On August 7th, 2014, at a Barnes & Noble book signing for Martin Olson's book, The Adventure Time Encyclopædia...

>On August 7th, 2014, at a Barnes & Noble book signing for Martin Olson's book, The Adventure Time Encyclopædia, Olivia Olson confirmed that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum had dated, which can explain their rivalry and why they had trouble getting along with the other in the past. Olivia stated that their relationship may be mentioned in the upcoming book, but had no further statements regarding the two. Olson later tweeted "I like to make things up at panels. Ya'll take my stories way too seriously...". The tweet was then deleted and nothing has been said since.

>pilot about WACKY FUN COLORFUL ADVENTURES
>evolves into series about WACKY FUN COLORFUL ADVENTURES
>mutates into HE LIKES HER BUT SHE LIKES SOME OTHER GUY SO HE GOES TO SEE THIS GIRL AND THIS MAKE FIRST GIRL FEEL...

adventure time fucking sucks

as far as i know the show ended when PB became finn's age in one of those season finale's. That's it, everything after never happened

dubs of a good opinion

>Marceline and Princess Bubblegum had dated
The regrets.

>had dated
So they're exes. Which means they're likely not gonna get back together in the show
Shippers btfo

To this day I still want to know her motive for making up the story. Did she just want a hand in stirring up some shit?

I think there has to be at least some truth to it. It's not something you make a joke about for the sake of it. She probably just got told to backpedal afterwards.

That might be. The backpedal was such a odd inversion of tone though. She seemed delicate while making her statement at the panel and then her tweet seemed pretty rude. It was confusing.

There's not a polite way of saying you lied to the fans. And it's tricky because the AT crew have been very careful to not confirm or deny bubbline as a thing. So she can't say what she said was necessarily wrong either.

That's true.

gas all bubblinefags

flamegumfags can stay

The Final Solution

I thought it was a fact that they dated?

She was obviously a shipper of the two, and felt she could influence the show if she said something. Likely a spur of the moment decision.

She said that she heard it straight from Pen's mouth. What exactly was said is impossible to say, but to deny that there was at least some truth to her statement is intellectual dishonesty.

Why? Its not like there overwhelming evidence that what she said was not in fact a joke. Unless Olivia is in the thread and wants to clear things up, it'll be speculation on both our parts.

How is this even up for debate anymore? They've implied it so many times on so many different levels. Haters can get lost, Bubbline is canon.

It has been implied they had a friendship but for thirsty fatties fetishizing gay relationships between fictional characters it was warped into more than that.

Come on, it clearly wasn't a joke, that much I can say with confidence. There is nothing about her tone or the situation that would suggest that, and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. That's not to say that what she said should be taken as gospel either, as many bubbline fans do. Perhaps she misunderstood what Pen had said, or any number of things, but to dismiss it as pure fabrication is silly, and only believed because people don't want it to be true.

>bubblinefag actually made an entire thread about it
CRY MORE I'M STILL GOING TO POST IT

>muh forced lesbian ship
Glad this garbage series is finally dying.

I keep hearing weird shit about Adventure Time like this.
Should I be glad I never got into it?

i think it's good if you ignore the romance shit in the fandom/season 5, especially the most recent seasons which are a lot better than early s5/parts of s6

It's one of, if not the best cartoon this decade in my opinion. There's no point asking for opinions on it though because there is zero consensus, even within the fandom. Some will say that an episode is pure garbage while others will lavish it as a masterpiece. You should give it a watch and decide for yourself.

>the absolute STATE of the AT community

it's just the one retard who gets assblasted every time finn/bubblegum or finn/marceline art gets posted in the AT threads don't blame the rest of us

>even Olivia is a bubblinefag
>i-it's just one guy!!

