So just to be clear

he was Trying to kill himself here, right?

Yes. He thought about committing suicide after what happened with Sarah Lynn and Penny, but then he saw a bunch of wild horses running free and had another epiphany. This is what, his third or fourth now?

The sun was merely in his eyes. There's quite a bit of sun in the Sunshine State.

He should really buy some sunglasses

There was the pool, but what other occasions has he tried to kill himself?
>Anyone get the feeling he's going to die in the end because that's how Horsin' Around ended?

I think other user meant third or fourth epiphany, not suicide.

I thinks it is three. Season one with Diane saying she doesn't believe in being a different person deep down and that you are the choices you make. Season two with the monkey telling him it gets easier every day, but you have to do it every day and season three where Todd told that being an ass and then feeling bad about it isn't good enough and for him to stop using excuses like drugs, alcohol, his parents, etc, and take responsibility that he's the reason he's an asshole.

Bojack just needs to heed all this advice. Am I missing any epiphanies?

>stop using excuses like drugs, alcohol, his parents, etc, and take responsibility that he's the reason he's an asshole.
But those are the reasons he is an asshole, not his existence as BoJack Horseman itself.

monkey was the last scene of season one though

Monkey was the last scene of season two. The Please tell me I'm a good person was the scene from season one.
Both of those season could have been the finale of the series, in season 3 the creators knew they had season 4 in the pocket already so that's why the ending is so open in comparison.

He chooses to drink too much, he chooses to do drugs, to languish in his past rather than rising above.

No, it was season two.

Yes. He felt he was stuck in an endless cycle and the only way to end it was to get off the ride. Season 4 will have a metaphor using a broken down merry-go-round.

I never see these moments as suicide attempts.
More so recklessly seeking freedom, to 'let go' of it all. All responsibility, control, etc.

Those actions are reactions to a shitty childhood, not something done in a vaxuum.

He let go of the wheel, but as far as suicide options go, he was fairly safe to do so. He wanted the pretense of suicide but he's too much of a coward to put himself in real danger on purpose.

It's actually a matter of Nature vs Nurture
Todd's "It's just you!" speech and Bojack's Mother claiming that he was "born broken" seem to imply a heavy leaning on the Nature side of things but can be viewed as them simply making excuses to shield themselves from the ways they've negatively affected Bojack's life.
even if it's ubibtentional it was one of my favorite things about the Writing of Bojack Horseman.

Nature would explain his love of alcohol tona degree, but his narcissism, insecurity and calousness are better explained by nurture since he has shown a capacity for empathy under certain circumstances, and by the fact that his parents were shits.

True, this is why I interpret both Todd and Mama Bojack's statements as shields, they know they've both directly caused a bunch of negative shit in Bojack's life but it's easier for them to foist all of the Blame onto his back, claiming that even without the negative impacts they had on his life that he'd still be miserable.

>More so recklessly seeking freedom, to 'let go' of it all. All responsibility, control, etc.
That's what a suicide attempt sounds like.

Both have different motivations and meanings. Bojack's mom was despicable and deflecting her own feelings. Todd was trying to make it clear that it doesn't matter what his underlying reasons are, it's still him choosing to do things and treat people how he does.

i would say both speeches were more about nurture. bojack was "born broken" because he came from a broken household, and that was all he ever knew and grew up with. he lost his chance at being normal because of an abusive childhood. no matter what he does in the future, his past is still going to remain and poison everything he touches.

the "it's just you" speech is less about his past and about his present. todd is sick of bojack making apologies, feeling sorry for himself and then doing the same shitty thing again. you can't blame your parents, or your fucked up headspace and think that's an appropriate excuse to make when you do a shitty thing. this is also mentioned by diane in s1 - you're the sum of the things you do.

bojack's mother argues bojack will never be better because he came from poison. todd argues bojack can be better, even says outright "you HAVE to be better", but chooses not to be because it's easier to say you're poison and blame it on your shitty upbringing.

Please respond if you know:
With the past seasons, after they were put up, how long did it take for Rips to appear? Thanks.

IIRC season 3 took about 5 hours. Might have been less, can't quite recall. But it certainly wasn't long.

Thanks man. Hope it's that or less longer this time too.

>tfw Mr. Peanutbutter's arc is going to be a season-long "parody" of the 2016 campaign

Bojack Horseman never works when it preaches. Hank Hippopopolous, Diane's abortion...these storyline just drag down the show and they're way too heavy handed.

He doesn't choose to be a shit person as much as he never had influence from, and a basis for what is, a positive person in his formative years.

Add Hollywoo to that, and you've got no escape from being a horrible person

Even Butterscotch and Beatrice must've had similar things in life happen to turn them into such assholes.

Saying "you have a choice" is easy when you're not the one faced with making one against what you've held to be true all your life, in this case, being a shitty person is normal.

What about the owl chick and her shit about rose tinted glasses and red flags?

I want to see the standard Bojack formula broken for the 4th season.

Seems like that might be the case - maybe not for how it ends, but going by reviews the bulk of the episodes don't really focus on Bojack himself.

The abortion brought Brap Brap Pew Pew so it was worth it

General reminder that Todd is allowed to be asexual, because he's a fictional character

I appreciate the word play, but you know what I mean.

He's going to become truly happy and then immediately die in a freak accident

>Even Butterscotch and Beatrice must've had similar things in life happen to turn them into such assholes.
They did. She was the heiress to some "old money" industrialist tycoon stereotype, so was likely used to everything being handed to her as long as she met the social obligations of being a woman in the old money clique. But married outside that society, so now had to contend with life being "poor" but still had to fulfill the obligations of her background. Bojack was her ball and chain keeping her married to fulfill the ideal of a mother not divorcing.
He was a working class, pulled himself up by his bootsraps, stereotype. He worked hard his whole life and scrambled up from the bottom to become reasonably wealthy, but still "poor" to his wife's bacground and never able to meet her expectations because he wasn't born into money. Bojack was his sissy weak son who didn't have to work as a child like he did and he didn't know how to give a childhood to.

This was how I saw it. He was basically like "Oooh, hands off the wheel! I'm gonna do it!" but he knew it was a safe maneuver considering his surroundings.

I've done it too

>I've done it too

>tfw Bojack finally achieves happiness by shooting an Arab

>season-long "parody" of the 2016 campaign
The season was written before Trump became the GOP nominee. Stop spreading this fake news. Is not like Trump is the only celebrity turned politician in the US

Everybody wants to die, but nobody wants to die.

He's not trying to kill himself very hard. He's just doing things where someone/something else will take care of his emotional problems one way or the other.

yes. I envy him

But Bojack has seen the consequences of all his shitty actions. As much as his broken childhood has shaped him, at some point or another he has to either climb out of that pit himself or die. No one can do that for him.

They can be, but the goal is different.
Suicide has the explicit goal of killing yourself, while what BoJack is doing can result in his death, but that's not the goal.

Diane's abortion was not only great, it wasn't really preachy. It was pretty mundane.

>great
that's a little much

The abortion was great, BRAKKA POW POW, bitch.