Animal depictions in cartoons (and live action tv) that everyone often gets wrong in real life

St Bernards do not carry around liquor in cold weather. Booze and subzero temperatures do not go well with your body.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E6Qh3VTmtxU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_raccoon_dog
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cheetahs roaring in cartoons? Prepare for total letdown 'cause they actually make bird like chirps and are more housecat than lion.

That ostrich head in the sand thing is outdated. In reality they're consuming rocks to aid in digesting and when trouble comes the ostrich is more likely to kick your ass.

Never, EVER try to suck out venom. You're more likely to spread infection at best and get envenomated yourself at worst.

do cats like milk?
do mice like cheese?

>do cats like milk?
Yes, but they're biologically lactose intolerant

>do mice like cheese?
Mice like anything, but peanut butter lasts longer in traps.

Trying to punch a shark in the "nose" will end with you being stumpy. Go for the eyes instead

>Adam ruins shitposting
Stunning work, it's too bad we're not ten-so we already fucking know, and this isn't a click bait article my retarded aunt posted to Facebook.

>Booze and subzero temperatures do not go well with your body.
Found the weak southerner

>live lobster is red

But St. Bernards WERE used as rescue dogs by the monks that lived in the Alps.

The "barrel of booze" thing is from a 1820 painting by Edward Landseer and it just kinda stuck.

Rodents got into cheese because cheese has to be stored for a long time before it's ready. Or alternatively it was an explanation for the holes.
But mice were most damaging to grain and the best thing to put in a trap is a piece of ham.

>everything that has been mentioned so far in this thread
>all birds are chickens and/or pigeons
>every wild cat is a regular house cat
>a fish is totally fine in a bowl and can stay alive as long as there's any sort of water
>elephants afraid of mice
>LITERALLY ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE CAN BE A DOG

>male kangaroos with pouches

>male mosquitoes that suck blood

>female moths attracted to bright lights

Do rabbits really eat carrots?

>Skunks smell 24/7

Granted, yeah, skunk spray is pretty damn foul but they don't always stink. Usually skunks spray as a last resort and when they do, they got to wait a couple weeks to recharge the smell. Still, a good idea to keep your distance if you ever encounter one in the wild.

Yes, but they like cabbage more.

All wild animals stink like shit, and creatures that live in burrows and eat carrion even moreso.

No. Rabbits, in the wild anyway, don't eat root vegetables. Bugs was the one that made that idea popular. I believe him munching on a carrot was based on a real person (can't remmber who).

It reminds me of Groucho Marx chomping on a cigar, which is more than likel what it's based upon.

>Owls cannot turn their heads around 360 degrees. At most, they can swivel them around 270 degrees

>Chipmunks have long tails, not short stubby ones like in Chip and Dale

>Hippos aren't docile, laid back creatures. They are fucking dangerous and can move remarkably quick for their size

it was the same guy he stole "What's up, doc?" from

According to wikipedia
>Bugs' nonchalant carrot-chewing standing position, as explained by Freleng, Jones and Bob Clampett, originated in a scene from the 1934 film It Happened One Night, in which Clark Gable's character Peter Warne leans against a fence, eating carrots rapidly and talking with his mouth full to Claudette Colbert's character. This scene was well known while the film was popular, and viewers at the time likely recognized Bugs Bunny's behavior as satire. Coincidentally, the film also features a minor character, Oscar Shapely, who addresses Peter Warne as "Doc", and Warne mentions an imaginary person named "Bugs Dooley" to frighten Shapely.

Hedgehogs aren't actually able to walk bipedally, as the structure of their skeleton prevents it.

All of that wise-cracking? Just a myth. Hedgehogs aren't generally capable of speech, or indeed any higher brain functions.

Fastest thing alive? Not quite. Recent scientific research suggests that an average hedgehog's land speed has a long way to beating the sound barrier--or indeed, a baby-on-a-tricycle barrier.

As soul-crushing as it sounds, a real-life Sonic the Hedgehog wouldn't be able to stop any of Eggman's schemes, indeed he would probably get crushed by one of his robotic vehicles while trying to cross the street. In fact, a real-life hedgehog would not feel motivated to stop Eggman, due to being unable to comprehend the metaphysical concepts of evil and justice.

What do they carry?

Elephants are afraid of mice.

>likely
>in other words, it's not at all certain
>it's possible they were confused
>we just have no way of knowing, unless 1) someone finds a written account of an audience member's reaction, or 2) someone invents a time machine and goes back to the '30s to see for themselves

Yeah, hippos can really fuck shit up.

>Elementary school is basically just Mini-Highschool where the students all move from class to class and later hang out the same way teenagers do without *literally any* measure of adult supervision.

