I'm three volumes into Saga

I'm three volumes into Saga.

It's not very good...

What are your thoughts on the series, Sup Forumsmrades?

Other urls found in this thread:

barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/brian-k-vaughan-talks-saga-paper-girls-and-why-well-never-get-that-lying-cat-series/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good but there are two or three times it tries to insert liberal bullshit. i'd say it's worth it to keep reading

I made it two volumes in and didn't go farther. I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel any desire to read more.

It's the most Brian K Vaughn-iest book Brian K Vaughn has ever written.
It's good, but after reading through that "Y: The Last Man" storytime we had a few months ago, I'm burnt out on him. It's the same old tactics, half shock and half wink-wink-nudge-nudge-tropey. I've been overdosed on them.

Started out pretty good, now it's just meandering from place to place and spinning its wheels. I usually forget it's a thing for several months and then catch up, mostly just to see how it ends, if it ever does.

I got into the series mostly because of how much I liked Y: The Last Man, but I definitely know what you mean when you say Vaughn's style is tiresome. Hilariously enough, the guy can't write male characters for shit.

Shit OP you just made me remember I picked up volume 2 the other day and haven't read it

I liked the intro so I hope it gets better

> Stoped caring after BKV killed off yet another character because he's a hack who doesn't know what to do with characters
> Kept reading for the fuck of it
> Book goes on hiatus
> Remeber it started back up again
> Literally first page back is pic related

Ya no thanks, I'm good. I'm sick of this sjw edginess bull shit.

I forgot about it after like 8 issues

As of this post, the term SJW has officially lost all meaning.

Your post reaks of sjw shit.

It could be better if it didn't pander so hard. Could've been Fifth Element great, if it hadn't become BKV's soapbox so fast.

I finally decided to drop it. It starts out pretty strong but trust me, the latter part of the story goes fucking nowhere and stays that way. Felt like I wasted my time.

Award winning art right here

Abortion Town isn't SJW, you fucking ESL mong.

To be honest, I only read/skim it to see all the dicks.

You wish snowflake.

Nope, but it's edgy non-sense. Just like a dragon sucking its own dick and having a throbbing erection take up half a page.

that character was pretty great. would have been nice if he'd survived

I haven't gotten too far into it, but what is so SJW about Saga? Hamfisted "racism is bad" doesn't count because that's not social justice nonsense that's just common sense written poorly

Staples is really one of the laziest and worst artists for anything other than covers. This is worse than Zenescope.

Her art is honestly lame as shit, user. I cannot comprehend the praise she receives.

Ha! You got proven wrong on the internet!

I really like it. Vaughan is great at subtle shitting on parts of the left as much as he clearly leans left himself. In today's idiotic environment, that's really nice to see. Yeah he does the quasi standard thing of constantly playing with "follow the trope/break the trope" but he does it well.

I figured that out after the first few issues. It's meh and overrated. Diversity and sex and violence and killing people for cheap shock.

tumblr pandering bullshit
the only characters that were good (before i stopped reading) were prince IV and ghus. i think ghus died or something when i stopped reading, and i knew from pretty early on IV was flagged for death so i decided there was nothing left worth reading for.

I love it.

One thing about it that I'm attached to is how Vaughan does a decent job portraying people in their 50-60+'s in a more varied fashion than I've seen other writers pull off. I hope he lives a long time so I can read what he does with elder folk when he himself is a wizened old fart.

I know so many people that could have used that town, that want that town. Socials services are getting fucked in this country.

Complaints about the pacing slowing down later are pretty fair, and I'm not sure it'll be as satisfying in the end as Y's was for me.

I think the way he died was pretty solid though. I recall thinking to myself on that part: "Yeah, fuck 'em."

With that said, I like the way a lot of different characters have died, there weren't many that made me think Vaughan was just trying to pull heartstrings without really earning it in a narrative sense.

Of course some anons like
disagree with me on that exact point, but I think they're poop heads.

I'm okay with the art, but it doesn't impress the way say, Paper Girls does with Matt Wilsons' amazing colors and everything (I haven't picked up Paper Girls since vol 2, but damn was it pretty. I should get vol 3-- wonder how the story is going.)

I think Staples use of imagery is good however, and the panels are solid, she never gets over-fucking crazy in a way that makes things illegible. Some of her faces are so good, it is weird when there are a set of say, five panels with solid expressions with one that makes me go like: "What is that character even doing?" Chapter 26 is a pretty good example for me, tons of great faces next to ones that make me think I've entered a badly managed loading zone in a video game.

I hate Staple's art, but I think BKV is actually the problem. I think everything is suppossed to be toned down to make it look like a low budget soap opera.

