Started watching this. Don't know how to feel. Anyone have any thoughts?

Started watching this. Don't know how to feel. Anyone have any thoughts?

It's fun in an edgy teen way and is one of the most 90's things in existence.

Some of the jokes are pretty good though and it's worth a watch.

I don't like it. Watch Beavis and Butthead instead.

It's a surprisingly good show. A show about counter-culture that criticized a lot of notions. It could never be made today in the same way. Daria would be one of many faceless shills of identity politics and Social Justice, instead of the counter-culture Quasi-nihilist that she was.

If you were able to make Daria today she would harshly criticize the left while simultaneously making fun of the right for electing a guy like Trup.

Damn, it would be refreshing to have that.

I re-watched my DVD collection about two times now. It still feels weird not hearing the audio ques before the commercial break like when it was on MTV. I understand its about copyrights and royalties so I got over it fast. I felt like I was the only dude in school when this aired that watched it.

Anyone else old enough to had watched it when it aired and not just re-airings on Nogin or the DVD collection? I'd like to know if other men watched it to.

Jane Lane best girl, and Kevin is a putz.

I... basically agree with user here, and at the time it came out, yeah: It spoke out against the same 'values' MTV at the time basically upheld.

However, while I love this show to pieces, it kinda got a little unglued by the end. "Is It Fall yet?" wraps up a number of the shows plots up to that point and (most of) the characters grow by its conclusion and the fifth season just kinda meanders until the *really* good series finale "Boxing Daria." The subsequent second movie is... ehhh.

I don't hate it, but to justify it, I have to go "Well, 'Boxing Daria' is the conclusion of Daria's personal journey. 'Is it College Yet?' is a conclusion for the rest of the cast as a sort of epilogue.

To be honest that's what I do now. The effect is either everyone thinks I'm on their side (which is most often wrong), or people think I am against them (which is also wrong) and hate me as a result. It's especially fun at family reunions, as I'm sure you'd guess.

>Anyone else old enough to had watched it when it aired and not just re-airings on Nogin or the DVD collection? I'd like to know if other men watched it to.

I'm old enough, and yes, we did.

Had a pounding crush on Jane. So damn smart and take-no-prisoners.

>Well, 'Boxing Daria' is the conclusion of Daria's personal journey.
This. It's so rare to see an episode like this in any series, cartoon or otherwise, where the MC is faced with the fact that they might've fucked up other people's lives because of their actions.

I did like what the two movies, as well as a few episodes in the last season, with regard to what they did with Daria's relationship with Quinn. I love the fact that Daria comes to realize that Quinn isn't stupid, she's just kinda the opposite of Daria. Where Daria, when faced with the possibility of being ostracized for her intelligence, chose to become anti-social, Quinn chose the other side, pretending to be a nit-wit.

One of my favorite lines is probably the best compliment Daria gives Quinn when she asks her: "Why should you go out of your way to protect the stupid? You're not one of them."

I watched it while it aired originally. I still remember the all day marathon around the Is it fall yet movie. Stayed up all night watching it. Also recorded it on vhs since I knew it was probably not going to be airing as often after the finally. I started watching because it was a Beavis & Butthead spinoff but kept watching because it was a good show.

Season one and Season two, aside from one or two episodes, is God Tier 90s core teen drama deconstruction

Season three has moments but also more bad episodes that good episodes

Season four is where the rot comes in as they introduce and set up a love triangle, but still some decent episodes

Season five is pretty much shit city save for one-two episodes, with two episodes in particular being amongst the worst of the series in terms of the show shitting on two long burning storylines for the lulz.

I watched it when it originally aired. I have the entire series in real media format with all of the original music and shit too.

The show basically was a product of it's age, the pre-irony goes mainstream 90s era which was annihilated with the events of September 11th. As said, the show could never be made today and have the same impact because, as said, it's a product of a very specific point in time that is as far away today as the 1950s was to people in the 90s

What episodes are you talking about, in season five being worst ever?

