This show was abysmally written but it didn't have to be, all it needed was more snively

this show was abysmally written but it didn't have to be, all it needed was more snively.

This show, like every other Sonic show save one, can take pride in the simple fact that they never had Jaleel White voice a teenage girl.

What about the time Jaleel White voiced Sally?

You sure you ain't thinkin of Pink Sisterhog?

It just needed more Rotor.
I've seen a character go through so many drastic redisigns. Like what the fuck is everyone thinking? What happened to consistency?

It's literally impossible for it to be as good as Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic just flat out does not work when he's played seriously.

I'd say he had mixed results with the Bugs Bunny act too, frankly. Fell back on the disguises too much.

sonic OVA/CD cinematics? just keep it simple

it was actually written pretty well and it would have been great had it gone beyond 20 episodes

guess the corporate media doesn't like characters who leave IEDs in robotropolis. freedom fighters are terrorists to corporations. maybe they didn't like to see robotnik as the villain

The comics was Satam done right.

For the first 40 issues, yeah.
Then it became as needlessly maudlin as the show.

dude, there weren't enough episodes to make a judgement call of it being bad. how was it maudlin? you mean compellings?

It was a fairly heavy dystopian series where thre main character was a fucking blue cartoon hedgehog who ran fast.

>26 episodes
>not enough to figure out it was bad

I'll never understand why SATAM fans try to insist their weirdly off-tone cartoon is how Sonic was interpreted the best. I always hated it because it was nothing like either the comics or games. The comics at least kept it goofy up until Endgame. It didn't take itself nearly as seriously as SATAM.

Sonic OVA had a pretty good balance of comedy and action, I wouldn't say it's serious.

> We should talk about any iteration that isn't Boom
I'm going to pray for you this Sunday

>abysmally written
No it wasn't. It had a lot of great episodes and a great atmosphere. The great episodes were in the minority, sadly, and season 2 took a major nosedive.

But yeah, Snively was the most underutilized character in the franchise. We get fucking more Big The Cat than Snively.

Boom is pretty overrated. Half the show is just reused burger jokes but it makes a meta joke once in awhile and everyone creams their pants.

well compared to AOSTH i mean. it's not a straight comedic like that or boom, it's just generally lighthearted

AOSTH is entirely comedy with absolutely no story. That isn't a bad thing.

However, I think the OVA does the franchise more justice. Sonic should have story. It just shouldn't be so... edgy.

I would love to see the principals of Adventures applied to an original cast with no SEGA or Sonic Team to bow down before. It had the humor of Loony Tunes with the pacing of a modern internet cartoon.

>That isn't a bad thing
i didn't say it was

>weirdly off tone

it isn't off tone, dude. they're rebels. it's dystopian. the villain is destroying forests and enslaving animals into mindless robots. what don't you fucking understand?

>everything has to be goofy

not everyone is sycophantically high spirited

>I always hated it because it was nothing like either the comics or games.
I'll never, ever see this as a valid complaint, no matter how many times it comes up, because who the hell was so invested in the games' characterizations and stories to care whether the cartoon bore any resemblance to them? No one who grew in the 90's, that's for sure. I can see how someone who grew up on 3D Sonic might think SatAM is way off base. But back in 1993, no one gave a shit. No one.

Also, the comics were based on SatAM, not the other way around.

Locations and enemy robots. When SatAM came out after Sonic 2, there were 16 zones and tons of badniks and bosses that could've been utilized, but nope, Swatbots and a big fucking forest. Of course kids weren't invested in the games stories, but it sure as hell would've been cool to see cartoon Sonic blazing through Star Light or Chemical Plant, racing around loops, busting up robots, fighting bosses, turning into Super Sonic, you know, all the things he does in the video games?

I didn't direct that at you. It was directed at my previous sentence, which could have been misconstrued as a criticism against the show.
This. The SatAm hate meme is old. It's time to move on. It started as contrarianism but eventually became the popular viewpoint, all without ever losing its smug "DAE" tone.

I agree, but let'alet's be honest, none of the sonic animes or mangas have ever translated these locations, either. They don't really make much sense, when you get down to it. The closest we got was the Sonic OVA featuring the springs and spike traps from within the stages.

Hate Robotropolis all you want, it was fucking cool.

>off tone
>tone policing

tone policing is a logical fallacy, not a valid argument.

this was the most compelling shit i'd ever seen when i saw this as a kid other than the ending scene of neverending story with the wolf. this episode right here, the themes of freedom and enslavement. this was the lynchpin of the show. it was so crucial to understand what this meant. i never forgot this.

I feel eternally cheated because this show always started right as I had to leave for school. They never released any VHS tapes for rental and only the first two issues of the comic where I live.

This was THE show I wanted to see as a kid and I never could. None of the misfortune in my life since has even come close to this setback.

A Ben Hurst and Pat Allee, of course. They always wrote the most compelling episodes. I don't what happened to Pat, but for the remainder of Ben's life he supported fan efforts to resurrect the show and had even went to DiC and SEGA with a pitch for a third season.

>A Ben Hurst and Pat Allee, of course.
*episode

Ones that remember SatAM are faggots and ones that forget its negative example are retards.

Antoine was a very offensive French stereotype. Fuck that show

Feels like you're just being contrarian, then. I can buy someone doesn't like sitcom-y humor. But if you didn't have access to the internet and the opinions of people who love it you probably wouldn't hate it so much.

