The Death of Action Cartoons

youtube.com/watch?v=eOVgPjDiNoY

What really happened to action cartoons like Samurai Jack, Avatar, and Spectacular Spiderman

If people want action they just stream or torrent some anime online, whenever they want

is he... dare I say it.... the only tolerable cartoon jewtube channel?

Networks got lazy

see
Cartoons in general are far less worth while, financially, than they have ever been, and that value only decreases. The investment required to make 'serious' or action cartoons does not meet the reward. Meanwhile, easy to do surreal or silly gag toons do quite well with children, man children, and pot heads, and take far less investment

Add to this the growing tendency of children and young people to not watch network or even cable television at all beyond a few shows, but rather opt for go anywhere or bite sized entertainment on Youtube or Netflix or other services.

Kids today watch cartoons on tablets or phones, made by smaller indie or third party studios, with little overhead and no required network sponsorship.

Networks won't die out immediately, they still reach huge swaths of population. But traditional television as it's understood is on the slow decline, and will eventually be totally supplanted by digitally delivered media. Saturday Morning cartoons are already dead on most, if not all networks, and programming is instead engineered towards comfort, shock and engagement, or nostalgia.

Cartoons are furthermore less lucrative because their merchandising is less lucrative - physical toys having their space taken by video games or other digital products.

cheaper to just get the licence and dub action anime

All true, though the Netflix Castlevania series shows that there may be a place for some animated binge-watch premium content.

Yeah, this is where the future is for these kind of productions. There's a reason we're seeing so many reboots or projects on these new digital services

There goes my hope for Mouse Guard.

Anime is cheaper to access and better quality

What happened? The 2000s ended, and 2010s postmodernism, where "anything goes, it's just my personal style bro" and lolsorandom humor rules, came into the picture.

>action characters
>Powderpuff Girls

>implying action cartoons died after the 2000's
>Monsuno, Blazing Team, Detentionaire, Redakai: Conquer the Kairu, Sendokai Champions, Sym-Bionic Titan, The Amazing Spiez!, Hero: 108, The Legend of Korra, Max Steel (2013), Thundercats, etc. are all made after the 2000's

>literally who
>see previous
>Canadian toons are always utter shit
>literally who
>see previous
>highly overrated and pretentious garbage
>please tell me this is a sad joke
>see previous
>well you did get the genre right there I guess
>generic trash
>see previous

As I was saying: action cartoons died after the 2000s.

Well, yeah. If it's cheaper to just dub some Japanese shit than actually having to pay animators in the US, then the network producers will go with what's safer. Also the costs of animation has increased over the years.
I think another issue is that in Western media, it's much easier to do a live action story than an animated one. Like, if you want sci-fi cartoons, just go find an anime within said genre. In Western media there is very animated shows that tackle those subjects and that genre seriously, but we have about a dozen billion live action shows that do it. Why would Network producers invest money on a cartoon they don't think will make money for being in a specific genre? Because they think there isn't an audience for it in cartoons.

Still got Trollhunters, a well budgeted, completely serialized show with elaborate worldbuilding and was the highest watched animated series on Netflix.

>Always utter shit
>Implying Jimmy Two-Shoes is bad

Yeah. Reminder that Breadwinners still exists (but is thankfully cancelled) in 2017

and it's from fucking America and comparing a cartoon like this to simply bland Canadian cartoons is fucking insulting

At least Canadian cartoons have their own fucking rules and distinct characters. Breadwinners on the other hand has fucking none.

If you want more action cartoons support Mysticons. It's on Nickelodeon.

What about Winx club?

Nick doesn't care about Winx Club. I'm not even sure if still airs on Nick or Nick jr any more.