Sup Forumsnon here. What would happen if Japan starts seeking material overseas to animate like DC...

Sup Forumsnon here. What would happen if Japan starts seeking material overseas to animate like DC, Marvel or Image comics. What would happen to both the anime and comics industry then, would it help or hinder both?

I know they already tried to make Marvel anime and it ended up disastrously.

Other urls found in this thread:

dec.2chan.net/63/src/1503847639910.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Like you said, they already tried doing marvel stuff. It was shit.

Could non-other Marvel stuff work like independent comics or does it have a problem like Hollywood studios trying to live action anime and manga? Just too much of a cultural divide for it to really be a hit in another country.

WB/DC is having a crossover between Justice League and Eagle Talon

The Punisher/Black Widow one was fine.

>tfw best girl dies
Fuck the Iron Man anime.

there was a Batman one too

If it's not Marvel or DC then it could be interesting.

Capeshit is over done.

Why would they? Japan has a shitton of material in their own turf to work with whether people like it or not or whether it's good or not.

There was a Witchblade anime too

They've done it several times.

The only good example of it happening was Spider-man Manga in the 70's.

Rest are that Tomb of Dracula movie, Witchblade and you get the idea of general quality.

Cybersix was animated by Japs though.

It would do nothing because even big budget global phenomenon movies barely help comic sales, only trade and merchandise sales, and cape characters are not going to change any Americans' minds about anime.

The X-Men anime was pretty good.

Black widow was really weird in this movie. She was way too bubbly and upbeat and teased Frank a lot. Seemed a bit out of character but was fine when she was fighting. Frank was on point though. This reminded me a lot of Black Lagoon at least until the ending had the rest of the avengers showing up

Gimme Gwenpool by Trigger

not the answer to your question, but japan doesn't need american source material, because their manga industry is already providing enough IP

But anyway, the philosophies between japanese and western nations are so different, things would be adapted in a very different way.
the american cap industry is built on a revolving door concept where status quo is mostly unchanging and indefinite, whereas most serialized stories in japan have finite endings and growth, and the things that dont are gag stories, like Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo, which is more comparable to The Simpsons
>storms tits
WHEW

this would be fucking hype

Batman anime with multiple seasons exploring all Batman sagas and side characters needs to happen.

>more Batman shit

Exactly! We need more Batman and all that surrounds Batman for more Batman shows.

Japs seem to have no qualms about directly adapting comics (read: manga), so maybe we'd finally get a cartoon that actually follows the comics instead of loosely being based on them.

>Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because Batman is the only thing that sells because DC only makes Batman stuff because...

dec.2chan.net/63/src/1503847639910.webm

from 2chan
google translate is balls but the problem with japan doing an american thing (and vice versa) is that they tend to add their own cultural quirks which either doesn't make sense for the character or ends up being a joke. An example of this was while i was searching for this animation i saw their thread about the Power Rangers movie, and alot of them seemed to be confused about it, they didn't realize that power rangers was ethnically diverse, or how much it tended to deviate from sentai and become it's own thing (also how much it differed from a show aimed for little kids in japan cause their sentai movies are essentially hour long episodes of their series while the power rangers had a more adult oriented them).

as I said earlier i did use google translate but that was I was able to gleam from the mess i was reading, but i may not be right

>It was shit.
It also had the best version of Cho outside of comics. At least it did that right.

Obligatory.
youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

Imagine a Superman cartoon that followed Superman life:

Season 1 -Superboy and joining the Legion of Superheroes
Season 2 -Metropolis and becoming Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor and all that.
Season 3 -Leading the Justice League in the biggest adventures
Season 4 - Superman marries Lois Lane and has a son

I would kill for a Punisher anime made by Trigger, right amount of action, style and whacky antics, shit would be so cash.

Nah you guys are shit taste fags but all their marvel shit was great, Tge movie i. The Op, the xmen anime, that one where the marvel universe becomes Digimon. All gold.

You would have to have the largest dick up your ass to hate on that

please kill yourself

I think DC is a lot more protective of their franchise and property

FULLY THREE AND A HALF MINUTES OF ERECT MUTANT ACTION

With the exception of X-men Japs do not like cape stuff. So by and large creating a super hero show would be abounding the safe local market and banking it all on the over seas. So it's risky.

Add in that the Japs would add in their own cultural differences to the show which western audiences would feel alien to and it's no good.

Here's my crackpot idea though. Take the DC super hero girls concept and let the nips handle it. Essentially make it a magical girl show.

Diffrent studios and directors would need I work on what there good at
Like the guy who made Angels Egg would be perfect for a Sandman film

Yeah, all of Marvel's anime were pretty fucking bad. Honestly I don't see any other inter-continental endeavor ending well unless a particular studio or competent director is REALLY passionate about an American franchise and puts a lot of personal love and care into the project. Without some personal investment from the people making them, these shows just end up like so much drab, forgettable garbage for a quick buck cashing in on a foreign franchise's name.

like the self-insert in the DC trinity comic?

