Why would we waste our money on this? It's supposed to be stealth, but its clearly visible. Navy seals why?

Why would we waste our money on this? It's supposed to be stealth, but its clearly visible. Navy seals why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Obviously not. That tugboat drove right into it.

I don't see anything. OP is a fag.

Ayyyy Lmao. Fpbp

It's to prevent detection by radar you fucking idiot.

Also, it looks like a god damn star destroyer, and has rail guns and shit

kek

kek

I dont see it OP, you need your eyes checked out dood,

>OP is a faggot

Why is this goys?

so why do planes fly low to avoid radar, do the navy know about this?

You faggots stop memeing

Kek

Lol stealth Vs invisibility? OP u Iillle troll ya

nice

I don't see a pic related at all.

>doesn't know about plasma projection to hide visible wavelengths

fucking pleb

Waste our money on what?
The tugboat?
The water?

Wow you're right, wtf the navy are stupid.

All I see is a giant iceberg ...

>S.S. Invincible
>can clearly see it

*sonar

STOP GET OUT GET OUT GET OUTTTTT

duno mate i jus see the sea??

>invincible
>complaining about being able to see it
>invincible
Fucking leafs man.

are you fucking thick? It would be dangerous to have an invisible ship docked in the middle of a harbor. Cloaking is activated only on the open sea.

>Torontonians are this retarded

in·vin·ci·ble

too powerful to be defeated or overcome.
"an invincible warrior"

Waste our money a tugboat? You know every port needs one right?

you're ok this time australia

its clearly a joke you autistic sperg lord

I don't get the aesthetics behind "stealth"

it doesn't seem like it follows the laws of nature

Saw this on the news. It apparently has a radar signature that looks like a fishing boat. Stealth is mostly about radar visibility. We're not at the point where we can make things invisible to the human eye or cameras. Though camouflage works well for that most of the time. Especially for jets I think some are made to blend into the sky.

couldn't they at least paint the thing aqua blue? you're welcome Navy, you can keep the 25 million consulting fee you owe me...........

wtf I hate the navy now

Top kek!

How many did they build?

They are painted grey because it blends with the horizon.

>It's to prevent detection by radar you fucking idiot.

Jesus CHRIST you fucking autist. WE KNOW.

I don't understand the concept of stealth fighters. Supposedly they're indistinguishable from birds on radar, but what bird can break the sound barrier? Do they have to fly them at the speed of birds all the time or render the stealth obsolete?

pls into how radar works

I'll admit I was on board with the DD-1000 project at first.

It was billed as a larger Destroyer, with a larger flight deck, a stealthy all-internal bridge & sensor mast, and long range fire support guns capable of lobbing shells really far inland to support troops in a hypothetical landing operation, basically replacing the functionality of the old Iowa class battleships.

Seems like such a good idea! Basically a bigger Arleigh Burke with genuine shore bombardment capability without having to rely on Tomahawk cruise missiles that cost millions each.

But then the results came out.

USS Zumwalt:
>20 VLS modules, with 4 vertical launch cells in each module, 80 cells total.

>2 × 155 mm Advanced Gun System with 100 mile range Long Range Land Attack Projectiles.

>2 × Mk 46 30 mm gun

>2 SH-60 LAMPS helicopters or 1 MH-60R helicopter

>3 MQ-8 Fire Scout VTUAV

Arleigh Burke Class
>96 total cells for VLS

>1 × 5 in/62 (127 mm/62)

>2 × 25 mm

>2 × Mk 32 triple torpedo tubes

>1 × 20 mm Phalanx CIWS

>2× SH-60 Sea Hawk helicopters

So basically I just can't fucking fathom how the Zumwalt ended up costing so much.

It is literally handicapped compared to the Arleigh Burke.

I don't think the Advanced Gun System is even capable of shooting down missiles or enemy aircraft the way an Arleigh Burke's 5 inch is.

So it's just a total mystery. What the fuck was the point of the Zumwalt?

We're keeping it anyways. Just like all the other money we owe.

You know what else avoids radar and has been in use for over 100 years?

Submarines.

Excellent posting guys.

Ask a US Naval Officer anything. I wanted to get assigned to the Zumwalt so I did some research on it.

Straya never change.

The point is to pretend to be a fishing boat returning from a big catch and go on the offensive closer to the coastline.

Why are there no submarine aircraft carriers?

Are there submarine aircraft carriers?

It doesn't on purpose.

A flat surface only reflects radar signals back to the radar receiver on ONE exact direction. A rounded surface reflects back to the receiver on essentially ANY direction. That's why stealth planes look flat as well.

Reminds me of te boat from tommorow never dies one of the terrible brosnan bond films.

Hope we get to play war games with something like that when I'm deployed.

It looks like a fine surface target.

