hell unless we apply more paint!” All our dicks came from Hell when you turn off the lights, though (ladies).

>But Hollywood is applauded for making these choices, whereas the moment a white guy plays a half-asian character people are up in arms.

Because for decades Hollywood used yellow face rather than hiring actual asian actors, and even today they are a minority group with very limited job opportunities and representation, with studios still actively casting white people on asian roles.

>It’s not even a movie anyone cares about! Who the hell is lining up to see Hellboy Reloaded– some kid who likes getting wedgies, or some kid who likes getting swirlies? Will they set aside their differences and see it together, or is that a Montague-Capulet kinda thing? I mean, I read those comics, I liked those comics, and I still have no fucking earthly idea why they made a SECOND of those movies, let alone why they’d make a third. Nobody saw Logan Lucky or the Nice Guys, and they’re making three Hellboy movies! Also: San Diego had plaques commemorating Robert E. Lee in Horton Plaza, to remind San Diego’s frat-people about the South’s proud tradition of slavery and losing wars and helplessly watching General Sherman burn all their shit and sex up all their grandmas! So, like, on the scale of “what the hell, white folks?” this really doesn’t register very high on any kinda Richter scale this month, it’s been a weird month, but I mean…

>Anyways: Hellboy’s all racist now. Good job, America. I remember the good old days when the people who made Hellboy shit weren’t racist– they just liked biting people and doing other kinds of creepy offensive shit without repercussion… It was a more civilized age, and we all cut off each other’s hands with laser-swords.

how will historians look back on this era of cultural sensitivity?

every ones worried about offending some nigger or fag, humans have never been so fucking sensitive before in fucking history.

>mfw no one mentioned whitewashing for the Ancient One
fucking marvel shills

... good? Skrein is an alright actor, but he would have been a bad Daimio. Am I supposed to be upset about this?

There was quite a bit of discussion about this on Sup Forums.

>"It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people"

Oh for fuck's sake, he's only saying that because they're white. If they cast a black person any criticism would be called racism.
At least now I know not to waste my money on the movie.

not in the media

>Hollywood making nonblack characters black is okay because Asians got the shaft for so long
??
Maybe my wording was bad. I'm saying it's hypocritical for Hollywood to think it's okay to make nonblack characters black and then turn around and let white actors get bullied off screen for not being the "right race".

Our ansestors will be even more of faggots

>They'll just make the character black and everyone will be okay with it.

The sad thing is, this isn't too far from being a possibility.

There was talk, and it was double fun since it was clearly Disney pandering to China in its casting decision by not wanting to get the movie banned due to any clear Tibet references, etc.

This. I hate Riverdale as much as the next guy but at least they made the important gingers still gingers and had the actors at least die their hair.

Demolition Man

Black actors went through the same shit for a long time and we're only recently properly started to finally see a concentrated effort to change that.

were only going to become more worried about people being offended?

fuck we need a war or something before were all giant stinky pussys

And Hollywood is wondering why no one fucking cares about them anymore.

The faster these fucking cunts die, the better.

I'm sure you voiced the same complaint on literally every MCU movie ever, didn't you?

Jesus what a faggot. Who cares if minorites dont get "represtented" as much as they bitch and whine for

Then why not make their own fucking roles then and stop having everything handed to them?

>they make hell boy black instead of red

DI-VERSATA

I seriously hope that it die for good.

Exactly. But we live in a world where white people are considered to not have any cultural heritage and as such can be replaced with *insert minority here).

I respect the dude for stepping down. I'm not a fan of mis-casting at all. Though it's hard to tell if it was due to his own accord or if the angry retard portion of SJWs loud and violence laden tantrums swayed his decision. Either way, I hope he gets another role.

You won't likely see it done the opposite way. I very much doubt the actress that plays Domino, for example, will step down due to the comic version not being black.

Its the same people who got upset over what already seemed to be an OC using Alice's name being mixed yet said nothing about the initial casting of Daimo. They dont actually care about the characters and just want a reason to be angry.

Black people want the world to know how strong and independent they are, but they will NEVER turn down a welfare handout.

Hollywood will just white wash them anyway. Like always.

?

hollywood cares about asians now?

Name one example from the last 5 years of a black character being whitewashed in a hollywood film.

No, they just don't like whites. That's been obvious for a long time now.

>"105 minutes of blackness? What the fuck, Hollywood? Never have I seen such a blatant example of raw institutionalized racism. Just more flagrant proof that all cishet white males are bigoted shitpig Hitlers!"

shut the fuck up

The only example I can think of from the past THIRTY years is Terry from the Spawn movie.

Black characters getting white-washed simply doesn't happen.