This is what I hate about voice actors. They can shit all over the story's canon as much as possible in front of the fans and the original creator has to deal with their Bullshit. It's what Charles Martinet did to Mario, its what Greg Cipes did to Beast Boy, and its what Olivia Olson did to these characters. KILL ALL THE LESBIANS SIG HEIL SIG HEIL
ICH WERDE DAS ENDE VON HUTEN BRINGEN

PB's va and whoever runs the official youtube account both ship fubblegum but you don't see us posting that everywhere, stop acting like just because a va says something it makes it canon
purge all the reverse fujoshis desu

What is with this victim complex. I see fubblegum and finnceline art get posted all the time and no one gives a shit.

Bubbline is canon and there's nothing you can do about it

This

No it isn't, word of Olson.

Charles Martinet is a lesbian?

Yes, he is a lesbian but I was talking about how he shits up the Mario canon whenever he does one of his Mario in Real Time gigs at Comic conventions and Tech shows where he tells people as Mario stuff the Miyamoto would definatley not say was true about Mario, like his last name being "Mario" and such. Just watch a few of the videos on YouTube. People usually call them "My chat with Mario" but to find them search up Mario in Real time

If bubbline actually does get canonised can everyone promise not to drown out final season discussion with shipshit? Bubblinefags, contain your smugness, and other shipfags, contain your butthurt. There'll be plenty of more interesting shit to talk about, and I'd hate to see that ruined by ship wars of all things.

It's going to end the same way it has always been: a deliberately vague wink in favour of it without ever properly acknowledging anything. I suspect a kiss on the cheek at most.

Bubbline will never be canon, the only endgame ship is Fubblegum with Finn bottoming

Whats up with future-Bonnies hair

It's dead.

>Finn turning 18 soon-ish
>Still won't get to smash and dash Bubblegum
For what purpose?

He'll smash on a cliff under a tree.

>tripfag likes the unwashed forest bitch
wew too predictable

>It's one of, if not the best cartoon this decade in my opinion
I'd agree if this show didn't exist

Because she's not interested, and he's moved on like a mature adult.

On the contrary, now they simply have got to pair them up or risk getting called homophones.

the garbage final season / ending ruined this otherwise perfect show.
if the same thing happens to AT (it probably will) i am going to quit cartoons.

>I would agree if this show didn't exist
I would agree if that show only consisted of the first two, and final seasons.

i'm pretty sure after the whole grass arm thing the creators give 0 fucks about what people on the internet have to say

>Adventure time when all the weird shit was implied (ice king's background, the mushroom war, bubbleline, etc.)
Pretty fucking good

>Adventure time when all the weird shit was explicitly stated
Trash

Ew

Korrasami shit is pulled up our asses as something glorious while this pair is just treated as something bad if it turns to be true. I can dig it. Even the show trows real hints.

Fuck this world.

>le generic stoner comedy

Voice Actors don't get to decide what's canon, and honestly, nothing past Pendleton Ward leaving is canon.

Show would've been better if it was about Fiona instead of a cylinder with noodle arms.

Man RS got stale like 3 seasons in, AT got bad at times but never got close to how RS went.

What about the episodes he's written since 'leaving'?

Shipping ruins shows. Enough said.

This is why bad romantic subplots should be avoided.

People like it for different things.
This board hates a lot of it for Rando reasons sometimes so try it yourself. Not that hard to binge.

Sure those count, and his statements about the show since

If she was told to backpedal, why delete that tweet after the backlash?

It being a joke was entirely in line with everything she said before that panel and the tweet. Olivia called the idea of Bubbleline weird in an interview with her and Martin Olson, she stressed the idea of Marceline's perfect boyfriend at another panel, and so on.

She's never repeated it since in any interview even with given the chance to do so and nobody backed it up at the panel (Tom made a joke, the rest seem exasperated) or since.

It was pretty clearly a joke that backfired when people actually took it seriously which is pretty much Bubbleline at its core.

Cause the writers are nu male cucks

>If she was told to backpedal, why delete that tweet after the backlash?
Because that's what you'd do if you wanted to stop the discussion after you were told you said something you weren't supposed to.

>She's never repeated it since in any interview even with given the chance to do so
Of course she wouldn't, and nobody would back it up either, if she was told to retract it after the first time because she spoke out of line, which is clearly what happened.

