Rick and Morty

Without mentioning the shitty reddit fanbase, what do you think is bad about Rick and Morty?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XKvsLLfRpLs&t=2s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The family drama is stale, and at this point I honestly hate all of the characters, even Morty after some of the latest episodes.

>awesome
sci fi shit
>not awesome
yeah I totally want to watch yet another family divorce story.

I heard the female writers came up with the divorce arc. If true then them.

I've only seen the pickle episode because I keep getting links to these 24/7 Rick & Morty streams on YouTube and the gags and action was funny but the mom and the kids were just annoying

People like you who make these pointless threads to be passive aggressive about people not liking the thing you like.

>Without mentioning the shitty reddit fanbase
Women writers. Fuck women. They need to stop being whores and have sex with me

You don't think it was Harmon, the man who just recently went through a divorce? You don't think his divorce could have affected what he writes about for his show?

It's always Le ebil ess jay dubya roasties I guess

On the whole I've liked the series, though the offensive shock humor becomes less effective over time and you realize how much it relies on it once it stops working.

Bu Season 3 is kind of shitty. In Seasons 1 and 2, they would drop heavy character moments here and there that many found satisfying, often because characters would be fighting back against the bullshit they had to put up with up until that point. But in Season three, because this got so much positive feedback from vocal fans, it's nothing but that manipulative shit where they are constantly setting up this crap. Fuck, half of the episode plot-lines exist solely to set up some sappy character moment that contradicts a previous character moment. Most of the time at the cost of humor. You've already established your premise, use it. Stop re-establishing how manipulative and emotionally retarded Rick is.

desu i was just curious. i like to stay bipartisan on these things

*dude

While that's usually a fair enough reason, this exact question has been asked almost daily here since season 3 started so the logical assumption was that it was weak bait for lots of (You)s.

My apologies, I don't browse this board often enough. Thank you.

>so much cuckold imagery it is obnoxious. It is not remotely subtle and never presented as funny. Jerry is even beat up by his family and the universe for being disturbed by his parent's cuckoldry fetish
>Jerry is a fucking punching bag the entire show, never doing anything remotely impressive or likeable
>Sarah doesn't need to be on the show at all. I have not watched the third season yet so maybe that has changed.
>They managed to make the devil uninteresting
>beating up an animal abuser to a song written by a repeat offender animal abuser
>for every interesting concept like Rick dating the hivemind or the splitting timeline episode there's 5 get schwiftys or tiny ricks

Season 1 and 2 were the best season. I don't know why they decided there needed to be all kinds of stupid drama in a show with a character named "Mr. Poopy Butthole".

Futrama wannabe without any of the Futurama charm.

It tries way too hard to be philosophical with the pseudo nihilistic comments peppered throughout the show. It's about as deep as a puddle, especially compared to some of the other things AS has had like the infomercials.

The characters are fucking detestable. And unlike other shows with hateable characters like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, you're supposed to root for these assholes.

The art style is hideous. And, much like the rest of the show, it feels like very little effort is actually out into it. Which brings me to the dialogue; it's improvised style comes off less like the voice actors going with what feels funniest in the moment an more like rambling.

The same faults and flaws of the characters are stated over and over during the course of the three seasons. The over use of showing not telling is a little annoying, but the fact thay clearly don't want to develop the characters any futher makes it feel like a waste of time.

This season has also relied on a lot more gore-humor which personally isn't my cup of tea.

This, it feels like the randomness of the first 2 seasons is gone.

They used to improv these episodes but now it feels like they have someone else writing and they just voice over it.

No characters are likeable.
Even in shit like Always Sunny there is someone in each episode who is given a likeable bent, even secondary characters. However from what I've seen of R&M, no person background or otherwise is any less than insufferable.
Without anyone to give half a shit about from episode to episode all possible stakes are dead, and even some jokes fall flat because you hate who is telling them. On top of that what physical humor is there seems to be going the Family Guy route of just gore with a silly comment at the end.

I wish it wasn't so far up it's own arse. The constant cynicism is obnoxious, and has been since the beginning. It has this air of 'this cartoon parodies everything because its so much better and edgier than those other things'.

