Why does the stereotype that women don't like comics exist?

Why does the stereotype that women don't like comics exist?

Places like this don't exactly help.

SKELEBONES

I get your point, it make no sense

I see women in the comic shop pretty much every time I go there. And it's no secret that they write and draw comic books as well

this is a good question

I know somebody is gonna REEEEE if I say this, but I assume it has something to do with sexism

Look at those impossible proportions. Why are artists always so bad about drawing women? I can't even.

The kinds of stories in comic books by and large appeal to guys first and foremost (although not exclusively). Something like manga appeals to girls more(generally speaking) because it does have more themes that appeals to femininity and female sensibilities, not that that's all women want or all you need to have a story be liked by women. I think the biggest problem is the fact that they are these large universes bogged down with so many decades of canon which rely on previous generation's tastes considering no good new exciting characters or stories are being told.

I feel like a lot of the superficial reasons for liking the most popular comic book characters are lost on women, and that matters because the western comic industry revolves around characters not the creators/artists behind them

Because women don't like comics.

>The kinds of stories in comic books by and large appeal to guys first and foremost
comics are basically soap opera bullshit.

I mean, it has a lot more to do with tastes changing from one generation to the next if you ask me. Manga is generally more popular with women and look at the kinds of stories which are appealing to them, you don't usually get that stuff in superhero comics. Of course there's nothing preventing women from liking comic books/super heroes and there are tons that do

Women are a small demographic in the comic community thats it, realisticly they makeup like 28% of comic book readers.Bullshit shoved out by Marvel in desperate attempts to bring more women into comic says 42% at best.

Women don't like stuff as much as guys like certain stuff and vise versa.

(Personally I think that 42 percent shit from Marvel is of women who watched the movies and are 'totally comic book fans')

Only in the sense that they're serialized drama. They generally lack the emotional dimensions that resonate more with women

Because people speak in generalities, and pausing to acknowledge every minority in a group or demo only happens when it's profitable to do so.

>Something like manga appeals to girls more(generally speaking)

Citations or numbers needed, because I doubt that highly.

My LCS is actually run by a woman.

Hello 1991.

This is 10/10 in Gal Gadot universe

Built for sex.

Because the stereotype that everyone who reads comics is a repulsive male permavirgin exists.

*blocks your path*

Nerds love excuses

Look at fanart accounts on twitter and their followers, go to anime/manga conventions, college functions and shit

I never said anything about women not liking comics, just that they're a smaller contingency than men in the medium and listed some reasons why i think it appeals to them less; mostly because it has catered to them less for so long. But yeah I've met plenty of women who are into comics

This is why comics are shit now.. bitches need to leave the comic stores and go back to the kitchen.

I dont get it either. Yeah, there are retarded staicies that think comics are inherently icky, but my friends and I all enjoy em. I mean 4 isn't a big sample size but still, I assume the ratio is similar for guys and girls

That's disgusting.

Because the most visible women to average comic fans are patreon whores like Nigri, who by all accounts don't care about the source material. And remember that being nerdy only became hip recently, prior to that most women hid their powerlevel.

Oof

American detected

Because if they truly loved the medium they wouldn't fight tooth and nail to change the industry.

>you cant like something and still want to change it

> male comic fans don't bitch and moan at all
Do you live under a rock, man?

t.bitter hambeast

There's a pretty long lag-time between how fast a society changes and how long it takes people to realize that society has changed. Action oriented comics used to be an extremely male dominated medium. There were still women buying/writing a few niche relationship oriented comics, but that was a much smaller market. Nowadays, things are much more balanced, but some people still don't see the change.

The stereotype is kept alive, in very small part, by men/boys who don't want overt overtures to women inserted into the comics that they read (i.e. "You think I can't be strong because I'm a girl! I'll show you! *gurl-power commences. misogynist villain defeated*). But a much larger force keeping this stereotype going is people using it to exaggerate the persecution of female creators and female readers.

The difference is that men want better comics, while women want to men to see them in better light.

> men don't complain
> w-well, they do but it's different!
How can you even read comics if you're this retarded?

sauce?

No, that's the retards running marvel. I just want good comics

>men want better comics
/co certainly doesn't cause it supports shit books and just wants the same superhero shit.

Karlie Kloss

>skeletons earlier and earlier every year
IT'S NOT EVEN SEPTEMBER

Fag

Kek

THEY ARE COMING!

I didn't have a single clue that this stereotype even existed before you pointed it out OP

And yeah has it right. I see girls and women read/write comics all the time.

The Big Bang Theory.
I'm not even part of the TBBT hate squad, but it's something that's often said on that show, and a lot of people believe it.

Comics are a niche medium, and have been for decades.
Their primary demographic has always been men.
Of those men the most visible have been ugly nerds.
Leading to the stereotype only ugly nerds read comics.
Since only ugly nerds read comics, girls obviously aren't reading them.

Jesus Christ, that skeleton stole someone's skin!

Is she operating on about 3% bodyfat?

yes

because they make up

Women don't read things with emotional dimensions.
They read mid-range smut.

We better apologize to JSC

Because the most mainstream comics are superhero comics shit and most women aren't into them.

Women actually do like comics, just not cape comics. Since the States does not really have non-cape comics, you really have a hard time finding a women who reads comics in the States.

based

Nobody likes comics

Yeesh

The tons of women who read Sandman and other Vertigo stuff would disagree.

Can I choose how I die?

Sandman is midrange stuff for teenagers and young adults.

Tell us more.

