Any REAL Iron Man fans?

Do they even exist? Am I the only one?! No threads, no talk, no storytimes. Why is Iron Man such an after thought here? Is it just a reaction to the normies sucking the MCU version's dick?

The vast majority of his comics suck balls and he didn't have any sort of likability to run on until the MCU.

I was a Iron Man fan in the early 90s, even before the cartoon.

I liked him when I was a kid, I just don't have much of an interest in modern Marvel comics.

Micheline/Layton only

Iron Man was THE superhero I became a real fanboy of as a little kid for some reason that completely escapes me

The last good Iron Man run was the Knauf's Director of Shield stuff, and that was a decade ago.

I dunno, I've read comics since the 80s, and I've always thought of him as a bit of a second-stringer.
Like, even comics I'm not an especially huge fan of like Superman or Green Lantern, I've got some awareness of what's gone down in their books over the years, but with Iron Man, I pretty much draw a blank. I know he had a drinking problem for a while in the 80s, then he got replaced by Rhodey for a while before coming back. But what has he really done since then that's stood out? I heard about some "teen Tony" story that people seem eager to sweep under the rug, but what else is there?

I always rather liked this What if? Issue

By the way, I heard that Len Kaminski's 90s run was pretty good. Anyone have an opinion on it?

45 years old here, been reading IM since the late-70s.

I'm mostly a sci-fi nerd so his armor was more interesting to me than, say, the pseudo-mystical spider sense.

Was also getting into Tony's rogues gallery that was starting to flesh out in the late-70s and early-80s, the gadget-using villains mostly financed by Roxxon, that had a strong similarity to Flash's gallery. It seems odd to me that those rogues have gone on to such popularity while their marvel mirrors never caught on.

>Any REAL Iron Man fans?
I've been one since the 80s.

>Do they even exist?
Sure.

>Am I the only one?!
Nope.

>Why is Iron Man such an after thought here?
Because most of his runs are garbage and even his "good" runs are more "interesting" than actually good in the big scheme of things .

>Is it just a reaction to the normies sucking the MCU version's dick?
Nope, Iron Man really is a second string character propped up to be important right now because of movie success. In Marvel he's solidly behind Spider-Man, the X-Men, Thor, etc. If he was in DC he'd be Martian Manhunter level at best

For me it was a little collection book I found when I was a wee lad. It featured Demon in a Bottle, the Origin story, a one-off from the Busiek run and one where Fury has himhunt down a Hydra-Man Monster. I liked how he used his wits to say afloat, and had both a personal and super-hero life. He was also actively trying to change the world through his tech and brain. That, to me, made him unique.

It's good but the art gets real rough midway through.

I just like the idea of a suited hero. Makes me feel slightly capable of self inserting in a world of radioactive powered heroes.

Makes me a Spawn and Venom fan, but sparky moustache drunk isn't nearly what I wanted to read.

Iron-man is only interestign when in the Avengers.

His armor kidnapped him and took him to an island.

>sparky moustache drunk
But that's the best part user. Who doesn't want bitchin facial hair, a drink in one hand, and a dame in another?

Stuff like Extremis, Hypervelocity and Bleeding Edge gives me a transhuman hard-on.
>Ghost is best villain

Fun fact: in the 90's, when Stan Lee wasn't paying much attention to the comics, he visited the office and saw someone drawing Iron Man and said "why doesn't he have a nose? He's supposed to have a nose". Because Stan was the boss they started drawing his armor with a nose for a while. Then a couple years later Stan saw an issue of Iron Man again and was confused, "since when does Iron Man have a nose?"

Yeah, no. He may not have as many great runs as other characters, but he's had plenty. Englehart, O'Neil, Busiek, Fraction. The majority of his existence has been under good writers.

I will never get over how Iron Man 3 didn't just adapt that run's Mandarin.

Same here user, same here. He made me pursue robotics.

You're thinking of the Hulk.

Loved him until he went heel in civil war and the following series

Tried to turn him face during the dark reign and heroic age but he can stay fucked off desu

Rdj goat

Iron Man's cool, but I always thought his villains weren't that interesting. Mandarin aside it seemed like he only fought people with bigger and bulkier suits then himself.

