Why is it so underrated?

Why is it so underrated?

Because nobody went to see it. I love this movie as well, but that's the reason. People were cautious of Disney after Black Cauldron, which did horribly critically and financially. Luckily, Disney learned how to get their shit together from Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company, leading to the renaissance.

Olivia's cute.

Because princesses get all the attention.

who wants to see a 2d movie about mice from 40 years ago?

>No figures for TGMD were ever released for Disney Infinity

Niggers.

As a child I demanded to watch this movie at least twice a day for many years. On my way to school, (we had a van) on the way back and when I got home.

My parents had to buy another VHS copy. I'm not sure why I was so obsessed with it. I haven't seen it in at least a decade but I think I'll watch this weekend.

Ah memories. :')

Because it wasn't a musical, despite the insidious voice of Vincent Price.

OK, this is driving me crazy, but I KNOW the voice acting for Fidget was redone along the line. The home video releases have a different voice compared to the version that shows on TV, the TV one is screechier.

Am I wrong? Is there any way to compare the two?

>I'm not sure why I was so obsessed with it.
Mmmhmm...

Pretty sure you're wrong, Candy Candido has a very recognizable voice.

Not the one from Black Cauldron.

Being a licensed character from a film that wasn't a big hit means that Disney never really pushed him the way they did other films.

Had the DTV sequels continued, Disney probably would have eventually got around to it seeing as how they did that with The Fox and The Hound.

I like the little mouse. she's cute. :3

Supposedly, Basil was the star of some scrapped movie called The Search For Mickey Mouse, where he would have visited every movie in the Disney Canon, somehow.

Yup.

HEY FELLA
IT'S TIME TO RAISE YOUR PAAAAWWW

whoa there..... not sure I like where this is going.

Because it doesn't sell merchandise like other movies, so fuck it.

its pretty much the only disney feature most people (especially modern kids) have never heard of

Did they even make any merchandise? I've never seen any. That would certainly help.

Stupid sexy Rattigan, film gave me a laundry list of fetishes.

>Why is it so underrated?
Because I covet my hipster status and my god is a merciful one.

Not that user but I really didn't remember this scene at all until a furry thread came up some weeks ago.

What has been a constant in my memory is Rattigan though. Damn guy was fun to watch. I also enjoyed a lot how Basil worked his way out like when they were tied on the mousetrap.

cute

I would say timing, it came just a little before the renaissance and just got overshadowed by other movies.

>such a success it singlehandedly saved Disney animation after the flop that was Black Cauldron
>nobody went to see it
You're fucking retarded

True, dude has one of the best villain songs in the Disney library.

Has anyone read the book?

I had a crush on Basil as a kid

because it's not that good

She's so forgettable that I kept seeing her posted around and thought to myself, "What Don Bluth movie is this from?".

I vividly remember this scene though because it was probably one of the few times where an extremely cute moment in Disney actually made me "aw" out loud.

Whatever happened to mice movies in general? I don't think there has been one in almost a decade.

they were replaced by musicals during disney renaissance.

Which one? The one he recorded for the mousetrap scene, or the one his goons sing for him during his introduction?

No songs (aside from the one in the bar) and no princesses, so it doesn't get promoted nearly as much.

Also pretty dark, but pretty great film.

No songs also means the kids aren't begging to watch it and sing along over and over and over.

Plus, there's not any real merch-able characters.

And it's scary as fuck for little kids.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense why it's not on the level of other Disney movies in terms of popularity.

The second one, he does sing in it.

>sultry female song in a bar
>peg leg bat
>alcoholic is eaten alive

okay now that i think about it, yes it's underrated but may have done better rated pg-13 or if they'd had a sequel where the bat was the villain and there were more bats

Timing. An American Tail came out in the same year, and that had the hit song and the visual wow factor this movie was lacking.

In hindsight, Great Mouse Detective was the better movie, but An American Tail had more memorable moments.

>forgettable

I like Urusei Yatsura, user.

I read some of them
They were pretty much children's stuff, but not bad
Movie was better

That is NOT lewd. That's nonsense.