Oh, and the way Sup Forums spaz's about tumblr and screeching lefty shit when Vaughan actually integrates it into his stories in smart ways is hilarious and, frankly, stupid.

It's fine but I feel like volume 4-7 could have been done in just two volumes rather than dragging out individual stories to make a trade. It's in that area where it's better than a lot of image stuff but there also a lot of books image puts out that are better than this.

I don't think any of it is really sjw considering the conversations and events that people call sjw make sense for the world that's been built.

I like it but shoehorning in the tranny into the story is hurting it. Almost every other character gets introduced naturally and fits well in the story but he just went and now this tranny is part of the main cast and central to everyone and it just hurts it.

>they're poop heads

I'm sorry user. BKV is just doing that stuff for cheap emotional tugs. From what I've read that stuff just comes across as cheap.

should have ended years ago, now there`s only cheap deaths and drama for the sake of drama

Extremely over-rated. Which is to say, it's not terrible, but it definitely does not deserve the near unanimous praise I see it getting from everyone I've talked to about it.

triggered once again

i dropped this garbage a while ago. what is this shit, and how can anyone defend it?

Marko got Alana pregnant again, but she got knocked around and the baby died. They went to that town to get it aborted without either of their respective governments being alerted, but were turned away.

I forgot to mention that IV pretended to be Alana's husband so that no one figured out who she was.

And for some reason did not mention the child was dead, solving the problem, but instead somehow serves as commentary for real world issues

It starts well enough, but it goes downhill hard and fast. BKV also gives me the impression of being the type of guy that hates when people like the supporting cast better than the protagonists because he's being going out of his way to ruin both IV and the Will during the last two arcs.

Petrichor being included baffles me. What was the point of making her joing the cast if IV was already tagging along? She only serves for shoehorned social commentary and we're supposed to feel bad for her because of "reasons".

I really liked it at first, but then it sortof started meandering. And then it just became bad. It's a shame.

>TFW you're not sure if you're reading Saga or Bomb Queen any more.

>going out of his way to ruin both IV and the Will during the last two arcs

.....they were legit my favorite characters.

So glad I stopped reading then. Robot IV is a good boy and didn't do nothing.

I really like Robot and I can't tell what's the deal with his character anymore, it's like BKV just keeps tacking on personality traits.

Just a couple of issues ago he was mortified about having sex dreams about Alana, and now he's going to fuck a trans moonie after conveniently revealing that he's genderfuild. Him not being straight had like three different issus adressing it, this whole thing happened in about two pages.

quick question: If Saga is not a good comic, what do some of you consider to be a good comic?

That string of words is one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Jesus.

Honestly, BKV just doesn't know how to end/progress a character's storyline. IV's story used to be crystal clear and understandable. Now it's just a mess. What a waste.

>what do some of you consider to be a good comic?

Any comic that keeps its characters more focussed, that is not afraid to end characters or storylines when they have served their purpose, and that doesn't meander endlessly without going anywhere.

Indie comics that do this: Locke and Key, Courtney Crumrin, Usagi Yojimbo, etc. It's just a matter of good writing.

In which regard? For example. I think the Flinstones did a much better job of adressing social issues than much of Saga's run.

Beautiful Darkness is my absolute favorite, though not really comparable. Mimi and the Wolves is great and tackles relationships pretty well. Skydoll handles many of the issues Saga brings up in a much more meaningful way. Though I admit I'm only a couple volumes into Saga.

Best part of the series is right there. Everyone else sucks.
It reminds me of the quote from the Narnia author about childishness. The series is trying to feel like it's an adult when the most childish of things is trying to be an adult instead of BEING an adult.
This failure to do so has made it descend into the standard pretentious drivel of a teenager thinking it's edgy first attempts at philosophy are profound. There are exceptions but they aren't common enough to counteract this.

>can't write male characters
Really? I thought a lot of the male characters in saga were fine, not great characters but serviceable to the plot, except Marco whose self righteousness goes beyond the point of reason and not in a way that makes sense and otherwise has nothing else going for him other than the fact he hooked up with someone who in all honesty isn't his type. Oh and the reporters...those damn jerk asshole reporters.

shut up

The one way this whole thing could be redeemed in my eyes would be if it lead to him dying and Squire finding out that despite being a deeply flawed person, Robot still loved him and tried very hard to raise him to be good. Then Squire could go back to the Robot Kingdom and work on making it less shit for the people or something.

Well, yeah, Petrichor is who I meant by trans moonie.

> tell me more about how your wife was shot by your own people, oooohhh

Princess Robot was too pure for this world.

