What did Sup Forums learn from Secret Empire?

What did Sup Forums learn from Secret Empire?

That Nick Spencer is a ___

I learned that Marvel's actually going to fucking do it again. They're going to crash the industry AGAIN, just like in the 90s. It's disgraceful. And they'll feel no shame in it, either, just like they didn't feel shame the last time.

Nothing, because i will never read it

That Sup Forums will shitpost about just anything

To not buy Marvel even if there's a few titles I enjoy

to thank god I finished buying the Punisher MAX and Black Panther complete collections before I read this shit so I don't have to give Marvel money anymore

I learned from Natasha after years of intense CQC super spy karate training that the best way to stop an attack is to block it with your neck

If only DC wasn't shit enough to stop it

Marvel are a fucking joke, also cosmic cubes save the day yet again

I learned Frank would betray all his values and the very core of his being to work for a supervillain because they promised to bring his family back.

That event can't not only affect the quality of all the books involved, but also of the board.

That annual events are fool's gold and an outright repellent to new readers and demographics which are desperately needed to keep the industry afloat

Marvel can't crash the industry by themselves.

Marvel can only crash itself.

if Marvel crashes, stores crash, and if stores crash, the industry as we know crashes

Stores aren't solely dependent on marvel, and have been less so in the last few years as everyone else has gained marketshare while marvel has been shedding readers.

I don't think you quite grasp how catastrophic losing 40% of your business would be, especially for comic stores with razor thin budgets

Fucking kek, every single scene of this mess is so goddamn half-assed it's unbelievable.

I don't get upset over shitty events if I don't read them.

I would say the biggest take away from all this is don't insert your politics into escapist fantasy, but anyone who isn't a retard already knows that and Marvel will never stop doing it.

That captain falcon should have beaten Captain hydra.

Fuck this timeline.

But only for Steve-sempai

You realize that when marvel "crashed" before that they didn't stop making books, right?

You realize the 90s crash basically killed the industry and it's been limping along to a slow death ever since, right?

I learned not to care. About anything.

I actually don't think you have any idea what the comic crash of the 90s was, how it came to be, or what the industry was like prior to the bubble that precipitated the crash.

He just wanted to crash because he hate comics.

>Comic industry sales grow year to year steadily
>No the industry has been slowly dying ever since the 90s!
Okay.

Pass the Ike.

>individual issues were selling in the millions and the hundreds of thousands regularly
>now it's a good month if the #1 comic breaks 100K

During the bubble, that was unsustainable and fueled by a mad influx of idiots thinking every comic was going to be worth thousands in a decade or two.

You know that that period was literally a blip on the entire comic industry's timeline, right?

X-Men #1 sold in the millions, nothing else really did, maybe Death of Superman and some other stuff.

The crash was due to spectators and Marvel thought it would continue. DC's Vertigo books continued selling more both during and after the crash cause those books cared about story not gimmicks. Marvel hasn't given a shit about story since 1989.

That all problems can be solved by a cosmic cube.

That civilian lives aren't important if it makes you look like a liar on twitter.

That no matter how hard yiu try and force a successor, the original will take back it's mantle.

Not every story needs to be made into a big event (I'm looking at you Brevoort).

That you can firebomb a bank and almost kill people and be rewarded with a superhero identity (as long as you're black).

That comic writers and editors should be banned from twitter.

That Narration boxes can be annoying as hell.

If I ever make it successful as a writer I am flat out avoiding social media like the plague. Well Id be staying the course I guess but you get my point

>That you can firebomb a bank and almost kill people and be rewarded with a superhero identity (as long as you're black).
I didn't follow this dumpster fire, what's the background on this?

>That comic writers and editors should be banned from twitter.

No one in a content creation capacity should use social media for anything but promotion under their actual name.

I am AMAZED so many people don't get this.

I only read a few issues towards the end but I learnt marvel is a joke.
I should read the rest.

Fascism is cool.

nothing

If Marvel bombs wont stores start selling more gook oriented stuff?

>Even Rick 'Frankencastle' Redemer gets Punisher better than the nu-writers at current mavel

No. If they thought they could make money from that they would already be doing it. I'm shocked that Sup Forums doesn't realize the majority of comic readers are massive character fags

Its been like ten years since social media became a thing. I still don't understand how after all this time big corporations don't have "don't talk about shit on social media or your fired" clauses in their contracts. I have to sign stuff saying I can't say so and so every-time I get a new job. Why doesn't Marvel?

Context?

Weird.
Oh well, here on Balkans we dont have comic only stores,we simply hold 1 wall in book stores for comics and mangas.

you only notice because they post leftist shit, Ethan Van Sciver is just as bad but he's a conservative.

>Nobody buys car A anymore
>Market for cars B C D through Z collapses

if car A is 40% of every car dealership's business, yes.

