Line variation

>line variation
>anatomy
>proper stylization
>shading

What the FUCK happened to western cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_EaQEn81AQQ&list=PLyKfjbPdkUJWYj5atuizdncvl87DR613a
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

CalArts

laziness

cost effectiveness is inversely proportional to artistic integrity

>Let's create the same exact thread with the exact same OP one week later

There is nothing wrong with that

It was thirteen episodes. That's a decent amount of splurging room.

budget and more time constraints dude

As long as it remains true, I'll keep posting it

k, babe?

what show was this

/thread

The Maxx

I think people used to blame Flash?

Was this on mtv?

It's not true, you're just a dumb finding exceptions to pretend they were the norm.

Nice try though. Don't fall for bait guys.

thank you

It's been a whole decade of shitty economy, and with shitty economy, animation suffer the most that any other media because animation itself need the money and is risky enough

television
what the fuck is this? doesnt look american. european maybe? or else, cinematic. or both.
cinematic 2d animation was always in another league from TV. even the shit you think was the old cartoons was cinematic shorts

The people in charge of the show also went to there...

Honestly, anything besides the character designs looked really lazy and cheap, even the animation was quite bad.

Still a great show.

>footfags
you are not allowed to have an opinion

>This thread again

That's the Koreans.

don't listen to this degenerate animation shill

I see you faggot

Weebs and executives pushing for lower budgets.

>instead of occasionally having good western animation, we now never have it

so essentially the same argument of things being worse than they were

Do you realize how retarded you look right now?

>Weebs

Literally every anime currently airing looks better than literally every cartoon currently airing. Might want to rethink your statement, dipshit.

>Literally every anime currently airing looks better than literally every cartoon currently airing

>moving mouths are better than actual moving characters

>implying that the animation of the current cartoons is any better than current anime

Are you living in the 50s?

Hell, some classics of Sup Forums are barely fluid, like Dexter and PPG.

As a huge weeb, I disagree. Anime is dogshit right now.

You get one or two well-done episodes, followed by an entire season of shit. All the characters are wall-eyed, body construction and anatomy is nowhere to be found, and it's all derivative shit that's being rehashed for the hundredth time.

The best thing currently airing is Gamers. Fucking GAMERS!

>post gifs from cartoons that give you a boner

That school literally spent the last 3 decades huffing the farts of the class of Pixar that they believe what ever barely enjoyable middling slop they put out is immediately fucking awesome, because Cal Arts was on someone's resume.

And it's become an endemic issue in western animation.

Flash animation.
Laziness.
Noodle bodies.

Everyone copying the early 2000 stuff because 1 or 2 of those shows got popular and now every single show is like that.

Nah man, Kakegurui is better.

I wish there were more cartoon girls with some pudge

So your point is western animation has always been shit?

I see it in comics and cartoons, it's pretty sad. We need to keep getting mad so some of us that are artists try to bring back integrity.

>They've been doing this for decades and I've been bitching about it for just as long but nothing has changed

Because the FREE MARKET dictates what artist get hired for what

Kakegurui is a spit in the fucking face to anyone who read the manga first. Fuck you.

>The people in charge of the show also went to there...

It's not like CalArts destroyed western animation over night. It took at least of a decade of churning out progressively worse and worse grads to get us where we are now.

>e best thing currently airing is Gamers. Fucking GAMERS!
I was told Made in Abyss and Princess Principal and Owarimonogatari were the best this season. Was I lied too? Why would someone lie about this seasons best?

It's a steaming crock from start to finish

There is a really easy fix for that: don't read manga.

And yet it's still better than Gamers.

Not really fair since anime can afford larger budgets. China has 5 times the population of the US so average ratings are much higher.

I don't know that anyone really remembers this cartoon "accurately". It was a ton of static animation. Very limited movement with an emphasis on cinematic camera work. Scenes like your gif were really well done but also pretty rare throughout the entire show.

digital animation and people like butch hartman, Gendy and Craig Mckracken for creating streamline character designs that we see now.

what is this even from?
a movie?
a limited series?
a short?
a toy commercial?
because if its anything but a syndicated kids cartoon its probably going to have good animation

Cartoon series from the 90s.

Even this gif is only a few frames

what series

The Maxx

CalArts has nothing to do with that, you are being dense if you actualy believe on the memes. Its even more stupd because the cartoons that Sup Forums complain that are "CalArts style" are mostly not even done by CalArts grads: SU - not made by CA students and Sugar actualy goes on her way to contract people with no previous experience in animation/Gumball - Made on Europe/NuPPG - Made mostly by newcomers that never went to CalArts because CN said that they wanted "new modern blood".

First, the single most important thing is budget. You seriously believe that the suits selecting determined shows to follow trends is fault of the school, and not of the people who are doing the selection to begin with.

Seriously, you are an idiot.

so yeah an experimental limited series
it was cool that MTV did a lot of stuff like this back in the day but it never proved profitable

when you compare movies and shorts to complete tv series, of course, the latter is going to look worse
maybe compare things that are on the same format

Paying top end artist for shows that fail isn't profitable?

youtube.com/watch?v=_EaQEn81AQQ&list=PLyKfjbPdkUJWYj5atuizdncvl87DR613a

did you know, tv is supposed to run off love
its not like good animation can be crowd funded either

>crowdfund my watered down sjw dragons lair

>Scenes like your gif were really well done but also pretty rare throughout the entire show.

that's being disingenuous. They weren't plentiful, but they weren't "Rare" either.
And I'd say they were worth the static moments

Not memeing with this. Lauren Faust worked on some of the layouts and storyboards for this. Yet great animation like this died when flash and toon boom stuff like My Little Pony from Canada went popular.