I'd have liked to see more of her, specially because how it seemed like she was the one to wear the pants in their relationship.

>skydoll

I love Skydoll too but I think it's not a very subtle take on the issues it's trying to tackle or handle. Saga isn't either but skydoll just is the typical 'religion is bad and currupting the masses' without further commentary.

>Indie comics that do this: Locke and Key, Courtney Crumrin, Usagi Yojimbo, etc. It's just a matter of good writing.

So...three. Three comics are good.

>skydoll just is the typical 'religion is bad and currupting the masses' without further commentary.
I dunno, the Spaceship collection and Sudra give it more of a twist that it's more of a fault of the peoples' blind, willing ignorance than religion. Religion wouldn't be a problem if the people actually questioned things. Lodovica's story is about the dangers of a society that's too sexual while Agape and Noa's story is about the dangers of a society that's too repressed. It's actually got some parallels with Rocky Horror Picture Show there.

You read Sudra?

Please tell me the plot/what happens. I've been low on cash to buy it and there's no digital copy to be found.

Oh fuck off, you retard.

There are many comics better and more competently written than Saga. And I liked Saga. But BKV is not a very good writer and the comic is dead in the water now.

Yeah, I felt she was killed off way to soon.

Just a quick rundown since I'm always terrible with finer details and don't want to get anything wrong. They're hiding on a planet while Noa secretly performs miracles to get by. The genetic material of Agape is stored inside Noa, which is why she has the powers and why Agape can speak to her. Agape calls Noa into the wilderness where she has a vision and where the genetic material is stolen from her. It ends with them heading to another planet, the home of malfunctioning robots in order to prevent Agape's power being used for evil

The reason I say Sudra pushes the blame onto the people is that the people there are just as depraved as elsewhere in the galaxy even without religion's heavy presence. Lodovica is taking advantage of the fact using religion, of course, but if the people were more aware and willing to change, there would be nothing for religion to take advantage of. The very first story of the Spaceship collection with the gothic loli doll does a pretty great job of showing what I mean, as does the papess for a day story.

Not that user but you do know that there are more indie comics out there then anyone can possibly read right?

That's like saying just because someone says they've seen 3 literary classics better than Harry Potter that implies that there's nothing better than Harry Potter.

Do you guys think they'll kill off Alana with the abortion going wrong?

I'd really hope so

>good but there are two or three times it tries to insert liberal bullshit. i'd say it's worth it to keep reading

Well written at first and interesting, but then it does go weirdly, distractingly liberal. Unlike a lot of Sup Forums, I don't actually mind people having politics... but the Saga people really do start inserting them so hamfistedly that it's almost impossible to continue to focus on the plot anymore.

The transvestite character who somehow seems to have become the main character is a huge case in point.

There's literally a fucking sign that says "WELCOME TO ABORTION TOWN."

That's the fucking textbook definition of "sjw edginess."

That's an interesting intpretation. To be honest I've never really considered the stories in Spaceship like the doll factory Loli story as connected to the message.

Also what are your thoughts on the characters?

For some reason Noa kinda gets on my nerves. Her personality and the things she'd do despite being called a 'sweet doll' in the descriptions of the comics kinda make her unlikable for me.

And what was the deal with Jahu's ex wife? The first time I read it (I don't think my comics translation was the best) I assumed Rose died or was kidnapped/held for ransom by the cardinals that work under Ludovica so that Jahu wouldn't fuck up the aqua mission. As in a 'mysterious disappearance'. But then after rereading it I realized Jahu was kicked out as Noa implies. So what happens to her?

>Fifth Element great
Stupid but fun?

I think that's what he meant.

BKV has this habit of putting "shock"/funny-out-of-context pages at the beginning and end of almost every issue of Saga. He's been doing that since the very beginning, it's nothing new.

Do you have a comprehension problem. Did someone forget to tell you what "etc" means?

i don't have much of a problem with it because she's still racist and i was more pissed off about the "women suffer more in wars" bullshit. it's outer space, different identities will exist.

Probably not, but I'd say it's possible that either Alana or Marko will be dead by the end of the series.

Yeah the racism was a nice touch but at the same time you have to ask yourself why Petrichor is there in the first place. What purpose does that character have in the narrative anymore? If anything Petrichor has no goal or reason to stay with the couple and Robot. If anything it was just a replacement for the old moody moonie character. Though I guess that last minute coupling with Robot will be enough to drag he/she along for several more volumes.

>Yeah the racism was a nice touch but at the same time you have to ask yourself why Petrichor is there in the first place.
Literally none. They could have dumped her off in some planet - exactly like they did with Robot in the first place. She doesn't like Alana or Marko, barely even cares about Hazel and it's not like she can rat them out because she's also an escaped prisioner.

