Why did Garfield's design get so much worse over the years?

why did Garfield's design get so much worse over the years?

Other urls found in this thread:

garfield.com/comic/1988/02/05
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because there's only so many jokes about being a cat, that Jim had to humanize him even further to reach for more jokes (if any)

Not worse, simplified. Easier to draw.

Are you blind?
90s garflied is best garfunkel

80sfield is objectively cuter.

80s Garfield is best, in my opinion. He's human enough to do more human things, but is still a cat and not some weird in-between creature.

Besides, the best Garfield is the actually cute one from that fucked up "9 Lives" special.

What the fuck even was life 7? He turns into dog? Why? How? What does that last shot imply?

They each have their own appeal. This is like people complaining about the newer look of Spongebob. But goddamn 78 looked bad.

Nothing beats the Garfield and Friends show incarnation.

>He turns into dog? Why? How?
That was the lab experiment he was subjected to.

I get that, but for what purpose?

It's the only good Garfield related thing ever made. Well, official Garfield related thing.

Too much smoking.

Why does Garfield even exist? I never met a single person who finds it funny

Davis didn't have much success with his other comics so he went out of his way to make as a comic that was deliberately generic as humanly possible so he could merchandise the hell out of it.

It is amazing just how effective it was. Even did case studies on what made characters such as Snoopy popular and limited exposure when popular to avoid fad status.

he's lost weight. what's the problem? he's still fat too

80s Garfield is best, you literally cannot refute this

As the strip became more merchandisable, it became more and more necessary for me to change the design to 1.) make Garf more capable of humanlike behavior and 2.) make him simpler to draw.

Cat Garfield (from the 70's-80's, when I actually thought Garfield being a cat was the strip's selling point!) looks a bit nicer, but he's also a bitch to draw over and over again.

The modern incarnation requires less stripes/whiskers/subtleties in the ears and face, so it's easier for an assistant or third-party to draw.

Which origin is canon for Odie? Pet of John's roomate who dumped him there, or taken as a puppy?

THE CAT HAS YOUR PIPE

He lost weight just like Pikachu did.

Kek, read it in his voice.

Borufo no Shinken

Cute tits jack.

fooolish samuraii

>not some weird in-between creature.
90s Garfield is a toon you furfag

Go away Nermal.

Name a better Garfield

This one ....Or Lasagnacat.

Same universe

He's right actually.

That's what happens when your author bites the dust

1990 was the peak, fight me

Gravity slowly reversed and so his cheeks started flying up along with his eyelids.

80's and 90's are the best. Also post the strip that is closest to your birth.

garfield.com/comic/1988/02/05

1980's looks adorable

user, he didnt die until 2009

Now do the one where he fucks Cathy

June 19, 1978. I was nine years old.

I like this one best.

I remember playing a dingle odie flash game and a catch the lasaga flash game years and years ago

Damn it, Shin! I told you to stay out of your father's liquor cabinet.

80s a best

#GarfieldWave

sexy

>because there's only so many jokes about being a cat,

and yet heathcliff never ends

that long ago?
huh.

This stinks

IIRC he started taking art advice from the master of deteroriating art styles

Yep

Personally, the closer Garfield is to a cat, the funnier the strip is

I'm not a fan of the "human legs" era

1950s is so cute what the fuck man

I miss cute garfield

it's the feet that weird me out. What the fuck is even going on with them

To be slightly fair here, it wasn't just the designs, Schultz actually got arthritis later on or something like it that made his hands shaky

Ah, yes. The eternal question.
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Once you notice the change from a proper cat nose to a lazy little dot, you can't unnotice it

I'm so sorry

Dude his hands where literally going to shit. I know we like to shit on art decline but sometimes there's external factors

Fuck.

You can tell the designs changed too.
It's like 50/50
Ever notice how all the merch still keeps Lucy in her dress? Never should mess with the classics man

That's a shame. Those 1950 designs look beautiful.

That just makes me appreciate it, because I never noticed he had a proper cat nose at all.

Cool. We're two years apart.

Birthday buddies for life whether we like it or not.

I wish they made more merchandise of them

>Also post the strip that is closest to your birth.

Figures.

Lucky me, born on a Sunday.

But then you miss it.

A bit too on the mark this one

80s Garfield is patrician

If someone who can draw can extrapolate his eyelid to total eye size evolution forward into 2020 I'd be very grateful.

t. Calarts student.

Worse.

Have you seen Garfield strips recently, it's 90% cut and paste. Very little drawing involved. Perfect for Davis's workmanlike sensibilities.

That means it's worse.

>I have... mem-o-ries.

Actually isn't that bad

Looking at Garfield's current design, this panel doesn't look as silly anymore.

Why hasn't garfield's design changed for 17 years?

why the fuck do they require my birthday just to view the site?

At first I thought it'd shunt me straight to the comic of that date. But then I had to wonder the same thing.
Maybe Garfield is 18+ only without any of us realizing it.

it's most likely really blatant demographic tracking

It's easy to forget that Linus and Lucy used to be noticeably younger than all the other kids.

And thus began my life.

Schulz did have hand tremors in the last few years of his life, you can see his linework start to deteriorate in about 1995. But he had been simplifying the art style in Peanuts since the 60s. The early years of the strip had much more elaborate artwork.

>Schultz actually got arthritis later on or something like it that made his hands shaky
Essential tremor.

in the comics, he was lyman's dog, and there's no in-universe explanation as to why odie stayed when lyman was written out
in the specials and cgi movie he was adopted by jon