Oh it's you from that retarded "Asian girls" thread again. Staying up late on a school night?

Animation is off though.

nigga wut?

the gif might be shit quality

The real answer is Simpsons.
Yeah, sometime, the animation was smooth, in the first season, but that's it, and the artstyle told anyone it was ok to have ugly cartoon.

I have wondered if we're just so used to the show we don't realize how ugly it is, but eh I dunno about this.

Yes.

The Maxx, a US series. Pic related.

Absolutely this.

Flash was already showing its age by the time MLP came out. You need to look a bit further back, to the early and mid 2000s, when Newgrounds, Homestar Runner, and Flash animation in general were still the hip new thing. (Johnny Test premiered in 2005, if that gives you a good benchmark. It's also the style that Spanky from Drawn Together, c. 2004 was meant to parody.)

*muh budget*

what a shit excuse

some asshole with a dinky political newspaper comic strip managed to get super high production values for his show somehow

As an animator, these threads always give me an aneurysm. Nobody regardless of stance or opinion knows what the fuck they're talking about, it's always from the perspective of a bunch of infantilized fans of children's media and not people from artistic backgrounds who give a damn about the medium. Nobody ever talks about the animation methods, nobody knows what the fuck the actual methodology of the business is like and complain about issues that literally don't exist or are only half truths of a different problem altogether, and people's point of reference for animation is """"""obscure""""""" cartoons from the 90s.

It's just sad is all, there's pretty much no other place on the internet willing to entertain this discussion, but the one we keep having on Sup Forums is uneducated about the most basic shit that I wonder if it's even worth having anymore. I honestly feel inclined to start making videos on this shit just to set the record straight, beva use god damn I'm tired of you ignorant motherfucker getting the most basic shit about animation wrong and proliferating obsolete information about the business that hasn't been true in years, and if anything gets propagated to fuck over animators with the same wage fixing bullshit and job exportation abuse plaguing the visual effects industry in general.

make a yt rant, I'll watch it

then you can repost it again and again for posterity

Rewatch it.
The art is good, the animation is terrible.

nothing is "animated" constantly in every scene besides disney shit and those designs are always simplified and cartoony

so what's your point

Why did you waste time on that shitpost then instead of startin the animation discussion, smartypa ts?

This really.

>weebs

Who are the biggest weeb's in animation? Bruce Timm, Aaron McGruder? Both of their shows, just as with anime, have art styles that would actually require skill to copy. An 8 year old could draw Adventure Time.

Christ. I guess this would be on the topic of where it all started but I remember when people used to complain that Family Guy was drawn shittily and that it would essentially send the message to wannabe animators that they can half ass their work. But compared to much of what we have today Family Guy's art might as well be Picasso. Truly a forecast of doom.

Do it faggot, I want to see your point of view.

Be honest, user. You saw this image on an anime feet blog.

>imblying you wouldn't fug senseless even after she stopped sucking in.

It's not a free market though. People only get to buy what people sell; it's why shopping habits and dietary habits are affected so heavily by supermarkets.

The problem isn't calarts it's all art schools, sometime in the last few decades most art schools stopped teaching the fundamentals and just started letting students learn whatever they wanted, this lack of fundamentals became so prevalent that traditional drawing and anatomical study almost became lost art forms, art schools have always been the clubhouses of rich children and since the schools are kept running on the financial contributions of those rich kids parents the schools have no choice but to cater to them, and when those rich kids would rather glue used tampons to a mailbox and call it art than practice life drawings and gesture work there is not much the school can do to stop them.
Read "the animators survival kit" there is a pretty good description of the situation in there.

>I actually know what I'm talking about
>maybe I should actually join the conversation!
That's kinda the point? Jesus, why are all "artists" such drama queens?

Cartoons are and have always been kiddie shit and no one needs to put in more effort than is needed to make a 5 year old laugh.

Said the entirety of America outside of people actually interested in animation. Your county has a horrid belief that cartoons were only ever for children, and so long as they're seen as children's products, no one will ever pay money to put real effort into them. Even OP's gif comes from an experimental programme in the early 90s on MTV.

1. Make them Fast and Cheap™

2. Make them toyetic

When the only market is for children, you only need the bare minimum effort because they'll like anything.

>Wasting time posting this instead of explaining what is really going on
Well, certainly passive agressive, smug people with an inferiority complex like you are the real problem in western animation.

The runaway success of Adventure Time got execs thinking "This is what kids want these days", causing them to select cartoons and animators who aped its style.

it's fine.
>the art is good

most cartoons these days can't even say that. not sure why you're shitting on one of the decent western cartoons.

>muh time restraints

whatever that means. if anything people have more time now. back in the day it'd take all day just to wash your clothes. don't get why people whine about never having enough free time. maybe you're just shitty at budgeting it.

>anatomy

Yeah I really like her anatomy as well

We gotta do a chart about nicely drawn cartoons someday.

>mfw people don't know the difference between art style, animation and animation style

>mfw people think 3D is INHERENTLY more expensive than 2D

We just started to care about characters nd story instead

>Someone turned my shitpost into a copypasta

Why are nostalgia fags so blind?

>left has proper sausage representation
>right has none