This *always* pissed me off as a kid. I *think* Hey Arnold and maybe Peanuts are the only cartoons I recall that basically got elementary school right and HA still kept cycling through some teachers. And I'm not trying to espouse helicopter parenting ideals of the present but I sure as shit didn't know any 9-12 year olds who were given complete free reign to go anywhere in town at all times when I was that age. I suppose that one is more of a handwave to allow the characters to, like, go do shit with a plot, but the school aspect always bugged me since it felt like the writers didn't know how to write anything but high school.

If I'm not mistaken, Elephants aren't afraid of mice specifically, but because they can't see their feet they start to panic if they feel something small moving below them. So if a mouse started running around next to one, it's probably lose its shit.

The booze barrel was long thought to be a legend but recent findings have pretty much proven they were a thing.
It's existence is contentiouis at worst, despite all that the "DEBUNKED!!111!" websites say.
t. Switzerland

Bulls hate the color red. It's actually the movement of the matador's cape that bothers them.

>Lockers in elementary school
I don't recall there ever being lockers in my elementary school (we hung out backpacks on coat racks), although I suppose there must be elementary schools like that, since I read a Peanuts strip that had a character say, "we don't have lockers in our school".

They also don't have great eyesight and their trunks are very sensitive so they tend to avoid small bitey rodents. Mythbusters actually did this one and you can see a big bull elephant stop dead in its tracks when the deploy the mouse dummy.

youtube.com/watch?v=E6Qh3VTmtxU

Like No Irish Need Apply signs were said to be a myth till someone found a bunch in old classified ads.

Very few types of cheese have holes big enough to be caused by mice.
American "Swiss cheese" is closest to Emmentaler, basically the only type of cheese with cartoony holes.

Isn't "go for the eyes" a good all-around strategy against animals? Eyes are usually pretty weakly defended.

didn't the amount of sugar in carrots cause health problems on rabbits?

come to think of it, I was always annoyed by all these disney comics where Gyro Gearloose keeps inventing time machines, intergalactic starships, teleporters, a self-aware AI with hopes and dreams (Little Helper), yet he's still depicted as a down-on-his-luck obscure tinkerer living in a hovel when by all means he should have an entire fucking warehouse of Nobel Prizes by now.

>or maybe they just legit thought that rabbits ate carrots
>again, who knows?

It can be

It's so fucking cute.

that's yellow orange

In French Chip and Dale are reffered to as squirrels, I assume because we don't have chipmunks.

Yes, carrots are very bad for rabbits. People with pet rabbits kept feeding them carrots when they shouldn't be more than the occasional treat.

That makes even less sense cause squirrels are known for having big bushy tails.

>yellow
not really
>orange
close enough

That's just the gentler side of mad scientist trope, he's a reculse to justify that his world looks like ours instead of being a futuristic techtopia.

There was a girl on my FB who 1 day made a post about her "favorite rabbit who loved it when she fed it watermelon sourpatch kids" and 2 or 3 days later she posted that the rabbit died

As a kid I just assumed Americans had weird squirrels.

Emmentaler tastes like shit desu.

Kek

Chipmunks aren't well known here in Europe so, for marketing purposes, most countries translate things like Alvin and the chipmunks as Alvin and the squirrels. Chipmunks are part of the squirrel family so it's technically not wrong.

It sure does but for some reason that's the cheese Americans chose to represent "Swiss cheese". I think they just like the holes.

The vet said the rabbit had a heart attack

>cheetah trying to lure a bird.mov

How about you fuck off

I thought that was a qt sharkgirl with anime hair for a sec

Is there an emmentaler internet defense force now?

Look pal I got relatives from Switzerland and Germany and I've eaten lots of cheese in my life. Emmentaler sucks.

I think Dexter was in 6th grade and technically the Tiny Toons were in "Looniversity" which should mean they were college aged except they were obsessed with hall passes

>I think they just like the holes.
Well, if I were eating emmentaler, the holes would be my favorite part too.

yeah, know try to aim for the small eyes of a slippery animal that retracts them before a layer of skin just before it starts swimming at you

Tell that to the glorious leader of North Korea, who eats it 6 times a day.

Imagine you're a gazelle, running for your life from some powerful predator running you down in an open field at 70 mph... and suddenly it starts tweeting at you.

Cheetah's don't actually chase down their prey... they confuse them so much that the prey stops dead in its tracks for a moment to do a double take.

