Transformer Alt-forms

>Optimus Prime is always a truck
>Starscream is always a jet
>Bumblebee USED to always be a Volkswagon Bug

And that seems to be about it. From generation to generation, it seems the details of what a given autobot or decepticon changes into seems to be up to the show runners and whatever hasbro might want to push.

So what choices would you make if you were told to slap on whatever vehicles you'd like to see your favorite Cybertronians turn into.

For the sake of breaking up autobot monotomy I had thought:
>Elita-1 - Very Light Jet, something like a cross between a Cirrus SF50 and a HondaJet (also, even VLJs are kind of big, so it would give her a more comparable size to Optimus)

>Rachet - Medical VTOL akin to an AS332 SuperPuma with elements of a V-22 Osprey

>Ironhide - Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (Fitting of being incredibly tough and kind of dated but still invaluable. Plus he could stick out as perhaps the only Autobot that'a dedicated military vehicle. Or rather: he's an old warhorse)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QPntjTPWgKE
youtube.com/watch?v=zCrRV6fVcxU
youtube.com/watch?v=Kppx4bzfAaE
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/401134
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like the current trend of Soundwave being some kind of THICC vehicle. I don't know why it just seems fitting, like some gangster ass truck or SUV that you could imagine music blasting from

Soundwave should be a Kia Soul

Sound wave being a UAV in prime was pretty good

Ironhide being an A-10 is a god tier idea for the sole reason of giving him a GAU-8.

I dunno, I kind of liked Prime;s version of him. Aerial Spy Drone with a spindly body and just so fucking eerie.

Then again, maybe it's because I do just adore taking the menacing genius of Soundwave to that level: where he stops seeming like a sapient being and more like Big Brother personified for Decepticons and Autobots alike.

>Soundwave could easily be any military or security vehicle with some LRAD weapons mounted on it.

Reason why I said a Kia Soul is because visually its sort of a callback to his boombox days and its more inconspicuous than a military vehicle, at least in an urban setting. Transformers Animated Soundwave had the right idea

I actually hadn't thought of that and am now imagining the potential hilarity of Ironhide picking his altform because he found a GAU-8 Avenger Gatling gun and the A-10 was the only alt form that he could incorporate it into without looking ridiculous.

though, this and starscream's altform often being an F-15 or f-35 based fighter brings to mind an interesting limit Decepticons would have to deal with Autobots might not for a TF series: International attention.

Say the goal of the Decepticons and Autobots is in Russia instead of the US, Autobots can roll out easily because they're all pretty much civilian vehicles.

On the otherhand, Russian government then hears about an American fighter making strafing runs on Russian soil and guess what's going to happen?

Soon when America can prove "not us!" Starscream basically ends up a literal UFO that every military in the world tries to shoot out of the sky because to them, some rogue yahoo stole an American fighter and flew off with it to joyride around and shoot at road-going civilians.

I feel like Autobots who have always been sportscars should always be sportscars. Which models they are can change.

I think Sideswipe and Sunstreaker should stay Lamborghinis, just more modern ones like an Aventador. Hot Rod should be a sports car too; if he's not going to be some futuristic car, make him something American like a Corvette or a Viper.

Jazz, I feel, should always be European. I once plotted out my own Transformers series that had him as an Aston Martin. Of course he could always be a Porsche again, too.

while I understand the idea and am curious (I mean like what would be done with Prime) I do hold osme mild concern since, part of why autobots ended up less popular than Decepticons is just the rather samey-bodies from all being based on common cars.

Again, I'd still like to hear more, who else did you have in mind as what?

Well, obviously certain things can't change. Ratchet, for example, is an ambulance, and Prowl is a police car. Not some fancy police car, either; I would just make him a Charger, that's about as out-there as I'd go. And of course Prime is a semi-truck.

Ironhide was a Humvee. I took a lot of inspiration from Bayformers Ironhide, whom I rather liked, though he has G1 Ironhide's personality and close friendship with Prime.

Wheeljack I actually made a Ford Super Duty tow truck, going off the notion of him as an inventor and engineer; the towing arm would become his shoulder cannon, which in this version would have actually been a multipurpose probe and tool. Arcee would be a motorcycle, as per normal, probably something fancy like a Ducati.

As with Ironhide, I took a liking to Bayformers Bumblebee's aesthetic, so I wanted to replicate it; however, I also wanted him to not be so big, so I made him a Scion FRS, so he still has the Bayformers proportions but on a smaller scale.