>Olivia called the idea of Bubbleline weird in an interview with her and Martin Olson
So if she didn't like it, why would she put that out there the first time, unless it was something she thought was true?

>It was pretty clearly a joke that backfired
It didn't really sound like a joke at all, either in it's delivery or it's position in the conversation.

>So if she didn't like it, why would she put that out there the first time, unless it was something she thought was true?

Because people kept bringing it up to her after What Was Missing?

>Nrama: So the next Marceline episode (“Sky Witch,” unaired when this interview was conducted) is a Marceline/Princess Bubblegum one…I’m going to be very careful in my phrasing, but there’s certainly an…interesting fan base (Olivia laughs) that’s sprung up around those characters, and I’m curious as to what you think of that.

>Olivia: Well…after the “What Was Missing” episode, the fans are actually the ones who came up with the whole lesbian possibility (laughs). I was talking to Kent Osborne –

>Martin: – head writer of the show, and an old friend of ours –

>Olivia: -- and we were just joking around, and I went, “Really? You made me a lesbian?” (laughs) And he goes, “No! That didn’t even cross our minds.” But so many of the fans were convinced that was going on that in a weird way, they’re maybe kind of banking on that a little bit.

>Martin: They’re just letting the rumor be there, even though it’s not true.

>Olivia: Yeah.

Wait, what did Greg Cipes do?

I wish Maggie were here in my time of need

PURGE

SAUCE

do you need to feed someone breakfast?

>>Makes off the cuff "oh yeah totally! LOL" joke about bubblin being canon.

>>Fan and ship-mutants take it as gospel.

>>When confronted on Twitter she says "You guys shouldnt take everything I say so literally"

>>Ship-mutants explode and go on typical fucked-in-the-head SJW rage-bender

>>From then on fuel is added to the fire by hack ship-mutant storyboardists. Bubblegum and Marceline have the personalities warped around to play at the possibility of it, despite it making no sense and being completely born out of an off the cuff joke.

>>Now theres shitty episodes of these two wildly out of their original personality just so ship-mutants can be sated.

God I hope it comes out at the end that theyre just friends and not romantically linked. Like they both laugh at the idea when accused by a neutral third party elf or candy creature.

Seeing the Bubblin' ship assholes die off in one mass stroke would be the best thing to come out of the series, and would completely redeem it.

These comments seem pretty disengenous. SHow artists like Natasha were drawing this before any shipping really started. And along with Sugar's comments and the comic shit it seems pretty obvious at least some of the creators have this in mind. Maybe there are internal disagreements but this is a rare case where it didn't just come from fans. I don't see why Olivia would know what the writers have in mind neccessarily either. One thing that seems clear is that at least for a while they really, really did not want anyone to comment on it in any official capacity probably to avoid controversy. Subtext is fine but some places where the show is aired this would cause a problem. They either bring the hammer down hard on anyone who openly comments or people working on the show have gathered they shouldn't really talk about it.

This. Its upsetting when a show gets too wrapped up in its own "deepest lore."

>I don't see why Olivia would know what the writers have in mind neccessarily either.

Because she actually asked them and the other person in the interview with her was Martin Olson?

>IDW

>comics

>>completely born out of an off the cuff joke.
See You're either wilfully ignorant or just plain stupid to believe that.

>>Now theres shitty episodes of these two wildly out of their original personality just so ship-mutants can be sated
Obviously the characters have changed over the course of the series, but this idea that they were drastically changed for the sake of a ship is absolute horseshit. 'I don't like it' doesn't make it OOC either.

Death of the Author. None of his statements about the show are canon.

Death of the author is a retarded notion that holds no basis in reality.

No it isn't. What matters is what's in the text itself, otherwise we would just be debating what the author's intentions were, which defeats the point of literature I feel. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not in the text, it's not canon.

Creator statements are only second level canon. If they directly contradict what they've already made, they don't mean shit.

What are the best episodes that are actually about adventures and treasure and exploring and fighting?