Rick and Morty is basically the Dreamworks Face of TV shows.

Seconded, it feels like the creators know the show is praised and they are being arrogant about it.

harmon is an sjw, user

Well, great, now I wanna see Rick encounter Farnsworth and Wurnstrom.
...And Planet Vinci for that matter.

>>Sarah doesn't need to be on the show at all. I have not watched the third season yet so maybe that has changed.
Well thank goodness Sarah has been written out of the show. With this new season it feels like Sarah never even existed.

when it was mostly wacky scifi adventures it was good.
then the writers started to think they actually had an ounce of talent and could write compelling characters. they cannot, but they tried anyways and the show has suffered for it

>>Sarah doesn't need to be on the show at all. I have not watched the third season yet so maybe that has changed.
Fuck I hate Sarah so much. That whole episode that was just her and Tommy at the mall was so shit. And don't get me started on Dennis. "Who wants bacon?" is such a forced catch phrase.

>Rick and Morty is so serious

>the logo that once showed a happy family now shows a single depressed dude

Come the fuck on, he's hurt, it doesn't matter how he feels about society. Sometimes people just need to vent, and a surprising number of people do it through their work.

I think there's only so far a Back to the Future joke can go

Sarah adds some much needed topical commentary to the show. That episode where she dressed up as Melania Trump and no one even mentioned it was the most brilliant half hour of television this decade.

Rick cock sucking

Stupid people trying to write a smart character

Constant "hey, isn't this thing stupid?"

"Dark and edgy"

Dan Harmon

When people say Rick and Morty is "deep," 90% of it is because of Sarah. I get what they're trying to do by embodying the ambivalence of post-communist Europe as a teenage girl from the east coast, but the subtlety is lost when all she does is fuck Chads who look like Jean Baudrillard. That episode that was a straight riff on Les Chants de Maldoror was pretty good though.

Rick eliminates all stakes

>Shitty art
>Pretentious stoner comedy
>Cringey, forced family dra

Reading through this thread it feels like the same criticisms levied at R&M are also what people have issue with Adventure Time.

The shitty reddit writers

Harmon has the tendency to get to circle jerky after his shows go on for a bit.

He's doing it now

There comes a point where the status quo causes things to get stale, and things can choose to respond to that or go further beyond. Rick and Morty seems to have chosen to continue their path and let things get stale.

they made an anti-Semitic comment about Israel but have faced no visible backlash for it.

>Without mentioning the shitty fanbase [...]
never got this. why do people think menioning the fandom is a valid point in it's quality? all fandoms are shit and no one has control over what kind of retard you attract

I really tried to like Rick & Morty--

OH NO MORTY WERE BEING CHASED BY GIANT TAKLING SHOES CAUSE THIS IS THE GIANT SHOE PLANET 3847894Y698347896.38 LIGHT YEARS FROM ALTERNATIVE EARTH XVIIII3415 NOW WERE IN A STANDOFF ITS ME HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD MORTY FOR NO REASON MORTY I FUCKING HATE YOU MORTY BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF JUST KIDDING I WAS ACTUALLY THE GUN THE ENTIRE TIME YOU SEE I JUST OPENED A PORTAL TO THE 5000 UNIVERSES OF DEEZNUTZ AND NOW I WILL EMERGE FROM MY OWN ANUS AND TRANSPORT US BACK IN TIME TO 1968 BUT WAIT WE ARE ACTUALLY IN THE HAIR FOLLICLE DIMENSION OF DAN HENLEY 82375879345 AND ON NO WERE BEING ATTACKED BY GIANT HIPSTER SILKWORMS LETS DANCE TO THIS 1980S SONG AND THEN BLOW OUT THEIR BRAINS BECAUSE THE BEAT IS ACTUALLY PROGRAMMED IN TIME TO THE BIRTHDAY OF GERALD FORD IN BINARY CODE ITS A FRACTAL SEQUENCE LOOK GUTS ARE FLYING EVERYWHERE HAVE YOU EVER HAD SILKWORM HIPSTER PANCREAS? IT’S GOT GOOD NIACIN YUM YOU GOTTA TRY THIS MORTY NOW WE’RE BACK AT THE GARAGE BUT ITS A UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYBODY HAS THREE EYES AND TITS FOR EARS THIS IS ACTUALLY A METAPHOR OF HOW I HATE MYSELF AND AM A FAILURE BUT I CANT LIVE WITHOUT YOU AND THE FAMILY MORTY NO JUST KIDDING FUCK YOU MORTY I WANT MY FUCKING MULAN SZECHWAN SAUCE FROM 1998 GOD IS NOT REAL I PRESSED A BUTTON AND EVERYBODY’S BODY PARTS ARE INSIDE OUT EVERY CHARACTERS AN ASSHOLE HEY MORTY HEY MORTY HEY MORTY CMON MORTY MORTY MORTY MORTY GFJKHDGKLJLISUDAGHLIUAFGISDJHFDSOIHGDSOIHSDNGKLX!!!!!!!!!