You'd have to mess around with the properties a bit to see what works and what doesn't for a very different audience.

The way to do it isn't anime, it'd be through manga. Cheaper to produce, and once one gets successful enough you know which one to make an anime out of.

See, this sort of approach is really boring. Instead of taking advantage of the cultural differences between America and Japan, and the amazing different interpretations of classic characters you could get out of it, you want the same old shit you already have in your comics.
This sort of approach makes no sense to me. I say let the Japs go crazy, create their own version of Superman or Spider-Man or whatever and see where they take those characters.
It's like if you hired an indie cartoonist to work on Batman but you told them they can only make direct adaptations of the original stories. If you're not going to let them go crazy, what's the point?

I would want Madhouse to do The Magdalena. It would kick some serious ass.

>I know they already tried to make Marvel anime and it ended up disastrously.
Not at all.
Wolverine series was ok.
X-Men series was good.
Rise of Technovore was good.
Punish Widow was good.
I haven't seen Blade or Iron Man but I can't picture them being horrible. Wolverine is usually considered the worst of the bunch.

Also Batman Gotham Knight was great.
Wish they would do a anthology anime movie like that for Wonder Woman.

The Witchblade anime was good.

Only because it was a ripoff of Devil Lady, sometimes scene-for-scene.

I am still salty they gave us this fantastically animated teaser & then gave us that cheap 3d garbage in the actual series.
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ

An East of West adaptation by Madhouse (Trigun, Casshern Sins) mite b cool.

Madhouse tried that with Supernatural. It was meh.

I think Vertigo stuff would get some sick anime adaptation. Like, imagine a Sandman anime, or Swamp-Thing. Maybe even Lucifer. Heck, the Young Animal stuff right now, like Doom Patrol and Shade the Changing Girl, would work as an anime.

>Satoshi Kon died before he could direct a Shade, the Changing Man movie

only other guy I'd trust is Masaaki Yuasa

Don't know what you're saying. My I'm not a comic guy.

The Japs like x-men because they are very close to their style of super heros: secret identities are not a major focus, powers are received at birth or through advanced technology, very colorful costumes that resemble armor. For whatever Psylocke is really popular with them, like Wolverine popular.

My idea was that they really like female characters so them doing an all-girl team would also work. But it would only work if they were allowed to bend the universe without anyone caring, no one cared that the DC girls are in high school and Harlie Queen is a "hero".

They should animate Invincible.

>people in this thread hate Disk Wars
Fuck all of you

what is the japanese term for wrecking crew?

SHOCK!

>X-Men series was good.
>movie beta Ororo
>gentle and caring Emma Frost
>generic villains
good

>>gentle and caring Emma Frost
Yeah that was genuinely fucking great, it's in character as Emma even in her villain days was caring towards students but she wasn't a insufferable cunt that needs to die in a grease fire like she normally is

Besides the good Emma, it had good emotional beats with Armor, the best animation & designs for any of the Marvel anime, a proper Wolverine unlike his own series.

Weren't a lot of cartoons in the 80s and 90s collabs between Western and Japanese studios anyway?

rekingu kuruu?

>Magneto summoning dinosaurs

ah yes, my favorite one of his powers

Generally the west wrote the scripts and the story boards while the Japs animated them. The west owned all the IPs.

As a result the West probably got the lion's share of the profit. It's a fine bussiness model for Japan when they were a developing country. Now that they equal or surpass the west in the animation industry it doesn't make sense for them to do that model anymore, they'd want to have all the creative input and the profit for themself.

>he hasn't heard about justice league vs eagle talon

I wonder why Japs (generally) favor Iron Man (MCU version) over Captain America, despite Cap generally being viewed as the more virtuous person. Is it because they like Mech-shit?

Anyways, I wonder if an adaptation of Teen Titans (the older animated series, no Go!) or Power Pack might sell well in Japan.

>why do Japs like the guy in power armor

user

Maybe it has something to do with Captain America being created as propaganda during a period wherein the USA and Japan were at war.

Come on man you remember when he summoned dinosaurs and Beast Punched the earth and cracked it to swallow up those dinosaurs back into the earth?

:p

Iron man has a suit like Kamen Rider. Captain America is tied to nationalism of a foreign power; you'd have to be a turbo westaboo to like it.

I doubt the Japs would like teen titans. They don't like Western attempts to do anime style because frankly the West's attempts are cringey and stupid.

---
One of the big divides between Jap heroes and Western heroes is that Western heroes start with a fixed power level and it more or less remains that way, it really only fluctuates from writer to writer. Japanese super heros have an increasingly power level. They get a new, better mecha, unlock a new ability, get a better trasnformation, etc.

This means that they need a constant string of new bad guys who also have higher power levels. If there is a recurring villain he's either already at max power but doesn't confront the hero directly until the final season or the recurring villain also gets power ups. The rest of the villains get killed off because they are no longer an appropriate challenge, something that is very alien to super heroes.