Complex character relationships

>complex character relationships
>comfy interactions
>development
Why was this episode so good?

It has a clear beginning (the first encounters of the relationship and the death of a strong secondary character), middle (their interactions watching the show) and end (coming to terms with Death and their shared context with it)?

Well we need some discussion cause the last thread got deleted

I wonder how was the first time.
Pearl said they'd done it before, but they stopped and no other than them know the reason.
I doubt it was Steven's birth.

Probably awkward

DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT DEVELOPMENT

Wasn't it implied Greg and shape-shift rose amethyst had some sex while watching Little butler

>Early Amethyst
>Rude, kind of a bully, cares only about herself, total slob
>Steven's "big sister", freespirited, better shapeshifter than the other Gems, the most human gem, enjoys relaxing

>Amethyst now
>b-b-but I'm defective, I'm the worst Gem! Did I mention I came from kindergarten and blame myself for the Gem war? Or that I'm not as strong as I should be? Jasper and Steven are so much better than me. I only eat to drown out my feelings...

Yep
The show isn't perfect

It had plot, narrative, and actually added something meaningful to the story of SU.
It uncovered hostility, pain, memories of better times.
And it actually did it without being annoying.

Disregarding the above, WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS

What, you've never fucked a chick who was really pretending to be your dead wife?

Loneliness and attempting to cope with loss by helping someone else cope with theirs

>answer the question
>then ask it afterwards
Stop.

It was about the characters and how they dealt with loss and how they did so in often times not healthy ways. And that describes most of the show BUT HOLY SHIT THEY DID IT WITHOUT CRYING OR SINGING JESUS FUCK STOP THE PRESSES.

Can't beat the cock, so may as well choose your time of death.

No.
It was implied Greg hanged out with the Crystal Gems because Rose hanged out with the Crystal Gems, but when Rose died he stopped because the Crystal Gems - and their entire race in general - are stupid self-absorbed assholes.
It's like Greg discovered the single altruistic Gem in existence then fucked it to death.

it wasn't
>emotionally torment a man who lives outta his van and is a huge packrat because I tormented him in the past
>only stop because his son sees it
>1 clean storage locker later, all is forgiven

Being selfish and self destructive are often very closely associated traits. Look at Bojack.

Oh yeah smart guy!!! Explain this

Onion wasn't in it.

Why is that character a thing in the first place?

The ending was the best part, you don't expect Amethyst to go full gung ho and actually fucking do it

Onion represents that weird kid who isn't bad or fucked,just likes acting the way he is

It's easy to say Autisic but that's not it either, there are people who are well aware of the way they act

The tragedy of the human species, really.

Homeric, in it's own way.

Space Race, Maximum Capacity, and We Need to Talk are my favorite episodes. The Return, Mr. Greg, and Ocean Gem are also nice.

Casuals choose stuff like Jailbreak and Rose's Scabbard.

It was like the show was way better when it didn't have to stretch things out

>we need to talk
IKR? It actually discussed how difficult an interspecies relationship would be.

Amethyst was angry and jealous because she was in love with the boyfriend of her mother (Rose) and obviously she still is. But even when Rose is dead Greg cares more about Steven than her... Amethyst don't take it very well because she is a trash person and decides take advantage of Greg's guilt to abuse psychologically of him.

Man... I don't understand why Tumblr people keep defending Amethyst, she is complete bitch and the incarnation of envy itself, and the worst part is that she never improves this bad behavior, she envies Steven when he become slightly competent and she envies Jasper because she is stronger.

Hopefully development will take care of that

Bump

I don't know... we are in season 5 already... I doubt that there will be more development for this character. I think that she is supposed to be fine just like she is from the point of view of the writers even if she is a total bitch.

Amy's development was finished around the time of Tiger Philantropist.

What exactly was that development?

She got more self-esteem in herself after Smoky Quatrz/beating Jasper, and later after meeting and being accepted by the Famethyst. That was shown when Amethyst no longer felt the need to wrestle as a coping mechanism.

Self-esteem never was her problem, her problem is that she envy everyone who is better that her in any sense.

Self-esteem issues were the root of her envy problems.

Nah, that's was because she is a shit person. Envy is a bad thing sometimes a dangerous thing not a "oh poor guy" thing.

We never saw her being envious post Zoo arc, so I guess my point is closer to the truth than yours.

Why doesnt greg just fuck pearl or amythest? Its obvious the lonliness and lack of sex must be gut wrenching, and doing nothing but jacking off in your van would drive any sane man to suicide. Hes got two possible options for fuckbuddys and for all we know hes wasting them. Is this a maturity thing that i dont understand, because the first thing id do if the love of my life died is drown my sorrows in pussy.

That's because Greg doesn't want to stick his dick in crazy, plus he's already fucking Barb.

