Is Superman the least relatable superhero in comics?

Is Superman the least relatable superhero in comics?

No I think it would have to be that rich, monster hunter lady.

Is she OP to god like levels?
Then she's not Superman levels of unrelatable.

I find him quite relatable

powerlevel isn't the sole factor of relatability. In fact, I'd say it's the least important.

Are you a god?
Then I doubt you'd fine Superman relatable.

He's easily the most relateable depending on what your upbringing was like

He's probably the most relatable. I could list some reasons like him being an immigrant but I'm sleepy.

Explain to me how how blacks or Asians are supposed to relate the most whitebread character ever.

It depends.
Do you actually read comics?

He was raised on a farm in fucking Kansas. He has a middle-class job, a steady girlfriend, a mother and a dog. He's a normie who just happens to have godlike power.

Who reads Superman?
It'll just have Superman Mary Sue his way through the issue.

Blacks and Asians can be immigrants bro.

>white guy
>immigrant
You what?

He's someone you look up to more than you relate to

This.

I'm not a billionaire playboy master martial artist using super technology to fight clowns in the streets, but I can still find Batman's grief over losing his parents and him considering Alfred to be his father to be relateable.

>Europeans can't come to the US
You what?

Are you seriously racist enough to believe you can only relate to people of your own race?

>White people can't immigrate.

Oh okay, this is just a troll thread, goodbye.

>a godlike being who wastes his talent on fighting bald guys and green guys in polo shirts
>someone to look up to
It's times like these I'm glad I'm a Batfag.

This
So? Almost all comic superheros are godlike compared to a normie like me.

>European
But he's kryptonian

This is a bait thread shame because it had potential
If your a pedo.

>A literal psychotic with parental issues raises child soldiers in order to fight other lunatics in the slums of his city, which remains perpetually shitty no matter how much of his billions upon billions of dollars he invests in it.

Racial coding is a thing.
Look at Steven Universe.

You seemed confused that white immigrants was a thing.

I'm sure everyone can relate to feeling like a weirdo or outsider

>Relating to someone based on race
>Blacks and Asians can't relate to being immigrants or having old fashioned parents that give them good morals and values
>Superman is "whitebread" because you haven't read anything with him in it

>Actually giving a fuck at the end of the day if a character is "relateable" and not just enjoying their stories

I guess nobody can relate to being ilver or soaring through space on a surfboard so that guy must not be a great character

This is a shitty bait thread anyway like half of the threads about Superman on this board

"Hurr explain to me why he's a good character"

So he's not white.

This thread really makes me think. Did Krypton have any black people? And if not then why not?

OP didn't give it away?
Maybe if you weren't racist you would understand.

That's my Sup Forums

He's a simple guy with simple Jeudo-Christian values trying to do the right thing. Any spic who grew up in a traditional Catholic home knows that feel. Anyone who's ever moved to the city after living in the country can know that feel. Anybody who's ever played the part of the big strong brave man yet failed to live up to that role at work or in your personal life knows that feel.

Superman's whiteness is arguably one of the LEAST important parts of his character.

Honestly I don't see Superman as an immigrant. Martian Manhunter is an immigrant, almost transparently so, but Superman was born and raised in the USA. He's as much an immigrant as a second or third generation Irishman in Boston, or an adopted Chinese girl.

They had plenty. There's been black Kryptonians before.

>Sup Forums - Anything but comics

You could argue that Clark would count as a Dreamer.

This is why we should split the boards.
Filter out all the cartoonfags and moviefags.

He's the most relatable.

He's just a good guy that was raised by good parents that wants to help people. He doesn't have a tragic backstory that made him who he is, he's not a tormented soul. He's just a good guy that happens to have been born on another world (which he doesn't remember) and happens to have amazing powers.

he's the least relatable if you're a dweeb and not a big brolic dude who can fly and shoots lasers out of his eyes like normal people

>Ultraman
>Gamora
Clark was a fellow soldier all along.

Anyone got that Superman with the jumper bit from Grounded?

>Gamora
Wrong comic company.

>He's just a good guy that was raised by good parents that wants to help people.
So he's not relatable to anyone on Sup Forums

He sounds like he uses Tumblr.

Is Goku really more relatable than Superman? I keep hearing this but it never made sense to me.

Goku put everyone and everything at risk so he can get that fighting high he's always chasing. He's a combat junkie with poor judgement skills.

grounded fucking sucked

The one good part of Superman Earth One.

Also as someone whos elderly dog passed not too long ago this hits home.

I guess if you can't make simple connections to deduce things you wouldn't be able to relate to someone who does that for a living as a reporter

I think you are lying, I don't think anyone makes that claim.

>immigrant with a 9 to 5 job and a family
gee I wonder
anyone who says this retarded. even Goku as a kid was a literal monkey child from the mountains who wanted to fight people

>an impulsive hothead with poor judgement skills
I'm sure plenty of people relate to him.

>Struggle between your two cultural heritages with starkly different values and ultimately find a middle ground that allows you to live a fulfilling life while honoring both your backgrounds.
>Trying to make your way in a world beset by moral decay where every ethical choice is questioned or besieged by the opposing viewpoint.
>Have certain gifts you would like to share with the world but often times they are met with envy, disdain, or taken advantage of.
>You want to do good but you have to realize at some point you can't please everyone.
Superman is wish fulfillment but not "muh I deserve to be a god". He's does what we all wish we could do, stick to our values and live a virtuous life that inspires others do the same. We desire to be like superman not for the glory of it but to do say we did our best to help create a world where truth, justice, and empathy for our fellow man is not the dream but the reality.
What makes Superman the greatest hero is that it's his humanity not his powers, that make him super and because of this we can all do the same.

