Kappa mikey

How does it hold up after all these years?

I don't know since I haven't watched it since 2008. I do remember that back then, it wasn't really one of my favorites. I was watching Nicktoons Network for Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, and CatDog reruns at that time.

It doesn't
It's a meme

I could almost see it as nick ripping off Futurama, but was it really that bad?

i didnt see the appeal after like 3 episodes. the "american thick-outlined 4-finger simple-drawing character" goes to "Anime Land" for a tv show role. in some ways it did feel like a futurama rip-off, but instead of learning about the future, Not-Fry just learned about japan, but without the parodic tone. and people rave about the Pillows theme song, but i dont see what's so hot about that or them

Mitsuki farting for an entire episode is still good.

The theme song is still just as killer.

Not saying the show is amazing, but I liked it after I watched more anime and started getting the references and what they were trying to parody. It's also fun if you recognize the VA's. I think it still holds up well.

>The Pillows
It's the fucking Beat Crusaders you uncultured shit eating swine.

Lots of wasted potential. Mickey should have been a full blown toon capable of surviving anything and used for slapstick like 90% of toons do.

>Mickey
Mikey... fuck.

Another great idea totally squandered. They don't do fucking anything with the joke of the series of any substance. Half of the time it's not even Mikey's western sensibilities that get them into and out of trouble, which should be the entire point.

It's just disappointing. It's clear whoever wrote it doesn't know or care to know all too much about western animation or anime.

Maybe I'm just mad.

The theme song is the best part.

who?

Good. I refused to believe the Pillows would ever do anything so shitty.

That doesn't make any sense since they did Fooly Cooly.

Great premise but nickelodeon shelved it like any other series that isn't spongebob

Not all that well, though it's not entirely terrible. Its biggest problem was that the pacing in most episodes was just horrendously lopsided. Sometimes the plot would do a bunch of things that could have made up 2-3 episodes and just crams them all into the 22 minutes, while others just padded out a simpler plot with loads of unconnected jokes. For example, the pilot episode feels like it could have been at least 20 minutes longer to make the introduction of everyone feel more organic. Have Mikey get thrust into the spotlight and actually turn out a surprising performance to save Lily-mu and THEN have his bighead moment from the newfound fame. As it was, it felt like a condensed pilot where the plot was moving like a poorly-made rollercoaster.

Hear it in the air and on streeeet!

It's off-key, but to the beeeaaat!

Grab the mic and sing your paaaart!

Come on, pal! It's in your heeeeeaaaaaaart!

THIS

DONT YOU SEE THAT MAN IS KAPPA MIKEY

Kappa Mikey is the best anime parody ever.

Were there Jojo references in Kappa Mikey?

I like it.
What is Guano? Some episodes he's treated like a guy in a fursuit and others he's treated as if he's not. Also human legs don't bend that way.

Honestly if the pilot was anything to go by, it should've been on MTV.

It's dated and rough around the edges but still enjoyable.

Or at least given a better budget. Seriously, the show had potential in its "east meets west" dynamic. While a few times Mikey tried to act anime, there wasn't enough instances to really show how he could do expressions the others couldn't, while they in turn could do things a cartoon couldn't.

The premise is good but neutered by the choice of Network, I would've killed for them to go all out for a harem anime parody episode or something.

Kappa Mikey ended it's run in 2008, and the only JoJo anime that came out since the shitty OVA was released in 2012, so no.

Eh, it was fine being family-friendly. And not like they couldn't have pushed some envelopes, Nick had allowed some of their shows to get away with shit here and there over the years. If anything, it was the writing that needed a serious boost. It needed to be both more self-aware of the pros and cons that both forms of animation bring, and have their clashing differences play into both the visuals and stories at times. I could easily see one episode where Mikey struggles to act more anime, maybe even trying to get halfway by learning about French-anime stuff, but then failing and sticking to his natural toon stuff.

It's shown in later episodes that it's a suit but we never see what he looks like

Wish they had done an episode where they go to Europe. Lily expects to meet handsome bishie guys in Europe but they end up meeting characters who look like TinTin and Spirou,,,

>each country has characters resembling animations from those places
That could have been fun. Hell, Mikey could have been ashamed of his more mundane tooness, while the rest of the cast are enamored by Disney-esque cartoons.

As people previously have stated the entire premise is squandered and they barely do anything with it.

Its honestly it was just more anime wank off material that infested western television during the anime boom

>that guy a few threads ago claiming he knew someone that worked on this and explained just how many corners they cut

I don't know, it barely even felt like wank most of the time. Yea, you had some homages, but nothing that felt like a celebration or love letter to those works, just "hey, it's Speed Racer as a middle-aged fat man with a kid's voice!" and not much else.

Go on...