His villains could be GOATs in theory, but Marvel's writers are so politically inept that they can't write anything else other than "good left" and "random evil fascist".

the only thing that prevented me of being a total Iron Man fan was his shitty hairstyle on his animated appearences.
Yes, kids can't be really dumb

Extremis is cancer though. It's an interesting concept, but it totally ruins Iron Man. I want to see him put on a robot suit to become a superhero, not go "ROBOT MODE ACTIVATE"

I feel like they'd need heavy redesigns but yeah, they have the potential to be really cool. Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man in particular.

Of course there are some that are just stupid regardless, like Whiplash.

It doesn't help that nobody could agree on what it was even supposed to be.

Extremis/Transhumanism is the logical next step. He couldn't stay a man in a metal suit forever.

All of them need new costumes and directions, but they have promise. Ghost is perfect already, Controller could become his Darkseid, Mandarin could be reworked into his own Doom, etc, etc.

I'd rather see him experimenting with minor cyborg elements first, NANOMACHINES SON is a big leap

batmans better

He is a nano-cyborg. Stark isn't the kind of guy that would chop any part of his body with machines. Nanomachines enhances without taking something away.

Eh, it was 40 years since his FA by then. I guess he could've gone with Deus Ex tech first, before jumping into Metal Gear, but it was a logical progression.

MCU didn't help his popularity, it just turned the comics version into RDJ-lite. And he was never really popular on his own.
Civil War also killed whatever interest casual comic readers may have had in him, so all that was left were the hardcore fans.

Yeah but i feel like if you jump right into nanomachines without doing enough testing, you might run into problems. Like say, hypothetically, if the skrulls were to give your armor/satellites a virus, it would almost kill you because your body is plugged into them.

Iron Man may be the most popular superhero in the MCU but in the comic world he is a nobody

I used to hate Iron Man, then MCU happened, and now I hate him even more.

He had like 3 great stories and pretty much nothing else before the movie raised him to A list status

Ok guys, hear me out. I have this theory that Iron Man is kind of Marvel's Wonder Woman.

>Both were staples of their universes even before their movies. Can't have "real Avengers" without Tony. Can't have "real JLA" without Diana.

>Everyone's a huge fan of them now thanks to the movies.

>Both have strong political backgrounds that have shaped their character and the adventures they go on.

>And most importantly, how much their own comics just don't matter.

Look at this thread. No one here is giving you top 5 Iron Man stories. I made it a thing to catch up on the last 8 years of Iron Man stories, and I can't tell you which ones are "great."

Iron Man and Wonder Woman comics are a purgatory where creators sling dozens of ideas against the wall, just to watch them get pushed aside for the next guy's Game-Changing Idea.

Remember when Diana was a U.S. diplomat and was based in Washington DC? Remember when Tony had his business go under and rise from the ashes fifty times? Remember when Diana went back to being a super spy for five minutes? Remember when Tony was head of SHIELD and was post-human? Remember when Diana turned a guy's neck around and it was the worst thing she's ever done? Remember when Tony Stark was evil, and was adopted, and was meant to pilot a god mech, and had a long lost brother named Arno, and all that shit happened in the last three years?

Iron Man and Wonder Woman are things to put on underwear at K-Mart, who sometimes have stuff happen to them in comics.

When the 1st movie came out in 08 coinciding with me starting to buy/read comics I considered him my favorite comic character.
He was soon surpassed by Cap & then Thor.
And not he isn't even in my top 10.
That being said...
Iron Man Haunted remains one of my top favorite comics ever & that Mandarin among my favorite villains.

But...Is Iron Man a poster boy for a fetish like Wonder Woman?

Well he's certainly had several bondage related covers.

The Doom thread, about a villain with only one volume under his name, has triple times the replies. That should answer your question...

Iron Man Ghost stories are always superb.

Superior Iron Man would have been good if it were allowed to go on for more than 5 minutes.

>Peter Parker playing at Iron Man has Ghost show up
Can't even hang on to his own villains.