Think of a recent female hero

>Think of a recent female hero
>Got it?
>Read the text below and insert her
>“ *Insert Character* is a snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable woman. She’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But she’s also very, very flawed: she’s stubborn. She’s a very strong female character is what I’m trying to say. She brings color to the world"

How accurate is it?

>Jessica Cruz
Almost completely inaccurate, and what self-esteem she now has is the result of character growth.

the words "smart" "competent" and "average" do not describe Gwenpool at all.

Nah.

>recent

>kamala
wewlad

“ *Superman* is a snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable woman. He’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But He’s also very, very flawed: He’s stubborn. He’s a very strong female character is what I’m trying to say. He brings color to the world"

“ *Batman* is a snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable woman. He’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But he’s also very, very flawed: he’s stubborn. He’s a very strong female character is what I’m trying to say. He brings color to the world"
“ *Spiderman* is a snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable man. He’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But he’s also very, very flawed: he’s *insert flaw*. He’s a very strong male character is what I’m trying to say. He brings color to the world"

“ *Rob* is a snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable woman. She’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But she’s also very, very flawed: she’s stubborn. She’s a very strong female character is what I’m trying to say. She brings color to the world"

>batman
>relatable
>color to the world

>supes
>funny
>relatable
>smart

I can't argue with spidey because he was the first "webcomicrelatable-ish-kinda" character we ever got

he was madeto be relatable, until OMD ruined him forever

None.

Cass was too good for comics.

batman is relatable to comic readers since his theme is loneliness, but I can conced that.

Superman though outside of his superhero persona is an average joe, and the whole theme of his character is how he's a down to earth guy despite being space jesus.
And he's a supergenius.
And he's funny too. It's not a central theme of his character but he's not averse to making a joke here and there to lighten the mood.

yeah those may be side traits but for the modern female character creation, things like OP pointed out are their main and maybe only character defining characteristics

>yeah those may be side traits
no, they aren't.
>for the modern female character creation are their main and maybe only character defining characteristics

what are those female characters?
The one i can think of who comes the closer is wonder woman

Laura Kinney as Wolverine

I suppose it's somewhat accurate regarding her current depiction, but I wouldn't say she's snarky and funny.

modern female characters
>squirrel girl, kamala, wasp, gwenpool, ironheart

all marvel characters

maybe OP wanted to point out some of the problems with marvel comics right now

The thing is that Superman isn't relatable at all though. You can argue that Clark Kent is just your normal everyday average Joe, but the comics don't give a shit about Clark Kent. The reason it works for Spider-Man is that Peter's daily life is generally the focus of stories, or at least plays a huge part in them. This is not the case for Clark as most Superman stories are about Superman and not his secret identity. Clark Kent is also a reasonably shallow persona and lacks most of the traits that would make him relatable in the same way Peter is. He doesn't often struggle, get bullied, or be rejected. His ventures always succeed and he isn't really marred by any significant personal tragedy outside of iterations where Pa Kent is dead.

I also don't think Superman is supposed to be funny but I'll concede that there are writers who make him such. Generally I view him as a straight laced boyscout type character (ala Cap) who shouldn't be sarcastic or quippy.

Squirrel Girl isn't modern at all.

but her current despiction fits in the OP's text

Well, the modern version of her dates back to '05 with Slott's GLA, but the point stands that she isn't exactly "new".

>kamala,
kamala is not super competent nor funny, nor especially smart, other traits like always ready to enter a fight, brave and adventurouos are common to basically all superheroes.

>gwenpool
neither super competent nor average nor smart, no particularly brave either, and is ready to run a way from a fight if it even hints at turning sour

suirrel girl is not a modern creation and she was alays intended as a parody

I have no idea about the others

So basically these are all traits lots of superheroes have with only a handful that maybe don't apply or could be argued about, because in order for someone to be a super/hero/ they need to have heroic personality.

Snarky/funny/stubborn are probably the only traits that aren't almost a prerequisite to being a superhero at all, and even those are fairly common traits used in lots of superheroes because funny dialogue is in itself entertaining. "Relatable" is such a nebulous concept that it could be stretched to apply to nearly any character that isn't deliberately made to be alien - even someone like Superman is made down to Earth with his everyman sensibilities and boyscout morality.

>snarky, funny, adventurous, brave, super competent and average, relatable woman. She’s smart, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight! But she’s also very, very flawed: she’s stubborn. She’s a very strong female character is what I’m trying to say. She brings color to the world"

>adventurous brave, always ready to enter a fray, never backs down from a fight!
those eare the basics of superhero characters. Try to find one who doesn't fit those who wasn't meant as a deconstruction or parrody.

>Stubborn
this is also part of the starting pack for superheroes, although its a bit less common than the ones above

>smart

extremely common as well. Even not smart characters will end up being very smart in some form. Although notsmart characters are more common than not stubborn characters.

which is caused by
>super competent

that is a flaw of almost every main character in american media, especially in action movies or tv shows. They always have to be extremely good at far more things than they should honestly know, and have to be shown besting some expert at their own game.

>snarky, funny

2 other very common components of superheroes, although in this case there are also many who don't fit

so essentially it boils down to being relatable, which isn't something new or outrageous, and the 2 most popular superheroes (supes and spidey) have being relatable as part of their character

Damn I think I have been reading to much euro comics as of late, because Aria and Triss do not fit this description.

Raven.
not very accurate

i got gotham girl, not very accurate other then maybe brave

>America Chavez

Gosh, it's almost like people don't normally remember the kind of femchars OP is talking about unless there's something else that makes them interesting, so they don't think of them when thinking of recent female heroes, and this entire exercise is moot because we can more easily think of recent characters that don't fit the description.

Go figure.

>Gwen Poole

That's a pretty big no.

If I take out things that don't fit my narrative, this fits my narrative! What a concept.

>Pulitzer prize winning journalist is not smart
You feel for the "Superman written outside of his own comic" meme.

>Kamala
Kamala is painfully unfunny, makes lots of mistakes, has nearly killed people by mistake on multiple occasions, accidentally killed her first villain, and needs SCIENCE help from her crush and his girlfriend. She is brave and stubborn, but those are defaults for a superhero. You must be at least this neurotic to ride.