>it's a product of a very specific point in time that is as far away today as the 1950s was to people in the 90s
It may sound strange, but it actually never occurred to me that the twenty-teens are as ideologically and culturally far away from the 90s as the 90s were from the 50s.

>have any thoughts?

My thoughts is that you should come up with your own opinion about such a great show.

Fizz Ed and the Fat Sandy episode

Fizz Ed should have been the final showdown episode between Daria and Ms Li but it became one huge castration fest with Daria being utterly weak and helpless and unable to do a thing to stop Li while everyone yelling at Daria that she just complains and does nothing

Fat Sandy episode should have been the episode where the Fashion Club fully explodes and we get Sandy vs Quinn at long last, but not only does it not happen (due to Sandy manipulating Sandy to resign from the club with her) but they have Daria and Jane mocking fans in the background over how the club will never finally self-destruct due to infighting

>harshly criticize the left

liberals are not leftists, user. corporate democrats (capitalists) cheated against sanders who would have beaten trump.

i wasn't able to watch it in the 90s because i wasn't aware it existed, but i caught a few episodes in the very early 2000s and yeah i was probably the only guy in my school that watched it.

Yeah; back in the late 90s, conformity was everything (especially in teen dramas/shows where everyone was part of the beautiful people, even shows like Buffy fell into that trap) and since it was pre-911, everyone thought the future was going to be great and being a non-conformist meant something back then in terms of rebelling.

It's a great cartoon. It has several good things about it.

It's a great example of the 90s, it just has that vibe that can give anyone that was alive at the time some nostalgia.

It's also a great example of how to do stereotypes correctly. It has a dumb jock and dumb cheerleader, but they're both way more complex than JUST that, and even though they can be seen as "antagonists" (as much as SOL has those) they show they can be good people. It's not cardboard cutout characters, something modern cartoons fall for completely. Like, Loud House has Leni Loud, quite literally the entire character can be boiled down to "dumb as shit". Literally 99% of Leni's actions are "haha, she's an idiot" jokes. Compare that with Brittany from Daria, who has a LOT more character traits: She's book-dumb, but she's also prone to violence, and tries to maintain popularity, but is willing to help out less popular people sometimes.

It has a lot of good jokes, and in general good drama when it has it.

Anybody suggest a site where to watch it? I can't manage to find a decent site for the episodes.

torrent it, super easy to find.

To be honest, while I think it's bullshit that Ms. Li was allowed to come back at all, the plight Daria found herself in felt real in the way everyone came at her sideways (if not outright talking down to her) for pointing out what she found to be corporate shilling invading a place of learning. The school--not just the totalitarian bitch running the place--was making money off of the enterprise and you have the superintendent calmly denying anything was wrong with the set up and the corporate guy himself pressured Li into meeting bullshit quotas that didn't reflect the realty of the "market".

Personally in season 5 I wasn't fond of the one where Tom came to dinner at Daria's place and it ended with go karts? The episode where she awkwardly opts out of having sex just felt rather weird... like I felt it an invasion of the characters privacy for some reason.

For what it's worth, Fizz Ed was part of season five's arc of basically tearing down Daria and calling out the fact that she's a bad person.

S1-2 Daria was Mary Sue level Anonymous troll who could carry out elaborate plots to stop Ms Li. In S5, they basically decided to ignore all that and make Daria more or less a normal girl and have characters call her out on just complaining and not doing anything.

But that was where the whole thing fell apart, in that by nerfing Daria, they basically negated the entire point they were trying to make. It would have been like if Cartman did nothing in PC Principals' debut episode and everyone outright ignoring the fact that Cartman is a master planner. Granted, Parker and Stone had PC Principal beat Cartman to an inch of his life, but at least that provided a tacit reason for why Cartman could not just end the season arc against PC Principal then and there. Daria didn't even get THAT luxury to explain why she was not able or willing to do what was necessary that she had shown time and time again, she was able to do, to stop Li and the soda people.

Daria made being the NEET character cute before Tomoko did. That is probably why I adore this manga.

Daria did it first.

This If you still have a Demonoid account, or invite password. Its always in that community.