So I just finished marathoning this (including Return of the Joker) and my verdict is as follows: Terry desperately...

So I just finished marathoning this (including Return of the Joker) and my verdict is as follows: Terry desperately needs a better rogues gallery. Batman had guys like Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, and Clayface who had great designs and the ability to evoke sympathy. Terry rogues, on the other hand...

>The Jokers
Great in RotJ when you had distinct members like the Hyena Dude and the Dee Dees, but otherwise they could just be any sort of generic thugs.

>Inque
The revelation that she had a daughter (and therefore a family) came too little too late (although the episode that reveals said daughter has a GREAT ending).

>Willy
In one episode, he uses a construction robot to get back at bullies and gets the power to control it with his mind. He loses the robot, but gets telekinesis. Unfortunately, he also only got one episode where he used his telekinesis (although it has a pretty good shower scene. Thanks, Bruce Timm).

>Blight
Spends too much time as a crooked business man and not enough time as a radioactive criminal who uses radiation to fuck shit up.

>The Terrific Trio
A parody of the Fantastic Four. Died in the episode where they were introduced.

>Shriek
A villain who used sound as a weapon, but had a HORRIBLY generic design and bland overall characterization.

>The Royal Flush Gang
Mel was supposed to be Terry's Selina Kyle, but in order to do that, she would've needed to 1) Be on her own, 2) have a better costume, and 3) remain at moral odds with Terry. Otherwise, It's just a shame that she had 1,000X better chemistry with him than with his canonical girlfriend/future wife.

>Spellbinder
Using essentially the same strategy as Scarecrow, but using both desire AND fear to manipulate people was incredibly interesting, but he didn't get enough screen time and his costume sucked.

>Curaré
Why is a world-class assassin dressed in all white?

>Chimera
Splicing was one the coolest ideas the show had, but for some reason it was regulated to one episode (two if you count the episode with the gorilla and three if you count the episode where it's mentioned that a pop-star had splicing done to her).

>Tony
Chemicals caused him to become one with dirt and earth, but being immobile meant he would have had to have been taken by another villain to use his powers. Unfortunately, that never happens, so he only gets one episode.

>Robert Vance
A rogue AI who takes over Terry's suit. Only got one episode.

>Carter Wilson
Remember how I said The Jokers needed more distinct members? Carter was one, but he only got one episode and had a generic/bland design (seeing a trend, yet?).

>The Stalker
Hunter motivated by the desire to be the best hunter ever. Only got two episodes and in the second, he's Terry's ally.

>Rat Boy
Another one episode wonder. Shame, because controlling a legion of rats would've been pretty cool.

>Mad Stan
An anarchist who explodes stuff and is voiced by Henry Rollins. Nuff said.

>Armory
One episode. Goes back to being a good guy in the end. His thing is that he was a weapons designer with a boring spec-ops outfit.

>Ian Peak
Has a belt that lets him pass through solid object. Unfortunately, the effect becomes permanent and he falls into the center of the earth. One episode.

>The Cobras
They're a cult and they're called The Cobras. That's everything you need to know.

>Simon Harper
Tricks nerds into doing shit by making them think they're Jedis. One episode.

>Payback
One episode. He was a little kid that wore a suit, so perhaps that was for the better.

>Untouchable
A dude in a suit that generates a field that makes him impervious to most damage. A cool idea, but he was introduced in the final Season so...

>Big Time
A former friend of Terry who was mutated into basically the elephant man, but with muscles and shit. Having a villain who knew Terry personally was a step up, but he only got two of the final seasons episodes to shine.

And that's about it. Thoughts? Best girls? Did you think the big reveal in the movie was far-fetched and ridiculous?

>re-use the classic villains
Wow, they don't even have any original ideas (plus, they are all old and wrinkly and stuff).

>use blatant ripoffs of classic villains
Wow, they aren't even trying. Hacks!

>use original villains
Eh, they can try, but NOTHING will top the classic villains!

Can Batman fans be pleased? No.

What made the original good was the villains and Beyond either didn't dive into them enough or relegated them to one episode. It's not a bad show, but it lacked antagonists that could really stand out.

Part of what made Beyond good was Terry not trying to be like Bruce

That.

I think the differences here come from the overall shift in tone and theme that Beyond had from the original show.

