The Hero's Lair

Do you think it's important for a hero to have their own recognizable headquarters?

I ask because I've noticed that they aren't nearly as prominent as one might think, and naturally this raises the question of where comics characters keep all their equipment and such.

Aquaman has his lighthouse on the surface.
Underwater I think you don't really need to explain where he keeps his stuff because he can keep it in royal vaults and shit.

Not too familiar with Aquaman stuff, but did Arthur trick out the lighthouse with computers and scanning equipment and whatnot? Or did he just leave as is because it's where he grew up?

It's just the normal lighthouse. I don't think most heroes need a headquarters like the batcave. I mean Superman's fortress of solitude isn't really an "HQ" perse, it's more like a mancave where he goes for downtime most of the time.

I vaguely recall seeing a home computer but it's mostly regular lighthouse.

Was the quiver name for green arrows lair ever made canon in mainline?

I dunno, like heromobiles, headquarters are a thing that just make logical sense. And like heromobiles, very few heroes have them anymore.

Cosidering how he's broke now

better question is what are some heroes do for living, who fund x-men now?

No. It is not important but it's nice when they have one. I think they are cool. But it doesn't suit every type of hero, you know?

I like how Static's place is just a run down gas station.

Most of them have day jobs or get funding from various organizations. Vixen for example is a fashion model and charity activist, Blue Beetle II runs his own corporation, and Batman is a trust fund baby.

I don't follow the X-Men, but I'm guessing from your words they don't get funding from the Shi'Ar Empire anymore? Xavier probably has some manner of private enterprise going on. Though comics are terrified of exploring logistics, so I doubt the X books have gone into it.

Didn't Xavier have a lot of personal wealth? Plus scholarships trust and stuff.

Mutie prostitution, user. It's a big scandal just waiting to break.

>Didn't Xavier have a lot of personal wealth?
Yeah, but from what? What enterprise is he running to be able to open up a highly specialized private school in upstate New York?

I'm honestly surprised a MAX series hasn't done that yet.

Does aquaman have a heromobile?
How fast can he swim anyway?

I'm just going to assume that Atlantis has a healthy submarine fleet. Cause it's pretty fucking dumb if they don't. Arthur and Mera could just grab one if they needed to.

Yikes, now I imagine they've got aquatic cars too. Layered roadways and three-dimensional traffic...

>How fast can he swim anyway?
Extremely fast. Like, almost speedster tier fast. You have to remember Arthur is powerful even by atlantean standards. He's basically a super-atlantean. I remember there was an early New 52 issue where he's swimming across the city and scares his citizens who barely even realized it was someone swimming.
I don't know how quickly he can reach those speeds though. He might have a high top speed, but shit acceleration compared to Flash or Supes.

His family was crazy rich. So I'm assuming heir to massive investments.

Personal HQ usually only serves dramatic plots. Like "shits gone REAALLY bad" and it's being intruded/blew up. Like avengers mansion
It's ok for Bats though

It has a fleet but I am fairly sure aquaman can outpace it.
There was an arc where the fleet was mad that Arthur kept using the drift (small special forces team) instead of the main body of the fleet.

>Yeah, but from what? What enterprise is he running to be able to open up a highly specialized private school in upstate New York?
The school's probably not free

Well before he went broke, he just had a bunker I think.

Why is it okay for Batman, but nobody else? Does the fucker have dibs on the concept now?

Why would other heroes need an HQ? I mean Supes has the fortress but he rarely uses it for actual problems, it's main purpose is for Clark to just chill, it's basically his mancave. Bats needs the HQ since its where he stores all his shit also to analyze crime. The only heroes that have their own lair are usually street level since they kinda need it but why would Flash, GL, etc need a lair anyway? Also they already have team bases for meetings.

>surprised a MAX series
Have many books even done that before? I can only think of the Shocking Suzie story from H.E.R.O. and Morrison's Silver Bulleteer, but both of those were DC

I think it helps to have a place to "got to work".
Even like an office in your place. But just something that has things organized to some degree or at very least things aren't just mixed in with your day to day shit.

Specifically for heroes, I think it's a good idea not to work directly out of your home. That shit is just asking for trouble.

>"Why would a forensic scientist and a space cop need an HQ to work out of?"
user, everyone, regardless of occupation, needs a place to put their stuff.

>it's a good idea not to work directly out of your home. That shit is just asking for trouble.
Also, THIS. No superhero should ever work out of their own house. That's such a dumb idea, it should instantly be labelled as bad writing.

>user, everyone, regardless of occupation, needs a place to put their stuff.
Yeah its called a house or an apartment. I mean where are they even gonna fork the money for a secret HQ anyway? Also why would each individual hero need a headquarters/secret lair.

Xavier fucked people over with telepathy to make money, the same way Emma Frost did.

To keep shit from being associated with your real identity. As some measure of prevention to being attacked while your sleeping or engaging in personal business.So the firemen that breaks into your apartment because you left the iron on and set the fire alarm off doesn't stumble across your spare costume.

Even if you just bought an old used car and kept you shit in the trunk and worked out of that. It's a better step than working out of your home.

I don't know man, seems like too much trouble just to keep your secret, secret. Just keep your shit in a safe, you don't really need a fucking lair for all your trophies.

It's also a good place to go when you need to lay low for a while, or as a means of defense, or to keep your crime tracking gear, or to store interesting artifacts you've collected, or a space to analyze evidence, , or to do science stuff, or to store and maintain your equipment... There's like, a hundred reasons to have your own headquarters, dude.

>Also why would each individual hero need a headquarters/secret lair?
Because hero lairs are cool and facilitate characterization.

The Legion of Super-Heroes' headquarters is an upside-down rocket ship. That is gloriously comic books.

We're talking about personal headquarters here right? and not team base of operations? I don't think "lairs" work for other heroes and most "lairs" are usually where heroes live and sleep in, like Hawkman's "lair" is the museum it's not really a "lair" if you compare it to the batcave or the fortress of solitude, or Aquaman's "lair" is just a light house, if those are considered lairs, then I say yeah heroes should have lairs but not lairs in the level of batcaves and crystal castles.

The Legion getting their own cartoon was a miracle tbqh

It was pretty good, didn't like season 2 that much with edgy superboy clone.

Personal headquarters. Even though team HQs are cool too, most of the time, the individual characters are their own established names who have careers outside the team. Exceptions of course are the Legion of Super-Heroes, the Titans(mostly), the X-Men, Fantastic Four, any group that started as a group. It'd be really weird, for example, if each member of the Justice League didn't have their own place they set up before meeting the others.

Which is, well, kinda sad, really.

Does Flash have his own headquarters? Jay and Barry, that is. Wally 1 has Titans Tower, while Wally 2 has... um, wherever the hell Deathstroke's team hangs out.