>CD cinematics
There's literally nothing to them. If you're arguing art style preference, fine. But if you're arguing Sonic should strictly be him running from point A to B in animations, that's fuckin dumb.

Hating in it for being "nothing like the games" is pure anachronism, you're 100% correct. SatAm was the FIRST substantive lore given to Sonic.

>Also, the comics were based on SatAM, not the other way around.
Actually the comics started a bit earlier. SATAM, AOSTH and Archie comics had sort of a similar "guideline", and the early issues of Archie combined the feel of AOSTH with the designs of SATAM.

It's about the tone, the atmosphere more than the lore. I could believe that AOSTH Robotnik was the same guy as Classic Eggman. Not so much with SATAM Robotnik.

The three main robot minions were also directly lifted from enemies from Sonic 2. A bit redesigned, but still clearly Badniks from it.

And Robotnik's Egg-o-Matic/Eggmobile with different attachments to it. Robotnik would personally go on missions and fight Sonic, like in the games, instead of mainly sitting at his base.

Although, to be fair, SATAM had Buzz Bombers.

>it was actually written pretty well and it would have been great had it gone beyond 20 episodes

>Had 26 episodes, more than 3/4 of which was completely incidental and added no new information, characterization, or alteration to the status quo.
>Had 7 primary cast members, 8 if you count Nicole, only four of which get any significant screen time and two of which have anything resembling development or character agency.
>Literally resolved its final episode with an asspull.

Why are the only people who praise this show the ones who don't remember it or didn't watch it?

This, and even then like 1/3 of that content is made up of melodramatic duds. Gallagher and DeCesare did a nice collection of comedies and dramadies that worked well with each other.

AoStH had Jaws.

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with SaTAM other than IT DIDN'T USE LOCATIONS FROM THE GAMES.

Mario 3 and Mario World used locations from the video games, and those shows are low-tier, ESPECIALLY Mario World.

>one turns animals into robots and wants to build an amusement park centered about himself at price of ruining all the regulations
>other turns animal-people into slave bots and wants to establish his legitimacy of a ruler of some rural land
Gee. I sure like how everyone keeps saying "Beside these unnoticeably minor inconsistencies that also make up a total worth of show's lore, this is totally what Sonic is about!"

Mario World cartoon sucked but Mama Luigi was GOAT.

It was pretty 90's. I dont know if its the best sonic, but it was pretty good for what it was. Robotnik was a little too lord an emporeor like. The idea robotnik was winning was pretty good. Thats the dark reality of the sonic games. Every robot you see is an enslaved animal. At the end of levels, you free more captured animals. Theres giant meachnical levels possibly constructed by robotnik/eggman. The show took those elements and ran with it.

No, it's actually the best option. Characterization and plot/drama and all that bullshit just attracts furries.

>I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with SaTAM other than IT DIDN'T USE LOCATIONS FROM THE GAMES.
Here you go.

>other than IT DIDN'T USE LOCATIONS FROM THE GAMES
It didn't have the atmosphere from the games, that's the worst part.

>wants to establish his legitimacy of a ruler of some rural land
Game Robotnik wants to do that too. The difference is in the style of how he does that. He's an intentionally goofy villain that, nevertheless, often pursues non-goofy plots.

SATAM Robotnik doesn't FEEL like the real Robotnik, unlike AOSTH one. It's a completely different villain.

>Hate Robotropolis all you want, it was fucking cool.
It was definitely not cool enough to carry the show forever. SataM and the Archie comic's biggest sin is that their setting has always been boring as sin compared to the originals. It's just plain forest or dingy gray city forever, maybe with some desolate mud thrown in if you need a change of pace.

Yeah but it didn't really matter cause we got Sonic SatAM and everything was okay

I'm French and I fucking love Antoine.

I liked it at the time. I have no intention of revisiting it though. I want my memory of it to remain nostalgic and untainted by adult cynicism. It was a good part of my childhood and in the hazy mists of childhood shall it remain.

Oh fuck off.

Willful ignorance is a terrible thing.

Only if he wants to come to threads and argue about how great it is when he has no real idea.

Otherwise, let him have his nostalgia.

SatAM was a terrible show. You can tell by the writing and concept art that it was meant to be one of the dozens of 90s talking-animal-shows that attempted to rip off the Disney Afternoon shows before having Sonic slapped onto it. It tried to be serious but had more convoluted stories than AoStH and worse voice acting than Underground. And at least Underground and AoStH had entertainment value from their utter silliness. SatAM, on the other hand, is a series that ends up being either annoying or boring.

I'm just giving my thoughts. And what would even be the point of revisiting it now? My memories of how I felt back then are more satisfying than the tiny superiority I'd feel picking it apart. I've got nothing to gain and nothing to prove by shitting on my own nostalgia.

>promoting Underground over it
If you want to call it more of a spectacle over being so much more of a trainwreck, I suppose.

But Underground used SatAM as a basis for the plot and just slapped siblings and Windows Movie Maker songs over it.

Concept art pic related.

>"Stop having this opinion because you shouldn't argue back to me"
Nah fuck you. Years that I had these opinions to have mobs jumping my throat for criticizing a sacred show because clearly you must be a humongous weeb to dare not like a westernized show.