Legality of comic websites

Are websites like viewcomic and readcomiconline legal for the users?

no idea the legality but i read alot of stuff on read comics but they dont always have everything.

Of course not, you moron. Those sites are literally honeypots.

If you really want to help the industry or are too scared the FBI will bust into your house for pirating go to your nearest LCS and buy floppies like a good cuck.

Why though? Movie streaming websites are legal for the users, so why not viewing comics in a non-download format? I guess I should have asked if storytimes are legal too for that matter.

No. Reading a comic in your browser is legally speaking the same as downloading a movie or song. You've created an unauthorized copy by opening the image.

>Why though? Movie streaming websites are legal for the users

lol

No, I'm calling Marvel, DC, the FBI, and your mom right now to tell them you read comics without purchasing them.

I thought summer was over.

Actually I do purchase comics, but there are older comics that are very difficult to find, which leads me to wondering how to access them.

I'd argue that sites like that are illegal like any movie or anime streaming site.

However reading comics on something like Sup Forums isn't illegal and only the poster could be held responsible in the same way as someone uploading full Disney movies to Youtube would be responsible instead of the people who watch them.

Some older comics are public domain, but I'm guessing you're not referring to them since this is Golden Age stuff we're talking about here.

No. Much like KissAnime/Cartoon, the comic industry wants to kill them, but they're focused on going after the hosts of the sites rather than the users of said sites.

A lot of things are reprinted or available on Comixology.

What you're referring to with YouTube is violating the terms of service, not copyright law. YouTube will not ban you for watching a copyright infringing video, but technically speaking, it IS against the law.

Any time you watch, listen to or view a copyrighted work without the copyright holder's permission on a computer through a browser, you are breaking the law because you are technically making a temporary copy of the work in RAM.

No sane company would ever try and charge people for it because it's basically impossible to prove, but if they really, REALLY wanted to, they could.

>readcomiconline
Does anyone else get constant captchas every time you go to the next comic?

enforcement of anti piracy for comics isn't as severe as music or movies, I guess because the internet is already filled with copyrighted images, which you can find from a simple google search.

>reading comics for free
>Um guys is this llegal
No shit

It's illegal to share copyrighted content, not receive copyrighted content.

What year is this?

its realistically the only way to get access to certain comics, but even then theres alot of shit they dont have

i guess its also a way to learn about old comics, and read them, for ones that are so old you would have never heard or cared about them
how many people ever thought "hey, i should read the 1975 beowulf the dragonslayer comic" yet there it is, on the frontpage

then again like i said, theres shit iv wanted to read, that you just cant get really

Mhh, if i search it through google, Isnt google criminal too?

Of course it's illegial.
Only way to get some comics though.

>honeypots
Show me one case where the FBI went after someone because they read a comic online without paying for it.

In my country there was huge battle against rips online. Some laws were made and every single site was taken down. They made such a big deal of this shit.

what's this one's

You stupid motherfucker, don't post the names of comics websites online. That's how hellocomic got taken down permanently.