Rounding out the cast was Jetfire, who was going to be a newcomer to the team, arriving in the first episode. My idea was that he lands in France and takes on the form of a Dassault Rafale, which I've always liked.

And that was the main Autobot cast: Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz, Prowl, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Arcee, Wheeljack, and Jetfire. At least that's how it would be in season one; there would be additional castmembers coming on in future seasons.

>Soon when America can prove "not us!" Starscream basically ends up a literal UFO that every military in the world tries to shoot out of the sky because to them, some rogue yahoo stole an American fighter and flew off with it to joyride around and shoot at road-going civilians.
It's also worth noting that often, the Decepticons are less interested in disguise or general tact in dealing with other worlds than the Autobots

>Soundwave adopts gangsta SUV form complete with graffiti decals neon lights and all the trimmings
>looks fly as fuck
>Just one problem
>He hasn't got a fucking clue what counts as legit rap cuz he's a fucking alien
>mfw he speeds down town playing shit like this youtu.be/QPntjTPWgKE

Kek

Agreed. Kind of perfect.

I also liked him being a satelite in ROTF.

I'd like to see that

There's been several concepts of that idea

youtube.com/watch?v=zCrRV6fVcxU

That just looks depressing

Lost Light 9 cover by Nick Roche.

upload the issue please or link me to it please.

So, is it safe to say Transformers has ultimately won against TMNT as far as kid boy franchises go? Transformers has remained relevant nonstop while TMNT just pops up now and again with new efforts to light the initial fire again which usually fail

Sadly, I haven't got the issue. I hope someone can post it

G.I. JOE: First Strike #1 Preview

Micronauts: Wrath of Karza # 5 Preview

>cobra commander with the fucking towel on his head
worst cobra commander

It didn't last long, but stealth bomber Megatron was one of my favorite alts for him.

>his

Fucking kill me, this is not my beautiful cobra, this is not my beautiful commander

I like when Prime is a firetruck.

He's pretty fly for a 'Con spy.

Fav megatron alt?

Galvatron

It's kind of hard to pick, mostly because about all the Megatrons are cool. Except maybe G-1, and I always thought him turning into a pistol and needing someone else to fire him was pretty lame.

I guess I lean strongest toward Bay/Prime alt-modes of him turning into a cybertronian war ship.

Wow, when was the last time he did that? I kind of liked it too.

>implying the decepticon's communications and intelligence officer wouldn't figure out earth culture within arriving in the solar system
>implying he wouldn't do that on purpose just to fuck with everyone.

For some reason I never liked it when Megatron was a jet. I mean I get that decepticons can mostly fly, but come on.
At least animated made him a helicopter though

>implying you don't want a blissfully ignorant Soundwave unironically blasting some obscure serbian rap magic while thinking he's the epitome of human style and blending in perfectly

Man I loved M.A.S.K as a kid probably more than Transformers but have zero knowledge of G.I. Joe. Should I be reading this?

Also that is a fucking terrible drawing of a Nissan 300zx (presuming that's what the Manta is still supposed to be) it looks more like a deformed Ford Capri. Those hips on Cobra Commander though.

>Soundwave rolls up to some homies
>Operation: I'll blend right in
> youtube.com/watch?v=Kppx4bzfAaE
> their fw

Honestly either the Cybertron Megatron dragster mode or DOTM Tanker Truck. Jet and Tank honestly are boring IMO.

>Blaster's face when

>Optimus Prime is always a truck
Except the times he was was a car
Or that one time when he was a bullet train

What about jet AND tank?

Blitzwing keeping it real over here

I liked the idea of Soundwave being some type of satellite.

>Doomshot
Really?

Or ROTF's weird flying jettank
_____master names never mattered anyway

Bayformers are not bad designs, many of them are quite good. It's just that they are too busy in motion combined with Bay's style of making every action sequence a roller coaster ride and not letting you see any of it

>Stealing Blitzwing's whole shtick

Alright, I'll concede, that is pretty great.

Another concession I'll make. Something to make him more unique from Starscream.

Without stealing from others.

Though I still do like the Bay/Prime idea where Megatron doesn't adopt an earth-based alt mode out of disdain for human technologies.

As one person said when the original Bay movie came out: the virtue of Bay's designs was that the transformers looked like Alien robots who turned into cars and not just robots in car-armor like some automated madmax world.

But, that was about the only highlights of the Bay movies, really.

I also still liked the idea of Bumblebee having those cardoor wings.

