JSA Storytime: Enigma

Good evening owls,

we arty and gay now

>now

true

see, we already /d/

I love Milligan. Shade and Deathstroke were both really good today BTW.

I didn't think the Bendis thing was as bad as made out, it was just typical super egotistical Bendis shit.

The only new comic I read today was captain Phasma so that feels good...

Reading a lot of Kirby has fucked my pacing sense, I'm like why'd this take an issue and not 2 panels

Hello, Storyteller.

>we arty and gay now
... Last time I indulged in something arty and gay, my emotional investment was shat on by an outrageously awful ending.

Max and Chloe deserved to be together, dammit! Fuck butterflies.

I love that Shade actually had a Poochie ending (or something close to it)

I heard mixed things about Dastardly

also, naked vacuuming mainly sounds uncomfortable

They do end up together m8.

feels good to win the Dickwar for a bit even though it won't last

It was weird and it's unclear what kind of story Ennis is trying to tell with it.

Also hope any Florida owls are not in the line of that monster/are able to hunker down

?

That was re: Nightwing, also a nice Helena thread torterracotta/status/905557820824748033 (warning: I don't know this guy so the rest of the account might be cringe, don't really care to check)

I like it. Apocalypse by toonforce.

ohhhhhhh

I haven't been reading Nightwing

This is such a different weird from Mr. X

This story is amazing. Thanks for posting!

nice choice OP, I love Enigma

I'm not invested in Dickships one way or another but Defacer annoys me so it was nice to see her get BTFO

It feels very Hellblazer, tho IIRC Milligan's Hellblazer wasn't that well received.

I haven't actually read this before so we're all in it together

I do think know if I've ever seen anything saying "We want the Sandman audience" more than that cover.

You're not missing a ton. Though I guess the reading guide for Rebirth Nightwing is mostly "read the arcs that ape the runs you liked before". So, Dickbats + Spyral = fun and Dixon = into the trash it goes.

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen Feredo interiors, only covers

Yeah, I think it has potential too. Looks like it could be some wacky Ennis stuff.

LOLOLOL

it has a mind of its own, yes?

A lot of the Vertigo books from that time period have the same kind of covers. I think maybe Morrison's Doom Patrol (though that was before Vertigo formed) might have been the earliest influencer

That's an interesting take and I have a soft spot for teacher characters

It's very of the time Vertigo

>Helena has a cadre of adorable minions
>they fuck off back to school at the end of the arc instead of joining the Birds of Prey with their teacher
What a disgusting waste.

Huntress and the Skullgirls. Has a nice ring to it.

it was one of the first new books launched under Vertigo, even

this is interestingly un-sexy for what could easily be done as cheaply sexy

Also that can't be comfortable

I don't think comfort is meant to be a factor.

I just finished Box Brown's Tetris. Was not expecting as much philosophical history of games in general as it had.

When I think Doom Patrol covers I always think Simon Bisely, which is about as far from Sandman as you get.

Your post makes me unreasonably irritated because not only did Fegredo do work on Sandman he also did work with Milligan on Shade the Changing Man.

Vertigo books of this era were defined by their covers in a way I wish more comics were. Who gives a single fuck if it has the look of a Sandman cover (which were mostly fucking rad and more so than the interior art anyway). That cover is interesting, it's got some weird Crow Hunchback of the Phantom up front and a twisted ancient spinal column in a dress on the inset. It's good.

He's done quite a bit of interior work, especially on 2000AD/Dredd and Hellboy.

Will Joey ever NOT suffer, anons?

>wanting BOP to ruin the Skullgirls
Anyway that would make Helena interesting and BOP cant have that.

Would it be cruel to say that I kind of hope that it drowns The Golf Course?

Joey was made for suffering

he's so cute while he does it

Irma taking out MAL and heading back to sea would prove to me that there is a God, in fact

And Glenn Fabry on Preacher. Bachalo on Shade the Changing Man. Vertigo covers were A Thing and often nailed the feel of the book even if they weren't fully reflective of the interior art.

The British Invasion brought in a lot of artists too.

>Five genders

Pfft. How are you supposed to be able to self identify with such limited options?

Joey was made for tender loving with a 40 something year old man.

Thanks OP. Great book. Wish they'd release a hardcover for it.

