RIP Steve Dillon

So I took a break from reading comics for almost a year, just work and spent more time on vidya as a hobby. But I've started to get back into it and, holy shit... I mean its sad and all... but goddamn I'm so glad I'll never be subjected to his shitty art again.

But still, the meme is amazing... So in honor of his death, how bout a Frank thread?

I do miss the occasional Frank face thread.

I came close to pissing myself a few times in Frank face threads. Anyone have the Frank that shoots Franks one?

>Shitty art.
Look, he's no Alex Ross, I'll give you that, but there is no other man capable of truly depicting Frank Castle. Absolutely fucking no one. The man could Frank a Frank like no other motherfranker could.

Frank face really spread from Sup Forums.

you havent read many punisher comics then

When everbody's Frank... Everybody's Frank.

>but goddamn I'm so glad I'll never be subjected to his shitty art again

man this takes me back, Sup Forums had a whiteboard doodle thing going and I did Frank

Heres the Template if anyone feels like making some Fresh Franks.

I'm a massive Punisher fanboy. There are numerous high quality renditions of the Punisher, ranging from Marco Checchetto's more grim and realistic designs to Gil Kane's more supervillainous design for him back in the 80s with the fucking jumpsuit to John Romita's Gorilla-Frank, but as I said, they're just renditions of the Punisher. They are not the Punisher as is, they are not the ultimate end-all depiction. Steve Dillon's scowling, lording motherfucker will always be the one true Frank to anyone who's actually given a shit about the character.

>I’ve known Steve for decades but this is a more recent one. Of late, there had been a meme regarding what was described as “Frank Face”, based on Steve Dillon’s inclination to draw this psychopathic murderer with the exact same expression from panel to panel, and to find it on other characters as well.

>I remember chatting with Steve at the MCM London Comic Con bar last year (lemonades all round) to find that a) not only was he very familiar with the meme but that b) was putting in examples of the expression on purpose into everything he did, just to feed it further.

Dillon was /ourguy/

But if you want him doing top-notch art, check out his work back in the day for 2000 AD. Amazing shit.

>But if you want him doing top-notch art, check out his work back in the day for 2000 AD. Amazing shit.
Absolutely. I've been slowly going through Dredd from Prog 2 and forwards and Dillon is instantly recognizable and much better than the parody of himself he became in the recent years.

holy shit

>a) not only was he very familiar with the meme but that b) was putting in examples of the expression on purpose into everything he did, just to feed it further

Based.

Frank In Peace, Steve.

yeah fuck you, shame you didn't die in his place cunt

OP doesn't know about

>tfw you will never get a Frank World event

It's distracting how badly that is drawn.

Fuck you dude, his early, non Marvel (I mean Marvel US)/DC stuff is great. It was only when the big two started chucking cash at him that he became lazy as fuck, still, you cannot criticise his storytelling, breakdowns (or "panelling" as you like to call it, for some reason) and overall composition at all. He knew his anatomy pretty well too. Sameface I can forgive.

But yes, let's continue this awesome maymay

Alex Ross is no storyteller, he's just an illustrator. Great technique but for "flow" and that Greenbergian idea of "medium specificity" he's not very good at all. That overtly-detectable photo-reffing really takes me out of the comic-reading experience.
Btw I have never read a Dillon Punisher comic, ever.

>Btw I have never read a Dillon Punisher comic, ever.
You're doing a disservice to yourself. He's one of the main artists for Ennis' Punisher stuff. The two flow together very well. Hell, one of the scenes in I think it was Marvel Knights was so iconic it was used in the Daredevil show.

Recommendations? I don't mind Ennis too much but I hardly read any capeshit these days...it'd be appreciated if they're available as cheap softcover volumes, too. Please and thank you

>shitty art

You're an idiot. Dillon's art, like many others', simply looks like complete shit with modern coloring. That and he was justifiably lazy when drawing capes. His earlier stuff is great.

There's numerous entries for Ennis Punisher, but a lot of them tend to just be labeled "The Punisher."

>The Punisher (2000-2001) (Also known as The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank and Marvel Knights Punisher)
>The Punisher (2001-2004)
>The Punisher/Punisher MAX (2004-2008) (Also known as Frank Castle: The Punisher from issues 66-75)
>Punisher MAX (2009-2012)

Pretty much all your Dillon and Ennis Frankage is going to be in these issues.

THANK YOU!!!!
Lel

This is the only funko figure I'd actually buy

Steve Dillion was not a bad artist IMO.

His lineart is absolutely spectacular, it's coloring that fucks him.

His art was sometimes extremely good (for me, it was best in Hellblazer), sometimes not so much. He had an extraordinary workload sometimes and AFAIK was never late, so it's clear that he "standardized" his style quite a bit over the years.

Still, franking is quite amazing and I hear Steve Dillon liked the meme as well.

Is this real?! It should be!!!

Bad coloring, and the same face is real.

I think the most atrocious one, that HAD to be Steve just being a troll, was when he drew Peter and Aunt May. Holy fuck, its so bad. You'll laugh your ass off, he pretty much made his own Frank Face meme comic and got paid for it.

And I think the worst coloring was every time he draws the Hulk. The one ongoing where Hulk is bald, and the famous Ultimate Avengers 3 where we get one of our most beloved Sup Forums banners from.

Outside of these things, yes his artwork was exemplary.

You do know he didn't do the coloring himself, right?

>I'm so glad I'll never be subjected to his shitty art again

you are one of those guys that watches justin bieber videos just to shit on the fans in the comments, right?

get laid and a life fatty

one day, when i will became human i will goo out all into his art.

>Avatarfagging
Why

Oh of course. I'm just saying those moments ruined his work and made it look much worse. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Its crazy that his one face is soooo damn bad... You could see it back in the day's of Preacher, take of Cassidy's glasses and him, Jessie and Tulip look like triplets on every panel. Just damn it is bad... but his anatomy is fantastic, and his gore is spot on disgusting.

RIP in peace Dillon