Because girls at large bully and shun nerdy guys who'd like comics

>tfw no tall skinny gf

Women are biologically only inclined to like Chad. EVERYTHING a woman enjoys doing is for Chad. Chads generally don't read comics so women don't like comics.

>being this delusional

>gets bullied once in the third grade
>MOST GIRLS-

>diesel dyke
Kek

I share your pain, friend.

It's not smut, and it has plenty of emotional dimensions. Most men read cape stuff, which is for even younger teens, so what's your point?

>Anecdotal evidence
K

oh look jock boyfriend user is reading miracleman.

KILL THE FREAK JOCK BOYFRIEND KILL HIM FOR BEING DIFFERENT.

woman don't read comics, they have begun a pattern of infiltrating and fucking shit up that men pay more attention to than them

>Meet woman who says she loves comics at work.
>Oh, cool, I'm a huge comic reader, as well. I'm the stores comic expert, actually.
>What characters do you like right now?
>Harley Quinn and Female Thor!
>Oh, cool, what's your favorite Harley story? She's been getting pushed really hard by DC as of late.
>Oh, I only saw the movie, I don't read comics.
>You should buy some trades since you have a discount a great discount here. They have a lot of good Harley stuff.
>No, it's cool; I read her wiki and keep tabs on it.
Usually what you see but sometimes.

>Girlfriend says she likes comics after seeing all my trades.
>Have a good laugh since I've never seen her take an interest in comics at all, or books in general. She's the type of woman who loves to cook and do yoga.
>Go over to her apartment one day, after always going to mine.
>She has a book case with stuff on it, some comics like Blankets, Walking Dead, The Arrival, Persepolis, etc.
>Actually does indeed like comics, but doesn't know what else to read since she bought these on impulse.
>Been together 5 years now, known her for 16.
Feels good.

The most visible genre in comics is capes which mostly appeals to teenage boys and is notoriously hard to get into. There is a lot of good indie stuff that would appeal to a lot of women but nobody knows about it who isn't into comics already. It's a niche in an already niche hobby.

They go there to buy funco pops you idiot.

Most of them don't though. The answer probably has something to do with gender roles and the low expectation for women to have "male-driven" hobbies, but the fact of the matter is it still persists

In all honesty I think more girls today like anime than they do western comics. Considering the ratio of prominent female writers/artists in Japan to America, it makes sense

From media trying to tell women that comics are a male dominated hobby. Now that they've tried to switch directions it's a little confusing.

I supposed it started back when the comics code kicked in and the moral busybodies tried to scare parents. Girls being the most delicate of flowers were probably first to go, but it turned around a whole ago with manga being a door to all kinds of comics.

Now we have them desperately trying to appeal to women that probably already read comics with poorly written and draw garbage like America. While some male fans act like raging loons in reaction to some enemy they think is trying to keep them from fapping to drawings.

Makes the whole thing quite the turbulent hobby to navigate. I gues sunless you avoid the internet. Then you can read what you want without commentary.

>Considering the ratio of prominent female writers/artists in Japan to America, it makes sense

I think it's more of a self-feeding thing. I only got into manga because my friends read manga the trades make it easy to get into. The first comics I read were the manga size trades that were 7-8 bucks each.

I've never read something because of the creator's identity.

because, generally speaking, women don't read comic books.

however, newer generations don't have to put up with such a stigma. if i was young again and in high school, i might have fit in better now than in the 90s and early 2000s. newer generations have the internet, whereas the slightly older nerd pioneers who knew what life was like with and without the web got the short end of the stick

you lucky bastard

filipinos arent fond of hockey
is it because of racism?

checkmate drumpffpfpfff

It's a real issue that manga volumes (which is usually 5-6 chapters long, themselves being around 20 pages each) are cheaper than comic volumes, which usually range from $15-35. It's like they want us to read our own shit illegally

It's partly an effort of certain political extremists to dehumanize their enemies. They like to think that their enemies are evil invaders spawned from the pits of Hell who have come to destroy everything they love, so they enforce the notion that the "out-group" had nothing to do with the "in-group" until they decided to express their evil opinions which they have because they're evil and have no connection to comics outside of their evil invading opinions.

It's the standard Us-versus-Them mentality. "We" are the heroic innocent defenders, "They" are motiveless evil invaders who are as far from us as possible. That's what they want to believe.

Is this still a thing?

Also what's up with your picture?

But I'm really enjoying Rebirth.

The same way wrestling is

>I supposed it started back when the comics code kicked in and the moral busybodies tried to scare parents.
Romance comics didn't die until the 70s. Mainly it died out because women wanted it lewder than kisses and hand holding, and mostly women like romance garbage.

Same reason the stereotype that most guys that read comics are virgin neets exist when we all know that isnt true. I would be willing to bet that at least 99% of the posters in this thread get pussy on the regular

Capeshit has fanservice for women, since the 70s.

Why does the stereotype that women are human beings exist?

She looks like that Skin-bender demon from Ghost rider

nice reversal of whats actually happening my dude

While I would accept these offerings, they aren't FOR women. You can't just draw men like you'd draw a woman and call it fanservice for women.

At least get a gay guy to do it.

What if I made a comic book called "back to the kitchen" and the superheroine has sandwich powers also her name is Imma Grill?

>3%
Even guys tend to die easily at that percent and girls actually need more fat.

>comics are soap opera-ish
>wrestling is soap opera-ish
>girls like MMA now

Goddamnit, if those aren't dude interests/hobbies then what the fuck is?

Are you implying Mike Grell was drawing fanservice for DC's small fag fanbase in the 70s?

And as far I know, all the manly crossdressing fanartists tend to be women.

gay

My god, what is wrong with her body?

>wrong