The Final Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman

Hola, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've never read this one but since I'm about to leave for my cousin's wedding, I felt it'd be appropriate. (You'll see why).

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

This issue is located in the Gerry Conway folder.

This digital coloring job is... not too pretty.

It's supposed to be red skies, guys, not pink

Is it just me, or are these armors a little bit Kirby-esque?

Definitely gonna have to post the short Mindy Newell run that came before this later on.

Hey, Tex.

So this was the obligatory send off before the reboot. Neat.

Pre-Nu52 runs sure as fuck didn't give anyone a proper send off. Just goes to further show what a fuckin' mess it was.

Oh hey, it's Mobius. :^)

My new wallpaper

Yup, they were pretty much rushing the New 52 out the door and didn't care what the fans thought. Crisis was a huge risk for DC and they were really scared of pissing off longtime fans.

Yeah, the last Pre-Crisis arcs were great, shit got real everywhere. In the Superman comics, Steve Gerber let loose the Phantom Zone criminals on Metropolis and the whole city ended up as rubble.

And of course there's the legendary story that Alan Moore picked up Julie Schwartz by the neck and told him he would kill him if he didn't let him write the final pre-Crisis Superman story, of which Alan Moore later said something like "It doesn't matter if that's what actually happened or not, because Julie Schwartz told it, and Julie's stories are better than the truth"

Man just LOOK at that robot plane design. I see now where Byrne's design got its inspiration.

No joke, one of the cats just started playing with the mouse and almost uploaded a picture of himself I had in another folder to this thread. Weird coincidence.

I wonder how much, if any, of Perez's Wondie had been come up with by this time.

I really, really want to slap anyone who says the Invisible Jet is lame. Seriously, for all the bitching and moaning about how comics stopped being "fun", everyone sure seems determined to slap down all the crazy awesome shit that's iconic of certain characters.

Unless it's Batman of course, he's allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants, and everyone eats that shit up.

It's a twofold problem, because people who want Wondie to be more like Superman don't like because flight makes it redundant (which I disagree with), and people who want her to be mythologically rooted don't like it because it's technology.

One of the reasons I think the movie was so successful was that it embraced things that are iconic to Wondie, like the lasso and the Diana Prince identity and Steve Trevor. So I hope they go further with that in the sequel with the invisible jet and throwing the tiara and maybe even spinning into her costume.

What if it had bird wings instead of plane wings? Daedalus and all that.

And what better way to get casual comics fans to accept something than to put it in a movie?

I think the Yanick Paquette design in Earth One is the best mix of looking kind of magical/mythological while still being a practical piece of technology.

I can't say I'm familiar with Atalantan Amazons. I'll have to do some research on them.

I've got a long flight, maybe I should load some more Bronze Age Wondie on my tablet.

>people who want her to be more lime Superman
Which makes less than no sense. The only reason you'd want that is if you gave a shit about power levels, which is one of the many cancers infecting comic books.

>MUH GREEK MYTH
Just like how literally everything Superman should be about Krypton, and literally everything Batman should be MUH DEAD PARENTS. I truly hate these "people", these reductionist morons who can't fathom variety or nuance. Fuck those twats.

>invisible jet in the movie
I doubt it, but that would make the movie a 10/10 for me.

Yeah, they are a bit. Especially middle, top right and the three in the close-up. The helmets are rad actually.

You're a cool guy, Cranky.

Trevor as much of a babe as he's ever been in the upper right panel there.

Colleen Doran probably does not agree m8.

Explain

And appropriately her final battle is with the god of war.

>sister tribes
I wish this was more of a thing. Yeah, there's the Bana, but I'd love to see tribes from all over the world. Imagine Chinese Amazons, or Icelandic Amazons. That'd be pretty damn cool.

... Odyssey of the Amazons was such a let down.

Julie Schwartz was an alleged harasser. Colleen Doran claimed he had molested her in the back of a limousine when she was a teenager.

Really surprised you haven't heard of this one.

Was about to say Odyssey attempted that and failed miserably.

Kore is 1) my fave Greek goddess 2) the best design here 3) this Hades/Persephone dynamic is extremely WW comic.

Strangely enough I haven't heard of that. But honestly from what I know of the guy it doesn't sound out of character. Older guys from that time were fairly scummy.

And to be fair as we were discussing in the JSA thread with Lovecraft being a scumbag does not invalidate your good works.

... And on a lighter note, wedding!

:')

Thanks for reading

Thanks for the storytime. Hope your cuz has a great day.

Thanks for posting, Tex.

This was a pretty solid sendoff to Wondy's first continuity. Wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Again, certainly more than the Nu52 bothered with.

bump

Whoever does most of these digital recolours seems to fucking love magenta

I'm guessing they go off the original color guides but the bright magenta ink they used back then would look a lot darker in print. When you use digital coloring obviously you're not dealing with ink and paper so colors come out as exactly what you put down against a pure white background.

If so that points to the recolorings of these Wondie issues as being a bit amateurish as a more experienced restoration artist would know that you can't look at the color guides literally, you have to interpret what color the colorist was meaning to represent.