>implying tumblr isn't the place where all the EDGY people that are actually unique special snowflakes that've had such a rough life hangout.
Your new is showing.

Straight white cis males would never know that feeling.

>What makes Superman the greatest hero is that it's his humanity not his powers, that make him super and because of this we can all do the same.
Nobody ever thinks that.

Tumblr would disagree with you.
Harshly.

How am I being racist? If anything, Superman is supposed to be the ideal ubermensch for white males, i.e. Donald Trump.

The late Dwayne McDuffie had to create Icon because black people couldn't relate to Superman. Granted, failed miserably by making Icon an Oreo but it's the thought that counts.

>Nobody ever thinks that.
read the comics sometime fag

That's because they get bogged down on the scope of his powers. The way I choose to read it the grandiose nature of his power, the fact he can tank a nuke, survive a blow from Darkseid, hold a building in one hand and save a little girl's ice cream cone from spilling with the other, is symbolic of the infallibility of his charterer. Superman doesn't buckle at the literal weight of the world because his will to do good doesn't fold under the weight of the world that all of us carry and most fail to hold themselves against.

Just don't reply to it. Report and move on to a salvageable thread.

There are more black people than whites who like Superman. White people have all the nerds who cry on the internet about things being "relateable"

>The late Dwayne McDuffie had to create Icon because black people couldn't relate to Superman

Source or bullshit

Because Icon is conservative as fuck and that's something that actually isn't relateable to a good deal of that target audience

>Oreo

So this really is a bait thread then, alright

>black person
>conservative as fuck
>not an Oreo

Batman is actually. What exactly is so relatable about him? Hell Dr. Manhattan as well.

Batman doesn't have powers and has to use his natural abilities.
He's not OP.

Yeah, I forgot that everyone can dodge bullets and break through solid brick walls

That still doesn't make himrelatable. Get out of here with your YouTube level of debating.

It's possible with enough training.
Nobody can see through walls or fly.

You are missing the point if you think having or not having powers make someone relatable.

Nice bait

>not op

Unfortunately you are the comic book "fan" that the movies are trying to appeal to.
You care about seeing the cool epic things that are deeply tied into the roots of comics but you still shamelessly self insert.
However you have enough self-awareness that when Superman punches an alien monster into orbit your fantasy is broken. So you bemoan it and whine about a charterer being shallow and miss the message about striving to be better than you are. So to placate you and separate you from your money they make more Batman movies so when you see a man do Olympic level feats and solve problems with his genius intellect you can say to yourself "That could be me if I ever decided to make an effort" and you get to indulge endlessly in your fantasy without having to grow.

No it isn't. Nobody will ever have good enough reflexes to dodge a sniper round shot at the back of their head

Has there ever been a more blatant self insert character than Batman?

I would argue that the concept of power rings lend themselves to self inserting. However everything about Batman's background is "wow /imagine if I had that". It's a shame really because he has some great themes that are overshadowed by writers appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Billy Batson?

I bet you unironically call successful black men Uncle Toms.

Which one is that one?

Only if you're an asshole who doesn't understand the idea of just helping others.

>Batman spends half his time in the shadows and Clark still can throw shade on him
I like this.

I think he means Elsa Bloodstone.

>Is Superman the least relatable superhero in comics?
Black Panther is an African King/scientist/billionaire warrior.

He's not even relatable to African American scientist billionaires.

>Nobody ever thinks that.
We have threads about it all the time.

>hold a building in one hand and save a little girl's ice cream cone from spilling with the other
And odds are he'll have waited to make sure the ice cream was okay before finishing up with the building. Superman is often more about the little things than the big ones.

Because he's an illegal alien.

MANDA-FUCKING-TORY

>In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.

>I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are.

>Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.

>Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman.

>He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale. His worries and emotional problems are the same as ours… except that when he falls out with his girlfriend, the world trembles.

That's the thing, Superman never sets out to save the world, he'd much rather it never need saving in the first place. He loses his powers pretty often, but what never changes is he's a guy trying to do everything he can to help.
He can just do a lot more than most people.

He'd be a dreamer, so he would be a legal alien.

Also, the Kents could have put him through the adoption process in which case he'd be instantly legalized.

A perfect world doesn't need Superman, after all.

>Also, the Kents could have put him through the adoption process in which case he'd be instantly legalized.
You actually need to adopt children from other people, or the state. You can't just pick up aliens from space. We actually have laws about that, extraterrestrials have to be turned over to the government.

We also have laws against mind control devices. We have a lot of laws based on fear and "what if"

Superman's at least justified, fucker's a solar-powered alien.

Batman's a human being but he's capable of shit no other human being is, to the point the DC Universe's U.S. government marks him as a metahuman. He's even more unrelatable.

Nobody can roast you like your best friend can.

Legally, hes a foundling, which makes him a full citizen of the US.

Ah okay.

Beautiful. Anyone got the Krypto origin, where (s)he's stuck in the Phantom Zone for most of Clark's life?

It remains shitty because he doesn't kill the fuck out of every scumbag and dump their corpses in a pile somewhere as a warning to other dirtbags

with the bat plot armor, he could easily do it

Why would I want my superheroes to be "relatable?" My imagination isn't so limited that I can only handle small, realistic fantasies. I want my heroes as godlike as possible.

>I'll probably have a lot of explaining to do about it one day
Can you fucking imagine some moon mission finding a goddamn dead cat skeleton buried underneath a Christian cross
And just trying to figure out what the fuck is happening

Do you consider bible belt farmers 'normal'?

The most successful black men in America profit off of racism.
Fuck them.