Actually makes me imagine an alt-backstory for Bee where he USED to be a flyer scout for the Autobots, and at some point his T-cog was damaged in a way that cost him his ability to use flight Though maybe he could retain jumpjets to boost his agility.

So anyone else besides ever imagine their own TF continuity?

Astrotrain, Blitzwing, and Octane had "pretools" released first in the form of Sentinel Prime, Megatron, and Optimus.

I thought Galvatron also got a pretool

Optimus is still a truck, but his trailer is another robot and the name "Optimus Prime" refers to the combination of the two.

Thankfully Octane proper got better wings, and the new nosecone is nice too. His shoulder bits can be kept up to homage the Universe toy or folded away to have a more classic look.
I'm pretty sure Galvatron's the only Voyager class toy that DIDN'T get another use.

I liked him being a helicopter.

>tfw everything is always a trukk
>rfw there will never be munkies again

The Bay movies have their place, I'll never understand people who outright hate them....

Sure they're not great, but they bring in money and keeps the brand alive for kids, I think most people who have a hateboner for them either are newer fans who didn't live through the 00's or are older fans who forgot Transformers even existed, ironically, until the Bay movies made it popular again in the mainstream

How the hell did I forget about Primal when Beast wars was what got me into Transformers to begin with? (I was actually alive during the latter-half of Gen-1 but missed it as a kid and my brother couldn't operate the VCR to record episodes, nor did he want to record them for either of us)

I guess you have a fair point there. Every Generation/continuity has it's flaws and issues. And sometimes those flaws are outright homages to other generations or continuities that even got praised originally.

But why?
also
>Megatron's slight bulge
I feel like I've seen this character design before.

I think you're being presumptuous and far too forgiving of what's become a two trilogy exercise in wasted potential.

Confused. Very confused.

I wouldn't mind being hammered by that Breakdown.

That's kinda why I don't like Megatron being both. It takes away from what makes Blitzwing special.

>So anyone else besides ever imagine their own TF continuity?

all the time.

My Optimus is basically a hybrid of Optimus Primal and TFA Optimus Prime, with some Captain America. The father to his men type, also despite being the "Last Prime" really doesn't care for all the stuff and baggage that comes with it (longass backstory why)

Megatron would be a mix of Beast Wars and Armada Megatron, a charismatic overtly theatrical warlord, he's the bot that wants to rule the universe as he believes it's his birthright. Sometimes can set aside his pride and need to conquer to face an evil greater threat though, does somewhat care about his minions too.

Hot Rod, would basically be MTMTE Rodimus if he were allowed to grow. Also inspired by Kamina and Joseph Joestar (young), an idiot hero with charisma.

Cyclonus, basically the combat butler from G1 with a life debt he's paying off to Megatron. He'd turn into a helicopter like the Armada version but otherwise G1/IDW esque.

Jetfire would initially be a neutral mercernary found in stasis on Earth (like in G1), personality is basically like the Unicron Trilogy version, a space cowboy, he has a Aussie accent like in Cybertron and his deco scheme is basically like the ROTF/Dark Skyfire colours. He joins the Autobots and becomes Optimus's best buddy over the course of the show. Kind of like Depth Charge from Beast Wars if he learns to be a team player.

Starscream, Megatron's protege, a prodigy from the Seeker academy but very arrogant, foolhardy....but initially not treacherous. He gets coaxed into doing that and it backfires horrifically. Maybe eventually becomes more like the Armada version.

thoughs?

I like it, especially
>Hot Rod, would basically be MTMTE Rodimus if he were allowed to grow. Also inspired by Kamina and Joseph Joestar (young), an idiot hero with charisma.

This is great.

Anything on any of the other autobots or decepticons?

Because humanizations and genderbending are practically standardized rules of the internet. Well, gender bending actually is (R36)

Hell, check out this one: danbooru.donmai.us/posts/401134

For awhile there were even pitches of a Transformers fan series here (okay, it was mostly me an one namefag) during Animated's run about autobots and decepticons being forced to effectively fuse (or outright possess in Starscream's case) their sparks to human hosts while their bodies mended.

I ever love Elita-1's head and made me ask myself what her alt-mode can be.

>I think you're being presumptuous and far too forgiving of what's become a two trilogy exercise in wasted potential.

