Hasbro suing DC over the rights to use the Bumblebee name. Who do you got and why?

Hasbro suing DC over the rights to use the Bumblebee name. Who do you got and why?

variety.com/2017/biz/news/bumblebee-trademark-transformers-dc-comics-warner-bros-1202541577/

Interesting. Think they're gonna start pushing Bumblebee?

how can they believe to own the name of a common animal?

She's in Titans. I have no idea how she is on that DC kids show

Hasbro would have to prove that they not only used the name first but also that people are confusing the two characters and that they have too much in common.

Good luck on that, Hasbro.

>Hasbro says that it began selling Bumblebee toys in 1983, and has been selling building-block toy sets with the Bumblebee brand since 2011. Hasbro touts an online article that ranked Bumblebee fourth on a list of the “Top 25 Transformers.”
>The original Bumblebee character was first introduced in the DC “Teen Titans” comic series in 1977.

I hope this doesn't effect Bumblebee from not getting more toys from DC Superhero Girls. I like that she's finally getting merchandise. She was one of my favorite characters from the old Teen Titans cartoon.

Well, let's get a quick google search going:

DC
>First appearance
>as Karen Beecher: Teen Titans #45 (December 1976)
>as Bumblebee: Teen Titans #48 (June 1977)

Hasbro
>First appearance
The Transformers, Episode #1 (September 17, 1984)

This is like how Apple try to Patent the rectangle.
Cyberpunk is becomong real and Corporations already own my ass and I accept that but come on man, this is literally Nature's design.

Well it's a common insect and DC's Bumblebee predates transformers by about 8 years.

Marvel has a better chance since she a black wasp.

>after defeating hasbro in court dc decides to sue hasbro back and wins
>bumblebee movie is cancelled

It's a bold move, let's how that plays out for Hasbro.
Whoops.

>Bumblebee (DC) 1977
>Bumblebee (Hasbro) 1983
DC should countersue the fuck out of Hasbro.

Bumblebee DC is older and different from Bumblebee Transformers so Hasbro is going lose.

Maybe that's their way out of making it.

When will Marvel sue Capcom over the rights to use the Megaman name?

It's the whole DC vs DC clothing line ahain

Doesn't matter when she debuted if her name wasn't used to market it.

What?

Wrong.

Hasbro can still win the lawsuit. You guys are forgetting how Marvel acquire the trademark Captain Marvel despite the fact that DC/Fawcett's Captain Marvel predate Marvel's Captain Marvel by about 30 years.

Congrats everyone, I'm a legal representative from DC and you're all getting sued for using the term B*mblebee

More like when Whataburger tried to sue DC over the Wonder Woman movie logo

DC has a history of forgetting to trademark shit so I guess we'll see

Hope Hasbro loses. I like Bumblee and she deserves better than what little D.C. Uses her for.

This is an odd one. You would think Marvel would sue over the Wasp comparison instead. This is a stretch

Marvel's not stupid, the big 2 have copied and referenced each other forever.

>I have no idea how she is on that DC kids show
For some reason they chose Bumblebee instead of Vixen

She's going to be in the Lauren Faust reboot too

This is a trademark issue, not a copyright one, so date of usage isn't all that relevant.

That said, it's not a very strong trademark.

So how long till someone calls racism/sexism?

Her being DC's first black heroine is probably not unimportant.

That would open up an unbelievably gigantic can of worms.

Hasbro should've keeped him as Goldbug anyway

I wish they would play nice with each other again.

Right but my point is that's a feasible case (not saying they would win). Here it's Hasbro being petty over a name derived from a common insect. It'd be like if FOX sued Firefox.

Aren't Time Warner capable of hiring more lawyers than Hasbro?

Marvel can't even play nice with itself nowadays, just look how they treat F4 and x-men

blame furman?

The two have so much based off of each other, it would cause a nuclear arms race of lawsuits.

So, Ratchet is gay for Bee?

Why would they want out of making a movie that will make that much money.

I want to see Hasbro lose this one, and then have DC come back and countersue so that Hasbro can't use the Bumblebee name anymore. Not because I particularly care about DC, but rather because TF has the most autistic nutjob fans out there. The idea of them frothing at the mouth over losing the name of one of the most beloved TF's due to Hasbro's sheer greed and stupidity is a once in a decade assblast opportunity.

So how long before faust leaves this one

Company going to sue a black teenage girl

this won't end well.

They are gonna fuck themselves over big time, get ready for hotshot or hotrod to take bees place

American copyright law everybody.

Black heroin killed my brother

yes(?)

08/29/17(Tue)14:34:20

Hypothetically speaking. If DC started spelling it Bumble Bee. Could Hasbro still use?

Wtf is this stupid shit. Every "hexagon" or shape on the wings are five-sided.

Oh shit hasbro what are you doing.

>Hasbro
> >First appearance
>The Transformers, Episode #1 (September 17, 1984)
Marvel The Transformers issue # 1 (May 8, 1984)

Then it would be an actual company war.

Terrifying.

Does it? I mean I like TFs but I've never see anything in the fan base more autistic than any other fandom. But go ahead and correct me. Is it like a continuity thing or idiots fighting over incarnations?

The fact DC keep giving her shrinking powers bothers me. She should not be a Wasp knock-off

Examine their toy collecting community. Willis is one of them. And he's normal in comparison.

It'll help in court I suspect at least. You know DC lawyers will at least bring it up if it goes that far.

The autism is mostly among the collectors I think.
All the ither parts of the fanbase seem fine.

The Bumblebee character has gone by "Goldbug" (since the 80s) and "Goldfire" (just recently).

>but rather because TF has the most autistic nutjob fans out there.
sounds like confirmation bias of being in the group because there are far worse communities out there on all fronts.

