This was boring

This was boring.

Welcome to Iron Man.

>Iron Man fights a super redneck
when you put it like that it sounds boring

The story itself was boring, but its purpose was to revitalize Stark, which it did. Plus, it left things in a very interesting place with Extremis.

Extremis stopped being a thing after Civil War

Except then he made something even crazier

I don't know, I prefer Tony wearing actual armors instead of this kind of thing.

Welcome to Warren Ellis comics.
At the very least though he'll coat everything with a thick self-satisfied pseudointellectual sauce and you can pretend you're a smarter, better person for having read it.

And this shit right here is the reason why Mallen will always be the scariest villain Stark had to fight with.

Eh dunno, Stark's killed before, and after that. Gillen's run made Mallen obsolete.

No, what I found scary about Mallen, is that he tried to get up after his head was blown off. Störtebeker-style.

Ah, now I get you.

I liked it, it was a good and necessary character study. Shame that Civil War destroyed its potential.

Finally someone said it.

Maybe it reads slightly better when collected, but it took well over a year for those 6 issues to be released, it was painfully slow, especially the time spent with Tony's hippy college mentor.

>especially the time spent with Tony's hippy college mentor
Sal was so obnoxious I didn'tmind it when he died...

What is it with turning Tony into Green Arrow anyway? How the fuck does a guy who takes no millitary contracts manage to create the most advanced weapon on Earth and keep upgrading? Does he sell so many goddamn phones? And hell, they always make it a point that StarkPhones are as cheap as they can make them (in that he doesn't scam the customers), so where the fuck does he find the money? Is it so wrong to have Free Market Super-Hero?

>Sal was so obnoxious I didn'tmind it when he died...

It doesn't even make much sense how someone like that would be Tony's mentor, they had nothing in common at all, and disagreed about everything. Was he just Ellis' mouthpiece for the story?

>What is it with turning Tony into Green Arrow anyway? How the fuck does a guy who takes no millitary contracts manage to create the most advanced weapon on Earth and keep upgrading? Does he sell so many goddamn phones? And hell, they always make it a point that StarkPhones are as cheap as they can make them (in that he doesn't scam the customers), so where the fuck does he find the money? Is it so wrong to have Free Market Super-Hero?

Most comics writers don't understand how wealth and economics work, so a rich character will always be rich, and always have money to spend on expensive superhero things, without having to make any kind of effort to keep making money. It's best not to think too much about it, because no-one writing Iron Man probably ever has.

extremis took an interesting question (what happens when tony's armor reaches a point where he can no longer keep up with it) and solves that question in the most boring way possible

>Was he just Ellis' mouthpiece for the story?

Probably. He was the hip old man who showed Tony the errors of his Capitalist ways.

>It's best not to think too much about it, because no-one writing Iron Man probably ever has.

It's bullshit though, especially when Ellis makes that very point in issue 4. "The future has to be paid for, you can't just wish it into being". You don't have to turn Tony into a warmongering asshole, but realistically he would be closer to Big Boss than Solid Snake to use MGS as an example.

Eh, I liked it well enough. How would you have done it (no sarcasm here, I'm interested to hear your POV)?