Orthodoxy or Protestantism: Which is superior?

Christfags please discuss. Catholics need not reply

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-of-england-bishop-comes-out-as-gay-after-sunday-newspaper-threatens-to-reveal-his-sexuality-a7222941.html
ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyheterodoxy
catholic.com/tracts/whats-your-authority
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Catholicism

ATHEISTM!

catolicismo es la respuesta

Protestantism obviously.
However orthodoxy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Catholics

How can you claim to know the path to salvation when after 2000 years you can't even figure out amongst yourselves which denomination is correct?

What are we supposed to reply with...? We believe Christ died and rose from the dead, any questions"?

Old Believer Russian Orthodoxy is the one true church and ultimate red pill.

Catholicism

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-of-england-bishop-comes-out-as-gay-after-sunday-newspaper-threatens-to-reveal-his-sexuality-a7222941.html

Are you 15?

Orthodoxs are catholic, you fool

Just comparing the music they use in worship, you can see Orthodox is an ancient religion, and Protestantism is just a lame fluff club. Orthodoxy has a continuous tradition, we pick up right where the Bible leaves off, with Fathers who were the direct students of the Apostles, and great spiritual elders and martyrs and miracles from then all the way to today.

By "Catholics" he obviously means Papists

reformed protestant

Daily reminder.

In terms of the fruits of the churches, orthodoxy for sure.
Orthodoxy provides a very solid foundation that Protestantism just replaces with chaos.
Proties also advocate positions, though orthodoxy maintains similar versions that are better thought out and protected by tradition, that lead to negative moral behavior as well as generally allowing people free reign in terms of how they practice and understand the word.
They often get upset with the idea of salvation through works as it is in orthodoxy (even though minimal research will show it's simply an aspect of faith, and that works alone do nothing.) Actually applying/living the way the bible proposes is offensive to them in some way.

Every decent person in Catholicism is part of tiny traditionalist latin churches that are just weird outsiders
post-Vatican 2 the church has been in a pretty quick decay

>My beleifs are whatever I can read into this book and nothing else matters, and the fact literally everyone else uses this as justification for literally everything doesn't matter to me at all.
>I also know more then the apostles

Problem is every criticism you dont' know if it applies to that persons actual church because there are so many and none of it makes any sense, you guys all seem to get autistic over the same couple things though. (Things that are pretty easily dismissed once you do minimal research)
The true path has been around for 2000 years what are you talking about

Todays catholic church is worse than all of them.

Orthodoxy is less cucked

>southern baptist flag
>openly homosexual / women clergy
you are bearing false witness, repent

WELL WELL WELL...

Both shit
Catholicism 4 life

Really makes you think.

Calvinism is destroying them all

Protestants aren't Christian.

A Christian is, by definition, someone who belongs to a Church founded by Christ. That means Orthodox and Catholic. (And maybe, if we're really stretching things, the Eastern Churches.)

Protestants belong to churches founded by Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Henry VIII, etc.; anybody but Christ.

You guys like your scripture right :)
7 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Accept your tradition consists of heresy and deviants, though from the baptists I've seen they view monks dedicating all they can to god as negatively as a sodomite.

Their fundamental ideas promote and endorse heresies, and are victim to the same western concepts that led to the state of the roman church. They threw away the tradition, but maintained the outlook.
REMINDER: if you endorse sola scriptura acknowledge the fruits of your labors in all the degenerate heresies, the loss of faith in the west, and the current turning of morality on it's head we see. It is all the consequence of throwing away the body of christ.

Many protestant churches can't even claim they were founded by anyone from as far back as those.

>Catholics need not reply

Orthodox is catholics retarded brother , protestant but then you have a 100 denominations

Orthodoxy = Bible plus traditional concepts based on a contextual interpretation of Scripture that is formulated by a consensus of theological/historical experts where fundamentals are maintained

Protestantism = 5 Sola where fundamentals are maintained, but with an eclectic contextual interpretation of Scripture by millions of "Bishops"/self-described experts.

Deviate from fundamentals, historical and contextual concepts of Scripture then prepare for confusion, division, and bondage.

There is more freedom in Protestantism, but with more chances to get context wrong/led astray. Christ and His disciples kept pounding the idea of testing Spirits and evaluating actions. If the Orthodoxy starts deviating, leave, if a Preacher/denomination begins deviating, leave. In the end, it's all up to the individual.