>OH GOD IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR ME! OH GOD I'M GONNA DIE! I'M GONNA DIE! I'M GONNA...... did that thing just fucking tweet at m-

>I sure as shit didn't know any 9-12 year olds who were given complete free reign to go anywhere in town at all times when I was that age.
I'm guessing Hey Arnold is loosely based off of the creator's own life in which it wasn't that uncommon for kids to roam around unsupervised. My mom and dad tell me stories of how in their childhood, before they were teenagers, how they went all over the city and even during summer breaks would be out all night until the sun came up playing and going on adventures

I hated that in TT, too, but in retrospect, it was sort of a private school kinda affair and it's not like TT or Animaniacs were known for their sticking to realism.

That's fair, and as a kid I rode my bike or even walked to the library halfway across town a few times in my childhood, to a degree which would horrify any parents today...

That's weird. America doesnt have kangaroos naturally but we wouldnt name them something else based on that

Yeah it's not like they changed Knuckles away from being an Echidna in the US, despite nobody knowing what the fuck that is

Yeah its sad how badly we have to shelter our kids nowadays. But thats life

I can confirm. Unlike today's kids who exist only as a two-legged extension to their smartphones, my parents would spend every summer vacation running around the neighborhood, learning important life lessons and solving mysteries involving masked crooks (what was with that 70's monster mask crime wave, anyway?).

Back in the day he was sometimes called a mole, but i think it was just a mistranslation.

I wonder why dogs don't talk to us anymore. The fuck did we do?

Well sure but what the fuck are you going to name a kangaroo that looks even remotely close to it or behaves like it. Same for the tazmanian devil, its species is integral to its behavior. Besides Americans are familiar with kangaroos, everyone is, they're unique and goofy-looking. It's not like there's that much that's uniquely chipmunkesque about Chip and Dale.

Overall it's a bit retarded but pretty harmless.

Ok maybe kangaroos was too far left. But it would be like calling hyenas, dogs. Or a gazelle or impala a deer. Its unnecessary but you're right, its not a big deal

Ok grandpa.

It's even more impressive considering species is pretty much entirely irrelevant to Sonic beyond a modicum of design clues.

Should be noted though that Knuckles came to the US in the mid-90s while Chip and Dale came to Europe in the 40s or 50s. Naming conventions have changed a lot over time, as evidenced by the French version of Alvin keeping the "chipmunks" part in English (because the French word for chipmunk (tamia) is still as obscure as ever).

But Americans do know what hyenas and gazelles are, and impala just falls under the generic well-known "antelope" term.

Not saying that you're wrong but those aren't as unknown as a chipmunk is to a Euro. But hey, sometimes we get to be the ignorant ones who aren't even trying to learn.

Going by crime rates kids are safer now than they were in the past. With the ubiquity of smartphones it's now harder for kids to become lost and easier to find them too.

The point though is that those species aren't native out here but that didnt stop American channels from changing it to a more well known animal. And they're well known because of tv media rather than general education on the animals

Cheetahs - the Candlejack of the jung-

>And they're well known because of tv media rather than general education on the animals
Well yeah but every fucking animal documentary takes place in Africa because they have the coolest animals, when's the last time you saw anything about chipmunks that wasn't something animated where they were entirely replaceable by squirrels?

We don't have hyenas or kangaroos either and we don't change their names, because they're animals everybody knows, unlike chipmunks.

Also I guess both Americans and Europeans tend to rename tanukis as racoons in anime translations.

CANDLEJACK DOES NOT PUT A DASH AT THE EN

I dont have percentages but there are quite a few documentaries that I've seen about chipmunk. Not an hour long or chipmunk focused special but they exist. And isn't a tanuki nust another word for raccoon?

Not quite

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_raccoon_dog

Fair enough. You win this argument

>there are quite a few documentaries that I've seen about chipmunk
Really? I've never seen one. I guess we don't get them here.
>And isn't a tanuki nust another word for raccoon?
No, tanukis are translated in English as "racoon dogs" but they more closely related to dogs.

Wow it actually looks a Pomeranian

a giant purple gorilla aint your friend.

"Survive for a bit while I go do the 'TIMMY'S FALLEN IN A WELL!' bit" supplies. Goat's milk, a blanket, probably some hot packs.

Do you change skunks to polecats or something too? Or are those too well known?

I always wondered if monkeys actually like bananas as much as they do in cartoons.

I think it's more like monkeys will eat whatever they get their hands on:

Fruit, berries, insects, peanuts, feces, human babies, etc.

ultimate kek

Same color as Xavier's chair

Kind of absurd that crime is so much lower now than it was in the 60s and 70s, yet kids are given so much less freedom.

Free range children need to come back. I think the trend since the 90s of cloistering children is one of the things leading to the current SJW wave.

Has there ever been a solid explanation for it?

An old one I remember reading is that, while obviously it's very, VERY bad to actually be drunk in the freezing cold, it induces a feeling of warmth that could potentially help the individual stand the cold, even if in reality it's probably making the situation worse.

snap!