What's your opinion on AUs?

What's your opinion on AUs?

Other urls found in this thread:

cupilart.tumblr.com/tagged/SaintOlga-au
cupilart.tumblr.com/tagged/roleswap-au
reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/4gzhta/hello_again_the_list_of_all_lists_is_back/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty cool.

What?

Currently working on one

They're nice

It's an AU. Pic is another one I like.

Which episode was this?

They're great.

They can be a thing of beauty.

Wasted effort.
Having to use someone's work to write a story you want to tell just seems extremely lazy.

And you seem extremely unfun.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but I would rather have people show their own potential instead of ripping off others.

Homer called, he wants his adventurer character back.

Their entertainment value varies depending how much creative thought is put into the AU

9 times out of 10 it's dumb tumblr shit, like x pairing being canon or x character being a transqueer

Isn't that entirely what the comic industry is about at this point?
Countless writers writing the same characters in different ways?
And aren't like a fuckton of the more famous Sherlock Holmes stories basically fanfictions from wayy back when copyright law wasn't retarded?

While I understand where you're coming from, is there anything someone can create nowadays that they can claim to be 100% original? This is why tropes are a thing, because it's all been done before.

But what an AU allows for is a new creator that can inject new angles or ideas into a story, one that has the benefit of already including beloved characters. Everyone has a character from something that they would love to see more of, but if the show/comic/book they come from is finished, fan works are the next best thing.

Of course, they're not always going to be on par with the original work. But every once in a while, you find that gem of a fanfic that makes you want to read more of them.

Regardless, just let fans have their fun.

>Isn't that entirely what the comic industry is about at this point?
And that is why I stay away from the majority of comics.

>r63ing a handful of characters instead of the entire cast

Into the wastebin

I like AUs.

This said, why Gravitty Falls AUs are so numerous and so good, but most Star VS are really, really bad? One of the most popular ones is literaly just a recolor.

To be honest, I can only think of like 3 decent Star vs. AUs, one being the one in the OP

>LIAR

>Shit taste
Opinion discarded.

Most of the best Star Vs AUs come from an artist by the name of Cupil. I highly recommend checking looking into her work.

cupilart.tumblr.com/tagged/SaintOlga-au
cupilart.tumblr.com/tagged/roleswap-au

I like the reverse stuff, if mostly for the aesthetic

Actualy the best way to make sense out of a rule 63 AU is by doing that.

Otherwise you go full circle, and the interactions of the characters become too similar to the original ones.

Take Sokka for example:
>Normal Sokka
Wants to be a warrior, prove himself in the eyes of his dad that is fighting in the war, put in charge to protect his tribe and his sister.

>Entire world gender swaped Sokka
Wants to be a warrior, prove herself in the eyes of her amazon mother that is fighting in the war with the other women, put in charge to protect her tribe and her brother

>Only Katara and Sokka gender swaped
Wants to be a mother and think that women shouldnt take part in the war, after all, thisis what men are made for. Still, once her little bro was put in charge of the tribe (and proved to be too young and soft for the position), she was forced to step in and relutactly play the role that she would rather not take part, and slowly accepts that she does like it ad can make a difference.

Yeah, I hate the overly edgy characterization, but the color scheme and designs are top. People just forget to keep the FEEL and style of GF, and that the evil twins are not meant to be the protagonists.

As a writer of a UA, I feel that AU's are cool and they provide inspiration for different takes on a show.

Also, what about UAs (Universe Alterations)?

I find it weird that undertale has SO

FUCKING

MANY

reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/4gzhta/hello_again_the_list_of_all_lists_is_back/

I like Steven AU's

Mostly cringy bullshit what-ifs. Glad it ain't official

I don't bother with it, if the original version is bad, then it's bad.

Does this count

>Big Daddy Garnet
take me

>what is fanfiction

>tfw no Gumball AUs
I mean, there is the abuse AU but still

this place made me realized I like AU where there are a few r63 which leads to different shipping pairs

I've been off-and-on trying to adapt the Reverse Pines concept into into a standalone, Ray Bradbury-esque story. It's a great concept that can be massively shifted in tone and scope by changing which aspects of canon GF are focused on or downplayed.

I really, really miss S1/early S2 /sug/.

Shortly after he'll be powerless and watches as another man penetrates her in front of a crowd.

delet this
it's an AU you
she surrenders after seeing the error of her ways through him
and she works to undone her wrongs

I shall delete and apologize for nothing.
Although I do admit I too have wished for some happy endings where there were none.

They're okay

Say what you will, he still saved Genos by stalling for time.

Cringey cancer. Just watch the fucking show for what it is. If you want to create your own thing that is completely unrecognizable to the source material, make your own original content. It's fucking cancer. Sometimes a fanfic and fanart can be nice, but AUs as a general concept are disgusting trash.