I don't think so at all, Bayformers saved TF from mediocrity and going the way of G.I. Joe just like Friendship is Magic saved My Little Pony

All of these are disappointing

Bumblebee would basically be The Simon to Hot Rod's Kamina. The little brother figure, basically a less annoying more cute TFA Bumblebee. Again would grow up, near the end he starts to resemble more like his modern incarnations (Prime/RID adult scout type)

Thunderblast, because I grew up on Cybertron. Basically the bratty ojou ohohohoho type. A fun, flirtatious type, also wants Megatron senpai to notice her.

Wheeljack, basically the G1 character's build shit that doesn't work cranked to the max. He's be a drunken mess, has a bit of a survivor's guilt complex, is a ex-Wrecker like in Prime. The Wreckers in this continuity were a military engineer corp (think like the DOTM Wreckers how they were engineers and soldiers at the same time), The original roster was (Leadfoot, Roadbuster, Topspin, Twin Twist, Wheeljack, Bulkhead, Iron Fist and Whirl).

Barricade, I picture him as a Decepticon undercover cop, with a sharp silver tongue, smooth and able to manipulate any pawns (examples being Jolt and Swift) to join him. He also killed Prowl's boss and mentor figure Checkpoint too.

Prowl, kind of a mix of IDW Prowl's calculating bastard with some of Depth Charge's need for vegeance. Dangerous, adversarial, cunning. Later on he goes from a hot headed renegade to the cold calculating bastard we know and love to hate. Basically Rossiu from Gurren Lagann.

Jazz, Prowl's partner and one of his few legit friends. A cool friendly guy. Basically he tries to keep Prowl from going off the deep end. Also listens to music, too much sometimes not listening to orders, he just moves to the flow of the beat.

Scavanger, basically Early Armada Scavanger when he was a Decepticon mercenary but not an Autobot. Basically brute force muscle but cunning enough that he eventually sets up the rest of his old Constructicon buddies to be reborn on Earth to recreate Devastator.

What is "snucks" with a backwards n?

That's a badly drawn U.

I am curious, have you seen any good humanization art?

No, really curious because I've seen Transformers humanizations span hell's half acre in both quality and the human-robot ratios.

>Wheeljack
>Survivor's guilt
>Wreckers

I'm guessing all the other Wreckers you mentioned did not survive.

I thought it very clever for the Bay movies but they absolutely fucked up everything else.

Most Wreckers don't.

>I'm guessing all the other Wreckers you mentioned did not survive.

It's kinda spoilerly for me to tell who else survived.

if i ever got it made, i don't want the answers already out there.

why not make it? I mean, sure it'd be a fanfiction but still.

I don't know of too many fanfics that try to create their own TF continuities.

I might be writing my own if I could solidify a few things and not find it potentially abhorrent as a setting.

Animated was the last time he was a firetruck, but I really like the Robot's in Disguise design for him.

>>rfw there will never be munkies again
Primal is getting a new toy next toyline that has his Optimal form be a transforming power suit for his season 1 form.
Megatron actually having both at once has only happened for that one toy, so there's nothing to worry about.

A good amount, I lost most of my collection but the best few I've seen is a rule 63 racer Jazz, a covert ops breakdown, papa soundwave, secret agent longarm/shockwave, mexican hitman lockdown and the series pic related is from which is a bunch of medieval fantasy TFP designs.

Designing humanformers definitely ain't a walk in the park, but there's more to it than making the hair basically the helmet, the armour the clothes and having the same color scheme. Convey the personality and themes, not just through the expressions but also in how they carry themselves and what they wear. In that beach pic if I took away the helmet hair and the swimsuit colors then half the characters there have just lost the conveyance of what character they are.

Eh, I think it totally depends on the artist's intent and what they're actually trying to achieve as well - I mean that beach pic is just fun cheesecake. You're not gonna spend hours upon hours going through concepts and design stages just for a cheesecake pic. Maybe if you're seriously trying to design humanisations you think could be used for a hypothetical show as a personal project you might, but obviously that wasn't the intention there.

>that beach pic is just fun cheesecake
You know I can't have any fun user :(

>I'll never understand people who outright hate them..

After the latest one, I think I can.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt for years, but sheesh.

When even the TFW2005 movie board is almost universally agreeing it sucks, you know something is up

>I am curious, have you seen any good humanization art?

Animated gave us some good ones.
And official ones in the cartoon.

>Hot Rod should be a sports car too;
Hot Rod used be a pontiac firebird
i think he would be better as a roadrunner

okay, I admit it, that's an amazing looking humanization.

Wait, that was done officially? Because... just... My god, Starscream's chin translates horribly onto a human.

If that's Starscream's chin then I sure as hell don't wanna see Sentinels