Snoopy Come Home/Peanuts General

I watched Snoopy Come Home the other day and it was fuckin baller. It's moody as fuck and pretty obviously about Charles Schulz getting divorced/the affair that led to it.
youtube.com/watch?v=5ISGbIz5_yQ
This scene where he's boxing lucy is my favorite. the whole movie snoopy is just ornery and mean. Nothing like this would ever get made today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qSM6bxpTONM?t=4m15s
schulzmuseum.org/a-turning-point-in-the-peanuts-strip/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Take it in the sludge from Snoop.

Patty had a tough life

Snoopy Come Home was pretty good. Though I often felt that the whole Sherman Brothers musical interludes were too cheesy and didn't fit Peanuts very well.

A Boy Named Charlie Brown, now that was a proper Peanuts movie as far as music and characters went.

is this part of a series of strips or just some randomly depressing one off?

This strip gets posted a lot in Peanuts threads. It's an extraordinary strip indeed, and I'm surprised it hasn't been raised yet that an actual English professor one analysed this strip in a way that brought a tear to my eye. It's how I first learned about this strip.

youtu.be/qSM6bxpTONM?t=4m15s

>When I first read it, I started to cry, it really moved me
>Patty is very much in the role Charlie Brown usually is in the strips
>'It's getting dark', this is very late in Schulz life, I find that 'it's getting dark' quite resonant

One off. It was the last strip to feature Patty before Schulz died less than a month later.

As mentioned in - it's not just some randomly depressing one off, but it's tellingly one of the last several strips Schulz did before he died.

This just happens to be another historically important strip. Stephan Pastis once noted that this was the first Peanuts strip that was plain pathos.

schulzmuseum.org/a-turning-point-in-the-peanuts-strip/

>When Charlie Brown starts out (from 1950 through 1953), he is a bit of a smart-aleck. More like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. He often provokes (particularly Schroeder), and likes to get the better of others.

>This particular strip changes that.

>For the first time, you see how sad and rather lonely Charlie Brown is, and moreover, how resigned he is to it.

>So for the first time in Peanuts, you see real pathos, something which would give the strip its depth.

>In terms of tone, it is also groundbreaking. In an era when every strip had to be either an adventure strip or a slapstick humor strip, here is a humor strip that is not funny. Boldly not funny. It’s just sad. And moreover, it’s a child being sad. That’s a real departure for both Peanuts and probably most other strips on the comics page.

peannuts is one of those weird enigmas were i really wish it had gotten some sort of ending for closure but i would have also hated it for having an ending.

Is this the girl (Peggy Jean?) that in then end friendzoned Charlie Brown?

>Friendzoned
More like she broke up with him after finding a new guy

Ah, I guess I incorrectly guessed what the whole arc was about or whatever. Haven't actually read a whole deal of 90s strips, mainly 50s and 60s (I've read every 50s strip at least three times).

The '90s strips are very low quality.

>you now realize Schulz drew a heavy rainstorm in an attempt to cover up the increasingly ragged artwork that came with him being near death.

God bless that man.

I'll agree with you that the strips from the 80s and early-90s range from mediocre from terrible, but the strips from the late-90s, when Schulz started to make Rerun one of the main characters, are some of the best he ever wrote.