True even during the era where you needed an "appointment" to look over the Scriptures and was not taught to read or study Latin/Hebrew/Greek. You could take someone who you trusted and knew how to read.

Chirstianity was stolen by rome for 1500 years , so its only 500 years

You meant to say Catholicism is Orthodoxy's retarded brother. No worries mang I got your back

Sedevacantist Catholicism is the most superior form of Christianity.

Orthodox are edgy butthurt faggots
Protestants are LITERAL FUCKING HERETICS

C A T H O L I C 4 L Y F

False and heresy! Catholics are not orthodox, because the Orthodox say that man has a right to choose pope, when in reality god chooses who is pope. ergo Catholics are the true Christians.

Protestantism is Germanic, automatically making it superior. But Christian Identity is most superior.

I think op means today's catholic is retarded. It is.

Hard question, I'm protestant but i very much see the faults in it, such as high number of young people slipping away from faith, lack of respect for Christians in the past who fought for the freedoms they have today and Doctrines being formed left right and center, creating more tensions between churches.

Don't really know how our Orthodox brothers fair up against these problems but im sure they do it alot better

CAN converts please stop speaking in the name of Orthodoxy.
Seeing that tranny make orthodox threads every fucking day and speaking in the name of orthodoxy
and projecting her vision into what that trans faggot says or any other convert for that matter makes me sick.

Please stop.

Well Novus ordo Catholics yes, but traditional Catholics no.

Orthodoxy doesn't promote celibacy so it's inferior by default

The fuck i care man they both have the same retarded belief, saints ,mary , orthodox came from when rome splitted to east and west . the Roman catholic church is the mother church and that is were all our churches come from ,most doctrine from the protestant also comes from the catholics , the roman catholic church is the cancer we never cut away.

And can people shut up about the Bible without understanding it.

THE CHURCH existed before the Bible. For a long ass time. The first council of Nicea didn;t even address the issue of the Bible.

Also the Bible was composed and the works chosen to be in it were chosen to have a clear message of the Trinity as in the Creed.
The creed was before the bible

Why the fuck do protestant interpret the Trinity or orther stuff they way they want to is beyond me.
The works put in the Bible were chosen to send one message not so many interpretations and shit.

>Protestantism is Germanic, automatically making it superior. But Christian Identity is most superior.

Superior at what? Destroying Europe and then being reduced to a bunch of squabbling sects? Truly the superior Germanic way.

Constantine is fucking hilarious desu. But really, the US converts just don't understand how culturally ingrained religious identites in certain European countries, especially regarding the Catholic/Orthodox divide. You won't persuade a Pole to convert to the religion of the Russians or vice versa.

Fpbp

>Why the fuck do protestant interpret the Trinity or orther stuff they way they want to is beyond me.

Trinity is not in scripture its a human invention , a almighty god has a system what we cannot understand , stop calling it trinity

Anything BUT cucktolicism.

Orthodoxy is the closest to the early christian religion.

Catholics have far more changed doctrine compared to them.

Urgh.
The word bible also isn't in the bible.

I understand rather little of orthodoxy, having never met an orthodox follower myself.

Yeah a very general term, I know.

I didn't realize the ties to Catholicism, but to clarify i was specifically referring to modern Catholicism.

On the topic of protestants, it seems some denominations believe it is up to the individual to interpret the bible, and others such as the Free Reformed take a much less liberal approach and follow the teachings more closely.

Leading on to Catholicism, it seems odd that you should accept someone else's interpretation and their claim that it is true. What makes an elder of some description or even a pope a reliable leader? I question if that is reasonable.

I am genuinely curious as I have attended multiple services and have protestant/catholic friends, but am not a follower. I don't really have any inner desire for faith.

R O M A N

C A T H O L I C I S M

that pic is irrelevant . did you read my post?

your concept of God is still that of a Zeus or other gods you learned in mythology.

Puritanism

Good job ignoring what I acutally said

All those groups are people who already have some preference and using scripture to reinforce it post hoc

People who are more conservative will be parts of more conservative groups, and the opposite is true as well. The same underlining principals permits both of these.

(Roman Catholics also have tons of problems and I never claimed otherwise)

>I understand rather little of orthodoxy, having never met an orthodox follower myself.