It's Vertigo-era Milligan at his best. This was also a recommended read in Morrison's Supergods book.

someone needs to tell Priest that if Étienne is a woman (and that's not a woman's name, it's the French version of Stephen and French names are unavoidably gendered), she's a fiancée, dammit

Hurricane Matthew was almost a year ago, and the same people have to go through it again, thought by predictions it could likely be worse. I've got a bunch of friends in South Georgia that are all packed and ready to go, but their jobs won't let them leave unless there's an official evacuation.

this is the concentrated /d/ we've been missing

this is also a good option

he should get back with zombie Ikon, their love was pure

>that would make Helena interesting
Exactly. They're wicked little cuties who give their matron something of substance to do through her teaching these trained assassins to be superheroes.

But like you said, that would be interesting and entertaining, so of course it won't happen.

Is the thing not that Étienne and Joey did not see Étienne as a woman, though?

Christ, my tablet posting is barely fucking readable.

Oh, it makes total sense- why not sell things by appealing to fans of your runaway hit. It's just really, really obviously doing it.

If you want way, way more /d/, there is always Extremist, also by Milligan and McKeever (four issues)

I thought it was just a joke anons did because I read it as her parents are "enlightened" because they gave a girl a boy's name or something lol

I'm not sure if that's the intended subtext or if it's just a bit confused

It also drove me nuts when a purple-prosed sf/f author named her heroine "Severin", sooo

I wish Glenn had gotten to do the Saint of Killers mini interiors. His painted interior art on stuff like Slaine was something else.

Also apparently it's just a miracle he's alive, Ennis tells a story about him being piss drunk, falling off a moving train and not being found til the next morning.

>A primitive person is one who doesn't drive a car

That's what I get for having good public transportation

I hate you.

Especially when Séverine is just a better name, right?

Is there any evidence to Etienne being trans besides having a dude's name, though? There aren't any characters that have referred or hinted that she's anything other than a born woman and Slade doesn't seem like the kind of guy to nonchalantly bang a tranny

I mean yeah the name is kind of weird but remember that KOTH episode with the girl named Michael

It's a fantastic name! And this isn't one of those things where there's drift like Ashley and Lindsey, you know?

>tfw you will never have love so pure that you kill your ex and they forgive you for it

it hurts

He's my fave Slaine guy overall, I think. Bisley is probably the most popular Slaine artist, I guess?

This is getting fun

Faggot OP shows some great taste finally.

Okay, THAT is some straight up SCP shit right there.

that's fucked up

Joey's suffering is like 30% of the draw of the book for me

Love how you read this page back-to-front. Sets the pacing of all the panels.

This is some kinda guy

What are some gender fluid comics? I know a lot of gender and performative mango but haven't really come across western stuff of that kind. Maybe it would be problematic, so that's the reason for the lack of it? I don't know.

the soundtrack for this is what, a zillion Cure albums?

Hey it's that guy from Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN™ available at all good bookshops!

Jericho's gonna kill himself one of these days though.

AND NOW a preview

The Cure feels a bit too upbeat for this.

Shade, the Changing Man (also Milligan) dealt with this a bit.

I was reading Doom Patrol and was reminded of you and OP

I never had a goth phase so I'm underlistened there, but maybe Sisters of Mercy, IDK?

>Shade, the Changing Man (also Milligan) dealt with this a bit.
Yeah I meant to say aside from earlier Vertigo stuff. There has to some alternative of mainstream shit that panders to my sensibilities.

>Justice League
>evil future Aquaman on the cover
>not actually in the issue
It's like this book is actively seeking new ways to suck. Wolverine beat you to it, pal.

>"We have to kill Wonder Woman."
I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. Gargareans are shit. Hunter, you stupid pissant.

>Rock Hudson

Desu OP I think skipping a conventional goth phase and going straight into opera is actually None More Goth territory.

This is way more like dark industrial music IMO.

there are some astonishingly grim opera plots--I can't think of anything more nihilistic than Rigoletto

Hey it's psychiatrist and his wife from Alan Moore's WATCHMEN™ winner of a Hugo award!

This is a very surface level reading of a unironically deep book.

The sequel to The Secret Service comic wasn't as FULL SYNERGY as basically every bit of press had led me to believe.

Which was nice because I liked the low key nature of the characters in the first.