Season 21 speculation thread

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/south-park-creators-look-past-rough-trump-season-fresh-start-1034560

"We would always talk about how great it is
because on South Park, one week it can be about the kids and then the next week it is about Garrison and then the next week it is about Randy," he said. "And that's what I really miss."

So, what will be in this season? Well, Parker said he was a fan of Cartman having a significant other, Heidi Turner, which showed a new side to the usually foul-mouthed, angry, fat kid.

"We don't want her to go away," Parker said. "But, I really liked in the end that he was now a dude stuck in a relationship."

I don't know about you guys but I really like the idea of cartman having a female character to play off of that isn't wendy. it could make for some new and interesting situations while potentially bringing back cartmans more evil side.

The last two seasons were great, where did this "rough patch" bullshit come from?

>last season was great

Member when season 20 was critically panned? I member.

19 was good but 20 was just really average. It had some good episodes but over all it was just a little tiring to watch, I think it's because of the whole switch they had to do with making the series built around Hillary winning the election.

>"We would always talk about how great it is
because on South Park, one week it can be about the kids and then the next week it is about Garrison and then the next week it is about Randy," he said. "And that's what I really miss."

Then why the story arcs?

The most likely answer being "its easier", I suppose.

I think they just wanted to try out the storyline format to challenge themselves, it worked for a couple seasons but it really backfired on season 20.

the serialization works if it's done as an over arching plot with stand alone episodes only referencing previous episodes in the series or with some events carrying over but like and said season 20 fucked it up with it being the main focus and making the whole series about hillary winning the election

Prior to the story arcs, they had 18 seasons of episodic stories. And some of their best ones ended up being trilogies (Coon, ImaginationLand, Sony vs Xbox). Maybe they felt if they had a whole season to work with, they could pump out 13 consecutive episodes of Coon trilogy quality.

I'm willing to forgive them being experimental given the vast amount of seasons they've had of doing the same thing.

I hope they tear this hellholle of a site a new one.

What, Sup Forums?

Shut up Boco

The season with the GoT console war parody was the best in years despite the shitty ending with Pewdiepie not being ripped a new asshole.

>making the whole series about hillary winning the election
someone remind, why did they think that was a good idea?

>Season 21

What the fuck is wrong with the USA?

19 was great and got the right balance between having each ep stand alone while still having a nice arc
20 was boring and suffered a lot from having a continuous plotline that was made up as it went along
The episodes don't work by themselves so the only way to get enjoyment out of them is to care about what is happening, which I found tough given the meandering nature of it all
It still had its comedic moments but it's the weakest season overall

because it worked for them when they made the obama election episode I guess. Plus they didn't believe meme magic would influence the election.

19 was doing great but completely fell apart when they couldn't coherently tie things together to accentuate their point. In fact they just got lazy and forgot what their point was. People will jump through hoops to say Matt Trey planned it perfectly and there's more to it, but this is all shit they spitball during lunch. What you see is what you get.

20 was a huge mess.

Because serialized season-long storytelling is fashionable now, so Parker and Stone decided a few years ago that they were going to do what was fashionable and have season-long arcs.

It's sort of been a lesson in why season-long storytelling isn't automatically better than standalone episodes, and can sometimes be much worse if you're stuck with a season story that isn't working.

Matt and Trey want to do more, and Comedy Central is happy to oblige.

Become nobody expected Trump to win who didn't vote for him, a lot of the people who did vote for Trump didn't expect him to actually win either. Love him or hate him, he was a dark horse who pulled off a spectacular upset. If you have bet on him, you would have won big because the odds were not good according to almost everyone.

Matt and Trey probably, like most people, figured it was Hillery they were going to making fun of and criticizing for the next 4 to 8 years.

They thought they could do a full season long story while sticking to their 7-day production schedule. It's just impossible to run that marathon like that.

They were just trying something new, it was influenced by the serialized prestige shows that have been on this decade like Breaking Bad, GoT, etc.
I think they found out firsthand that kind of storytelling only works if you plan out the whole thing in advance and give it good pacing and a defined dramatic thrust
S20 was just a bunch of shit thrown on top of each other with no real direction or underlaying narrative structure

Dudes, 19 wasn't good either, the whole forgotten and switched plot point ideas were bad.

