Rumor: Joker origin movie will be "super dark and real," Joker will be a victim of bullying

>The all-new origin story is believed to take place in the 1980s, and be “a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film”. As is usually the case with rumors, a new one recently lined up with this assessment, and also managed to tease a look far back into Joker’s past.
>"It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”

screenrant.com/joker-origin-movie-rumor-dark-child-bully/

I don't like the sound of that

>It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker

woah

That doesn't sound funny

Meanwhile faggots complain about Hellboy casting

>It’s super dark and real.

There it is.

...why do Hollywood films always have to have villains have something be the cause of their behavior? Why not have a character who is naturally a dick. Like the Joker pushed someone in front of a subway train when nobody was around because he had the urge to do so?

>"It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him
Why not just make an adaption of the man who laughs instead you dumb fucks

>"It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.
Everything about that sentence gives me a stomach ulcer
I can't believe this is actually happening.

Do Jokerfags and normies actually want this or are they as sick of the character as everyone else ?

Why the fuck do they have to give characters shitty origins?
>Hurrr lets give this character an origin

10 times out of 10 if fucks up that character.
The Joker
The Major
Wolverine even Malficient

All their pasts were left mostly ambiguous , giving maybe some tidbits here and there that added a sense of mystery to the character making them more interesting. Then some fuck comes along and gives them some shitty definitive origin and it shits up the character until they decide to retcon it or some shit. Just fucking stop.

Okay since this thread is just going to be filled with rage and dissapointment for 100+ replies let's try something different

If you had to make a solo movie based on a Batman rogue, who would you choose ?
How would you do it ?
Do any of them even deserve it ?

Let's post and debate ideas that, regardless of how terrible they are, would be better than this movie we are getting.

>I can't believe this is actually happening.
Really? Hasn't WB shown enough times they have no idea what the fuck they're doing in regards to their DC films?

Because 'I'm evil nyah mwahahaha' is not really a solid way to write an interesting villain in the modern day. However if you enjoy those, there are hundreds of movies and shows from the 80s where they embrace that kind of two dimensional villainy.

>I can't believe this is actually happening.
Welcome to the nerd age of cinema! Every property will be mined to death! The Han Solo movie will probably explore the Kessel run! We'll get a Black Widow film explaining what happened in Buddapest! FUCK, WE'RE ACTUALLY GETTING A WILLY WONKA PREQUEL TO SET UP A WILLY WONKA FRANCHISE! I SHIT YOU NOT, THAT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING! Ryan Gosling is interested in it.

Bullies are the true heroes of society. They mark out those that are likely to turn to corruption and expose these cretins for what they are before they claim society has "wronged" them. I applaud the efforts of those willing to turn to pre-emptive oppression in order to root out the most probable suspects expected to act out. Wicked people with malevolent intentions must be routed out at all costs, even if it means resorting to bullying.

Clayface
Two face
Maybe freeze?

I'd choose the Suicide Squad, directed by Edgar Wright

>It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn.
New meme phrase detected.

IT'S

The reason origins keep happening is because it makes normies feel clever.
>>Origin film shows how a specific trait of the character is form
>>General movie goer "Oh I get it now! That's really clever!"
That's it. It's a way to do minimum effort into creating films and get people to flock in because they "need" to understand why things are the way they are in the films.

She's still a bitch for smirking at his dick

A Seinfeldian comedy about daily life in Arkham, with maybe a plan to just out if it needs more structure. Dent is the viewpoint audience surrogate and the "straight man until pushed too far" character. The Joker is constantly alluded to but does not ever actually show up.

It's something I could actually see getting made, and with enough miracles something that might get a few chuckles on a first viewing.

>If you had to make a solo movie based on a Batman rogue, who would you choose ?
>How would you do it ?
>Do any of them even deserve it ?
-Mad Love with Joker and Harley
-Bane's origin in Santa Prisca
-Two Face or Clayface (and handle them like the TAS multipart origins)

I just thought that we had hit rock bottom already and the respective critical failures of Skwad and BvS (don't even try to start an argument Snyderfags that 27% ain't getting any higher) had taught them to at least slow the fuck down and rethink their business strategy, especially since JL is getting reshoots.

