Why is The Batman so unpopular?

I'm rewatching it now and it's fucking amazing.
Yet everyone seems to consider it dumbed-down and inferior to TAS, which is ridiculous - TAS feels like an 80s stereotype of Batman, while this show doesn't seem dated at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r4LJrCWIXWw
youtube.com/watch?v=za27j5HhQrA
youtube.com/watch?v=qkAEjkxxUfk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>TAS feels like an 80s stereotype of Batman,

elaborate.

I rewatched it a few years ago. It's not bad. It's not great. It's just fine.

When people think of the Joker, they don't think of a Rastafarian Kungfu guy. There's a reason for that, OP.

>The Batmanfag is back
When will you accept that most people think TAS was better and nothing will change their minds?

Literally because no muh joker.

>TAS feels like an 80s stereotype

How exactly? Was it the 40s guns? The blimps from the 30s? The modern swat gear? The Crime Noir fashion? The art deco architecture?

As for The Batman it seemed kinda weird to have a new continuity batman running while JLU was still running- and then there's the issue of adding a less fleshed out & boring version of the Justice League in season 4 for no real reason

I'd have to think about it, but one really obvious thing is the art style. Batman is drawn like a fucking rectangle, while the females in the show look like some sort of idealized concept of 80s sexiness (actually highly unattractive).

>Why is The Batman so unpopular?
The joker, also every other villain.

Just to demonstrate with an example, how the fuck can anyone say right isn't strictly superior to left in terms of design? Fucking nostalgiafags

The Batman did many things better than BTAS
Clayface
Dick Grayson
Lucius Fox
Bad End/Alt Future episodes

Better question: how do you go from this...

To assrape

...to this?

To more assrape

The first design is hideous, second one is creepily disturbing. Guess which one is better?

I confess I liked the Bat-Mecha, western media lacks cool mechas

>The first design is hideous
Haha you got me. Nicely played dude. Also checked, (you) deserve those dubs.

It's fine. Not being as good as BTAS isn't much reason to dislike something.

I also like the part when Batman kicks Dracula so hard he explodes.

This b8 deserves a second (you)

I don't know why this reminds me of Sonic Adventure art.

I enjoyed the IvyxBatgirl thing, Shame they didn't keep it going late into the series.

I'm glad they changed the design from this to this. Still not that good.

That design is just fucking TERRIBLE. Take off the nostalgia filter glasses, and you'll realize it too.

The Batman was good till it changed animation studio and introduced Robin and Barbara

You are terrible

>Robin and Barbara
>mixing secret identity and real name
opinion discarded

No offense, but I don't think you know what you're talking about when you compare BTAS' females to 80's sexiness.

On the left, we have Linda Hamilton. In 84, she was though of as a sexy leading lady in The Terminator, and believe it or not, this is one of the more flattering pictures I found of her.

On the right, Poison Ivy. If Bruce Timm was at all trying to create an idealized version of 80's sexiness, then he failed miserably. Poison Ivy has more in common with classic pinup girls of the 40's, 50's, and 60's. It's a look that fits the intentionally vague past/present setting of BTAS' Gotham perfectly.

You mentioned the square jaw, but I can poke holes in the pic on the right too by pointing out Batgirl and Robin's enormous doe eyes and balloon-shaped heads.

>>idealized concept of 80's sexiness

As of course. I just noticed Batman's acid wash jeans and Batgirl's feathered hair.

I loved The Batman as a kid

>Implying EL PENGUINO isn't the best TV version of Oswald Cobblepot

Seriously Tom Kenny was a fantastic Penguin, and I half wonder if that's what led to him being cast as Ice King for AT.

I can't be the only one who shipped them... can I?

>TAS feels like an 80s stereotype of Batman, while this show doesn't seem dated at all.
Then again, TAS was heavily based off the Tim Burton movies

It was, but it wasn't. The Joker wasn't dead, the events of films were never referenced, The Penguin was a COMPLETELY different character, and Harvey Dent wasn't black.

