The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 5: Fall of the Mutants (Part 19)

This is it, folks. The last X-Men storytime...

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pemgwRrCs78?t=53s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

...of this volume.

Anybody reading or am I just posting for the birds

Is Rictor a rip off of Avalanche? (and the nuhuman Quake?) in terms of powers I mean.

I think it may be a weird time (day and hour) for a storytime, I wasnt expecting it and it surprised me.

It's kind of a generic power desu, there's plenty of characters whose power is basically "earthquakes"

Yeah, I'm pretty much bored and wanted to get this done and over with because some people have been waiting for the updated Mega for quite some time, so I decided to just run this now.

Reading a storytime is a lot easier with your monitor in portrait instead of landscape.

Doesn't help that it's X-Factor

Which is why I'm not commenting either btw

I think Avalanche's gimmick wasnt only earthquake, but the waves of earth-turning the ground almost liquid thing.
But it is one of the most common powers, after the Human Torch rip offs.

yes, Magma can almost do at the same time what Pyro and Avalanche do (not exactly)
I think it would be easy to make her an Omega mutant if Marvel ever feels like it. There have been a couple of instances in which she traveled thousands of kilometers underground, only to appear from below the ground like a volcanic eruption.

What, not even for that sweet Simonson art?

Dear satan,
could you please tell me how immature I am that this cover and the following page make it impossible for me to stop laughing long enough to read any further?

I have a hard time "reading for the art" when mai waifu isn't invovled

dr druid got a mention not too long ago as Worst Avenger ever in Deadpool. Deadpool wanted to be called that, but he couldnt because the worst one was Dr Druid.

I am too old to not see them as the Team where they throw the very lame characters.

Fair enough I s'ppose.

tbf, Dr. Druid is pretty sucky.

Hey X-user, sorry for not having a chance to comment on the last X-Factor thread because of other stuff going on.

A shame, I feel like I might be the only one really enjoying them.
Happy to see we're reaching the end of Dumb Beast.

Hey dude. No worries, I think this is pretty alright too.

Man, this sure is proof he was gay, isn't it?

Reminder that Tabby lusts for Iceman at this point.

Well... it does look a /bit/ awkward...

Orphan Maker is a delightfully morbid idea.

Prophecy: Always so infuriatingly cryptic as to be useless.

>Archangels adds oil to the pan.jpg

Rictor can control soundwaves to create earth tremors and shit.

Avalanche's power is actually way way way vaguer and potentially Omega level if he had a brain.

Avalanche can outright animate and control inanimate objects (which he uses on the ground to manipulate the earth and cause his namesake avalanches). He can also cause objects to disintegrate and fuck with the momentum of objects to cause them to crash faster or at random.

This is so very /d/

Pyro can't do what Magma does.

He can control fire but only control fire. He can't create it on his own (hence him having flame thrower in his costume) and more to the point, he can't do jack shit to lava or any of the primal elemental forces that Magma can tap into.

after decades of comics with Cyclops, it doesnt feel right to me that he could pierce the Blob.
his effect when hitting people 99% of times is comparable to the water cannons the police uses during demonstrations to disperse protesters.

>his effect when hitting people 99% of times is comparable to the water cannons the police uses during demonstrations to disperse protesters.

The only thing keeping those from slicing protesters in half is nozzle size and pressure level.

youtu.be/pemgwRrCs78?t=53s

RIP, Dumb Beast.

I am half convinced you were a mid range plan to undo the de-furrying that Weezie was stuck with when she saved this book.

Rictor vibrates things (the air, the ground, his dong)

Avalanche is a terrakinetic.

Quake is a Bendiseen abomination who got Rictor's powers somehow by being related to Mr. Hyde, a fairly generic bruiser.

Roger Stern added Dr Druid (a super obscure character introduced a couple of months before the Fantastic Four #1 came out) because he wanted a magic/occult guy on the team and Doctor Strange was longtime embargoed from the Avengers. No one liked him though, so when Stern got forced out, one of the orders given to Walt Simonson when he took over the book, was to make Druid go evil and kill him off.

Also, the Avengers was in a very weird place for the bulk of the 80s/90s; basically the main book was mostly C/D-Listers, anchored by Thor, Captain America, and either She-Hulk or Vision.

West Coast Avengers meanwhile, got pretty much all of the "traditional" Avengers: Hawkeye, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Vision, Hank Pym, Wasp, Wonder Man.

For context, imagine had Marvel done the right fucking thing when Bendis took over and told him point blank: you are going to have to coexist with a second traditional Avengers book next to your JLA-ized Avengers. You can use Wolverine, Spidey, Sentry, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Echo, but you have to also use Thor and She-Hulk and Captain America in high profile roles where they run things. And Iron Man/Wanda/Vision/Hawkeye/Hank Pym/Wasp's Avengers book is going to be the Avengers book where everything important happens; you're Avengers book is going to be bland and inoffensive shit we can sell as TPBs

Sadly they never used him that often and let Bachelo give him a shitty new armor, then let fucking Daniel Way/Jason Aaron (one of those two) casually have Wolverine kill him off.

>Anybody reading or am I just posting for the birds
Here, just quiet tonight...thanks for this massive mutant missive you've been undertaking.

I am reading, I just came in a touch late.

THIS IS A WEIRD TIME TO THROW OUT A BACK POCKET ISSUE.

... Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Thor still be all Beardy and beat to shit at this point?

IIRC Simonson had Jean/Scott beat up Freedom Force like they did because fans had been bitching (ever since the Brotherhood transitioned into Freedom Force) that Claremont had given the group absurd level plot armor and basically let them beat the shit out of the X-Men multiple times.

So she let Scott and Jean have a victory over the team, to give fans some release after watching Blob and company repeatedly curb stomp heroes.

So the Phantom Stranger was just an alien this whole time!

Man, that sure does sound like a Silver Age story they're recapping as prelude to this sequel.

Marvel did an Alf comic in the Star Comics line.

It was... okay.

See, this is not actually out of character for Dr Druid.

Thor lost the beard around the time of Avengers #293/294, which is when this particular Avengers roster existed.

X-Factor had several inventory stories written for it during it's early years. This one is being done simply because Inferno was about to hit and they would not have another chance to run it.

Fun fact; a later letter column would accuse Marvel of doing the story (and not referencing the Thor story the villain comes from) because
they wanted to sucker fans into buying it via the Avengers/X-Factor cover just so they would read the letter page and see the announcement for Inferno/Marvel finally explaining the Maddie/Jean mystery.

Skids and Boom-boom's 80s ass clothing is super hot.

Actually Marvel's ALF was awesome.

A great comedy book that used the medium to do shit that the live action show could not do, plus mixed the best of the live action show and the prequel cartoon show.

The comic definitely had a Rick and Morty sci-fi vibe, except with none of the Hot Topic nhillism Rick and Morty has.

I actually liked that Claremont had Freedom Force be hard to beat bad-asses.

Let's face it; the Brotherhood has always been a bunch of jobbers. At least when they were Freedom Force, they were competent villains and more to the point, they had the victories to prove it.