Don't remind me.

>>In 10 years, we'll get a Kingsman prequel about how Colin Firth joined Kingsman
>>In 10 years, we'll have a Snowpiercer film to show us how everyone got on the train
>>In 10 years, we'll have a Mad Max film to show how the world is destroyed.

>Rumor

So complete made up shit

60s batman

Bane. A little boy sent to hell on earth, growing up cold, hardened, haunted by the bat nightmares. Supporting characters being Bird and Zombie, the story of a prisoner who became king, a man who would break a legend. Ending with his journey towards Gotham

>the new Joker's scars will be purely emotional

beautiful

A Penguin movie loosely adapting Snow and Ice, Penguin Triumphant, Pain and Prejudice and the Birds Of A Feather episode from TAS.
Penguin "dies" and we follow Batman going around asking people about the convoluted and troubled life of Oswald Cobblepot, as we get to watch him through the eyes of his goons, his victims, his aunt, the other rogues, and so on.
Except of course he didn't really die and is just planning his return, although along the way he starts to consider abandoning Gotham and wondering if it's worth to even come back at all.

So basically it's Citizen Kane + Frankenstein starring Oswald Cobblepot.

>filename
I fucking heard it.

You know that there are people in real life that are like that, right? Three dimensional people who are simply evil because?

You're an idiot

The War of Jokes and Riddles.
Shocking, I know.
They ruined Riddler's character for it to happen.

Seriously, King's Nigma is garbage

>Mom, the kids at school keep making fun of my permagrin. They even call me the Joker. What do I do?
>Oh Jack. You can't let a couple of bullies make you think any less of yourself. If you apply yourself at school, you'll be miles ahead of them when you become a grown-up. You'll pass them up easilly.
>Thanks Mom. You're right. (Aside) I will pass them up easilly. And when I do, I'll track each and every one of them down and carve a smile into their face after slowly killing their loved ones in front of them. And they're last words will be begging for mercy from the Joker.

Is this the non Leto Joker movie? Because they are still doing the Harley and Joker movie with Leto in it, which begs the question....are they doing the "Three Jokers" thing in the DCEU?

The Joker origin movie done by the Hangover guy doesn't take place in the DCEU.

>Joker will be a victim of bullying

>psychopaths don't exist in real life

>"Hey, Napier, wanna' go to the dance with me?"

>"I sure do, Stacy!"

>"Oh, you thought I was serious? Poor thing... NOT! Oh, come on, Napier, I thought a guy like you would be able to take a JOKE!"

>Chads and Stacys laugh.

The thing that annoys me about this isn't the fact that they're making Joker dark and edgy, but they're announcing it like they're the first ones to ever attempt it.

I think at this point they're letting anybody do anything and whatever actually does well with audiences becomes the basis for the post-crisis cinematic universe

Mr. Freeze.
This
and this
and this

>"Yo, Napier, smile if you're gay!"

>"I'm not gay!"

>"Then why are you smiling, fag? LOL!"

>"REEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

The chad's name: Bruce Wayne.

Freeze
But I want that tragic backstory Freeze and not that lunatic stalker Freeze who never was married... that was bullshit.

What do you guys think of The Killing Joke Joker origin?

For me it's the closest to how I'd ever want to see a Joker origin story, but I still don't think he should have one.

are they fucking serious?

top laugh

>Willy Wonka prequel
Fuck, if they wanted to make more Willy Wonka movies, there's a whole fucking other book that they could adapt! Don't make an original story when Roald Dahl is dead!

I'm starting to hate the Joker character.

>starting

Okay, I want everyone to do something. I want everyone to put their heads together for this one.

Is there any example

ANY EXAMPLE AT ALL

Of a prequel movie made with the intent to explain a character that was actually good?

I'm really, REALLY trying to come up with something, but I've got zilch.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Fuck you. I liked it.

>starting

The Riddler, basically the Usual Suspects.