BTAS focused on the dark, twisted psyche of not only Bruce and his villains, but also of his world and the people in it. The running theme for most villains being "What drives men to madness?" That's a fairly complex theme that can lend itself well to deep exploration, cause each example can be wildly different. And since Batman had a hard code against killing (and it was a kids show) that meant the villains could keep coming back and their motives could be further explored and developed.

Cont.

They're less interesting because unlike Bruce, Terry has absolutely no qualms with fucking murdering them.

>The jokers
Street level trash that represents the young idolizing old villains to be edgy and rebel. Only a menace to normal people, not batman
>inque and blight
Great rogues that we didn't get to see enough
>Willy
Not a rogue, just a victim of bullying. I wanted him to be good
>Shriek
Okay villain but feels like the power gap between him and batman was increasing. Also I liked his simplistic design
>Ten
Too hot for TV, too good for us. Quota kept her winning the terrybowl
>spellbinder
His costume is fine
>chimera and body modifications in general
Best part of batman beyond is when science looks like magic. Shame we never got a "big bad" for the body modders. Chainsaw elbows and knees best mods.
>Tony
Is just an angry dude with a tragic story, best as one-off tale about revenge
>The stalker
Could have been good, should never had allied with batman
>mad Stan
This batman's version of the joker, nothing more nothing less
>the cobra
They needed at least one organization trying to take over the world
>big time
They really forced this guy on us, wasn't that bad but forgettable.
>everyone else
Either whatever-tier or best as single episode "monster of the week"

>>re-use the classic villains
>Wow, they don't even have any original ideas (plus, they are all old and wrinkly and stuff).
I don't know the Mr. Freeze episode was one of the best in the series IMHO, especially the ending.

With Beyond, the creators have said that they intentionally wanted to give it its own identity and not just be what the studio was asking for, which was Batman in High School. The future setting and Old Bruce went a long way to shaping what would ultimately become one of the major running themes of the show, "Power corrupts." In an era with rapidly advancing technology that could produce amazing, superhuman results, Terry finds himself up against villains who take advantage of the power technology gives them and go wild with it.

Spellbinder is a perfect example, at one time a psychiatrist working with troubled children, he felt he was shortchanged by their parents and started using the VR equipment he developed for therapeutic purposes to control people and make them steal for him.

Shriek is another, who turned what would've been simple media equipment into a deadly weapon.

Most of the villains seem to be motivated by greed or revenge against society, which when held up against the rampant psychosis of traditional Batman villains seems less complex, but that's because the real danger came from the world itself. Monsters and super-villains were being created like it was Marvel in the 60s, and the show's tone, described by Bruce Timm himself as being, "Darker and nastier" than the old show, reflected this by showing just how quickly people would embrace power to serve their own ends.

Cont.

As for the brevity of most of the villains, that's just show business for you. They had no way of knowing which villains would stick and which wouldn't, and they had to keep plugging along.

The fact that most of these villains met with some gruesome end, like Earthmover, Inside Eye and Bullwhip, was, again, to show how much worse the world had gotten. Old Bruce never seemed to give a crap about the fates of these guys because he was old and calloused, and Terry was usually just trying to survive, usually leading to the villains doing themselves in.

I also think it was because they wanted to establish these rogues as being more dangerous than Batman's old enemies, and therefore they couldn't just let them keep running around. They weren't scheming bank robbers, they were monsters who were going to cause a lot of destruction. I think they even illustrated this point in Inque's first appearance when she deliberately smashes the display cases of the old villains in the Batcave, as if to say, "These guys were nothing compared to me."

Overall, I think Beyond's rogues were serviceable on average, and great on the high end. They fit well into the world and the show. Those that recurred were used well for the most part, even if their characterization wasn't explored in-depth.

I don't remember him straight up killing anyone. Usually, they died from something outside of Terry's control.

This show was dark.

List doesn't mention the Jokerz member that Joker murdered in front of everyone.

>remain at moral odds with Terry.
She does, their dynamic is just different from Bruce and Selina because while Terry is Bruce's protege with his dark side being his rebellious nature, Mel is Donna's daughter and her dark side is being too obedient to her mother.
The moral conflict comes from the two kids having a Romeo Juliet thing and having to decide whether it's better for each other to defy everyone else or for everyone else to hold to their expected roles. The fact their alter egos are strangers, well at least as Mel sees it, adds to their conflict being more genuine compared to the cat and mouse of other similar cases.