It's like somebody did coke and tried to write Futurama fanfic.

the way rick talks is irritating, the emotional drama feels tacked on, and doc and mharti wasnt even the best channel101 series. cautionary tales of swords should be a show instead

>like the infomercials.
>tfw you will never work as a virtual gardener

what the fuck there was nothing anti-semitic you fuck.

it is literally impossible to be antisemitic if you support palestinians because PALESTINIANS ARE SEMITIC

the only thing that was said is that rick talks about israel when he's drunk, it wasn't said what he thinks or why he sais it
he did however make fun of muslims, in the dreamception episode he sais "allah ackbar i'm gonna 9/11 this plane" or something

Just because he's sad doesn't means he should ruin the show, yes, ruin, he did the fucking same with community so i won't forgive him again

It's very repetitive and tries too hard to be edgy. You know how the entire episode is going to end within the first 2 minutes, and therefore have no reason to get invested in the story. And because you have no investment, much of the humor falls flat.

I'm not going to say it's terrible, but it is very mediocre.

>sjw

I doubt, I saw writers of Rick&Morty tell them to fuck off, and when they showed up complaining to him, he said that there is a dimension where Rick is buttfucking Morty in a healthy relationship.

The arcs of minor characters (summer, Jerry, Beth etc). Some of them are witty but failing that become awkward and tragic. The divorce one stands out in my mind as the worst though, what the fuck was that?

rick and morty isn't great or anything but this is a massive over exaggeration

youtube.com/watch?v=XKvsLLfRpLs&t=2s

The fat hack thinks 30% of america are nazis.

>Planet Vinci
Man I hate that episode, in fact, I hate pretty much all post-cancellation Futurama. The show had a rapid decline into Zombie Simpsons quality and I don't see anyone calling it out, I think it's just that people loved Futurama so much that they were too happy to see it come back they didn't notice the flaws. I could probably rant on for a while about this, but let me just say that the episode with the singing boil on Leela's ass was just pure garbage.

Outside of the obvious "Reddit" style humour it has, there's something else about the show that really bugs me. It's kind of hard to describe but the show feels like it has somewhat of a "smug" quality to it, like it thinks it is way smarter, funnier, deeper and more insightful than it actually is and is starting to get in the way of what people actually want from the show.

I can applaud the show for really going out there with some of its ideas that take balls to do, but there are a lot of aspects of it that feel like they needed someone to say "Nah, that's retarded" and reel the writers back down to Earth. A prime example is the interdimensional TV episode where it was a big risk to basically do so much improv and expect it to be consistently funny, but it just goes a little too far and just comes off as smug and grating to me, like the writers (or whoever) think they are hot shit for what they are doing and that every idea they have is gold.

Rick is an ass. His work can really change the world for the better, but since his scope is the balance of the universe & parallel universes, he basically sees any attempt to improve himself or others as futile. He's a drunken wreck who takes out his bitterness of having a whore of a daughter out onto Jerry when it was clearly Beth's choice to uproot her future to have Summer. Rick feels little remorse or regard to others.

I guess I can't get behind a show whose hero is a terrible person is often rewarded & praised.

The show knows all this and constantly comments on it, often showing how le depressed Rick is or whatever.