Its a joke, you pretentious spergs

Do you guys have fun?

youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Think dumbass if the radar thinks it's the size of a bird it's not gonna track it have you ever seen birds on a radar screen holy fuck

you know what isn't nearly the same tonnage as the HMS hood, and which does not contain a railgun?

submarines

Navy planners are caught between a rock and a hard place.

We need a replacement for the Arleigh Burke class. Something modern and much smaller on radar and more range and blah blah blah protect a carrier strike group. However nobody knows what the next 50 years of war at sea is going to look like. More missiles? Drones? Submarines blowing the fuck out of everyone? Submarine drones? Or maybe we'll just be doing amphib ops non stop and we need bombardment capability.

It's even worse for cruiser and frigate replacements.

Classified ;^)

Yes but why wouldn't you just add an exception to the filter software?

If the bird is exceeding mach 1 display object.

Sometimes. Sailors gonna sailor. Things have gotten much less fun over the last few decades as political correctness has set in and media has started non-stop reporting on shit sailors do in port.

Like we'd tell you, Hillary.

Blame women.

Not all radar return is tracked by the computer.

Generally you can't distinguish a bird doing mach 1 from 99 random random returns from space, water vapor, rain, whatever.

They're called "SLBM launchers"

Naval Officer aka the guy we search for to let us off for the at when chief hides. It doesn't filter it because it's small, the return is so small that it doesn't pick it up. Every ship would add exceptions for what you describe if they could. You might not have thought this through.

Is it possible it's currently under equipped to make space for later up arming with new gear? If it's going to be the next big thing might as well make room for the next big boom.

>So basically I just can't fucking fathom how the Zumwalt ended up costing so much.

Contracting corruption? It's called the iron triangle.

kek

Nah man diversity is strength and it's great having women in the navy and it never causes problems :^)

Actually on a serious note women do alright in the Navy. The Navy is a very technical branch that only rarely requires brute strength and typically requires attention to detail, especially in the modern navy with 3M governing maintenance. So it works out okay.

No, there will only ever be 3 of the Zumwalt class.

Thanks congress.

>Naval Officer aka the guy we search for to let us off for the at when chief hides.

Sailors try this on me all the time. I tell them if they want me to give them liberty without talking to chief I will walk a few spaces and inspect them, if I find shit they're staying until I'M satisfied, nevermind chief.

Nobody's taken me up on the challenge yet.

Except they were all bitches and got out of everything by getting pregnant or fucking the OIC.

Even the lesbians were fucking their petty officers to get off watch.

More like thanks navy for wasting all their money on the LCS.

>LCS
Please don't talk to me about that. Thanks Halsey I dodged that bullet.

Not all of them, user. Just a lot of them. But to be fair some sailors will try anything and everything to get out of watch/duty/going underway.

I know there's a reason why it doesn't work, I just wanted to understand why they can't simply defeat the technology by using the speed of the object to give away what it really is.

This clarifies it, but aren't some missiles small enough to pose the same problem?

That's just a cardboard decoy. The real ship is 200 feet behind it.

Let's be honest, that boat is not only visible but it's also ugly

>This clarifies it, but aren't some missiles small enough to pose the same problem?
Now you actually are getting into classified territory. Ask any professor who knows about radar to explain it.

hahahhhaahahah mad cunt

J'ai ri

The Zumwalt is gayest looking destroyer ever to hit the ocean.

That said it can fire a 155mm round over 100km with a 50m CEP at a rate of 10 rpm per gun so I guess that's ok.

Not that we ever call for naval fire support in our current theaters.

ALL OF THEMMMM

tbf most I worked with were good in the clinic, just easy shore duty work.

When I went greenside with Mardiv there were no females, so it was smooth sailing.

>it's visible

where is it now?

We will when we need to storm the beaches of Russia in a few years.

Do you have enought downtime to watch anime and play games?

Excellent.

>being a fucking retard
>getting called out on it

g...guys...I was TROLLING LOLOLOL

A FUCKING LEAF

Why does the US have no submarines? Seems like we should petition them to update their available warships. Maybe we could tell them that they should have a submarine or two. They're pretty much idiots, the ones who decide what we field.

What are you talking about? The US Navy doesn't have "stealth tugboats" you autist

Its effectively invisible to the eye at great distances, or in less than perfect visibility. Didn't you read the caption?

Its effectively invisible to the eye at great distances, and in less than perfect visibility. Didn't you read the caption?

Well thanks for the insight. It's not often you get a chance to speak to somebody who knows about this sort of shit. For the sake of you all in the Navy, I hope they have a solution.

I've been through enough real world war game scenarios in the Army to know that we won' be storming the beaches of Russia when we fight them, but can use naval fire support in the intended theater anyway.

Death to Donovia.

What are you talking about? Thats a tugboat, dipshit.

*radar

lol
i laughed harder at this than him

>make a stupid joke
>get 20 (you)s
WHY CAN'T I DO IT WHY IS IT SO EASY FOR OTHERS