I will say though that regardless of the dynamic of Mel and Terry, Ten and Batman could only go so far.

Also a lot of the villains are clearly homages to stuff, and I don't mean Spidey's rogues either I mean like how Willy's 2nd appearance is obviously just to reference Akira (then again his first might also count) and the rogue AI I can't quite recall the exact source but HAL 9000 comes to mind, the killer Sexdroid is another case where it's likely drawing from sci-fi horror so it's unlikely they planned or were willing to elaborate on the concepts beyond what's established.

H, several N's, and a few G's, my nigga.

This list doesn't mention that one of Inque's main forms of attack was by FORCING HERSELF INTO TERRY'S LUNGS AND DROWNING DROWNING HIM

Why is it so hard for any of the Batman Beyond comics to be good or actually feel like the show? I haven't read a single Beyond comic that I've liked.

We all know Terry survived it.

everything you're describing is great though and all your problems are retarded

I especially like the Return of the Joker movie for being a superb cyberpunk story.
You had corporate schemes and schenanigans, body mods, high tech, punks beating up each another, a generation conflict, and evil rogue A.I.s (the Joker microchip doing all the nasty thing with the personality of the old Joker, but with the supersmartness of a microcomputer and the added smartness from Timm Drake hyjacking orbital lasercanons).

As someone who suffers from Tinnitus, what happened to shriek at the end of his first episode was terrifying.

>blond white girl
>dreadlocks
Fuck off with this, at least Dana had a tight Azn pussy instead of the hallway leading to Mel's meatloaf insides.

I think it's supposed to just be voluminous or messy.

do girls do this in real life

Phase through matter? Not that I know, then again I haven't had contact with one in some time so it might be a recent thing.

To be fair, it WAS established that matter can pass through other matter...

Looks like his investigation finally lead him to the bottom of things.

Why is reddit here?

By the time TAS was made Batman had been around for 50 years vs Terry's rogues being created as they went

He cut the cables on some industrial size paper rollers that typically weigh tons. It crushes like 3 guys helping nu-Bane make Venom patches.

Anyone like Maxine?

She had her moments, but some of her flaws were way too grating.
Like the one thing that rubbed me wrong from the beginning is how she digs into Batman and the Jokerz, and when she thinks Terry is one or the other she causes him a lot of stress. He still comes to her aid when all that goes south and as thanks for saving her life due to her own hubris instead of just being quiet about it she makes it out he owes her for covering for Dana now. The show makes it out that it works out for both of them, but the initial lack of humility given all she caused left me annoyed.

Then there's the druggie episode, granted she had to be flawed there due to the plot and story revolving around the dangers of addiction and detachment from reality and her background but for fuck's sake again Terry finds himself crawling through the mud because he's a decent person and she has the last minute save and sympathy pull so we're supposed to just tuck it all under the rug.

This last one wasn't that bad but it was all the above that made it the last straw for me. There was that episode where Bruce and her are looking for Terry and in one or two scenes she acts a smidgen too smug for her station with him, this man is not just corporate powerhouse in Gotham but highly trained expert in various fields and above all the fucking Batman who has kept her city from collapsing in on itself his entire life.
Show some respect.

>dreadlocks

fuck, Sup Forums is officially retarded

Pretty much any girl who wasn't Dana had better chemistry with Terry than her. Dana was all looks and no personality other than getting annoyed that she doesn't get to see her boyfriend as much as she'd like to. It's no wonder Terry cheated on her twice with Mel.

I'd clown around with the Dee Dees if you know what I mean.

One of my favourite things about Batman Beyond was that most of the villains were one off

A little whipped cream, a vibrating joybuzzer, and we'd have some squirting flowers in no time.

...oh God, I need help.

Nice to read. Not sure i agree 100%, but appreciated hearing someone else's point of view.

I was always upset at how quick it felt they dealt with Blight. As the man who killed Terry's dad, it would have been interesting to see him try even harder to keep him alive, only for Blight to suffer and go mad. Oh well.

This was pretty good, user.
I now really want to re-watch the show again.

That.

They'd end up killing/maiming you before you got to the sex?