It is VERY different from western Christianity and might be interesting to look into, or just attend a service/talk to a priest to get a better look. It would likely be interesting.

>modern Catholicism
Just call it roman, or to specify modern post vatican 2

> it seems some denominations believe it is up to the individual to interpret the bible
No this is pretty much all of them it's the fundamental part of Protestantism.

the 5 solas are the foundation for the protestant reformation if you want to google them.

ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyheterodoxy

This goes over the origins of many doctrines and how they evolved and later on even into non-christian religons. Very interesting stuff.

If you have traditional teachings and the bible, why would you then eek another person's interpretation and seek to change the faith? If the bible contains all the teachings, then isn't altering that and believing something else heresy? What authority does the pope have other than the institution of the Catholic church? Isn't it literally just believing what (((they))) tell you?

Constantine the tranny convert stop speaking in the name of Orthodoxy please.

thou shall not bear false witness

dont think your schizophrenic jewish lies are at all hard to see through

i've almost finsihed reaidng the gospels i know my stuff

>>catholic.com/tracts/whats-your-authority
posted in wrong bred

>i've almost finsihed reaidng the gospels i know my stuff

please look at this pseudo convert and laugh.
i bet your not even catechumen

the unbaptized cannot speak in the name of orthodoxy

schizophrenic jews are also autistic apparently.

i want pseudo converts not to speak in the name of orthodoxy

how is that even remotely relevant to what you posted?

trannies are a mistake

It's whats known as LARPing, vampireanon. It's pretty much safe to ignore anyone with an American flag speaking in the name of EO.

Protestantism is meme tier

>All those groups
i outlined two groups, one who holds to sola scriptura, and one who doesn't.

what i wanted you to notice is that, though without the hand of the magisterium guiding their interpretation of scripture, the adherents to my denomination are closer in line to catholic doctrine than practicing catholics on these issues.

But that merely discussed the Bible and an individual's knowledge thereof; what gives the Pope authority and why should one respect him, if the Bible is the sole source and they do not use it to support his authority?

What Protestants did to Christianity is a lot like what Rabbis and their Talmudism did to the original Judaism.

Ya fucked it.

>if the Bible is the sole source
Of what? Scripture is not the sole "source" of doctrine.
>what gives the Pope authority
Christ our Lord of course

What is so red-pilled about old believers? In Russia we see them as bunch of backwater outcast-weirdos.

>Scripture is not the sole "source" of doctrine.
Fair enough, too many sects to keep track of.

>what gives the Pope authority
>Christ our Lord of course
But how do we know?

Catholicism.

I never made the claim to be speaking in the name of anything.

I'm simply arguing what I know to gain a better understanding of different churches.

>trannies are a mistake

Will not continue to respond to some who I can only imagine is quite literally schizophrenic

Both share a basis in western philosophy however and that is what I was mainly criticizing, I dont defend the roman church.

The same outlook that led to the protestants also led to the problems with the catholic church.

>on these issues

And it's different on other issues

Justifying the failures of one church with the failures of another seems to just be admitting both are failed.

>But how do we know?
Tradition, Scripture, and the Living Authority of the Church.

>backwater outcast-weirdos
kek

Every politician with real clout in Russia has ties to the Old Believers. They're influential, and given their insistence on opposition to "church reforms", I'm considering converting to the Starovery.

>7 Hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied correctly about you when he said,
>8‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me,
>9 and they worship me in vain, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” (Matthew 5:7-9)
"teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" sounds like more of a cathodox thing than a protestant one.

Protestants,but you must find the correct one.
Martin Luther gave the people the bible,displayed that catholic church's lies.he was anti establishment,but not anti god.He want purer religion not based on random traditions that were not in the word of god.

it is written is in the bible and is used a lot , the word trinity or anything like it is not

>But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

>commandments of men
Yeah, nah, you're a cunt.

Get that weak shit out of here.

you sell people the wrong impression
also reading gospels doesn't make you know your shit in any denomination.

again. The church existed before the bible.
The scholars who chose what books and written works should go in the bible had one message for it not multiple interpretations.
The Bible and the choosing of what holy works went in it is still the choice of man.