>implying the series will ever end

I don't know about you but I think they're going to milk this series longer than a shonen anime.

That's what I said. There is no reason for the character at all.

barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/brian-k-vaughan-talks-saga-paper-girls-and-why-well-never-get-that-lying-cat-series/
>You’ve said before that you know how this story ends, and that it will take a long time to get there. Has your conception of that journey gotten clearer? Is this a book you want to be writing a decade from now (at which point we’d be approaching issue 100)?
>I still know exactly what the last page of the last issue will be, but I hope that won’t be for many years to come. The ball’s really in Fiona’s court though, since I only want to do the book as long as she’s still enjoying making it.
He at least has an ending in mind.
That being said, I'd be surprised if this gets to 100 issues.

babby's first alternative comic

I guess it's a good way to interest someone on the weirder image stuff. but that's it.

So what is the final panel, Sup Forums?

Grown up Hazel facing the reader, just having finished telling her story to someone else.

>For some reason Noa kinda gets on my nerves.
I absolutely understand that. She's the kind of girl that I like reading about and roleplaying as but I would hate her to death in real life. Knowing her motives and her entire story makes me root for her even if she doesn't always make the best choices though. My biggest problem with the protagonists is that I wish Roy would stop being such an enabler and would show some spine. I always feel like he's just kind of getting dragged along for the ride, which I mean is kind of the point, but doesn't make for a very interesting protagonist choice if he never changes. He's ostensibly the reasonable one, but never actually does anything unless someone else has made the decision for him, so his reasonable-ness never shows outside of talking to himself.

I'm still not really sure what Jahu and his wife's whole deal is to be honest. But I think that one's on purpose. In Sudra he hooks up with one of the natives so I'm pretty sure the deal there is mostly to contrast with Roy's more idealistic idea of sex and love while Jahu is the one that conflates sex and love. The fact that he had a wife, lost her, and then forgot about her is just illustrating that he didn't really care about her.

so glad someone did a thread,i was thiking of doing one soon,i read like 30 or 40 numbers.and i have to say i don`t like it,i can`t belive this won an hugo award,i hate all the characters,scept maube the writer because i think he is a reference to ernest hemingway

First Volume was the best volume, then 3 and everything else just comes after those two.

>skydoll just is the typical 'religion is bad and currupting the masses' without further commentary.

Which is kind of understandable since the authors are italian.

>the papess for a day story.

That was perhaps the strongest story in the entire compilation. It was legit disturbing.

>hooks up with one of the natives

Wasn't it the performer girl he hooked up with, the underage one who eloped with them in the end of book 3? And doesn't she die in the book somehow, or is hospitalized? I haven't read the english version yet as they aren't fucking releasing it.

iirc in the first trilogy, the fact that she lost her wife weighed heavy on him, and that other performer girl mesmerized him because she was so alike her. So it's not that he forgot about her, he is just moving on because he had a lot of shitty times and finally found someone to be happy with (again).

I trust Vaughn to come through in the end, but I don't care enough to keep up. Pretty sure I would have dropped Y: the Last Man if I had been reading it as it came out.

Oh shit, I think you're right, sorry. Should have re-read Decade first, I guess. And they did just release Sudra in english actually. Amazon and IST should both have it.

After reading the most recent volume I'm starting to think Brian K. Vaughan doesn't know how to end things. The story meaning is just lost in plot at this point, and it has me worried for where Paper Girls is headed since I liked those first two volumes so much. I don't care much about the main characters in Saga anymore, I'm interested in the direction of The Will and Sophie but that's about it.

>And they did just release Sudra in english actually. Amazon and IST should both have it.

I want a digital release.
If I bought the paperback to scan and release, the digital will be out in 1 fucking week after that, and make my scans look like ass, so I want to buy the digital release.

> waste pages on the tranny when Sophie's, Will's, Squire's and the reporters' arc are still ongoing.

what did he mean by this?

That's a strange thing to say. It's like everything written is filler and they could be doing the end right now.

P good. I find most of the side characters more interesting than the main family. The art probably helps a lot when I struggle through BKV's writing.

Merfags were so fucking pointless, but they'll survive because they're the only gay couple so far I think.

You mean terrible? But it succeeded at that

I'd compare it to SU. It's got some high points but there's a shit ton of filler and it drags a lot of characters and concepts that have pointential through the dust while trying to make you care about stupid, pointless, and bland characters with mixed results. It also depends on desu ex machina to get the characters out of a lot of situations. It's also got some political commentary that's heavy handed as well.