Bionicle comics

Anyone here read these back when they came out?

Issue 1: June 2001

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vaLX6pRtM8I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ehhhhh.... nostalgia
I want to kill myself now

I looked forward to Lego Magazine every month just for this

Yes. I remember waiting for it, and there were some delays. Damn, I was hyped for that comic in a very unhealthy way, especially that I owned the original series 1 figures

I had the original figures too, and was weirdly obsessed with the franchise as a whole for a long time

My obsession was kinda cut down for various reason, but I still remember it fondly

I started getting the series right when the Bohrak-Kal came around.
Then I continued right to the end and still have most of them in a gold lego briefcase in my garage.

Issue 2: July 2001

Sorry about the resolution on these. I'm sure better copies exist out there but these are the only ones I have

I got out of it around the age where I felt I was "too old" for toys. Somewhere around or just after the Metru-Nui saga.

I wish I had kept all my Lego stuff. Sadly it went to various garage sales over the years

Same with me.

Anyone remembers Slizers? They were superior collection IMO.

Damn, now I checked them, and they were called Throwbots in USA

>Sadly it went to various garage sales over the years
My parents were the type that thought "Oh one of your toys might me worth something one day, don't throw it away", so they all just got boxed and tucked away.
I still want to dig out Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo and Takanuva and his speeder bike.

Had to look it up, but after doing so I do remember seeing them in stores/magazines. Never owned any myself though

Though I swear to god for like, 5 minutes at the start they were Slizers over here too.

They were great. They were the first action figures at Lego. After them, they were RoboRiders, and due to popularity, they evolved into Bionicle.

I own all Slizers and RoboRiders, and only the first wave Bionicle, without enemies.

Slizers were slightly better, because they had a simpler storyline, and it was easy to think of your own. There were two waves of Slizer toys: 1st wave with 8 toys, each different element area, and 2nd wave, after massive meteorite hitting their planet and creating some mutant Slizers.

Issue 3: October 2001

This will likely be the last issue I'll be posting for now, I may be back to post more later if the thread happens to still be around

No prob. It's still sweet to go down this memory lane

I really like how they look nothing like humans, unlike in the movies
they look just like the toys and that's great

slicers were dumb. Bionicle was a straight upgrade in every way

was never interested in those ugly toys or anything related. but I always wondered why are they called bionicle? there is nothing optically biological in them. Just skimmed through wiki and it states that they are bio-mechanical. Still can't see anything bio about them... someone care to explain?

portmanteau of biological and chronicle iirc

thx, but that is not really an answer to my question. what is biological about them?

bionicle universe was inspired by the creator's struggle with some disease if I remember correctly
he had some kind of dream where there was an entire universe inside his body, and the pills he was taking were really canisters containing warriors sent to fight the disease
that's why he named it biological chronicles, the Mata Nui being the universe thing was a thing from the very beginning, it just wasn't revealed until many years later

Not really anything, so biological got ret-conned into bio-mechanical

You know I was never into Evanescence in middle school but I was into this so I might as well have

youtube.com/watch?v=vaLX6pRtM8I

thats interesting. is he somehow related to Osmosis Jones? probably not.

>biological got ret-conned into bio-mechanical
well, thats still means there should be something biological to them. either an organic components or the tech posesses tome degree of bio-life complexity, i.e. some nano-machinery cells or smth

The Barraki are different though. They were mutated by the waters of The Pit. So powerful it even turned their armour/skin into real flesh. Making them 100% biological. Like Pinocchio, but with psychopathic warlords who planned to kill their God.
And Bohrok, who're just the mechanical remnants of dead and metamorphosed Av-Matoran. And there's something about Krana being biological but I don't have any evidence.
And all the Rahi and wildlife is just the creation and invention of every Makuta.
And the Glatorian and Agori? 100% biological. Outright. Everyone else is/was made out of Protodermis. Except all Makuta, who're made of Antidermis.

ah, ok... not that all those names say something to me, but I think I get the picture now...

It's always been written that many of the characters have organic parts, it's just never depicted in the toys because plastic. The original three CG movies depicted this by having muscle tissue visible on the characters.