This isn't exactly Sup Forums specific, but the thought occured to me after watching Logan today...

This isn't exactly Sup Forums specific, but the thought occured to me after watching Logan today. What is the female equivalent of a beard?
I'm talking about how stories tend to use it on grizzled vet characters to show its their final adventure and they're worn out, like Logan in Logan, or Geralt in The Witcher 3, or Joel in The Last of Us.
Also how it's sometimes used on younger characters after a timeskip to give the same sort of impression. They're depressed and they're at the end of their rope and just want it to be over. Like Noctis in FFXV, or possibly Eren in Attack on Titan depending on how the hobo turns out.

I know women have cutting their hair from long to short to show they're ready for business and action, or taking out their hairclips and letting their hair down to show they're ready to be sexy or more ladylike, but is there a hairstyle or other alteration that signals the sort of thing I'm talking about above with a beard?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_(companion)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What is the female equivalent of a beard?
They're also called beards.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_(companion)

No shaving legs

Not really. Because beards can be rugged or considered sexy while still being signs of age and being tired. There isn't a female equivalent of looking weary that can also be seen as attractive, and because of how women on camera are expected to be for audience appeal whether or not they still look attractive is more important than all other concerns. In many noteworthy cases, its even more important than whether or not they can, you know, act.

split hairs

A big hat.

No makeup

messy hair

The only thing I can think of as being kind of similar is "hair tied up". Like, not necessarily cutting it, but specifically trying back in a way that's very businesslike, specifically for utility rather than aesthetics. That's still not quite what you're referring to, though, I'm not sure there IS a 1:1 equivalent just because there aren't many stories like that featuring women as the main character. There are plenty of female superheroes, but you never see them get old, grizzled and ready for their final adventure.

Smoking

Isn't there a line in the Witcher 3 where Geralt asks why Yennifer is putting on makeup before a big fight and she replies that for her it is like putting on armor since she feels stronger the more beautiful she is.

Witch hair.

Crow's feet and lack of makeup.

In my experience, it's sunglasses and scarfs.

They'll cut their hair short.

This, but not /too/ short.

Here is an example. Old Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. She has had decades of hard abusive life.

No cleavage
Hair is frazzled
Makeup is overdone and messy
Heavy wrinkles around the eyes and jowls

So age is shown by looking fucking old?

This.
Abandoning some/most of their femininity in general is usually the "I've stopped giving a fuck" sign for women.

Messy Hair, short hair, and dirty. Like covered in dirt or mud. Not gross, smelly dirty, like you haven't showered in weeks but like you just went through the shit and came out with just your ass feeling the heat of the explosion you didn't look at.

Age is shown from experience.

Gray hair

That haircut that makes them look taller, don't know how is called, but I'm sure that is.

Vuvalinis.

Hmmm...

The 12 Kingdoms Anime has Youko, who goes from being a spineless highschool girl who wouldn't stand up for others, let alone herself to a fucking *badass* queen who takes a throne some magical unicorn promised her from an usurper. Her outfit and posture became more rugged but the design of her eyes shifts to a more serious, stern look.

Smaller eyes/more mature expressions? In the few instances of western stuff, it's either a change in wardrobe, like they stop caring about their clothes and wear plain/rugged outfits, change their hairstyle, or this.

Big boobies

I fucking hate this trope but this, or at least the one that resembles it the most.

>second image
Trudeau chooses weird things to cosplay.

Alcoholism, smoking, little make up and messy hair.

Tearing off a bit of their skirt. Either horizontally, if they're about to go off and try to seduce somebody or vertically at the hip, if they're going to be doing a shitload of running.

Though that's more like the ripped sleeves or shirt thing that guys do when they're about to be or were just in a really crazy fight.

Crows feet, scars, lines around the eyes and mouth, torn, dirty clothing, always goes commando

I still have a little trouble believing this is the same girl, even though the face on the right has all the same facial moles as on the left (save for the one above her lips). The tip of her nose looks different, too.

>I'm talking about how stories tend to use it on grizzled vet characters to show its their final adventure and they're worn out, like Logan in Logan, or Geralt in The Witcher 3, or Joel in The Last of Us

Women don't have an equivalent because they're not actually achieving anything to be tired or worn out to justify the look. They spend their lives being catered to and pampered and protected by men until men end up looking like that.

Although that does come close. I'd say it's achievable if the women focuses on utility rather than fashion, but that's what men naturally do. And then the utility becomes the fashion.

High and tight?

A Burka. Muslims and jews love beards as status symbols and keep their women in burkas as female status symbols. Both degenerate though

You need to meet a veteran of the house cleaning industries user. It seems you have a sheltered life, I bet your family pays for a maid and never noticed that.

I still think my favourite version of this is the ending of Haywire, when Gina Carano puts her hair in cornrows for no reason other then to show "It's on."

It was such a weird detail.

>retards who have not read the thread

>retard who can't even look at the pic he posts

This is why we can't have actual discussion in this site anymore, 90% of the userbase is now actual idiots.

The nose and the ears keep growing all life, that's why her's looks like it got more witch-like

my first guess is a single braid. whether it consists of all of her hair or a bunch of strands to the side is her choice

Either cut their longer hair shorter or have their hairstyle either in buns, braids, "up dos" etc when previously it went mostly unstyled.

They wear puffy vests, dark sunglasses, visors, tie a hoodie around their waist, and sweatpants. And they watch Korean dramas all day.

im gonna go with chain smoking and heavy drinking... when a female character just doesnt give a shit anymore, old and tired. yep gonna go with that.

>This isn't exactly Sup Forums specific
Then fuck off

Women don't have those kinds of stories, so they don't have an equivalent.

in terms of a more intentional change, they stop wearing any makeup of any kind and it shows, which is borderline unheard of in fiction for non-antagonists.

really short hair.
maybe chapped lips and and hairy armpits

Short hair and scars

>short hair
>camo pants
>combat boots
>maybe a scar

mom haircut and maybe some scars

Everyone did read the OP, that's the answer though. There's nothing else.

Pic related

pink hair and undercut

Pubic hair.

Not even kidding.

This was what I was going to add.