Kobra with a K. And they, Spellbinder and Royal Flush Gang have been around a lot longer than you think.

>I was always upset at how quick it felt they dealt with Blight

I liked Blight, but he wasn't much of a character. He was Lex Luthor with laser beams and more spaghetti rage, which is fun for a season arc but doesn't lend itself to a series-long antagonist.

>Nelson's car
Press F to pay respects

You take what you can get.

I agree, and it was good to see him dealt with, but I think we all thought the same as Terry did at the end of the ep, that he couldn't possibly have gone down that easy.

Turns out he did, and kudos to the creative team for sticking with that and resisting the temptation to make his son a big deal, but I think we all secretly hoped he'd pop up one last time for a real showdown.

Ah well.

Who is the goatee guy

Basically Bane Beyond, somewhat less skilled though.

I think he popped up again at some point in the tie-in comic.

Well, duh. Normal life of Terry was a secondary and Dana wasn't invited to Batman's side. There isn't really a way to show their chemistry (if there was) if you don't show anything.

Rocksteady just put you in charge of an Arkham Beyond game. Which villains do you use? Which are main story and which side missions?

Is there a way to make the Beyond suit not look like total shit in 3D?

Yes, but with different shaders. Cel-shaded to somewhat emulate a cartoon style would make it blend better because the lack of details.

I like the Rocksteady games, but they'd do a terrible Beyond game.

>Terry gets turned into a grunting, monosyllabic cunt because that's the only version of batman they let themselves write

>the villains lose their fun early 2000's cyberpunk aesthetic for edgelord dirty hobo looks

>Ten turned into a horny fuckslut like the rest of the women on RS games

>they would adapt return of the joker because apparently it's seemingly illegal to do a Batman game without the Joker.

I've always said Beyond had lame villains, and this is why an Arkham game set in Batman Beyond times would be horrid.

>Ten turned into a horny fuckslut like the rest of the women on RS games
Hasn't Ten always been a horny fuckslut? She might be the perfect character for them.

She really would have looked good in spots.
In all seriousness, that could have also added some depth to things if the technology wasn't just inevitably evil.

I also thought it was weird how even though the transformation is a procedure that happened gradually, the cure is so instant that it even causes body mass to somehow disappear, but it's superhero cartoons so I guess that isn't the weirdest thing.

Since when is Cobra not a cool name for an organization?

>Did you think the big reveal in the movie was far-fetched and ridiculous?

Yes.

Ten was DTF, but Rocksteady writes their female characters like someone out of an Austin Powers movie.

Catwoman's double entandres wanted to make me kill myself. They somehow made a woman with huge breasts in skintight material totally sexually unappealing.

Inque takes down the electrical grid for a portion of Gotham. Quickly, the Royal Flush Gang, Jokerz and Splicers descend upon the area in a looting spree. A bunch of other side-villains are there too, the focus of the game is putting everyone back behind bars and finding out who hired Inque to shut down the district and why. You save people, fight crime. You fly in the suit, a strong emphasis on verticality with multiple levels of the district, some belong to certain Corporations and others are more commercial or slummy.

There's also a side-quest where Ace accidentally turns the Batmobile on and it flies off and you have to chase it down and stop it before it causes too much damage.

You need a big bad with some agency in your plot, user.

I thought it was dreadlocks too.

Terry doesn't really have any big bads outside of Blight.

There's Cyber-Joker, but no more Joker Rocksteady please I beg you

Frankly, Blight should have been a bigger bad in the show. He just sort of leaves as it goes on. Someone post the sandwich picture.

I enjoyed most of Batman Beyond 2.0 aside from the alternate universe and Phantasm stuff

>tie-in comic
that disease is best killed early

>Frankly, Blight should have been a bigger bad in the show.

Meh, I already wrote my thoughts on that earlier

>Terry goes after the guy who hired Inque. Turns out it's blight and you go after him half of the story.
>You finally fight him, but when you beat him he reveals he was being manipulated by someone. He's killed by an assassin before he can tell.
>Half a story later, you find the assassin...it's Bruce himself!
>You track him down and he explains he isn't being himself, that something has driven him to become criminal.
>Turns out ayy it was the Joker inside Bruce's head again! This time enhanced by techo shenanigans
>One QTE later, game ends just the same way as in the movie.

Rocksteady and WB approved.