>last two seasons were great
The only good thing from the last two seasons was Tweek x Craig. What are the chances that they'll be more gay episodes this new season?

>I think it's because of the whole switch they had to do with making the series built around Hillary winning the election.

That's what killed it for me. I did enjoy the season up until the episode where they declared that Hillary won & then 2 weeks later Trump won the election. I feel like if you're going to have a plot point based around a real life event like an election where someone else could win it, you should have a contingency plan in case the other guy wins. Because they didn't have that, the gender wars got pushed to the sideline & Bill Clinton's line at the end of the Post-Election episode just felt like "This is what we were gonna do if Hillary had won."

OP here, so what does everyone thing of heidi becoming a possible main foil/accomplice to cartman? How will this effect his relationship with the other main 3/The girls?

I liked it because:
A). It was very funny
B). I can get enjoyment from the individual element on their own merits

The writing is of course sloppy in places given their timetable but not enough to make me angry or bother nitpicking when I'm too busy laughing at the jokes.
Easier to do with 20 because it was just so dull

They probably figured it'd make things easier.

Instead of starting from scratch and making a whole new episode in six days every week, they have an overarcing plot that can be split into smaller chunks, saving them alot of time.

>element
*episodes
don't know how that happened

I honestly wonder if 20 would've been better if the election didn't throw off their plot or if it would've been disappointing either way.

He is a kid, an actual uneducated kid, case closed

It was already getting long-winded and tedious
But maybe it wouldn't have felt quite so horribly messy and botched

We probably would have gotten closure at the very least.

Now, if the closure was also funny, we'll never know.

I can seriously see them bringing up Pepe somehow, wouldn't be the first time they made an episode about memes.

They were definitely pulling a gender war angle that didn't really work out, what with Bill Clinton and all that. The Troll Trace thing wasn't really going anywhere either way, but maybe it would've had some impact with Hillary.

what boggles me is that they avoided this with the 2012 election by planning for both outcomes. But then 2016 comes and they only count on their favorite winning? the hell?

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

2012 (and 2008) were episodic seasons, and they've stated that most of the plot was pre-written and they just shifted a few things around based on who won. Helps that said plots weren't really political beyond the election gimmick, while season 20 was aiming for something candidate-specific (the girls getting pissed at the guys and Hillary fucking their shit up).

In their defense, almost nobody who wasn't a hardcore Trump fan prior to November 8th seriously thought that he would win the election. It was simply easier to assume that Hillary would win since Trump seemed to have the odds against him.

It would be good if they made it so Cartman manipulates her and she becomes a second butters while butters stays as this kind of 'thug' character

Butters got too grumpy in season 20.

He should be the happy, optimistic ray of light in the darkness that is South Park.

If they are still going with the smart part of the smart and funny angle, I dont know if she would be easily manipulated like that. maybe them trying to manipulate each other could be interesting though.

Butters being a bottom bitch I feel just doesn't work for the character anymore considering he's now done all this crazy insane shit. Heidi needs to be the new bottom bitch for Cartman because Butters going back to being a little faggot just wouldn't work.
Also take of that fucking tripcode you ball licker.

DON'T FORGET FUNNY, SHE'S ALSO REALLY REALLY FUNNY

most mainstream sources still gave him about a 25% chance of wining. So that means Mat/Trey willingly bet against an event which would happen 1/4 of the time, else it would ruin their entire plotline.

What a shitty plan.

Don't forget that these are the same guys that took a fucking cube of acid and went to the Oscars straight after

I thought the joke was that Heidi isn't smart in the normal sense of the word and is only useful because of that emoji analysis shit

Kenny dies.

It's a wonderful night, Joan.

Just a truly magical night

I liked their old Hillary Clinton before the last season.
Did they even call her Hilldog once in the last season?

I think the most exciting prospect is we might get another Coon trilogy to lead into Fracture But Whole, like they did with Black Friday and Stick of Truth.

I like how 19 and 20 suffered from the same problems but people curiously disliked 20 more.
Was it Trump?

No, it just ended with a shitload of plot threads still dangling.

No, get rid of Heidi

19's episodes were a lot more funny and distinct
20 was just less enjoyable to watch

It wouldn't, because it would still have, at most, a trilogy worth of content stretched into ten episodes.

Season 19 still had a format of standalone episodes. They just had continuity nods that lead into a final arc.
Season 20 on the other hand, was pretty much a movie, a boring directionless movie that didn't know what to do with its plot.