Ironically, it's the success of Suicide Squad that is giving us this film in the first place (assuming it actually happens, WB announces way more films than they make). Pretty much all of their announced films from a few years back are canned or heavily retooled. I'm pretty sure once Flashpoint hits, we'll only be getting Batcentric movies for a good long while.

Gone the damn way of the animated movies.

It's as good as any.

The thing FUCKING NOBODY seems to get, though, is nobody actually cares about origin stories. This goes double for The Joker.

The Dark Knight got this aspect of him 100% right, when he told a different origin story every time. It doesn't matter where The Joker came from. Literally any story will do. The important thing is he's here now.

>explaining the Jokers origin

No. Mistake. Cease, this very instance. There is one, ONE, SINGULLARR way to do this that isn't completely shit, and it's obvious you aren't going to do it that way. The Joker only works when you don't know his origin. When he could be anyone. When he's darkly funny, not funnily dark.

The only proper way to do this is in the style of "I Almost Got Him." You have a bunch of flunks around a poker table, maybe Batman's villains even. And they talk about all the origins they've heard/believe for the Joker.

Harley thinks he was abused as a child and her puddins really just a good tortured soul

Ivy think's he's a piece of shit criminal who got dosed with chemicals, because that reflects her own origin, and because she wants to chew on Harley's daffodil

Copplepot think's he's a failed comedian who couldn't hack it, because Copplepot always projects failure onto others due to his inferiority complex

Two-Face think's he's just some random guy who lost it one day, because inherent chaos and chance is what Two-Face believes in.

Also, this works better as a mini-series than a movie. The beginning and end of each episode is a cut away to the actual Joker, doing something crazy across town, eventually getting foiled by Batman and escaping

At the end of it, Joker shows up at the card game and says "Deal me in, I've got a story to tell," with a shit eating grin.

This is how you have to do it. You never confirm or deny anything about the Joker. Except that he's Lonnie Machin's biological father.

Chimes At Midnight, technically speaking (it's Orson Welles retelling Henry IV from the perspective of Falstaff, the mostly bumbling sidekick)
I'd even call it the best movie of his career and he certainly thought of it as much.

I thought of it before you specified movie, but I like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad. For movies it is a little harder. Does something like First Class count or does it have to be a character specific prequel?

goddamn i wanna see this so bad

>Except that he's Lonnie Machin's biological father
Goddamn, you just had to ruin a good post.

>Ivy think's he's a piece of shit criminal who got dosed with chemicals, because that reflects her own origin, and because she wants to chew on Harley's daffodil
>Copplepot think's he's a failed comedian who couldn't hack it, because Copplepot always projects failure onto others due to his inferiority complex
>Two-Face think's he's just some random guy who lost it one day, because inherent chaos and chance is what Two-Face believes in.

I'd just like to commend out because this is not only a great idea but all of these are perfectly in-character.
This is quite possibly the only instance in which I'd approve of a movie about the Joker's origins.

I think the Planet of the Apes trilogy counts?

Couldn't resist

The best part to me is that they're all previously given examples of who the Joker is, in comics and films. So they're all 'canon' stories, in that regard.

Mr. Freeze.

Just make Heart of Ice into a film.

the movie industry is a cluster fuck of god damn comic book movies

I LOVE superhero/villain origin stories... But The Joker is not really a supervillain. It's super cliche and stupid to say, but I always considered him the agent of some elemental yet clownish concept of chaos. In that way, he's the perfect contrast to Batman's elemental yet grimdark concept of order.

He's much more interesting as an inhuman force, something elusive that could slip through your fingers at any moment and disappear into the night, only to return when you least expect it. To humanize him is a misstep, imho

>Screenrant

Um... there already is a Batman villain who was bullied as a kid for looking different.

I think I like this even better than the Rogues talking about Batman and making up his origins because, while we know they are off mark because we know Batman's origins, for the Joker, they could all be right.

Even if Killer Croc makes up some dumb story about how Joker is secretly a chaos god made to haunt Gotham, he would still be as close to the real answer as the other rogues. And this doesn't just open scenarios for crazy reinterpretations of Joker's origin, or inserting nods to alternate universe takes, but it also explores the rogues telling them.
It practically writes itself

Who the heck would have the guts to bully a human crocodile in grade school?