You mean like overboard collecting where some have entire rooms full of this shit? I'm guilty of having 2 or 3 on a shelf, do I fall in that category?

A new challenger approaches!

Just happy that Goldbug and the Throttlebots are finally making their reappearance in IDW. It's been a long time coming.

Excep Hasbro is trying to trademark the word "Bumblebee"

They're probably obligated to do this due to some legal thing. It's never going to reach court.

>everyone taking this clickbait at face value
This lawsuit is in fears of losing the trademark in toys and has nothing to do with DC. Mattel has pulled this shit before on Hasbro where they will use a name long enough to snatch away rights from their competitor to ensure maximum profits. Hasbro won't even need to win this one so much as confirm that Superhero girls BB and TF BB are different things, once that's established that will undo any chance of a counter suit and ensure their copyright/trademark on the name Bubblebee goes unchallenged.

It's a trademark case, not copyright. It's the exact same word.

Yes in just toys and sports, they are trying to avoid what happen in 2000 where Mattel snatch exclusive rights to the word Hotrod for about 240 years because copyright and trademark laws are stupid.

I always liked Hot Shot better.

I honestly think ponies are a poor example to use.
Sure there is a lot of autism but they somehow managed to get rid of almost all the social justice warriors.
They have the simultaneously best and worst borru though.

Granted I am a ponyfag myself so like you say I am biased.

I hate what a joke copyright law is.

>but they somehow managed to get rid of almost all the social justice warriors.
they didn't have to do anything, no SJW will associate themselves with horse fuckers. The very stance is a paradox of what they believe.

Not his fault since the classic pretenders used Bumblebee intead of Goldbug.

I don't think so, stuff like spacing and punctuation can change everything. I remember when the Beatles made Help!, they had an issue, because another movie was called Help, but could still go through it because of the exclamation mark

It makes sense to me, they probably don't want to lose any more important names.

It also took them a long time to use the name Bumblebee, too.

My guess is they'll end up having "Autobot Bumblebee" and "DC's Bumblebee" to distinguish the two.

Insurance law is similar too, like that story about the woman having to sue her nephew for breaking her arm during a hug to get them to pay out.

The toyline at the time used Bumblebee again instead of keeping him Goldbug, so Furman had to change it accordingly.

I side with DC because trying to patent the name "Bumblebee is fucking retarded.

Was it this guy?

I'll Bumble your bee.

lol, no it was a little kid like 10 or something

it's a little messier then that otherwise they would just use terms like "Autobot Hotrod" and "Autobot Bumblebee"
yes they lost the rights to bumblebee before
>"Bumblebee" was unavailable to Hasbro for many years. The name was being used as a registered trademark by a company called Playcore for their "Buzz the Bumble Bee" swing as of 2003, and as Hasbro had not used the name for a toy since 1995, their case to contest was likely a weak one. The Heroes of Cybertron PVC two-pack with Spike Witwicky was officially named "Autobot Espionage Team" for that reason, although the bio on the back of the packaging identified the two characters as "Bumblebee" and "Spike". Furthermore, as can be seen on the right, one of the main characters of the Armada franchise was initially intended to be named "Bumblebee" before the unavailability of the trademark resulted in the character being renamed into "Hot Shot". However, in March 2005, Hasbro tried to reclaim the trademark, due to its intended association with a principal character in the big-deal live-action movie and its associated merchandise planned across a great many categories. However, the registration attempt was contested in July 2005, both by a production company named "Bumble Bee Productions, Inc." and by an online toy retailer named "Bumblebee Toys", both of which argued that the mark, as it was filed under the "toys" field, was too close to their own registered marks. Ultimately, Hasbro abandoned the registration attempt for "Bumblebee" in 2006 and simply decided to use the name as a "normal", non-registered trademark instead. The movie's release date being pushed back a year meant that the first "Bumblebee"-branded Transformers toys in over a decade were a 3" Titanium Series figure and a toy from the Classics line. (Playcore, or more accurately, its subsidiary Swing-N-Slide no longer manufactures the "Buzz the Bumble Bee" swingset

This is not greed making them do this, it's fear.

>This is like how Apple try to Patent the rectangle.
Wait seriously?

No your cool as long as they look bad ass.

Whoever thinks they own the concept of "bumblebees" should be fucking executed. Sick of these spoiled rich brats ruining our society with their stupid bullshit. Fuck them.

These Transformers movies got them thinking they can take on WB and steal the name of one of their few black female superheroes? Thats cute.

>all these people not reading the link

>The idea of them frothing at the mouth over losing the name of one of the most beloved TF's due to Hasbro's sheer greed and stupidity is a once in a decade assblast opportunity.

been there, done that

why do you think they keep reusing the names?

You can tell
didn't read the link or even read

>Yes in just toys and sports

You cocksucking little bitch, it's not acceptable for them to trademark a common word in any context. Even "just toys and sports", as though that didn't describe a huge fucking swath of human culture. It's acceptable for them to trademark the word "Bumblebee" in the context of being the name of a robot in a children's action series, anything further is a massive and immoral overreach and I sincerely hope you die for defending them.

Bumblebee's doll don't seem to be selling that well so I hope that don't hurt the case.

what's the saying? "It's easier to complain then to be educated?"

Hasbro because FUCK DC

1. Karen Beecher predates the entire Transformers line by almost a decade so Hasbro has no real case.
2. You shouldn't be allowed to copyright the name Bumblebee because THAT IS JUST THE NAME OF A FUCKING TYPE OF BEE!

Oh I read it I just don't think it is fear motivating them because they've never had an issue with DC over this at all. If DC wanted to be an ass they would have done it three blockbusters ago.