Sup Forums doesn't know what it wants

Don't start this up again. We don't need to go through and tell you how you don't even know what the last crash was or how it came to be, or the effects of the crash itself, again.

Yes it does.
It wants good comics.
But Marvel keeps handing it shit and saying "this is gold."

If nobody has been buying it all this time than it doesn't make a difference. There's no sudden drop off from 40% to 0. That 40% of comic buyers aren't gonna vanish off the face of this flat earth.

I do notice conservatives doing it, I'm talking about all of them. Like how are these PR departments so bad at keeping their employees from offending customers on twitter?

>Marvel forces you to read it's comics

it doesn't, which is why Sup Forums knows what it wants: Not Marvel

Is crashing the industry next step of Marvel's master plan?

>DC can't beat our market share if there is no market to share!

It does not force anybody to read.
They do force lcss to buy them to inflate sales numbers.

You underestimate the autism of cape only plebians. Just look up the current shitstorm around the Mosaic writer.

I learned that only shills tried to defend Punisher joining Hydra, and they didn't even do a good job of it.

remember that time they used The End as justification for why he would join Hydra

Politics has no place as a centerpiece in comics. Fuck pushing your ideology, just make good stories.

>DC only makes decent comics and flops in the theatres
>Marvel decides to crash the comic scene and leave DC with It's failing movie industry holding on to Wonder Women 7: The search for Equality

That just tells me they didn't get the point of The End.

LCS arent forced by marvel to buy their product. That's not How the free market works.

T. Newfag

Nothing we didn't already know: Marvel events tend to have a strong start, but end feebly.

Kind of like a booger.

Not him, but because of the diamon distro monopoly marvel has been strongarming shops to have to buy more of some things to get shit they actually want.

Some shops have put their foot down and abstained, but others fear shedding customers to competition.

They recently did a deal where in order to get some special books stores will have to double their standard orders of the regular books, which has my LCS super pissed off.

>They recently did a deal where in order to get some special books stores will have to double their standard orders of the regular books, which has my LCS super pissed off.
Haven't they been doing it for a while for variants?

nothing on this scale

Some stuff, but if I recall correctly they haven't outright demanded you order double before. I think this is like a new high for the demand, which isn't sitting well because people weren't moving books at less than those quantities anyway.

That it's one of the last nail on Marvel's coffin.
Personally, I feel the writing's on the wall for the comic book direct market - sales have been lousy for years, nobody gives a shit about reading capes when they can go see a cape movie instead (cape movies being arguably better than most cape comics, too), and the money is in merch now. If Marvel goes in any meaningful way, LCSs will be reeling even more than normal, Diamond will be reeling, and creators will be reeling too.

I could talk about this for a while, but suffice to say, comic books have little place in a world where production is expensive. It got its subsidies from the 30s-70s from cheap production from the economy boom, and now that those subsidies are starting to run out, nobody can afford to pay creators, consumers can't afford to to keep up with floppies, and comic books stores can't afford to keep the lights on. It's a doomed industry, and we're going to have to learn a thing or two about the post-Napster collapse of the music industry in order to make it through the years ahead. That, or just accept that comics will increasingly become a labor of love and nothing more - settle for breaking even and then maybe the medium (not the industry) will finally be able to revitalize itself into being something respectable again.

>Inb4 "Just Because the grand super event #139 Marvel shat out is bad, doen't mean all marvel comics are bad."

I'm sure a handful of them are good, but most of it is actually pretty terrible. And that's not necessarily the fault of any particular writer or artist, it's just the nature of the bloated beast that is modern continuity. There's no stories for story's sake anymore - every new thing has to be internally consistent with 1000's of other books made by 100's of other people, it has to reference events and characters in those 1000's of books, all while trying to do the impossible and inject some kind of novelty into every new issue.

America is a story for story's sake with little relation to continuity and it's awful

Al Ewing's works are absolutely riddled with continuity, and they're great

The blame for this is on the cape industry, but it also falls squarely on the diehard fans too. They're the ones that wanted continuity, they're the ones that kept artificially inflating sales every time universes rubbed shoulders in the early days, and now it's all just one big morass. Without being chained to canon, cape stories would have had the flexibility required to remain relevant.
But when MCU fans come walking into a comic book shop for the first time, what do they see? T
hor's a woman, the Hulk is dead, Captain America's been turned into a goldfish or some shit, and the only way to make sense of any of it is to buy $100 worth of trades, or hunt down backissues, and who wants to do that?
The landscape as it exists right now caters exclusively to those people who have no problem dropping 30 bucks at the LCS every wednesday, who have longboxes at home, and who can quote you a series and an issue for any given event like an evangelist can quote the bible.

I gave up on reading comics about 3 years ago because of it, and frankly, I cannot wait for these publishers to learn this the hard way.