>also reading gospels doesn't make you know your shit in any denomination.
That was the joke (why I called you autistic for not understanding, might be something in language though)
I'm aware I am not very knowledgeable which is why more often then not everything I say falls back to attend a service, talk to a priest, and some highly regarded books/podcasts. I direct them towards things which will give them accurate impressions.

yeah isn't the only ethnic Russian family in the top 10 richest families in Russia Old Believers?

Are they patriots? Or do they harbor bitterness about the past persecution?

None

This cuck religion can fuck off.

I'm a based buddhism.

>But how do we know?

You dont know the early churchfathers had bishops for each church ,then they would write letters to eachother like paul did, if one church fucked up.Makes more sense then one pope leader does it not?, the pope is totaly made up later 400 years after christ to merge political rome with religious rome

The problem is that the further churches move away from Rome, the more error creeps in eg. contraception and divorce.

Humani Vitae was a prophetic document which predicted the social consequences of the contraceptive mentality, which is all too evident in the West.

There is also the primacy of the see of St. Peter.

In Romans it talks about being saved by just faith in Jesus Christ, what am I missing?

Why do you believe in a God? (Serious question)?

>The scholars who chose what books and written works should go in the bible had one message for it
canon wasn't defined to fit some consensus' narrative, it's a collection of God-breathed scripture.

Christianity has its roots in Judaism. The old testament is the Jewish bible.

Protestants follow the bible over man

The rest of the bible you can not base your doctrine on one verse while the whole bible pretty much is against it

Not really

Personal wealth does not correlate with political clout here the way it does in the West.

Here, the closer you are to the top, the more you do to hide the extent of your affluence from the public.

This is a tradition in Russian society that goes back a few centuries. Riots, revolts and all sorts of uprisings used to be common, and when peasants would turn on the rich, the druzhinas of the rich would turn on them, too, since Russian collectivist mentality meant that they would rather identify with the commons, rather than pretend like they were a part of the upper echelons. So, the rich learned to hide their excesses from the public eye. For more info, start by looking into the "salt riots", IIRC, which happened around the time of the Nikon reforms.

Only the non-Russians, such as Tatars and Jews, don't believe in this Russian tradition.

To answer your question, it may well be true. I haven't looked into it, as we're not big on separating Old Believers from regular Russian Orthodox.

The Old Believers are indeed huge patriots. They are the only group that is consistently pro-monarchy. They don't tend to believe in revolution against Putin and the current regime, so much as pushing in the direction of an actual monarchy. That said, they have their qualms with the current establishment.

They do harbor some bad feelings, but they do like the Jews do in the West: power is their vengeance.

Faith also could include other things

If you had faith would you also not have works that show so?
Is how i've heard it put some way. Works don't gain you salvation, however they are a fundamental part of faith itself.

Is there a large pro-monarchy presence in Russia?

What about the verse where it says something like, you're not judged by works because then people would be going on and doing "works" like crazy and so on?

>14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

>18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

There isn't.

At least, not for "monarchy" as we understand it. There is a willing tolerance for autocracy, which is, if taken literally, basically the same thing without dynastical/divine right implications. (One + power/rule.)

But if you're asking about restoring the monarchy as it was under the Rurikovichi and the Romanovs, then no. The people are jaded, and well aware of how dirty one's hands get by the time they make it into the political big leagues.

In other words, there aren't any politicians who are popularly agreed to be "deserving" of being immortalized through their dynasty being allowed to reign over Russia. They're all corrupt to varying degrees, even if some have Russia's best interests at heart.

I personally don't. I literally just cannot, there's no urge or will to believe or anything. Though I do follow along loosely for interest

>If you had faith would you also not have works that show so?
i doubt many people disagree with this, it's in the new testament.

the real issue lies in the catholic interpretation of the faith/works stuff (enunciated at the council of trent.)
it reads like you merit salvation through your works that Christ's grace enables you to do.
this was what the reformation was mostly about, the necessity of grace versus the sufficiency of grace.

i don't really know the orthodox view but i'd wager it falls in line with the catholic one.

Abraham didn't sacrifice Isaac. It wasn't about the act, it was about the faith. Do you only read the Old Testament?

Protestants are faggots. They barely took part in any serious fight and are like the liberals of politics.

Orthodoxy is the answer if you dislike Paganism. Catholicism is the answer if you dislike Orthodoxy. All other forms of Abrahamic religions are either for cucks, parasites or braindeads.