Visually there's even less common ground, as the Gotham of the Burton films lacked the 30s/40s/50s-inspired Art Deco style of the animated series.

OP is full of shit.

Yes, you are, congratulations.

>80s sexiness (actually highly unattractive).
Post some examples of 80s sexy women cause you don't seem to know what that is if you think Harley Quinn looks anything close to it

The character designs and animation look like cheap generic crap and the writing was far inferior to the DCAU. I think The Batman was done by the same studio that made Jackie Chan Adventures.

Both the writing and (especially) animation were vastly superior to the DCAU counterpart.

I genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't The Batman turn Mr. Freeze into a generic criminal with ice powers instead of giving him the much loved tragic backstory from TAS? And again, the character designs are just atrocious Saturday morning crap.

Mr. Freeze's backstory from TAS would make ZERO sense in The Batman, given the roles he plays there. They HAD to change it drastically.

I understand but the complaint you cited in the OP stands. It's definitely a dumbed down Saturday morning cartoon targeted at a younger audience compared to Justice League Unlimited which was running concurrently.

>It's definitely a dumbed down Saturday morning cartoon targeted at a younger audience
It's certainly made "cooler", but not dumbed down.

>while this show doesn't seem dated at all

I don't know about that. This look screams early 00s to me. I'm not a fan.

The character designs seem a bit more angular, I liked them though

10/10 you got me

You got a career in baiting, boy.

Are you still falling for the bate? What is wrong with you guys?

They gave Riddler the tragic backstory instead and it was fucking great.

I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he was little when this show was current and it's nostalgic for him.

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

Its by far the least notable Batman show of all. Batman the Animated series was revolutionary in it's depiction of content deemed inappropriate for kids, as well as it's mature themes and stories. Batman Beyond was Batman in Space. Beware was 3d and featured more lesser known Bat villains. And Brave and The Bold was a love letter to the silver age. The Batman is not bad, but its so painfully generic when you line it up with everything else.

So in other words, it was the only Batman cartoon that avoided shitty gimmicks and focused on delivering great animation and storytelling?

>Its by far the least notable Batman show of all
Beware the Batman

>So in other words, it was the only Batman cartoon that avoided shitty gimmicks and focused on delivering great animation and storytelling?
(You)

That would be Justice League Unlimited.

No, Beware brought a lot of new things to the table. Not just the CG, obscure villains, and a more involved Alfred, but it's the first serialized Batman series.

What did The Batman do, besides anime-like designs?

Sorry man, but I'll mantain to the day I die that Riddler being a whiny goth makes sense for the setting. The only place where it would fit more would be in Beyond.

>What did The Batman do
Have the best multi-episode arc of any Batman series with the Clayface stuff?

It's just the early 00s character designs I can't stand. This is pretty much timeless. This is Sonic the Hedgehog grinding rails on a snowboard tier.

>TAS feels like an 80s stereotype of Batman

You know how I know you're the same user that constantly posts this thread? Because he always uses this exact argument, despite 90% of the BTAS aesthetic coming from 40s art deco and Silver/Bronze age character designs

I remember I read a doujin of this version batgirl getting ganged banged

I only watch this kinda stuff with my group of friends and after Spectacular Spidey / Avengers EMH / Teen Titans they figure BTAS is too dated. It's a ton of not-so-flashy episodes and each has a different story; no real build-up in between.

Fun Fact: They designed Riddler after Marilyn Manson because they originally wanted Manson to voice him but they couldn't reach him so they got Robert Englund instead.

i thought it was Jeffery Combs

Englund was pretty spot on, I can't really imagine Manson voicing him.

Kevin Michael Richardson is my favorite Joker VA.

I've seen this thread before its bait

He doesn't beat Hammil for me, but he's definitely very good.
I'm surprised he hasn't been hired for more Joker roles

The Batman's version of Freeze was more in line with Freeze's early appearances, so there was at least a precedent for that version.

It was too experimental which is why people didn't like it. But I thought it was really good.