It's worth noting that this is being done simultaneously for DOZENS of books, like 50 plus, for the legacy relaunch, so marvel was demanding a HUGE order increase knowing stores won't be able to move the product all so they can claim their sales went up 100% on the relaunch and claim they beat DC rebirth sales.

>And that's not necessarily the fault of any particular writer or artist, it's just the nature of the bloated beast that is modern continuity. There's no stories for story's sake anymore - every new thing has to be internally consistent with 1000's of other books made by 100's of other people, it has to reference events and characters in those 1000's of books, all while trying to do the impossible and inject some kind of novelty into every new issue.

Horseshit. The problem isn't continuity since they barely have continuity as it is for the last five or so years.

Coninuity, as long as it's handled by one or two writers can be perfectly fine. When a character has been written by 12 different people and everyone has a different idea how to make his run "special" or "unique", is fucking cancer.

>continuity is the problem
>not terrible writing and editing, overpriced books, and general quality control

It's the soap opera problem: The series is never allowed to end, so it twists and turns in on itself to try and keep things going long past the end of the story. Then you have what looks to me like desperate attempts to stay relevant by appealing to demographics or a game of one-upmanship over previous writers.

>others fear shedding customers to competition.
So it's a choice and they aren't forces to do shit.

Just so you know, it's more than 40%.

From the dedicated Marvel fans, some of them will go to their LCS and pick up a few DC titles along the way. DC sales drop with Marvel sales.

hack

Paper media has been dying for years anyway.

nothing that hasn't already been learned

i feel like changing the ending of SE & the resurgence of X-books are probably signs of disney stepping in and if legacy flops we'll definitely be seeing a shakeup to some degree in marvel's corporate infrastructure.

at 4 to 5 bucks for an add filled 20 page rag I understand why. When I can get the trade for 10 to 15 bucks when Im patient I see no reason to buy floppies

I work in local government(I work at a city library) and I'm so constrained in what I can post on public social media it isn't funny(I'm allowed to post privately of course).
I've basically given up on social media because of it, I can't imagine why Marvel and other companies let their people post like that.

Because they value their employees ability to express themselves

Nothing because there was nothing presented to be learned. It was empty.

What I learned from Secret Empire is
A) Spencer again is great writing ground heroes and villains, not so much write a goddamn event.
B) Don't insert your politics into escapist fantasy, because it doesn't work that way in a 75+ years publishing comic industry.
C) Kill Ike The Kike
D) Never actively provoke people with a "revelation" if you aren't prepared to handle the bantz.
E) Steve Cap best and (after all the shitfest with Sam and how he was handled) only Cap left, thank goodness.

That Nazis are the strongest and best ever and they only ever lose because weak losers ask god to cheat for them. That was the message of this book.

Let's not forget that Sup Forums was sucking Spencer's balls until the "Barfina" incident.

HydraCap was called "the best written Captain America" and Secret Empire was called "the best written event" by people here.

People here were saying that a liar and backstabber is totally worth of Mjolnir because worthiness is just a matter of self-esteem.

People here were saying that Frank Castle would totally work for mass-murderers if they give him the means to hunt small-time criminals.

All things considered, I learn not to trust Sup Forums.

Sup Forums loves alt right fantasies where Nazis take over the world. That's all that is, wish fulfillment since it'll never happen irl

Beneath every white man lurks a fascist

>95143343
>Sup Forums loves alt right fantasies where Nazis take over the world.
Nah, Sup Forums loves stories where the villains are presented as more human-like than your casual comics, you'd understand this if you weren't such a faggot, baiter-kun.

Same in Poland. Well, it's like one long shelf for comics and mangas. SOMETIMES it's separate small self for mangas. Sometimes half of the long shelf is issues of Thorgal.

Comcis are inherently political. I mean original 40's Captain America, Superman and Wonder Woman were political, X-Men were political many times, Green Arrow and Green Lantern was political, Watchmen was political, Ultimates was political, I could go on and on.
The problem in Secret Empire is that the ideology wasn't pushed well - it took backseat to the wanking over Steve to the point it flipped message on it's head.
Spencer wanted to be all "inspiring book to stood up against the nazis" and shit but kept masturbating and it turned into "Nazi strong, remove Juden!".

Honest question, do SE or CWII deserve the title of storytime of pain?

Thorgal is bretty based.
We also get Italian Boneli comics.

The Hulk solo series is a real victim of this.Just look at every run he's been in for the last ten years and see how convoluted and nonsensical it all is.

In Spain we have comic shops, less every year, but my shop has a floor for comics, a floor for warhammer and similar board games and a wall with manga, aside from figures and all kind of geeky merchandising.
The shop actually won an award for either the best comic shop of Europe or the world a few years back.