Americans need to tone back this diversity shit before it infects the whole world.

Can't wait for this to flop like Dark Tower did.

Fuck Hollywood.

No seriously
Just one
If you name one you'll be right and I'll be wrong, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Because Hollywood doesn't work like that. They label everything black as an "urban" project and then just produce a token amount of their "urban" projects to fill a quota. Or they just go "nobody wants to see this since it's too urban" and white wash it. Anything not predominantly white is still perceived as a risk, and Hollywood hates risks.

Wish this happened more so we got more accurate adaptations.

Has that ever happened? If so, what was the outcome?

Nick Fury went over kinda well
The Starfire thing's getting a little pushback
People on Sup Forums don't seem to pleased with Domino
Without googling, those are three that pop up off the top of my head.

You mean 'descendants'. 'Ancestors' are those who came before, Descendants are those who come after.

Is this some sort of 'English second language' thing because I see this mistake a lot? Maybe some language where the same word covers both concepts or something?

I don't get it. If he's so adamant that nobody gives a shit about Hellboy movies, then why does he care if the guy is Asian or not? Why nitpick the casting of something he feels nobody will watch anyway?

>Japanese sounding name
>Skrein
come again

>reading comprehension

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film

I'm pretty sure he means switchinng from one minority to another.

well there is Wanted,God Of Egypts and Kick Ass but i think te first two doesn't count since Wanted it's totally different from the comic(and characters too) GOE well if i criticize the White actor instead of megazord gods and the rest i'm a hypocrite only Mother russia was whitewashed

>Death Note

>The English-language adaptation of the Japanese manga relocates the story to Seattle and renamed the protagonist Light Turner. USA Today reported that the film received backlash for whitewashing in casting white actors when Asian American actors could have been cast.

>only mention white actors

My God

Yeah, asian to black, black to latino, etc

>this is fine though

Death Note

no one was happy

Joseph Fiennes playing Michael Jackson, like within the last three years. It happens less these days with black people because people tend to notice and make a ruckus, but asian an arabic roles still get whitewashed constantly. Remember Avatar? 21, the blackjack movie, changed the main cast from asians to white, and that fucking movie was based on real story. Liam Neeson was Ra's al Ghul. Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia. Scarjo in Ghost in the Shell.

>The Great Wall
>n this film set in the Northern Song Dynasty of ancient China, Matt Damon stars in the lead role of William Garin.
>Director Zhang Yimou defended the casting choice, stating that Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor.
Then this literally isn't whitewashing, what the fuck wikipedia?

White people are not a race or culture therefore need no representation.

Death note really doesn't count because the creator liked it, and they said they were doing an american redo, because there are already good live action films
people who complain about it on the internet are fucking retarded

Archie is a Pacific Islander

This.

The faster they get bred out, the better for everyone.

what even the dub? what the fuck wikipedia?

>There is an article about whitewashing but not an article about people of other races playing roles designed for characters of other races
Interesting
But I guess you're right. Except, and this may be moving the goalposts a little but I did specify white actors being cast for black characters didn't I? So let's take a look at this list.
In the last 5 years, it looks like the ONLY black character that got "whitewashed" is The Beguiled, and Wikipedia explains that the Director intentionally changed the cast of characters to avoid showing African Americans in a hostile or negative light.

But I guess you won, you did find one example in the last 5 years.

>This happens yet they still blackwash Domino

Shut the fuck up, cumskin

wait i though the race of a comic book character didn't matter and that was why all of these white comic book characters keep getting made black

nigger

you mean those dozens of countries in Europe?

Get fucked you racist piece of shit.

>but not an article about people of other races playing roles designed for characters of other races
Nothing stops you from making one

cheaper to give a black girl a white spot on her eye than painting a white girl chalk white every day

Wikipedia unironically does.

gay nigger

There actually is, but it's called "Color-blind casting"

Cause it's good when white people are replaced.

Alice isnt a BPRD agent with Ghost Powers either. The real question is why theyre calling an OC Alice. And while I love The Storm and The Fury, Alice was a flat character who exsisted to be expositied to and for Hellboy to eventually be sad about. Personally I care far more about them getting Daimo right than getting what little there is to her right.

I R O N Y
R
O
N
Y

So the black girl playing Domino will quit any day now, right?

Keep digging that hole, cumskin.

You'll be real sorry soon enough.

Well there you go then, everyone gets what they want.

I normally hate SJWs and feminists and make a point to oppose them on most issues but Hollywood whitewashing asians is annoying as fuck and they need to stop fucking doing it.

>Historians

Probably going to be reading history off a cave wall

So why are blacks responsible for half of all crime?