Even people who were hardcore Trump fans were ready to call hack on Hillary after she won. There were literally zero people who thought it would happen because everything was stacked against him.

Season 19 and 20 were very different seasons, user.

shame the simpsons never adopted that format. really could've had something special. instead we would up with a slightly above average sitcom.

Yeah, they should give that a try at this point.

>modern simpsons
>slightly above average sitcom

Thats being generous.

Those were two different seasons

GOT console war was season 17. Pewdiepie was season 18.

But she's smart, and she's funny.

Shut up, Boco.

They could always mock her spectacular failure of a campaign

>post yfw they were so burned by Season 20 that we get an entire season of Terrence and Philip

i wouldn't really know how to react

i'd probably watch it anyways tho

imaginationland was awful.

Its not the best multi-parter, but its far from awful.

There really is far more fodder on the left of American politics than the right, these days.

With Trump and all the Republicans, what can you say? It's all a terrible farce, but the farce is self-evident. It reminds me of that Penny Arcade strip, all those years ago, about Doom 3. The Republicans are so self-evidently corrupt, evil, and buffoonish that it's almost not worth the energy to mock them, and the mockery isn't all that far from reality anyway. Like the Penny Arcade strip said, it's like trying to make fun of a clown. What's the point?

Meanwhile, the Democrats are eminently mockable simply because they're so fucking ridiculous in Trump's America. They're talking about opposition! They're launching web ads and polling people about bumper stickers! They're having intra-party bitchfests and bickering amongst themselves! The Republicans aren't fiddling while Rome burns, they're the ones setting the fires. But the Democrats are fiddling away.

ImaginationLand was pretty hype when it first aired. It doesn't hold up as well compared to Coon or Console Wars arcs.

Most news sources had him at 13%-ish up until a few days before the episode would have started production.

Would you Sup Forums?

So Parker is a Heiman fan? And he wants to use it to mess with Cartman? OP you just made my day.

>south park has 20 seasons
where the hell does the time go?

I'm glad I could help

I found myself asking that when the Blockbuster episode aired.

She barley made any jokes

>Heidi was brought in to parody praising women
>they're not getting rid of her as that status to cartman despite the politics being dropped
if they keep it going it's not going to be a parody it's just going to be it

Girls are funny, get over it

They can be, but they'd have to actually attempt the part to be in it. I know you're quoting but it pisses me off she was just a smart cunt investigating everything but they kept attempting to say she was funny

Oh, well that season was fun until that shit.

They're always funny and also smart, get over yourself

I forget if this was ever resolved but didn't Cartman go full "Man milking machines" at the end of the season? If he still feels that way why wouldn't they keep that going?

Did you not see the last episode of season 20? Cartman seems to actively resent Heidi now

Rewatch the ending. Cartman resents Heidi and even told Butters that he can't be without her now regardless.

I think it could be interesting. A way to kind of reign Cartman in since he's been almost too insane the last few season, while also making it so when he wants to do one of his evil schemes he has to be more crafty about it.

I agree, I found it pretty funny

The troll shit played itself out 3 episodes in

Just a total mess of a season

Season 19 was a lot of fun. Can't say same about season 20. I'm really excited to see what Matt and Trey will do now.

I though Fractured but Whole got delayed to next year, is it really coming out next month?

>Because serialized season-long storytelling is fashionable now
I think it has more to do with working on Stick of Truth, which storyline is pretty much a season long, than being fashionable

The Kyle sucks Cartman balls subplot is way better than the main story

20 was a pretty rough season.

It helps they felt they had to scrap their plans for the season part way through since against all odds Trump won the election and they wrote the story around Hillary winning.

Season 20 was mostly garbage because they repeated the same boring jokes every episode, included several cliff hangers to keep the plot going that never got resolved and because they had bullshit conflict that made the characters go out of character.

Just so many things did not make any sense, including Heidi and Cartman's relationship. Matt and Trey could not decide whether they supported the trolls or not (even after someone committed suicide because of one). The girls were in the right in their conflict as any normal person would probably want to break up with guys that actively laugh and shares pictures of people bullying you, your mom and friends but for some reason they presented the girls as being wrong, probably to keep the boys vs girls plot going that went nowhere.

Traps are gay

This