Mystery Dungeon, Don't Look, Dad's Dungeon, Gotcha to an extent

I could keep on going until the comet shit started. Then it was just fucking unwatchable

Instead we argue about what others have magically ordained from the text or media, except in the creator's case it's almost objectively the intent of the story and the characters.
The word of the author is no different than what is in the media, it's just not written in the same place.
Sure I'd agree you don't get to fix bad writing by explaining it later, it's not an excuse, but if we're talking about something that was not clearly answered in the canon material, a non contradictory answer by the creator is canon.
(though sometimes answers given in the canon material are also contradictory so...)

Either way my point was not that the creator can contradict his own work, much rather that other creators who decided to pick up where they left off don't get to be called canon, ESPECIALLY if they've contradicted canon.

>nothing has been said since.
except in said book

That doesn't fit with current lore at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite that happened.

Even when I agree with it, calling voice actor shit canon is stupid.. but then again calling nuWriters shit canon is just as stupid
>current lore
>mattering
But it doesn't fit the original lore either, as in the first time we saw the two interact. We know from Marcelline's song that PB was the one who wanted nothing to do with her, voice actors are retards who need to be heard, not seen or acknowledged.

What the fuck is this fanfiction shit?

>The word of the author is no different than what is in the media, it's just not written in the same place.
I disagree completely. This renders individual interpretation meaningless. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

>said book
please excuse me i am retarded, this was Hynden Walch in the art of Ooo, not the adventure time encyclopedia

>nuWriters shit canon is just as stupid
Adam Muto and Kent Osborne are nuWriters? You're talking as if Ward had complete control over the "story" which is ridiculous, AT has always been a collaborative effort.

Besides, Ward was a writer until partway through season 7 and he has had a presence since then as well, even boarding a couple of episodes in season 8.

Individual interpretation is meaningless to anyone but the individual. If interpreting someone gives it more value to you, and you want to discuss it fine, but it's not canon.

Two things, most of the episode lately haven't been storyboarded by either, and Muto has done a horrible job as showrunner.
>Ward was a writer until partway through season 7
>A writer
If you can't recognize the difference between making some episodes and being head writer/showrunner/director you're retarded.

We view stories very differently then. The whole point is to make an impact on the viewer/reader, so what the viewer/reader takes away from it is the most important thing. What is canon isn't always objective, a good example being bubbline in which there is plenty of room for interpretation.

Most of the episodes in the early seasons weren't boarded by them either, were they also not canon? Ward has always let the boarders and writers take the show in crazy directions, the way the show is run now isn't any different. Do you really believe that there would be a stark difference if it had been Ward instead this entire time?

Sure, making an impact is the goal. and this is done through telling a story, and sometimes from leaving subjects open ended so that interpretations can be made, and this is good and important, but it doesn't make it a canon part of the story.

Bubbline isn't canon though, which is why there is room for interpretation. There is no room for interpretation however about something about say, Finn being a human, even if someone considers him a metaphysical entity that is a metaphor for the eternal struggle of humanity and youth.

>Most of the episodes in the early seasons weren't boarded by them either, were they also not canon?
Strawman
>Ward has always let the boarders and writers take the show in crazy directions
Sure, this doesn't mean there wasn't a basis of supervision.
>the way the show is run now isn't any different
The style in which stories are told says differently, and either way it doesn't matter, I could make an Adventure Time story that's run the way the Ward ran the the show, it doesn't make it canon.
>Do you really believe that there would be a stark difference if it had been Ward instead this entire time
Well there's a way to do this
Let's look at episodes while Ward was showrunner, and look at episodes while he wasn't.
Oh looks like it is.

>Strawman
You're the one who raised it, I was only following your logic.
>The style in which stories are told says differently
There was a massive shift in style and tone that happened under Ward. He was showrunner from season 1 until halfway through season 5. You're saying that the show would suddenly stop progressing into more experimental territory if he had stayed showrunner, which is bollocks, that's what AT is all about, and Ward was the driver of that philosophy.

Frankly, I don't care what you consider canon or not, because the fact of the matter is that it is. Whether you like it or not, you don't get to decide that.

post-season 2 adventure time was a mistake