>a Batman villain who was bullied as a kid for
You mean Penguin ? Or Scarecrow ? Or Riddler ?

Don't nearly all of the Bat rogues have some kind of bullying backstory ?

>Even if Killer Croc makes up some dumb story about how Joker is secretly a chaos god made to haunt Gotham

Given some of the comicbook backgrounds we see for Gotham, and the fact that it's basically a hellmouth, this could also be true.

Knight, the british version of Batman, is himself a legacy of a long existing heroic chain that's been fighting the same villain, Spring Heel Jack, who is sort of a Joker analogue (aside from the actual The Joker (british), who met the real Joker and they didn't like each other) for years. Springheel Jack is literally a supernatural force and comes back every time he dies

This is really the only sensible way to explain how Joker is not dead, to be honest. Croc's explanation might be the most accurate.

Velma apparently.

Croc has probably seen some SHIT out in slaughter swamp/the sewers of gotham

Little Dude was pretty fucking swole too, wonder why he didn't fight back

>take place in the 1980s
the 80s is my favorite era.

That's the gayest shit I've ever heard in my fucking life. Stop making superhero movies.
Stop making superhero movies.
Stop making superhero movies.

>starting

>"It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”
I want this to be real just to see the shitstorm is going to cause

Oddly, I'd choose Joker because there is a lot you can do with the character. I'd make it as dark and as fucked up as possible though, and not in the edgy way. The way's he'd kill people would be just for laughs for himself and demented gags. Joker would be torturing people for funzies.

Joker would be telling multiple stories of how he came to be too, none of this definitive shit. It'd be about him terrorizing Gothan to it's core, just for funzies.

>>"It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”

They've actually managed to come up with an idea that insults everybody, even bullies.

What's the message supposed to be? "Watch who you bully—you might turn them into a psychopath"?
Alternately: "being bullied excuses your becoming a psychopath"? (Well, that would explain Sup Forums, but not real life...)

When you're bullied by Velma, you know you've gone too far.

And sometimes that fuck is the character's creator. Though in Harris' defense it was forced on him by the greedy Hollywood execs.

Killer Croc.
You know that episode of Batman TAS where Killer Croc gets taken in by an old school freak show and finds a modicum of peace because he's finally among people like him but can't resist the urge to go back to being a criminal?
You can stretch that over two hours.
Or maybe the Joker's Asylum Killer Croc thing where he falls in love with a married woman and she uses him as a leg breaker.

Mistery/detective movie with Clayface and Riddler

>You can stretch that over two hours.
I'm trying to imagine it and all I'm getting is a really weird adaption of Edward Scissorhands

>comic books? what are we, faggots? just make him bullied

you say that like it's a bad thing user. waylon crochands sounds great to me

sweet christ warner is almost as bad as sony

I'm not sure I could handle a world where killler croc is a hot topic tween sex icon alongside the vampire lestat and halloween town sora

>victim of bullying
Maybe it will be so bad, Joker's popularity will finally get under control.

No, you literal morons. They are "evil" because of the environment they grew up in, of the way they were brought up, of the things they grew to perceive as natural. Hollywood does indeed do a shitty job at showcasing this, trying to go beyond black-and-white morality yet at the same time staying in its limits (there always has to be some sort of a bully or other clear and easily perceptable evil), what you suggest is not any better. Making villains crybaby bitches does not give them depth, but neither does making them "evil just because", it only shows lack of understanding of psychology on your sie.

>People are upset with the latest Joker
>Damn it. Make his stand alone movie darker to compensate
>But sir
>DARKER. WE'RE TALKING A 10 ON THE NOLAN SCALE. I WANT DARK, AND I WANT GRITTY. I WANT THIS MOVIE TO BE PROJECTED ON SANDPAPER THEATER SCREENS. I WANT THE BIG REVEAL TO BE HIS NAME WAS GACY, AND I WANT IT RUSHED THROUGH PRODUCTION WITH 20 WRITERS. GO!

>croc brings up the bottomless hole in all things and gotham's curse