Jailbreak is just shut and Rose's Scabbard is highly overrated. Mr. Greg is easily the best episode in the series though. Nothing else even comes close.

People have been saying that shit for almost every character. At this point anyone that isn't Pearl isn't going to get any sort of good character development, the show loves the status quo too much.

No, she didn't. The entire point of Know Your Fusion was to show that both Amethyst and Steven still suffer from self-esteem issues, it's the reason they were able to fuse to begin with.

Know Your Fusion was before meeting Famethyst.

That still feels like you're reaching there. Nothing in that episode implied that she was wrestling for the sake of boosting her ego, rather she quit because she knew the audience would turn on her eventually.

That was implied in the previous episodes/

Episode in OP and The Test are my favorites. Can't get enough of them.

>Amethyst now
Ugh, I know. It truly hurts. She was my favorite character before.

Simplifying a complicated situation and taking it out of context only makes yourself look stupid.

no female writers

>Hey, I murdercocked your boss, wanna have a go?

It's too bad that CN fucking hates this show because it has some good moments, and a pretty interesting story.

>fastforward a bit more
>get confidence boost from knowing all the other amethysts and whatever else from the zoo thing
>jasper got bubbled and amethyst... supposedly developed past the pity party.

i dunno.

>implying he won't eventually

>Simplifying a complicated situation and taking it out of context only makes yourself look stupid

Not that user, but it's not like the show deserves any less, because the episode itself was simplifying a complicated subject. It brought it up, only to promptly sweep it under the rug and never mention it again. That's a glaring problem a lot of the show has, except when it gets to Pearl because she's the obvious creator's pet. But most issues will never get past the surface before they get rid of it and pretend it never happened.

Island Adventure is also a good example of this. Sadie emotionally manipulated Lars, only for it to just get ignored altogether. It didn't even hinder their relationship in the slightest, nor was there any sort of closure. The show WANTS to tackle more mature subjects, but doesn't have the slightest idea on how to handle them in a satisfying way.

That's not Mr. Greg.

>the episode itself was simplifying a complicated subject
There's nothing to simplify. It was presenting Greg's and Amethyst's unique relationship. It started by exploring their attitude toward one another, then presented us with a base for their friendship (which turned out to have less shallow roots), and continued to give us glimpses of the past state of things.

>only to promptly sweep it under the rug and never mention it again
The culmination was a powerful moment that had a lot more going on below the surface. Greg was familiar with this type of Amethyst's behavior, he knew what to expect and explained his predicament. He understood why Amethyst was doing what she was doing,
Greg still wanted to be friends with her. Amethyst felt the same way, so she showed him that by the next morning's gestures. They've reached a mutual understanding without having to say much, because it's an old wound that she opened and also she demonstrated that she's ashamed for it.
They continue to show their friendship in further episodes.

There's a consensus on Island Adventure having a bad resolution, and it's not representative of the show as a whole.

>traumatizes a guy by taking the shape of his dead wife
>makes up for it by cleaning out the garage
>"good"

they were old friends and what she did wasn't really new. it means amethyst is a really shit friend tho desu

>The culmination was a powerful moment that had a lot more going on below the surface

You are giving the show far too much credit by inventing things that was never actually shown in the episode itself. Even if that was what it was going for, it did a very poor job of doing so. Simply having them TALK the problem out instead of quietly ignore it would've been a much more ideal situation, especially since that's exactly what Greg did with Pearl in Mr. Greg. It would've at the very least given Amethyst a chance of being more sympathetic. The whole episode was poorly written all around, yet your bias allows you to think otherwise through sheer headcannon.

Like Greg didn't bang her in that form

>things that are implied are headcanon
>analyzing is inventing things
>it's poorly done because I said so
>everything needs to be said explicitly, subtlety belongs out the window

This show was never subtle, what the hell are you even on about? This is the same show that has pic related for fucks sake. What I'm saying is, if Amethyst and Greg made amends, then they need to fucking SHOW that, to the point where there's no confusion over it. You can't just gloss over shit like that and expect people to like it. Again, you are giving a show that is normally as subtle as a sledgehammer a pass solely out of bias.

There IS no confusion. And you're judging an episode based only other episodes.

>There IS no confusion

There obviously is, considering this thread and the countless time peoples pointed it out in other sites. The consensus is that it wasn't handled very well.

Is it really confusion,
Or is it just people not liking the resolution?

That's not the state at all. People think Amethyst is an asshole and Greg is too forgiving

Why can't it be both exactly?

Because it's pretty obvious what happened.

Did you want them to recite exactly what they did wrong and then write a letter to the princess about it?

It's a bummer the CN only cares about Nielsen ratings and refuse to see anything else.

nope, not the cock

Bump