1 Batman TAS
2 Brave and the bold
3 The Batman
4 Beware the Bat

in that order. jesus its not bad, just a bit shallow is all. Though the clayface was well done and I liked the batman joker dynamic in it. while I don't like the design of the Joker that much but I respect them putting their own twist and I do love Kevin Michael Richardson, he has a great tempo and timing for the character

Brave and the Bold is better than TAS, though.

Beware The Batman was unfairly censored, got forced to make too many changes, and got forced to get released a lot more earlier than planned. Also they had budget cuts, was hardly marketed at all, and went on hiatus. When Beware The Batman came out it was the cool thing to hate on it.

We could have had a nice Outsiders cartoon, but no.

When people think about how great Batman: TAS is, they are only remember the dozen good episodes. They are forgetting the dozens of episodes that were dull or just not very good.

Why are there so many pics of that design?
He looked like this only in the first episde.

I get it but that's just my taste, what Pushes TAS over for me is its connection to Superman TAS and the justice league cartoons, giving us a nice fully rounded universe. Though few things in this world will ever come close to the perfection that was Brave and the Bolds Aquaman

Only reason its low on the list is because its only one season, I agree we were robbed. Besides wasn't there an 80's batman cartoon that's the true bottom of the list?

>Brave and the Bold is better than TAS

too true
plus calling it a batman series only is like calling Earth's Mightiest Heroes either Ironman and Friends or Nick Fury's Worst Week Ever

Catwoman was hot.

I remeber the first 2 season being terrible. Then it became pretty good but BTAS blows it out of the water in every regard.

Brave and the Bold really depends on how you like nostalgia and those type of jokes in general. BTAS can be enjoyed by anyone who likes Batman.

>If Bruce Timm was at all trying to create an idealized version of 80's sexiness, then he failed miserably. Poison Ivy has more in common with classic pinup girls of the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

You can't be this fucking stupid.

Idk about you but I want to undress BTAS Joker and fuck his brains out.

>wasn't there an 80's batman cartoon that's the true bottom of the list?
1977, actually
youtube.com/watch?v=r4LJrCWIXWw

Yes, that's Adam and Burt. The 70's wasn't a good time for them.

>that episode where the Joker wears the cowl

2nd best Joker
Best Clayface
Best Firefly
Best Riddler
Best Black Mask
Best Killer Croc

Best Hugo Strange as well

Best Batgirl
3rd Best Robin
2nd Best Alfred

This show was better than it gets credit for

That backstory only works if you hace Freeze going on a villain stunt once. Changing it in New 52 was one of the best things Snyder did.

Oh, and BTAS made a cute little jab at it in one episode

youtube.com/watch?v=za27j5HhQrA

I just can't stop listening to this extended intro theme, it's so addictive: youtube.com/watch?v=qkAEjkxxUfk

He's right though, the show has nothing to do with the 80s.

It's a show from the 90s, set in a Art Deco meets Gothic Futurism setting, with influences from 1930 up to 1960 in terms of design choices for both its characters and the technology around them, and Noir cinema for its writing.

There's nothing 80s about it, and saying that the show feels like an "80s stereotype of Batman" is absolutely ignorant of the very history of the character, since the show is widely recognized to have actually completely reinvented the character and changed his pop culture persona of "campy dude who dresses like a bat and punches mobsters" people held during the 80s, to "dark detective who fights psychopaths while battling his own demons".

It was, up to that point, the only audiovisual rendition of Batman that took the character completely seriously and tried to provide actual quality stories for both young and mature viewers.

>completely reinvented the character and changed his pop culture persona of "campy dude who dresses like a bat and punches mobsters"
To be fair, Tim Burton did his fair share too...

Not in a campy way, though. The "regular" crime stories in BTAS were very noirish and grounded, not at all what people usually associated with Batman at the time.

Rasta Joker was still the best thing in the show. He felt a lot more legitimately insane than usual, and his voice was incredible.

I look at this picture and all I can think about is code lyoko

I don't see it, where are the giant foreheads user?

at least give the guy some shoes

Beware is much better than it gets credit for