Cerebus

Reminder that Cerebus is the best comic ever.

Just spent the last half hour skimming through a few of the phonebooks and yes, purely on an aesthetic level, it's pretty fucking untouchable. It aspires to a level of art and literature that few if any comics ever come close to, in trying to grapple with history, art, government, God, pop culture, high culture, sex and power. Whether you agree with Dave Sim's worldview or not, Cerebus belongs near the very top of the list of great comics, (for his lettering alone!).

And then you reread torah analysis part.

Cerebus is some of the best and worst comics ever written. It's amazing, and terrible, sometimes at the same time.

What do you think of Cerebus in Hell and beyond?

Cerberus is fucking phenomenal all the way through Jaka's Story and even then it doesn't really start to fully suck until the last third (and by that time the plots that matter have been tied up).

Feels weird that the incel/MRA community on Sup Forums hasn't started to defend the last parts of Cerberus yet.

What exactly happened in the final stretch that was so MRA/redpill?

Basically Sim developed a fairly elaborate set of ideas about how the women and femininity were awful, and overtime it began to pretty heavily bleed into parts of his work.

Someone here wrote a really good summary of Sims views on women which I really regret not screencaping. I don't suppose anyone else knows what I'm talking about?

The author has schizophrenia, and he developed his own religion which believes that women belong in the kitchen and not outside the home, gays belong in the closet and might still go to hell depending on whether they're thinking good thoughts or bad thoughts when they masturbate, and animals don't belong in the home because it's a slippery slope which leads to treating animals like people and thus the collapse of all civilization.

He spent too much of the comic explaining his religious beliefs (specifically about women, with the other stuff being essays in the back) instead of just continuing the story.

It's a good comic. I wish Sup Forums cared about comics that are important/influential in the real world instead of just about comics that are important/influential to fictional worlds.

>edgy furfag comic
Fuck off

I always thought the stylistic evolution of Cerebus himself wasn't great. He looks his best in a few of the very early issues when Sim put some extra effort in occasionally. The way the medallions just became these abstracted buttons on his torso was awful, as was attempting to give him proper anatomy.

Literally books worth of straight text defining how women drain and kill men and are horrific creatures that must be kept at arm's length for their own sake.

Reading Deni's writing and Dave's shows pretty quickly that Dave is way too into himself (No shit) and doesn't recognize that he isn't the only party taking on burdens.

It honestly seems like, on a subconscious level, Dave recognizes that he's full of shit. He's a good guy at heart, doesn't actually spew hate at real people so much as flush it out through his comics, and even in the very depths of his "women are horrible" mantra he was still writing a story that reads as all people being equally flawed, some men being sexist towards women, and forgiveness overcoming your sins. He doesn't agree with that, but that's how the book reads outside of his mad ramblings.

>incel/MRA
>having anything whatsoever to do with each other
>having anything to do with Sup Forums
what?

Did you know that the government made AIDS to kill people?

>both are full of pathetic bastards looking to shitpost about anything/everything especially women of course
>implying Sup Forums doesn't have its equal share of Sup Forums and /r9k/ runoff
Its still a tentative statement ill agree but i can see what he's trying to get at.
And the answer is those people are casuals that havent read cerebus.

Rick went to Hell.
Prove me wrong.

Who's more fascinating?
Dave Sim or CWC?

Dave said that Rick was the most decent guy in the comic

Dave says a lot of things.

Agreed, his lettering game was on fucking point. And that Mort Drucker-esque drawing style...damn, beautiful cartooning. You get the "pure" cartooning from Sim and the "pretty pictures"/illustratorly-stuff from Gerhard. Although I wouldn't say it's the best ever because of the fall-off after, I think, volume six? Well, not fall-off, just crazy text/comic based formalism that doesn't quite work. IMHO. Someone posted the famous TCJ Top 100 comics Ever list and Cerebus' omission was laughable, we all know why that was, though.....

There's no hard point where Cerebus actually goes full nosedive, which is part of what's awful about it. Even in the 200s there are good issues.

It is shit.

>copypaste, the comic
We nearly had 100 issues of garbage writing held up by the art. I'm not interested in yet more writing with no art.